Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Licks Live question
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:14

I just bought it yesterday and I wonder whether the songs are the same as on 4 Flicks DVDs or whether they are taken from different shows (at least some of them). So far I only had time to listen to the first four songs of the second CD and I would say thet Rocks Off sounds different, but I am sure there are people here who will tell me exactly what are the diffrences between the CDs and the DVDs

Re: Licks Live question
Date: March 25, 2008 10:15

Sorry about the title, it is not Licks Live, but Live Licks of course.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:34

Same as on DVD. Rocks Off has been edited.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 25, 2008 12:53

Live Licks is likely the most p-ss-poorly conceived Stones album ever made. A slap-dash affair designed to give Virgin a 4th quarter Stones title because the promised new album (which became ABcool smiley took longer than expected.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 25, 2008 14:13

For Live Licks they replaced Ronnies guitar on the first part of Can't you hear me knocking by KR's riffs (probably taken from other liveversions). Not an improvement really.

Date: March 25, 2008 15:48

Well if I knew it was almost identical with the 4 Flicks, maybe I wouldn't buy it, since I have 4 Flicks of couse. But it was quite cheap and without it my collection wouldn't be complete...

Date: March 25, 2008 15:53

The Live Licks version of CYHMK is from the Wiltern Theatre in California (2002).This particular version did not appear on Four Flicks.As far as I know,KR has always done the beginning and Wood has done the other parts.

All of the other songs are also on Four Flicks but,(a)they are mixed differently and (b)a solid quarter of the tracks are edited poorly > too much - Rocks Off is the prime example. You can also debate some of the track selection.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:48

Theif in the Night
The Live Licks version of CYHMK is from the Wiltern Theatre in California (2002).This particular version did not appear on Four Flicks.As far as I know,KR has always done the beginning and Wood has done the other parts.

Yes, it's from a a different show, but they've also edited Ronnie's rhythm-guitar out of the first part. If you listen with headphones, you'll hear Richards' riffs on the left AND right channel at the same time time. I know he's great and all that, but Keith weaving with Keith? Nah.

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 19:32

rocks off has my favourite stones line of all time and it is missing!!!
"the sunshine bores the daylights out of me"
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 25, 2008 19:49

that sounds like a Keith lyric. (??)

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: March 25, 2008 20:26

yeah this album is shite,Ive played it once and never will again.Im afraid we being short changed with the official live stuff.Stick with the best sounding boots,why could they not have released the Stockholm Kircus 2003 gig in its entirety,even with the crap version of stray cat blues ,it would have knocked the socks off that other rubbish.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 25, 2008 21:46

David700
rocks off has my favourite stones line of all time and it is missing!!!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah, it's not eve a clean edit. It misses the beat.

Somewhere in the archives here (IORR, Tell Me) is a discussion I had with Bob Clearmountain who did the master mix for "Live Licks" but apparently had nothing to do with the edits therein. I searched for it but it didn't turn up.

His best line was, "Anybody who's ever worked with the Stones know that for every five licks those guys play only two of them are any good- but THOSE are brilliant..."

I noticed later Bob Clearmountain did not mix A Bigger Bang. Ooops...cool smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 26, 2008 00:08

RnT
Theif in the Night

Yes, it's from a a different show, but they've also edited Ronnie's rhythm-guitar out of the first part. If you listen with headphones, you'll hear Richards' riffs on the left AND right channel at the same time time. I know he's great and all that, but Keith weaving with Keith? Nah.

Vocally, the CYHMK on the CD is much, much better - and I think it is an honest, live take (not blatantly overdubbed like Street Fighting Man)

I got mine cheap, and I really like disc 2. But yeah, mostly ripped right from the DVD set I believe.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 26, 2008 00:41

Happy24
I just bought it yesterday and I wonder whether the songs are the same as on 4 Flicks DVDs or whether they are taken from different shows (at least some of them). So far I only had time to listen to the first four songs of the second CD and I would say thet Rocks Off sounds different, but I am sure there are people here who will tell me exactly what are the diffrences between the CDs and the DVDs

CD1:

Brown sugar - MSG
SF Man - Twickenham
Paint It Black - Twickenham
YCAGWYW - Twickenham
SMU - MSG
IORR - MSG
Angie - MSG
HTW - MSG
Happy - MSG
G Shelter - MSG
Satisfaction - MSG

CD 2
Neighbours - Olympia
Monkey Man - MSG
Rocks Off - Twickenham
CYHMK - Wiltern
THSMLI - Olympia
Nearness of You - Olympia
Beast of Burden - Wiltern
Whip - MSG
Rock Me baby - Wiltern
YDHTMI - Wiltern
WAY - Olympia
ENSTL - Wiltern

The versions of Start me Up and Gimme Shelter on Live Licks from MSG arent in Four Flicks (the DVD features only the versions from the Olympia and Twickenham respectively)

CYHMK from the Wiltern is also different. In Four Flicks, the version comes from MSG

The version of Everybody Needs Somebody to Love from the Wiltern is included in Four Flicks, but as far as I recall its incomplete on the DVD as its part of a documentary feature. A complete version of the song - from the Olympia - is on the DVD.

