Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Springsteen Have Opening Act on Current States Tour & When Does Bruce Come On?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:12

All I see on Ticketmasturbator is Bruce and a 7:30 time for Sacramento.

Does he have an opening act and about what actual time does Bruce and the Band hit the stage?

p

Re: OT: Springsteen Have Opening Act on Current States Tour & When Does Bruce Come On?
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:20

No no opener. He usually comes on anywhere between 8:15 to 8:45

Re: OT: Springsteen Have Opening Act on Current States Tour & When Does Bruce Come On?
Date: March 20, 2008 05:31

how long does he play?

p

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:33

ABout 2 1/2 Hrs

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 20, 2008 07:14

For a 7:30 Bruce show it's a safe bet that you can get to the show by 8:15 and it will not have started.

Always found it very disrespectful of Bruce to do that to his audience.

Never an opening act.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: March 20, 2008 10:02

thats nonsense.my last three shows;

1999 manchester and birminghaam
8:00 to 11:00 without a break

2003 manchester
7:30 to 10:30 without a break.

bruce disresepctful to an audience? Thats so wide of the mark it isnt even funny. I anticipate Gazza's post with relish......

juiced up and sloppy

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 20, 2008 14:49

I can think of few performers who exude more respect for their audience than Bruce Springsteen. The man gives his all from start to finish every night and pretty much never has an off night. He starts late to make sure everyone's in the house, in case someone didn't get them memo that there's no warmup act.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2008 14:49

No need. Hoodoo and baxlap nailed it. Its consistently still the best value show of any artist around.

Far rather have someone play half an hour late than an half an hour to an hour less.

If you know he's going to come on at 8.15, then pointless getting worked up about it.

Unfortunately, the fans of any act who charge their fans $100 for non-existent DVDs or pre-sales that dont even offer the best tickets and then charge up to a week's salary for the pleasure of watching a show they can only see on a video screen arent really in a position to talk about any performer 'disrespecting' their audience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-20 15:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 20, 2008 16:51

its a rock and roll gig, not a broadway show for feck sake.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 20, 2008 17:10

Thr Rolling Stones are the most famous band for making fans wait (ever hear of Altamont?).

Maybe Guns'N'Roses took that dubious title, but I wouldn't be throwing off on Bruce too much about that.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 20, 2008 17:31

Bruce was just here 3/17....wasn't able to go but i heard some squawks
that he went on 75 minutes after scheduled showtime.

how long are his shows these days? 3 hrs?

he'll be back here (milwaukee) this summer to play at the
Harley Davidson Motorcycle Anniversary events. Gazza...ever been
to Brew Town? (Milwaukee is known for Beer, Harley Davidson & Jeff Dahmer..
...among other things).

IORR............but I like it!

Date: March 20, 2008 17:35

Ya might wanna add Hank Aaron and drop Dahmer, neo! smileys with beer <for Milwaukee

Also, a great song .... What Made Milwaukee Famous ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-20 17:36 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: March 20, 2008 17:42

yep...could mention lotsa sports figures but....i thought
the Dahmer mention would get more reaction.

stayed away from "Laverne & Shirley/Fonzie" stuff...

home of the Violent Femmes & BoDeans.

Anyway...back to Bruce. I'm sure Bruce Fans are aware
of the infamous "Bomb-Scare" show from the '70s....that was in Milwaukee.
I think there are bootlegs of that show.

If I remember correcty (Gazza, feel free to fill in the detail) the
show was underway...the theater received a bomb-scare.....they emptied the
theater to search.....hours later everybody went back in and finished
the show.

I just found another fan's account of the "bomb-scare" show...here it is:

(he's writing this to a Milwaukee DJ that introduced Bruce and announced the b-scare)

"I was at the bomb scare show at the Uptown and still have vivid memories. My best friend at the time was Marcus, who turned me on to Springsteen in the first place. We camped out (the show was general admission) and got seats in the 3rd row in the middle. The first part of the show was intense and slowly building – the first song was "Meeting Across the River" (Bittan on trumpet?), he crawled down the aisle on "Spirits in the Night", etc. Just before you made your announcement, someone came out and talked to Bruce, the band left the stage, they checked in and around the outside of the piano for bombs and then he sat down and nervously sang a solo "Thunder Road".

