Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Let it loose
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 10, 2008 12:45

I have heard this song countless times,but again last night I was struck again from it's quality.I love the lyrics,the way Mick is singing,the horns everything.That's why I consider Rolling Stones so much better that anyone else.They are not the typical rock band like Guns 'n' Roses for example.
They have such a great variety in the songs that it amazes me.What's your opinion on the song?

Re: Let it loose
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 10, 2008 12:55

One of the BEST unplayed tracks IMO. Very special and full of emotion. Would be hard to fill these shoes nowadays, though because you'd have to be really "on" to recreate this feeling live

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-10 12:57 by Greenblues.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: April 10, 2008 12:57

One of their best. Would be so good played live. Like Loving Cup is much better the studio version.

Date: April 10, 2008 13:02

Fantastic song! The sound, the arrangement, Jagger's vocals, the horns, the BU-vox. A classic.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: April 10, 2008 13:06

My favourite Stones track by a considerable distance - due to be the first dance at my wedding next year (though I'm not sure my intended has studied the lyrics too closely).

Those who insist the Stones should just be about 'hard''rock' have pretty much missed the point. I love the arrangements on songs of this period - the horns, the keyboards, the backing vox, etc.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 10, 2008 13:52

That's why I don't get bored with this band.It's not one thing or two.It has much more and most people don't know it.I don't if it could be done live.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:04

fyi Gun 's' Roses d.o.a. since 1993.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:07

StratoGR
I have heard this song countless times,but again last night I was struck again from it's quality.I love the lyrics,the way Mick is singing,the horns everything.That's why I consider Rolling Stones so much better that anyone else.They are not the typical rock band like Guns 'n' Roses for example.
They have such a great variety in the songs that it amazes me.What's your opinion on the song?

In a few short words - it's unquestionably the best vocal of Mick Jagger's entire career (especially the second half of it)

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:18

Gazza

In a few short words - it's unquestionably the best vocal of Mick Jagger's entire career (especially the second half of it)

That's what I had in mind when I said, it could be hard to live up to live, especially nowadays. Mick has obviously worked hard on his singing lately, and I admire that big time. But to come up with that much emotion would be something else...

That said, I also like his singing on the (not-so-definitive) "1972 Tour Rehearals" renditions.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:31

I wouldnt worry too much about that. If they chose not to play a song because members of the band couldnt do it justice as well as they could decades ago (especially in the studio), theres a long list of songs which they shouldnt touch, but yet still manage to perform to a level which can vary from acceptable to very good.

They should be (and generally are) adaptable enough to work around it

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:37

An understated masterpiece! Love that 'In the bar you're getting drunk line". It's one of those really great Stones songs that sound so good Sunday Morning Coming Down 'when your friends all leave you in the cold grey dawn'. File next to Coming Down Again.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:55

Not only are Jagger's vocals brilliant, but so too are those from the backing singers. Subtle and soulful.

...a different class from the kind of shoddy vocal arrangements that we are forced to tolerate from the modern-era stage show.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:27

In my younger and more vulnerable years (to quote Fitzgerald),
I used to skip this track.
NOw I think it's the best track on Exile.
Same with Can You Hear The Music and Salt Of The Earth.
I used to skip those a lot, too.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:30

DAMN IT!

I forgot to add this to the 'best lyrics' thread!

YES! This song is one of those underapprecited tracks which still today move me like I'd heard them for the first time. I hope they never ruin it by doing it live in the future!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 10, 2008 19:30

It just doesn't get any better than Let It Loose. Wish I wasn't at work right now so I could give that song a listen. Oh well, I've got Exile in my car so I'll give it a listen on my lunch break.
I love listening to Exile after smoking some kind bud! But the weed will have to wait til tonight though.

"And I'm growin' funny flowers in my little window sill"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:34

Yeah........... smoking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 10, 2008 21:01

I only got two darn things to say on Let It Loose:

MICK'S BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE, EEEVEEER!!!

One of the very few songs that make me cry EVERYTIME I listen to them!
There are some song of the Stones (no other band has the effect on me) that made me cry the first time I heard them and still do sometimes, the best examples are Sister Morphine, Memory Motel and Let It Loose. But Let It Loose is the ONLY one that makes me bowl EVERY F****** TIME!