Otherwise, its the same basic tracks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-26 00:43 by Gazza.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:19

Don't know why most people speak that bad about Live Licks.

Yeah, the edits are very annoying! (Rocks Off being the worst). But the sound is good and has raw guitars.
I liked to listen to the CD's. Esp. the 2nd.!

Really apart from edits and shortenings (on some songs I even don't mind) the songs flow quite nice and the playin is good.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:35

Well you answered your own question in the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs

The DVD is the best thing the Stones have released in the last 25 years. A brilliantly conceived, packaged and highly professional piece of work.

The CD - which is basically an edited soundtrack of the DVD released a year later as an afterthought - is a hack job thrown together as a contractual obligation and obviously one which neither the Stones or anyone close to them bothered to listen to before sanctioning the release, with songs being chopped up and shortened for no reason - after all, they were good enough to be left as they were on the DVD plus there's ample space on the two discs to have fitted them in unedited (there is some 50 minutes room over the two discs)

The performances are fine (some of them are terrific), but people are easily pleased I think just because theyre getting any music from the Stones at all. Its not much to ask for a band who are known as the greatest rock n roll band in the world and who have been associated with a professional attitude to their work for so many years to release something that isnt cobbled together in such an amateurish, haphazard and pointless manner.

Unfortunately, as the Rarities debacle proved, it wasnt a one-off.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 26, 2008 22:10

[Gazza
The performances are fine (some of them are terrific), but people are easily pleased I think just because theyre getting any music from the Stones at all. Its not much to ask for a band who are known as the greatest rock n roll band in the world and who have been associated with a professional attitude to their work for so many years to release something that isnt cobbled together in such an amateurish, haphazard and pointless manner.

Unfortunately, as the Rarities debacle proved, it wasnt a one-off.[/quote]

Apart from the partly nice music on those discs, - you are absolutely right about all that !!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 26, 2008 23:00

Everyone slags off Live Licks because it is "the same" as Four Flicks.

I guess the same people will be slagging off the SAL soundtrack for offering the same tracks as are on the movie?

In my view, Live Licks has a brilliant sound which is far BETTER than the stereo mix on the Live Licks DVD, which is mixed for TV. Most of the people who slag off the album didn't buy it and so don't even know about this aspect of it.

There are issues with the album, not least the HORRIBLE edit on Rocks Off and it is certainly true that they could have chosen a different track list.

That said, all in all, it is not such a bad album and it captures the live feel and atmosphere of the band live on that tour.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 27, 2008 02:47

I like Live Licks. What gets me is how Mick hyped it so, got it ready and all that, and then it comes out with a goofy edited version of Brown Sugar - which regardless of that fu*cking ROCKS. I like the edit of SFM because they laid it out a bit live. Those vocals don't sound like O/Ds to me. And the hack edit of Rocks Off. You listen to that show on the DVD, it's obvious why it was hacked - but certainly they recorded other shows! That's just LAME.

Start Me Up could have been left off - it's terrible. The Flashpoint version is the ultimate. Paint It Black is, I dunno. Is it any better than the Flashpoint version? That one is pretty good.

I like SFTD but it seems flat. The Love You Live version is excellent, even though 99% of those vocals were O/Ded. Ya-Ya's is still the best.

I think, in retrospect, Live Licks makes Flashpoint seem like a better live album than it actually is. They were just way more tight on that tour.

But disc 2 of Licks is outstanding and worth the price of the entire thing and stands right up there with the beauty of No Security. Although that guitar overdub on Neighbours is a bit annoying.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:01

skipstone
Those vocals don't sound like O/Ds to me. .

They are absolutely overdubbed. I recall Mick (very surprisingly) admitting this at the time claiming that it was the only vocal overdubb on the whole ablum - which I believe. All the others are legit. But hey - He's been doing that since Ya-Yas. Ultimatley I don't mind - it sounds better so... meh. I still like it.

Hell, there's worse CDs to throw on!
Live Licks has gotten quite a few plays out of me (still love the 2nd disc).

[thepowergoats.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home