Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The whole Zeppelin Thing
Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:22

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of both great bands, but seeing Zeppelin continually denying the likelihood of a tour(especially by Plant) just makes me further impressed by the resilience and strength that the Stones truly have. The desire to continue touring and producing music probably until the end deserves huge credit to the Stones as artists. It really doesn't bother me to hear Keith lay into Plant a bit about their jaunt at the 02, because after all Keith is the rocker who has truly never stopped and has a right to comment on the whole Zeppelin thing if anyone in the world has that right. Just wanted to throw in my two cents with this, I think the recent Zeppelin news only proves how strong the Stones have been in the past 40 years of industry dominance.

Re: The whole Zeppelin Thing
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:28

Good post, clarke, and welcome.
But wouldn't you like to see Zep tour at least once more?
I know I would. I had tickets in hand, only for the show to be cancelled due to the death of Plant's son.
I never had the chance to see them again.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:30

Well, you have to give kudos to Robert and Jimmy for also not ripping into The Who or The Stones. It seems like everyone likes to take a jab at Zeppelin, but I don't recall Zeppelin ever taking a jab at them?

I could be wrong, but I just don't remember Plant or Page slinging mud at those bands.

Lets face, Jimmy could say a thing or two or three about Keith.

The Stones, IMO have been nowhere near a "dominance"...were they from 64-76...No doubt about it. Did they release a good record or two or three after that? Yes.

Are they exciting live...that's debatable...depending on the years you want to talk about.

Are The Stones one of the best STUDIO bands ever? No doubt about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-10 02:32 by Bingo.

Date: March 10, 2008 02:45

Well,they more than dominate now where it counts > $$.They've released more than three "good" records since '76.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:50

Bingo
Well, you have to give kudos to Robert and Jimmy for also not ripping into The Who or The Stones. It seems like everyone likes to take a jab at Zeppelin, but I don't recall Zeppelin ever taking a jab at them?

I could be wrong, but I just don't remember Plant or Page slinging mud at those bands.

Robert Plant slagged The Rolling Stones when they were called the biggest band on tour....in the summer of 1972.

And Page made a remark about a band playing the L.A. Forum.."bore 'em at the Forum"

They have slagged others on more than a few occasions but these two instances are what sprung to my mind.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: March 10, 2008 02:50

I definantly agree with you guys... and i'd like to see a Zeppelin tour probably more than anything that could happen in music. Their show at the 02 was also the greatest recent event in rock music, probably at least the greatest of the decade. That said, not seeing them(maybe it's just Robert) go out on tour dissapoint's me as a fan. I do respect their desire to not disturb the past, but I don't think that the Stones continuation of playing music disturb's their great history either. Let's face it, Zeppelin still kicks, and the 02 proved that. The pieces are very much there for a successful tour and even an album, and from a fan's perspective I really want them to just go out and do it, it would only make their history richer. The whole Plant/Krauss thing is great, but I have a hard time believing that it's as great as a Zeppelin tour would be. It makes me really happy to see bands like The Who, The Police, The Stones, Van Halen.. and others continuing their legacies, and I don't think any of them tarnish their history, instead they further enlighten new generations of music fans. Reunions are good for music... I know you can call them bottomless money pits for the bands themselves, and it's hard say that the bands dont earn a profit, but artists willing to go out and rock deserve credit for that, and I hate seeing anyone bash Keith and the Stones for continuing their legacy.

Date: March 10, 2008 03:05

rattler2004
Bingo

Robert Plant slagged The Rolling Stones when they were called the biggest band on tour....in the summer of 1972.

And Page made a remark about a band playing the L.A. Forum.."bore 'em at the Forum"

They have slagged others on more than a few occasions but these two instances are what sprung to my mind.

Ok..thanks, fair is fair...but that's back in the 70's. Keith is still slagging them. LOL

The Forum comment...was that the tour when Mick use to sing" Jimmy Page is all the rage, I don't see the reason why" during @#$%&?

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 10, 2008 07:01

My recollection is that "bore 'em at the Forum" was a remark that John Bonham made about Jethro Tull.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: March 10, 2008 08:30

in case you missed it, Robert Plant has been touring and recording pretty much non-stop since the demise of LZ. Some of those albums are great, and he's not threading water, either.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 10, 2008 15:40

Both bands can be commended for their recent efforts, and both could be criticized.

