Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Darryl vs Bill Issue : Tired of It
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:10

You'd think that after 14 years, folks would be accustomed to Mr. Jones. The comparisons between he and the former Stone Mr. Wyman are tiresome.

How does one draw analogies? Well, I've been married three times, and there's little point (and much danger) in making comparisons in former wives', uh, conjugal skills.

The Stones are what they are, the clock is not gonna turn back, and there's no point in dragging on the nonsensical arguments.

Bill quit, by his own choice, and the band continued. The future can't be stopped, everyone gets older,and the sun still comes up each day.

Re: The Darryl vs Bill Issue : Tired of It
Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:29

WTF did you start the umpteenth thread about the topic then??????

Seriously, unless there's a recent interview or book or other report comparing the two that you are responding to, why start one if you are tired of it?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:32

THinking the same as you WMiller
Also: WHat's the point of a message board if we can't discuss what's on our mind when listening to all the records and videos of this band ??
Bill Wyman...he's not forgotten; what a groove, rythm and basslines he contributed with...
Where do you see all these posts about people who wants Darryl to quit, and Bill to rejoin ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-08 23:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:38

Huh. I haven't seen anything that would be alluding to anyone thinking Daryl stinks they wish Bill would come back etc... I wish a lot of things but just because I do doesn't mean I have to talk about them or not if no one has brought it up.

And really - the point is valid - it can not be changed. If whoever is sick of Daryl, go load up on 1964-1991 officials and bootlegs. There's a ton of Bill Wyman in that time span.

Duh, obviously.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:48

How about Brian vs Mick T? That would be a new one.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:52

Or Mick T versus Ronnie...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:53

bassplayer617
You'd think that after 14 years, folks would be accustomed to Mr. Jones. The comparisons between he and the former Stone Mr. Wyman are tiresome.

How does one draw analogies? Well, I've been married three times, and there's little point (and much danger) in making comparisons in former wives', uh, conjugal skills.

The Stones are what they are, the clock is not gonna turn back, and there's no point in dragging on the nonsensical arguments.

Bill quit, by his own choice, and the band continued. The future can't be stopped, everyone gets older,and the sun still comes up each day.

which begs the question that YOU brought up, (so how 'tired of it' can you be?)
...question being, did your first wife stay with you for thirty years and give birth to your dozens of children?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:53

Who do you think was better: Charlie or Keith?

Date: February 8, 2008 23:55

Keith. No, Charlie.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 8, 2008 23:56

The fact is: Bill is not a part of the Stones, and never will be again (most likely). Darryl is a hell of a bassplayer, and is blending in nicely with the Stones, I think.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: February 8, 2008 23:58

I'm really sick of that Brian Jones fella. I wish they'd get rid of him.

Date: February 8, 2008 23:58

And having two Mick's in the band? They should have never gotten that fella either.

Date: February 8, 2008 23:59

Erik_Snow
Keith. No, Charlie.

I think Charlie has probably satisfied more women.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:00

What I wonder is, which one is better - Keith Richard or Keith Richards? Because that Keith Richard fella sure did write a lot of tunes, up until 1976. Then some Richards fella took over.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:03

skipstone
And having two Mick's in the band? They should have never gotten that fella either.

He was a waste of space - literally contributing nothing to the band. But Darryl he rocks. I loves his stuff with Oates.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:04

skipstone

yeh that was damn confusing; i quite agree. big mistake.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:06

"He was a waste of space - literally contributing nothing to the band. But Darryl he rocks. I loves his stuff with Oates." CindyC

yeh, darryl is a much heavier cat than bill could ever be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 00:09 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:07

It's very hard to discern between Mick J and Mick T - they look so similar...

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 9, 2008 00:15

LOL. There's been plenty of posts alluding to the Darryl vs Bill issue in the past. Use the "search" feature, if you wanna bother making the effort. I'm not gonna spoon-feed ya, OK?

Oops, watch out, Erik just dribbled.

Tsk tsk -- slow news day.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:29

bassplayer617
LOL. There's been plenty of posts alluding to the Darryl vs Bill issue in the past. Use the "search" feature, if you wanna bother making the effort. I'm not gonna spoon-feed ya, OK?

Oops, watch out, Erik just dribbled.

