Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A Bigger Bang
Posted by: flowerchild ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:01

Does anybody still listen to ABB? I haven't put it on in at least six months. It sort of just faded into obscurity for me. However, on a non-related note, I am listening to Dead Flowers right now and its FANTASTIC.

Re: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:31

Of'course I'm still listning to ABB, and my favoritt track is "Biggest Mistake", if it was up to me, they could filled an album with tracks like that!
They should have included "Biggest Mistake" in the set list, it would have been a big hit.
And my favoritt Stones album ? "Aftermath"

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 14, 2008 11:06

just listened to it the other day. my favourites: back of my hand, it wont take long, laugh i nearly, rough justice.
but there are just too many fillers (driving too fast, dangerous beauty) and sweet neocon and streets of love are just horrible.
should have cut it down to 10-12 songs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2008 11:55

Of course.....Love it when alone FULL volume...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 14, 2008 12:14

If you play it at full volume Rockman you always be alone winking smiley

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 14, 2008 13:00

Ruby Friday
Of'course I'm still listning to ABB, and my favoritt track is "Biggest Mistake", if it was up to me, they could filled an album with tracks like that!
They should have included "Biggest Mistake" in the set list, it would have been a big hit.
And my favoritt Stones album ? "Aftermath"

Have to agree! Bigger Mistake is a superb track and should have been given more exposure.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 14, 2008 13:14

Still listen to it and of course like it a lot...man, that "It Won't Take Long" just SMOKES!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2008 13:16

Rockman you always be alone....

Well when ya a leper in a lighthouse ya ain't got much choice.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 14, 2008 13:17

Its a top album with some great tracks. My only complaint is the loud production. But a few tracks really are excellent "Laugh", "Rough Justice" "Cat dragged" "biggest Mistake" etc. etc.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 14, 2008 14:13

ABB still stands up methinks, absolutely cannot believe it's 2 1/2 years since it came out, how time flies..

I agree it's a wee bit overlong, a few filler tunes, and for the life of me, I could never understand just what the hell peopl see in "It Won't Take Long" - stones-by-numbers blandness...

But, the album has some genuinely kicking tunes, some wonderful stuff indeed. The likes of "Back of My Hand" / "Rain Fall Down" / "This Place Is Empty" / "Laugh I nearly Died" / "Cat Dragged In" / "Rough Justice" / "ONNYA" & "Biggest Mistake" are all first rate tracks. And that's half the album, those 8 simply cook!

"Let me Down Real Slow" & "Dangerous Beauty" are mighty fine slices of modern day stones aswell, the only stinkers really are the awful "Sweet NeoCon" & the tuneless "Infamy".

Like a lot here, an 11 or 12 track album is what we all edit ourselves, "A Better Bang" as someone memorably put it.

Not a classic stones album, but, a damn fine one, a worthy addition to the back catalogue.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 14, 2008 14:19

I put it on more often these days than, say VL, which feels like out of a different time period - kind of like not so relevant anymore, though it still is a good record, but maybe I've just overplayed VL.
When I put on ABB, I find myself not playing it in its entirety, but only the same tracks from it instead. These are Rough Justice (hello Meat Loaf ;-), Let Me Down Slow (I just love the guitars on that one. More of that please! Thanks.), She Saw Me Coming (the should-have-been hit single, were it not for the utter blandness on today's overformatted radio airwaves), Driving Too Fast (which imho would be even better had it gotten a 3rd verse ... with the rainy weather driving in the 1st verse, the 2nd continues the scene in classic Stones fashion: "you can see the freeway dividing / it's a pity you can't take a boat / one leads to the valley or down some blind alley / the other runs down to the coast // too many roads lead to nowhere / and how they twist and they turn / a dead end at a dusty old strip mall / where your tires are shredded and burnt"), Infamy (for the Keith & Jagger's harmonica combination).
I would add the two outtakes to this list. We Don't Wanna Go Home would be a perfect concert closer before the encore and should have been on the album, in place of some of the pseudo-funk tracks.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 14, 2008 14:45

Ruby Friday

A big hit?
They released the song in the middle of the European tour, it got heavy airplay on UK's Radio 2 but the single barely went to #51.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2008 14:55

georgelicks
Ruby Friday

A big hit?
They released the song in the middle of the European tour, it got heavy airplay on UK's Radio 2 but the single barely went to #51.

They played 5 shows in the UK just after the song's release in front of over 200,000 people, and although the song was all over the radio, they still couldnt be arsed performing it.

Theres absolutely no reason why that song couldnt have charted reasonably well had they helped 'expose' it by playing the damned thing. Pretty much every time the Stones toured here in the last couple of decades, they managed to capitalise on it and got a decent sized hit out of a single from the album they were touring behind thanks to them playing it at their shows , even though it may have been the 3rd or 4th single from the album - or in the case of the Licks tour, they got their biggest UK hit in a couple of decades thanks to a remix of 'Sympathy'. The opportunity was there on a plate for them. Unfortunately the Stones didnt give a shit about it.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 14, 2008 15:07

>> it's a pity you can't take a boat <<

"it's a pity you can't take 'em both", isn't it?
and yeah, ABB gets plenty of play around here - my neighbours dig it too :E

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2008 15:30

I agree with ablett. It's let down by typical modern compressed "loud" production. No real dynamic range.
But that's true of most stuff today.