On one hand, yes, the Stones continue to tour, raking in zillions of $$, while LZ (Plant) refuses... but while we love their shows (Stones), the stage set gets bigger and bigger and Keith plays fewer and fewer notes... Mick's voice is strong, but he's in his 60's and relies on the backing vocals more than ever... yet the ticket price goes up and up and up, and many of us cannot afford to see them anymore (but still go anyway, as in my own case). Like Child O.C. says, Plant has been very musically creative ever sing LZ broke up. So has John Paul Jones, in his own way. Page has done his share of collaborating and performing.

The fact of the matter is, Led Zeppelin's legendary drummer is dead and no one, not even his son, can justifiably replace him. I've seen and heard boots of the O2 show, and while it is nostalgic and fun to watch, and 'No Quarter' sounds really fantastic, Jason B. literally cannot play what his father played. The only drummers that could do that would be some of the great modern jazz drummers, who I suppose would not be interested. They sounded good, but a big, massive crowd-pleasing, high priced nostalgic tour event is simply unnecessary. Release the O2 DVD and some more live material from the 70's instead!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2008 16:31

you know what i highly dought that led zep 02 concert will be released on dvd or cd.the reason why i dought it is that led zep just released a remastered (what a f#$%^&*@ joke)song remains the same dvd and cd .so i highly dought that they would compete with there own product which they just put out .doesnt make sense.

Date: March 10, 2008 16:43

Good point, Greek... I could still see maybe a BBC/ PBS special, eventually released as a DVD, aired at the end of the year maybe. On the boot vid I saw, there were stage cameras everywhere. It was definitely filmed.

It is possible Plant (and LZ) might not be happy enough w/ the performance to release it all cleaned up and mastered, as there were a few noticeable blunders on there, and any age-related shortcomings will be very evident. But this is only speculation.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 10, 2008 19:00

The following is from a classic rock website feed...

December 12, 2007 - 8:43 am

The Led Zeppelin concert in London was on Monday, but already rumours continue unabated about a possible followup tour. London's Daily mirror newspaper quotes a ticket agency source as saying "There is definitely a full tour coming. We've all been told to get ready for the dates to be confirmed. An announcement is expected to be within days to capitalize on the excitement of the reunion. Promoters have been falling over themselves to get the band to agree." Zeppelin's office was unavailable for comment. Meanwhile, word is that the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute concert will be released as a DVD sometime in 2008. No word however on when it will hit the shelves.

Rumours is all we have about the DVD set. It would be MUCH bigger than the re-release of TSRTS, I would gather, if it gets released.

I wish Plant would change his mind, but I respect his choice anyways. I dig Plant - he's the Sean Connery of Rock!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: March 10, 2008 19:13

baxlap
My recollection is that "bore 'em at the Forum" was a remark that John Bonham made about Jethro Tull.

confused smiley But...BUT.....BuT: Jethro Tull is f%§$&)*(/ awesome!!

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: March 10, 2008 19:21

the stones have been around and working as a band for the best part of 46 years.

not sure how long zeppelin lasted for, i heard they hadnt made a record for 25 years and hadnt done a gig for as long so they havent got the right to slag the stones.

and im sure zeppelin themeselves wont boast of being around as a band for over 30 years knowing that they did almost nothing for 25 of these.

maybe part of the mystery of zeppelin is that people wonder what they would have been like if they had continued like the stones did for the past couple of decades.

dont know what zeppelins average age is but it would be interesting to find out if they would have the energy and enthusiasm to go on a two year tour well into thier 60,s playing a host of different songs over a period of 46 years.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 11, 2008 00:49

Bingo

Lets face, Jimmy could say a thing or two or three about Keith.

Proper rock and roll etiquette dictates that jabs can only be taken at the bands that came along after yours, not before. The Stones and the Who can take jabs at Zep, but Zep can't take jabs at them. Zep can only take jabs at bands that came after 1968, like Aerosmith.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: March 11, 2008 15:09

If Plant wants to pass up on making big money thats fine but honestly if it was me I could not pass it up. However I think its sad and selfisish in a way that he does not want to tour, because all the other band members want to plus people would love to see them especially some new fans that never got the chance to. I mean people are saying Plant does not look back at history. Well looking back is not a bad thing when that many people want you to. So maby Plant will change his mind I mean after all he kind of owes it to the other band members and all the fans that have supported him.

Date: March 11, 2008 15:15

I wonder if he thinks/knows his voice won't hold up on a tour?

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: March 11, 2008 15:32

Oviously he thinks it will hold up to tour with Allison.

Date: March 11, 2008 15:36

Bingo, Bingo. You hit the nail on the head. Plant isn't psyched about touring w/ LZ, because, for starters, his voice is not really suited for it anymore. He did well at the O2, but could he do that night after night on tour? I doubt it, not without monumental effort, anyway.