Then you came out and told us all to leave and come back at midnight, offering refunds to anyone who didn’t want to come back (almost more interesting than who was there is who didn’t come back and regretted it later). Marcus and I hit the bars in the area of 49th and North, which, at that time, seldom saw any young or black kids in looking for beer. We went back at 11 p.m. and lined up again – someone had Born to Run blasting out of their car in front of the theater. When we got back in, we were in the front row this time, to the far right of the stage. And, yes. We were LOOSE!

The rest is pretty well documented on the CD of the post-scare show (which I always thought was a boot – if the Iceland version has the first part of the show on it, Bob, we need to talk). I got my version off the internet about five years ago, and, man did it take me home. Legend has it the band went back to the Pfister (or, as Bruce says, the Pfffffffisssster) and got bombed, appearing drunk on stage for the first and only time in their careers. This was the first time I had heard many of these songs – I had only heard Born to Run before, and that only came out the week before. Someone I knew from out East was there and I remember him going absolutely insane that he was playing one particular song – now that I think about it, that must have been "Kitty’s Back".

At the end of the show, he did a soulful version of "Sandy" and then announced he would play one more song by Gary U.S. Bonds. "Quarter to Three!" yelled Marcus, right next to me. Springsteen came right up to the lip of the stage right in front of us. "What?!" he shouted. "Quarter to Three!", yells Marcus again, as I stood there with my mouth hanging open. After a few more back-and-forths, Bruce yells "Well Alright!" and that was that. You can hear this exchange at the end of the "Sandy" track on my version."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-20 17:58 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 20, 2008 18:02

Do people really expect the start time on the ticket to mean the show starts at that time.

I'm going to See the Eagles tonight and by all accounts they are on sharpish 3 hr set with 15min interval. the need the extar time to fit in the inferior later stuff and the crap solo stuff. At lest stones stop short of the solo stuff.

Date: March 20, 2008 18:17

re: time on the ticket

saw billy joel 3/2....ticket said 8pm....he came out at 8:15pm and
actually apologized for being late. ?????? we weren't sure if
he was being serious....no one ever starts on time. he said he waited
because the streets around the venue were congested...2 other "major" events
going on nearby...in case people were late coming in. (no opening act)

Date: March 20, 2008 18:18

here's another springsteen bomb-scare link (if interested):

[www.onmilwaukee.com]

Date: March 20, 2008 18:33

neo, I dig the BoDeans too.

Back in the 80's, I went to see Jackson Browne - the ticket said 8 o'clock sharp! It was around 8:40 when he came on, so this is nothing new. I've never seen an act appear at the appointed time.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 20, 2008 18:39

Nanker Phlegm
Do people really expect the start time on the ticket to mean the show starts at that time.

I'm going to See the Eagles tonight and by all accounts they are on sharpish 3 hr set with 15min interval. the need the extar time to fit in the inferior later stuff and the crap solo stuff. At lest stones stop short of the solo stuff.

No. I've experienced very few acts who hold to that. Especially when there's no opening act.

Neil Young's show last week was advertised for 7.30. His wife was the opening act, and she was on at 7.30 sharp. Very unusual.

To balance the 'Bruce late show' thing, when he played Dublin in 2003, I think it said 6.30 pm as the start time and he walked onstage 15 minutes early!

Date: March 20, 2008 18:43

sweet neo con
Bruce was just here 3/17....wasn't able to go but i heard some squawks
that he went on 75 minutes after scheduled showtime.

how long are his shows these days? 3 hrs?

he'll be back here (milwaukee) this summer to play at the
Harley Davidson Motorcycle Anniversary events. Gazza...ever been
to Brew Town? (Milwaukee is known for Beer, Harley Davidson & Jeff Dahmer..
...among other things).

LOL

there seems to be setlist updates from 8.30 pm that night, so I dont think he was as late as claimed.

The Milwaukee '75 bomb-scare show is pretty infamous. Seemingly, he was referring to it the other night at the show there with a few 'are you LOOSE?' comments.

never been there, mate. I've been to the US 5 times - New York in '93 for a holiday, '99 for the Stones Hartford shows (stayed in Albany & Hartford), two trips in 2002 for the Stones shows in New York and LA , and then back to New York again in Jan '06 for the MSG gigs.

Always wanted to see a lot more of your country, but its going to take a lot of time and financial independence, I;m afraid!

Date: March 20, 2008 18:47

Gazza, we'd love to have an Irishman visit south Georgia (USA). Lots of Scotch-Irish in our mountains. Our bluegrass and country music is straight from Celt land.

Bring yo' own alcohol!

Date: March 20, 2008 20:17

I was going to say -- for YEARS the Stones came on late. It was planned that way in part to get the audience worked up for the band.