But I really like most of the album and play it quite a lot. It's not played as "the new album " anymore...just as fancy takes me, along with all the others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-14 15:32 by Spud.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 14, 2008 16:07

I gave it a play yesterday...the first time in many months. There are some great tunes - Let Me Down Slow, Back of My Hand, Biggest Mistake, Oh No, Not You Again - but the production is lousy. It's too muddled, too 2005...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 14, 2008 16:17

I heard it yesterday along with Bridges To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge. It's great. There's some fillers on it. The weakest tracks are Let Me Down Slow, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake an Infamy (Although Infamy is pretty interesting). The strongest tracks are Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, Streets Of Love, Back Of My Hand, This Place Is Empty and Oh No Not You Again. Then there's some "hidden" gems like Look What The Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty and Laugh I Nearly Died. I like it very much. It probably should have been cut down a few songs, but there's some classics on it (Rough Justice and Back Of My Hand are the best Stones songs since You Got Me Rocking). And I think BOMH is their best blues ever along with The Storm.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 14, 2008 17:36

YEAH- I'm listening to the best song on the album "Sweet Neocon"!! (Come on, GAzza!!!) Just bullsh-ting! The nightmare will at long last be over in Nov.

Date: February 14, 2008 17:46

JumpingKentFlash
IIt probably should have been cut down a few songs, but there's some classics on it (Rough Justice and Back Of My Hand are the best Stones songs since You Got Me Rocking)

eye popping smiley

JumpingKentFlash
And I think BOMH is their best blues ever along with The Storm.

drinking smileyeye popping smiley eye rolling smiley

Listening to it right now. Still does the trick for me. Three or four turds out of 18 isnt a lot to feel bad about.

I'd revise my original opinion on it about it being their best since Tattoo You (BTB is better) but its still very enjoyable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-14 17:47 by Gazza.

Date: February 14, 2008 17:48

scottkeef
YEAH- I'm listening to the best song on the album "Sweet Neocon"!! (Come on, GAzza!!!) Just bullsh-ting! The nightmare will at long last be over in Nov.

Why..will there be a new version of the album released then with that song omitted? smileys with beer

Date: February 14, 2008 17:50

quote JumpingKentFlash] IIt probably should have been cut down a few songs, but there's some classics on it (Rough Justice and Back Of My Hand are the best Stones songs since You Got Me Rocking)[/quote]

eye popping smiley

Sorry. I completely forgot Out Of Control and Flip The Switch.

JumpingKentFlash
And I think BOMH is their best blues ever along with The Storm.

drinking smileyeye popping smiley eye rolling smiley

Listening to it right now. Still does the trick for me. Three or four turds out of 18 isnt a lot to feel bad about.

I'd revise my original opinion on it about it being their best since Tattoo You (BTB is better) but its still very enjoyable.

>>> Well to me it's "as good" or "a tad better" than B2B. I remember I said that it's the best since VL and I still think that. VL was the best since Exile for me though.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 14, 2008 17:51

>>>>And I think BOMH is their best blues ever along with The Storm<<<<<

You must certainly give another listen to the two first albums again one of these days.

Or do you mean self written blues? In that case, let's not forget Stray Cat Blues, I got the blues, Ventilator Blues, Hide your love, Down in the hole, All about you, No use in crying, Had it with you et cetera to take in consideration.

Date: February 14, 2008 17:51

Thats funny right 'dere! I dont care who you are now, thats funny right 'dere!!

Gazza, our wits are greatly identical! Heh-Heh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-14 17:53 by scottkeef.

Date: February 14, 2008 18:02

marcovandereijk
>>>>And I think BOMH is their best blues ever along with The Storm<<<<<

You must certainly give another listen to the two first albums again one of these days.

Or do you mean self written blues? In that case, let's not forget Stray Cat Blues, I got the blues, Ventilator Blues, Hide your love, Down in the hole, All about you, No use in crying, Had it with you et cetera to take in consideration.

I do mean self-written blues. As I said: "I think BOMH is hot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smiley THEIR hot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smiley best blues ever along with The Storm". grinning smiley
It's also their best blues out of everything I've ever heard by anyone. That stomp in those two songs is unparalleled (One contender to threaten these two songs though: Muddy Waters). While Stray Cat Blues, I Got The Blues, Ventilator Blues, Hide Your Love (You can't be serious about this one), Down In The Hole, All About You, No Use In Crying (If that's a blues at all) and Had It With You are all good, they are not as great as those two songs. This just shows that blues is an art form you have to live with for a long time to truly grasp.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 14, 2008 18:15

Wow,

I will gladly agree with you if you please stop using those hyperactive smileys.