And I don't see it as selfish at all that he doesn't want to tour as LZ. Think of how often he's had to listen to fans beg for 30 yr-old LZ tunes over the years when he's trying to promote new, creative efforts. LZ was on fire for 12 years, then his dear friend and drummer since pre-Zep days dies, and LZ is no longer the same for him. So he moves on musically and spiritually. We should respect that as fans. When I wanna hear LZ, I go put on a LZ cd. But face it, folks, Plant just ain't LZ anymore. He's Robert Plant. Singer/Songwriter, musician, musicologist even. He's a living legend-- be thankful that he's still performing at all!!

Date: March 11, 2008 15:41

Rickster
Oviously he thinks it will hold up to tour with Allison.

I would think...THAT type of singing is less stressful then singing Zeppelin tunes?

Yes? No?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 11, 2008 15:46

Rickster
If Plant wants to pass up on making big money thats fine but honestly if it was me I could not pass it up. However I think its sad and selfisish in a way that he does not want to tour, because all the other band members want to plus people would love to see them especially some new fans that never got the chance to. I mean people are saying Plant does not look back at history. Well looking back is not a bad thing when that many people want you to. So maby Plant will change his mind I mean after all he kind of owes it to the other band members and all the fans that have supported him.

The thing is, he DOES look back at his past, and he makes sure that YOU keep looking back at it, too. He does it all the time, with all that sampling of Zep tracks in his solo work. I think he does it just to string people along, to get them to keep supporting his solo projects by hinting that the big Zep reunion is just down the road. He's just a big tease, really.

Posted by: Matti ()
Date: March 11, 2008 15:59

Rickster
I mean people are saying Plant does not look back at history. Well looking back is not a bad thing when that many people want you to. So maby Plant will change his mind I mean after all he kind of owes it to the other band members and all the fans that have supported him.

Plant owes nothing to the fans or the other band members. If he does´t want to do it he doesn´t have to do it. Someone said it would be "immoral" not to tour. I think it would be immoral to take all that cash.

Date: March 11, 2008 16:17

tatters, Plant was sampling LZ tunes in his solo work in 1988, the height of the hair metal era, to sell singles. I suspect it was not a hint at anything but cd sales. He does not DENY his past, I mean he admits to having a part of him that still "thinks he's 25 and wants to show off his bare chest..." but I think the artist in him has matured beyond an LZ retro-tour.

-T

Date: March 11, 2008 21:52

In December LZ cnahnged the key for many of the songs so RObert COULD do them much more easily. Bowie, Young, Bono etc. also do the same thing quite often.

Amazingliny, McCartney and Sting don't seem to need to.
The Stones still play many songs in the right key, Jagger just takes short-cuts. The only dramatic key Cchange I'd noticed was tehe 2003 version of Neighbours.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 12, 2008 03:54

I am curious, exactly what songs were played in different keys. Ok, Good Times Bad Times, and possibly Ramble on, but the rest sounded like that same key as the studio versions. Especially In My Time of Dying, which was stunning!

Date: March 13, 2008 08:32

I agree that you guys all respect Plant saying he doesn't owe us anything... but as Jimmy said... it really seems like they did a lot of work rehashing material for the 02 show for it to be a one off.. thoughts?

Posted by: Matti ()
Date: March 13, 2008 16:13

clarkemf
I agree that you guys all respect Plant saying he doesn't owe us anything... but as Jimmy said... it really seems like they did a lot of work rehashing material for the 02 show for it to be a one off.. thoughts?

Yes they rehearsed a lot becouse they wanted to play a good show. Plant said "we need to do one last great show". After the gig they considered doing a full tour but now it seems Plant still doesn´t want to do it.

Date: March 13, 2008 19:08

whitem8
I am curious, exactly what songs were played in different keys. Ok, Good Times Bad Times, and possibly Ramble on, but the rest sounded like that same key as the studio versions. Especially In My Time of Dying, which was stunning!

Good Times Bad Times
Ramble On
Black Dog
Nobody's Fault
Dazed And Confused
Stairway To Heaven
Misty Mountain Hop
Whole Lotta Love
Rock N Roll

...I believe were all played in lower keys from the original recordings.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 13, 2008 19:47

The Stones changed the key of Neighbours? Huh. Didn't even notice. I only know of IORNR as well as, uh, what. Paint It Black.

Keith changed Happy to A for the first Winos tour. Which sounds much better I think.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home