So Bruce may be late, but with Gazza's 15 minutes early story, that scares me, think I'll stick with sweet's suggestion of 8:15 to be sure.

And this will be after we've just watched the first SAL showing at 4 pm on April 4 at the Esquire IMAX Theater in Sacramento.

Plexi

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: March 20, 2008 22:41

I was at the '75 show and it was something. Arrived late and made it just inside the doors in the balcony. Second song we here was a solo Thunder Road that ended with Bruce telling us to leave and come back at midnight. We went out (Jimmy, Rat and myself in a green Lincoln - definitely the seventies) drink some beer and shot pool before returning and ending up in the sixth row on the floor. Evidently the band enjoyed some of the same. Great show. On the subject of punctuality, Springsteen's shows used to start withing five minutes of the ticket listed time. Finally, we'll be in Dublin for Lenny, Iggy and Neil this June, Gazza. Any chance of you taking in these shows?

Date: March 20, 2008 22:46

roryg...are from the milwaukee area?

Date: March 20, 2008 22:48

Sheboygan and now Madison

Date: March 20, 2008 22:58

roryg
I was at the '75 show and it was something. Arrived late and made it just inside the doors in the balcony. Second song we here was a solo Thunder Road that ended with Bruce telling us to leave and come back at midnight. We went out (Jimmy, Rat and myself in a green Lincoln - definitely the seventies) drink some beer and shot pool before returning and ending up in the sixth row on the floor. Evidently the band enjoyed some of the same. Great show. On the subject of punctuality, Springsteen's shows used to start withing five minutes of the ticket listed time. Finally, we'll be in Dublin for Lenny, Iggy and Neil this June, Gazza. Any chance of you taking in these shows?

Yep...the band were somewhat rat-arsed after enjoying the hospitality of a local watering-hole...

I'm just on the way back from Bruce in Paris on the day Neil Young plays Malahide, so I think I'm at a risk of castration from the missus if I troop off to that one. I'm missing Lou Reed performing 'Berlin' in Belfast (one of my fave albums ever) as I'll be off to Italy for Bruce that same day.

I'll be at the 2nd Cohen Dublin show on June 15th if youre at that one (tickets went on sale before I could get any for the 1st night)

What date is Iggy playing ?

Date: March 20, 2008 22:59

Elmo Lewis
Gazza, we'd love to have an Irishman visit south Georgia (USA). Lots of Scotch-Irish in our mountains. Our bluegrass and country music is straight from Celt land.

Bring yo' own alcohol!

Scotch-Irish = Ulster=Scots. Thats me OK.

That last remark certainly suggests some Scottish ancestry, Elmo

(ducks for cover awaiting abuse from indignant Scotsmen..)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-20 23:00 by Gazza.

Date: March 20, 2008 23:13

We'll be at the Sun. Cohen show as well. The Stooges play the Monday after Lenny at the same venue(!)

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 20, 2008 23:22

I cant even comment on this...dont slag the Scots, Cat....cause I will come down on Bwoose like Cthulu on Dexter Ward....

JR

Posted by: Des ()
Date: March 20, 2008 23:40

Regarding the start times. I have to side with those who think starting late is normal. It is unfortunatley normal but not acceptable. I think the whole rock sceene misses the boat on the profesionalisim of putting on a show. It's like as long as they can get some sound working before the croud goes mad it's a good effort.

Van Morrison, ticket said 7:30 and it started then. Best show was Loggins and Messina, for an hour before the show the guitars are in place, mikes ready, no sign of a roadie, at 8:00 sharp Bob Sagget walks out and gets the place howling then introduces Kenny, very profetional and smooth to the last note and blackout.

Rock crouds are lazy asses that show up late, stumble around looking for beer, etc. To think a band has to wait just because he will look foolish starting to rude folks still trying to show up or drink, I have no love for it. My brother writes and directs plays, you miss the door, even when in the building they give you your money back and ask you come another night.

And my biggest complaint is with smoking becoming such an issue, I must plan my toke breaks for outside. If the band starts late I'm waisting what I planned to carry me through the show. 3 hours, again very inconsiderate without refresher a toke break.

Date: March 21, 2008 00:06

roryg
We'll be at the Sun. Cohen show as well. The Stooges play the Monday after Lenny at the same venue(!)

yer kidding. Thanks for the tip. Didnt realise it was a Stooges show.

Iggy playing in the grounds of a hospital. The irony.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-21 00:09 by Gazza.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home