(I was serious about Hide your love though!)

Date: February 14, 2008 18:21

Look What The Cat Dragged In is rapidly becoming the 'sleeping beauty' of this album for me.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 14, 2008 18:30

Rain Fall Down, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died, and Look What the Cat Dragged In are my favorites. They rank up there with anything on VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON.

Rough Justice and Oh No Not You Again always strike me as self-parody. I wish they didn't.

Streets of Love and Sweet Neo Con are spoilt by lyrics that waver from effective to embarrassing.

Let Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, Back of My Hand, She Saw Me Coming, This Place is Empty, Driving Too Fast, and Infamy are all okay, but never top tier.

Under the Radar would go in my first list of favorites while Don't Wanna Go Home would land in my last list of okay only.

Date: February 14, 2008 18:33

come on Rocky,dont talk bad about Streets of Love(he said in jest!)

Watch out Gazza-I'll apologize again! Heh-Heh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-14 18:35 by scottkeef.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 14, 2008 18:57

I listen to ABB quite a bit actually. I think it's a pretty good album, better than a lot of their albums. I still like Voodoo and BTB but I think this one might be a bit better and is their best album since TY, even though at the time when Voodoo came out I felt it was their best LP since TY...

1. Rough Justice - I love this. SLAM right in your face rock'n'roll boogie. When I first heard this I was hoping the album would be mostly like this - that searing tearing stomping energy. I was wrong. Mostly.

2. Let Me Down Slow - This is very nice.

3. It Won't Take Long - Continues the Love Is Strong/Lowdown romp in A that Keith started with As Wicked As It Seems. I like how it comes off as mean.

Rain Fall Down - Didn't they already do Miss You, Emotional Rescue and...Sexdrive? I sort of like this tune, that live version on some awards show was just terrible, it was horrendous. Probably should have left it off the record. Instead they should have put...

4. Under The Radar - Why didn't this make the record? Child Of The Moon only a bit wiser now...

Streets Of Love - Makes Always Suffering seem genius - I skip this one ALL the time.

5. Back Of My Hand - OK, WHY don't they just do a blues album?

6. She Saw Me Coming - For @#$%& sake this SHOULD have been the second single.

7. Biggest Mistake - I like it but it's not single worthy to me. And it is sort of a by the numbers Jagger/Richards ballad but it's still a million times better than Streets Of Shit.

8. This Place Is Empty - I love how Keith's rendition of Nearness Of You seeped in to this song. I love it.

9. Oh No Not You Again - AHHH!!!!! Were they listening to When The Whip Comes Down during these sessions? Because this one sounds like it could have come from the Some Girls sessions...

10. Dangerous Beauty - I like this tune. It's murky and huge.

11. Laugh, I Nearly Died - Awright, they left this one off of side 2 of Tattoo You because why? Ha ha. Best ballad in eons, possibly since Worried About You (I do like Almost Hear You Sigh and Out Of Tears is stellar and Already Over Me is nice) but this one is just KILLER.

Sweet Neo Con - Funny. But it should have been, if anything, a B-side. Off the record.

Look What The Cat Dragged In - Ummm. Didn't INXS already do this one? This song just bugs me. Should have left it off the record.

12. Driving Too Fast - This is good filler - it moves, the lyrics are good, Mick sings with a good bit of sneer...

Infamy - This tune is funny. Keith sounds like a troll. The tune doesn't do anything. It should have been left off. Instead they should have put...

13. Don't Wanna Go Home - this would have been a good album closer.

There. 13 tracks for me. That would have worked much better. It's a bit too long but that's why there is a skip button. Overall I think it's a pretty good record and I would recommend it to someone, anyone, for (post Tattoo You) a latter day Stones album to listen to (Undercover, Voodoo, Bridges, ABcool smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 14, 2008 19:16

JumpingKentFlash
I heard it yesterday along with Bridges To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge. It's great. There's some fillers on it. The weakest tracks are Let Me Down Slow, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake an Infamy (Although Infamy is pretty interesting). The strongest tracks are Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, Streets Of Love, Back Of My Hand, This Place Is Empty and Oh No Not You Again. Then there's some "hidden" gems like Look What The Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty and Laugh I Nearly Died. I like it very much. It probably should have been cut down a few songs, but there's some classics on it (Rough Justice and Back Of My Hand are the best Stones songs since You Got Me Rocking). And I think BOMH is their best blues ever along with The Storm.

Almost fully agree. Everything perfect except the fact that B2B - and above all Out of Control, Mean it, Thief in the Night, and Stop - is all way better than VL, and that, in the blues department, there is something better than Hand (Spider & Fly, Stoned, Goot Times Bad Times, Driving your plane, Going Home, Parachute Woman, Midnight Rambler, Just Want to see his face, Black Limousine only to name some official releases ...)

C

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home