Now, I gotta listen to it again! I need it now!

my mother recently said to me she doesn't think Mick has a good singing voice. (she said she likes keith's voice better) I mean, okay, I don't think so, because in my opinion Mick's a very good and a very unique and outstandingly singer (although keith's better for the cosy love songs winking smiley ), but hey, everyone has their own opinon and I'm certainly not going to impose mine on them, it's okay. However, I decided to show her a good example of how good Mick actually is and we listened to Let it Loose together.
After the song had finished (I was crying yet another time) she turned to me and said: "That's the first ever I actually heard Mick Jagger sing."

LOVE IT! It's beautiful! And to my knowledge they never played it live, right?
Oh, I'd love them to play it live so much! It's one of the most beautiful song ever made!

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: April 10, 2008 21:04

My favorite version is the 1972 Dallas rehearsal. The sound quality is (naturally) not optimal, but when those horns come in, it's like the sun coming up when you've been up all night.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 10, 2008 21:07

Definitely amongst the best music the Stones have ever recorded. Could a track like this be recorded today with modern technology?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 10, 2008 21:09

Have to be in a sweaty castle cellar first, locked in with
obsessed drug addicts which burns for rock and roll & rootsy funky soul.

Date: April 11, 2008 11:49

Edward Twining
Definitely amongst the best music the Stones have ever recorded. Could a track like this be recorded today with modern technology?

Never! That's not possible. Nowaday's technology and - well, in the case of Let It Loose it's not an improvement *lol*- is much too "perfect" to record something that shall sound like Let It Loose.
I mean, take CDs for example. They have quite a "pure" sound which wasn't available on vinyls. You always had these little "sizzling noises" with vinyls. And even though you get all the music on CDs nowadays and yes, sound quality might be better, Mick's right when he says he'd "love to remix EXILE", because he thinks it has "some of the worst mixes he's ever heard."
As for Let It Loose, it has this special feeling and I think most credit for that's to the technology you had back then. It wasn't possible - as far as I know, at least, but then I'm only 15 and might not know better, so please correct me If I'm wrong - to create a prestine sound on tracks. You'd always have this kind of brackish component to it you could hear when you listen to the songs.
Everyone I know says that in their opinion CDs have got such an awesome sound and all that.
Actually, I'm not sure I can agree to that. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think CDs are a good thing and, okay, the quality of the sound of a CD is better, but the thing with CDs is that sometimes they don't have this flair, espacially when you listen to a record that first was released on vinyl years ago.
One of the best examples for that, I think is EXILE.
You get my drift? There are some albums that NEED this somehow nasty and dirty touch to it that isn't produced today anymore. Can't be produced anymore, because people are used tp the "better" sound of CDs nowadays and wouldn't be satisfied If they would be delivered solely vinyls.
Still, they produce vinyls in addition, make them of records that were first released on CD. I don't care for that. I would like them to make access to all the "old" stuff easier.

I'm very glad, my mother even gave me her gramophone recently.

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: April 11, 2008 14:11

One of their best;full of emotion.
Like the guitarpart too,think its with a flanger or somthing.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 11, 2008 14:12

This is a studio track to be treasured as it is. I can imagine Keith playing the Leslie'd guitar line, but I can't see Chuck replicating Nicky's piano or Blondie and crew coming close to the heavenly back up vocals. Man, what a great track.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: April 11, 2008 14:54

Although I think this song in their all time top 10, I wouldn't want to see them do it live nowadays. Mick would sing it in his horrible, nasally voice missing all the emotion and then let the extended band turn it into a horrible mess. I understand Micks not singing flat out on every song on a huge tour but I honestly think he can no longer sing with passion. Even in the studio he mostly uses that tinny voice.

Date: April 11, 2008 14:55

drbryant
This is a studio track to be treasured as it is. I can imagine Keith playing the Leslie'd guitar line, but I can't see Chuck replicating Nicky's piano or Blondie and crew coming close to the heavenly back up vocals. Man, what a great track.

At first I interpreted that as If you considered Blondie, Lisa, Bernard, Chuck and Keith to be modern technology. *lol* spinning smiley sticking its tongue out grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home