Tsk tsk -- slow news day.

Hey assplayer, my question was where do you see "all these threads that bothers you"? For sure, there's not a rush of bass-comparing threads on IORR, apart from when MyStones and MTFan throw out some imbecil comments. And...if sombody mentions that Bill Wyman had some better basslines for Midnight Rambler - then why would you need to start your a thread, moaning about it ?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-10 01:28 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 9, 2008 00:31

Bassplayer-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 00:36 by WMiller.

Date: February 9, 2008 00:42

but bassplayer!
it sure ain't a slow news day. Erik didn't dribble. you made no point (other than you're tired and have a bunch of wives)...and dribbled that onto the thread. now let's stay with it.

darryl; gets better and better but not a rock and roll boogie guy; not his history or natural prediliction; cool stage presence and sometimes really nails it. consistent cat and he's there now. many who respect him and appreciate him, would still have rathered a more organic rock/blues guy when he was hired.
a top level session cat. not a rolling stone. write RS management and ask why.
i respect him but i do not respect historical revisionism on this band, no matter where it comes from, including the glims.

bill; is a natural rock and roll boogies guy; it IS his history and natural prediliction; foundational historic figure, musicanship and otherwise. founding member and extraordinary history of recordings (and seminal tours, thru the golden age and way past...it's distasteful revisionism to bring him up and that laugh off the point that you didn't really bother to make.
bill changed the world. groundbreaking tours in the world's most fulfilling, spectacular, deeply moving and wondrous rock and roll band ever. through all of brian an mickt and a lot of the best ronnie stuff. a master of boogie, blues and rock...and stunning originality; his stutters, stops, free flowing exquiste lines. THE perfect chemistry in the most revered rhythm section of all time in rock music. charlie bill and keith. you will never take that away. glims will never take all those songs out the setlist which the hired hands are paid to somewhat replicate. are you saying that the bass playing didn't matter in all of that bassplayer? i don't know why you brought it up, just let it hang there, and then laughed off your own thread. whatever...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 9, 2008 00:48

Well at least it's got us talking about something other than Shine A Light.
Personally I always favoured Dick Taylor...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 9, 2008 00:51

Jones is a good bass player but a hired gun.nothing more. Never will be a stone and Bill IS a stone just like Mick T. will always be a stone although retired!!
Just an observance-Darryl NEVER got the bass dive on 19th Nervous Breakdown right. Some things cant be taught. Just like Jason Bonham is a fantastic drummer and his dad(RIP) should be proud but it aint the same.

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: February 9, 2008 01:23

Can you imagine this board if Bill took Jones' place as bass player for the Stones in 1994. People would say.........Where did they get this dead guy? He sucks bring Darryl back!! This new guy can't swing. He sucks on stage. He bows the same during each show. Same stupid crap. It would be the same crap no matter who it is.

Date: February 9, 2008 01:26

Erik_Snow
For sure, there's not a rush of bass-comparing threads on IORR, apart from when MyStones and MTFan throw out some imbecil comments.
My Stones
Can you imagine this board if Bill took Jones' place as bass player for the Stones in 1994. People would say.........Where did they get this dead guy? He sucks bring Darryl back!! This new guy can't swing. He sucks on stage. He bows the same during each show. Same stupid crap.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-09 02:08 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2008 01:40

Don't ya reckon Darryl would look cool with a gold plated metal detector..??..

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2008 02:45

My Stones
Can you imagine this board if Bill took Jones' place as bass player for the Stones in 1994. People would say.........Where did they get this dead guy? He sucks bring Darryl back!! This new guy can't swing. He sucks on stage. He bows the same during each show. Same stupid crap. It would be the same crap no matter who it is.
WHAT?? I guess people wouldnt question or say anything since 94 was Jones first tour and Bill wouldnt have been replacing anyone! I aint too smart but I dont get the comment.

Date: February 9, 2008 02:51

Hey scottkeef you totally missed the point; no shit Bill wouldn't have been replacing anyone - but the question was what if D Jones had been the bass player forever and Wyman took over in 94. I don't see what's so difficult to understand with that one.

Date: February 9, 2008 03:15

well people do come up with some pretty strange statements here(me included), but thanks for enlightening me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home