Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Ya-Ya's Overdubs: It Isn't A Live Album
Posted by: Jos ()
Date: March 24, 2008 14:55

I listened to Liver Than You'll Ever Be as soon as it came out, and then saw them live for the first time in October 1970. GYYO absolutely captures the Stones as they played live in that particular period. At their best in my view. Indeed, the feel of the tour was captured alright, and that's all that matters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 24, 2008 15:27

timbernardis
Didn't Dave Mason release a "Certified Live" album in the mid to late 70s?

Also, I haven't noticed any difference between the original Live at Leeds and the newer, complete show version. Have the dubs and such been documented?

p

Yes. The 2-CD "Deluxe" version of Live At Leeds includes vocal overdubs recorded by Roger Daltrey in 2002, THIRTY-TWO YEARS after the concert took place. I can't begin to tell you how artistically wrong that is. How can you go into the studio at age FIFTY-EIGHT and "correct" vocal "mistakes" you made on a landmark recording when you were TWENTY-FIVE??? You're not even the SAME PERSON you were after that amount of time! Why not just get some guy from a Who cover band to do the overdubs? He would have sounded more like the vocals on the original tape than Roger does!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-24 15:29 by tatters.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 24, 2008 15:34

The point that I was making was the original 6-track Live at Leeds from 1970 had no overdubs, merely a couple of edits (Spoonful was edited out of Shakin All over, and a minute or two was edited out of Magic Bus and My Generation). This is why it was able to be recorded in February, and released in May: one show, no overdubs, and a couple of minor edits.
I agree that the reissue with vocal overdubs was wrong, which is why I recommend everyone to get the Live at Leeds Complete Bootleg: it is the unedited concert, and is still awesome!

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: March 24, 2008 15:37

Mathijs
And just to note: all overdubs are only on the vocals -half of Jagger's lead vocals are redone, and about all of Keith's backing vocals. There are NO instrumental overdubs what so ever.

Compare the audience tape of the 11/27 gig with Ya-Ya's: I think they did a great job in capturing that marvelous performance.

Mathijs

I'm sorry to bring this up again but I think I've heard that some fills and licks in Carol were re-recorded in the studio!?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 24, 2008 16:31

Here you go...breakdown of ALL overdubs...

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

It doesnt get any better than this...thanks, ChrisM.

JR

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 24, 2008 17:45

stone-relics
Here you go...breakdown of ALL overdubs...

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

It doesnt get any better than this...thanks, ChrisM.

JR
Not to be confused with me. I'm too lazy of a bastard to have put this great site together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-24 17:46 by ChrisM.

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: March 24, 2008 17:54

Regading live shows without overdubs, you can download all Pearl Jam shows from their website - no overdubs guaranteed because it is impossible to do it :-))). BTW, some shows are excellent...

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: March 24, 2008 18:11

Most "official" live albums have overdubbing, doctoring. I suppose many jazz artists though stick true to their guns, but most rock acts want maximum sales and thus, make "slick" sounding live albums.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 24, 2008 18:20

With exception to The Cult's Live At The Marquee and their Instant Live albums and the two Jazz Fest albums I have, not ONE 'live' album I have is completely live. Everybody doctors their live albums up.

And so, if there is a band making a studio album and the drummer records in the stairwell, is it still, technically, a studio album? Ha ha.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 24, 2008 21:07

Nanker Phlegm
Too Late Too Stop Now - Van Morrison has no doctoring or overdubs, In fact Vam refused to have one track corrected where there was a minor technical problem and had it dropped instead.

I'm sure that there are quite a few undoctered live albums around, TOO LATE TOO STOP NOW is one if the finest Live albums doctered or not. who really cares anyway, you like what you hear or you dont.

Does mixing count as doctoring, or do we have to rely on the live mix, not just the vcls/instrmts but audience noize.

Youre correct about Van's album and his refusal to change anything.

Mixing isnt doctoring. Totally essential part of any recording process.

As for other totally live albums - according to the sleevenotes, David Live (apart from some small parts edited in due to loss of microphone contact) and Stage by Bowie.

I'm unaware of any overdubbing on any of Dylan's live albums. I'm sure there are several others.

What about "Stripped" ?

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 24, 2008 23:22

They've done a good job on the vocal dubs technically. I suppose the drummikes must have picked up some of the original lead vocals, don't you think?. But still I've not noticed parts of the original leadvocals (except HTW probably).

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 25, 2008 00:14

A band I was in back in the mid-90's recorded a live album in Madrid and the kick drum mic got knocked out of place for about four bars of a song ( 'til the roadie rushed out and replaced it). Our drummer made a big fuss about having to overdub that one kick drum part for those four bars in the studio when we were mixing, like it was cheating or something. Instead of the "No overdubs" you occasionally see in the liner notes of live albums, I wanted to declare "One overdub" and have people try to figure out what that one overdub was...but I digress.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2008 04:42

Well then Aerosmith got it right when they flew in different nights recordings for one song or whatever - a guitar solo from a Saturday night in Buffalo for the overall song from Tuesday night's performance in Cleveland but that solo sucked so they flew the Buffalo solo in etc....

Not being specific, just using those as examples. They DID do that kind of thing so 'technically' it's still 'live' but EVERYONE knows they use backing tapes for harmonies....so even their live shows are, heh heh, overdubbed.

Remember the BS about the Stones using backing tapes for Rock And A Hard Place on the Urban Jungle tour? Was it that one? That or Steel Wheels. Whatever. What a joke!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 11:13

mitch mitchell redid some of his drums in the studio from the rainbow bridge concerts in hawaii

terraplane
I don't think there were any overdubs on any of the Jimi Hendrix live albums- Monterey, Woodstock, Fillmore East

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home