Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Blackpool wants the Stones to return!
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 26, 2008 14:18

After 40-odd years, the Blackpool ban has been lifted!
I suppose time really does heal all wounds.

[www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk]

Re: Blackpool wants the Stones to return!
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 26, 2008 14:21

They'd be banned again for smoking onstage, if they returned

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 26, 2008 16:51

It takes 'em 40 odd years to lift a ban?

man, some thugs convicted for capital crime get away with less.

tongue sticking out smileyRe: Blackpool wants the Stones to return!
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 26, 2008 17:00

Forget 'Shine A Light'. I feel 'Live At The Tower Ballroom' coming on!

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 26, 2008 17:16

Wow. What satisfaction everyone must feel! I'll be a under assistant west coast promotion man! I bet Mick and Keith are doing jumpin' jack flashes going Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo! We get to go back! The heartbreaker is finally over! Hey, let's everybody spend the night together, dance with Mr. D and we'll go out to eat at Ruby Tuesdays, get so drunk that night we have a midnight ramble and the next morning pay sympathy for the devil with our between the buttons hangovers.

What a terrible article.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: March 26, 2008 17:38

Erik_Snow
They'd be banned again for smoking onstage, if they returned

LOLsmoking smiley

Is that Ian Stewart in the photo beside the article?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 26, 2008 20:13

Stargroves
Is that Ian Stewart in the photo beside the article?

Yes it's Stew coming to check if there's any equipment still OK - but I think he left disappointed.

Date: March 27, 2008 14:47

From today's METRO....

Rolling Stones' 44-year ban lifted
Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Let’s spend the fight together: Mick and co just before the riot started.
They've performed at the world's biggest venues and been allowed to play in China, but since 1964 the Rolling Stones have been outlawed… from a British seaside resort.

Now, though, the ban from Blackpool has been lifted.
The rockers were banished from the town 44 years ago after a concert at its Empress Ballroom ended in a riot.

Fans smashed crystal chandeliers, tore seats and smashed a Steinway grand piano. Bottles and stones were hurled, and 50 of the audience had to be treated in hospital.

However, Blackpool council leader Peter Callow has said nothing would give him more satisfaction than seeing the veteran rockers perform in the town again.
'We are writing to the group to say the ban has been lifted and they are welcome to play here again,' he said.

According to witnesses, the Stones were playing to a capacity audience of about 7,000 at the gig on July 24, 1964, when some of the crowd started spitting at them. One man was seen by Keith Richards with his hands on the stage and telling others to aim their phlegm at fellow guitarist Brian Jones.
Richards warned the man but the spitting began – and he is then said to have stood on the man's hands and kicked his nose. The place erupted and the band ran off the stage.

A Stones spokeswoman said she could not comment on the lifting of the ban but added that the band had no plans for another tour - depsite Blackpool's newly opened arms.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home