Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones and sell out stadiums.
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 5, 2008 12:11

I just hate it when reading other threads when people say Oh this band have sold out this stadium when the Stones couldn't.

WELL The Stones have sold out all the larger stadiums time after time after time, they have done it all, nothing more to prove, They have been leading everyone else for 40 odd years and now their in there 60's why do they have to keep proving it. Perhaps when sting, Bono or Madona are 65 years old and they sell out a world tour then perhaps I'll listen.

Roll on The Stones, next time they play I'm sure they'll sell out most of their gigs.

Re: The Stones and sell out stadiums.
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 5, 2008 13:18

Yes, but apart from a few stato geeks on this site, who the hell cares?

The smaller the better as far as most of us are concerned.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 5, 2008 13:31

The bad thing with sold out venues is: You might not get in - now that's what really sucks.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 5, 2008 13:54

open-g
The bad thing with sold out venues is: You might not get in - now that's what really sucks.

<<< You might not get in >>>

Dogged perseverence ... it seems ta work most of the time.

I agree with Logie as far as venues go, the small the better.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 5, 2008 14:11

Size DOES matter! But now in a reversed way... ;-)

Jelle

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 5, 2008 14:33

pgarof
I just hate it when reading other threads when people say Oh this band have sold out this stadium when the Stones couldn't.

WELL The Stones have sold out all the larger stadiums time after time after time, they have done it all, nothing more to prove, They have been leading everyone else for 40 odd years and now their in there 60's why do they have to keep proving it. Perhaps when sting, Bono or Madona are 65 years old and they sell out a world tour then perhaps I'll listen.

Roll on The Stones, next time they play I'm sure they'll sell out most of their gigs.

I'm sure they wont, if they keep asking silly money to watch them in stadiums.

Who bloody cares, anyway? The whole thing is one mega ego-fest

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 5, 2008 14:45

Gazza
pgarof

I'm sure they wont, if they keep asking silly money to watch them in stadiums.

Who bloody cares, anyway? The whole thing is one mega ego-fest

It is an ego-fest. That's a good word for it. It's always been though. And I plan to wallow in every ego-fest they ever hold. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-05 14:59 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 5, 2008 14:55

Why is this band measuring their stadium sellout status against The Stones and not some other band? enough said...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 5, 2008 15:20

Garth Brooks sold out Fargo Dome 2000 times some years ago when he charged 10 dollars per ticket. The Stones could sell out any place in the world if they charged 10 dollars per ticket.

Bjornulf

Date: February 5, 2008 15:22

2000 times??? smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 5, 2008 15:28

open-g

Exactly !

And, the Stones have a bigger task than anybody else to sell out stadiums because they do more shows more regularly than most of the "competition".
It's just a shame that there aren't more big [15-20,000 seat] indoor arenas in many markets. The o2 shows were great. They seemed to capture both that indoor intimacy and the scale of a stadium show in good measure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-05 19:06 by Spud.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 5, 2008 15:39

Well, the only thing that prevents the Stnes from selling out all stadium gigs as in former times is the high prices they ask. Would be interesting to see the number of stadium sell-outs by other artists if they would ask the same ridiculously high prices!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 5, 2008 15:42

Im surprised they sell as well as they do at $450.00 a fu-king pop in the USA. Prices need to come down or many will need to boycott like myself due to financial issues. Hey, why dont they lay off the full time tour pastry chef for starters. LOL

Date: February 5, 2008 16:21

Bashlets
Im surprised they sell as well as they do at $450.00 a fu-king pop in the USA. Prices need to come down or many will need to boycott like myself due to financial issues.

True. I know more people who usually go to see the Stones but did not go last time than people who actually did go. There's definitely a "enough is enough"-attitude out there. And amongst the people who did go the number who usually go to multiple shows has shrinked to a minimum - one or maximum two shows compared to three, four, five and even up to ten shows during past tours.

Date: February 5, 2008 16:26

Well may be it was 20,000 times. I am sorry about the inacurracy. Actually it was something like 30, but I am trying go get the message here... they charge as much as they can, and they don't care if it is 100% or 80% full. Most of the time it is full. By the way... if I order a beer, unless it is in UK or Ireland, it is never full. Only almost full. I can live with that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 5, 2008 16:31

retired_dog
Well, the only thing that prevents the Stnes from selling out all stadium gigs as in former times is the high prices they ask. Would be interesting to see the number of stadium sell-outs by other artists if they would ask the same ridiculously high prices!

The prices are very variable though. For one of the O2 shows in London ( an arena, not stadium obviously ) I paid £70 for a fantastic second row seat at the side slightly behind the main stage, so you were very close and could see off stage as well as on. At £35 per hour I rate that as pretty good value!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 5, 2008 16:35

"By the way... if I order a beer, unless it is in UK or Ireland, it is never full. Only almost full. I can live with that"

Silly boy. Pain of death if it happens in these here parts.....

Date: February 5, 2008 16:47

Lady Jayne
The prices are very variable though. For one of the O2 shows in London ( an arena, not stadium obviously ) I paid £70 for a fantastic second row seat at the side slightly behind the main stage, so you were very close and could see off stage as well as on. At £35 per hour I rate that as pretty good value!

Yes, it is. Well, 70 Pounds for second row seat indoors is actually a bargain these days!

Date: February 5, 2008 18:04

I don't think they need or want to reduce their prices, why should they if they can get more?, good for them that's what I say.

When they tour again I think they know their market, they WILL play smaller venues because as they are getting older they cannot afford to wait 3 or 4 years between tours because of their age. They'll tour again soon in smaller venues charging top prices and people will still go and see them, I know I'll be there!

Date: February 5, 2008 18:15

Lady Jayne
retired_dog

Interesting. The only £70 tickets I was aware of for those shows were nosebleeds. pretty much everything on the floor and first tiers were £150, with the front few rows being kept for those with fanasylum style packages willing to pay four-figure amounts - until they realised not many were that stupid so they made a few available at short notice for £150. But sure, youre one in a million deal was great value and representative of how those shows were priced!eye rolling smiley

Now, the £60 tickets in the front few rows for the shows the summer before were more like it! Pretty shameful they couldnt bring it on themselves to do the same thing again instead of pulling off scams like making the venues all seated in order to charge their home fans the highest prices in Europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-05 18:19 by Gazza.

Date: February 5, 2008 18:22

pgarof
I don't think they need or want to reduce their prices, why should they if they can get more?,

maybe because theyve earned enough and would like to reward their fans for their loyalty instead of fleecing them as much as possible in order to satisfy some childish and pointless obsession with outgrossing everyone else just for the sake of doing so?

But hey, if youre happy with being charged £150 to watch a TV screen from 100 yards away, be my guest.

Date: February 5, 2008 18:25

It is all in the contracts. Most shows should have 5 rows cheap in the front. Then there are some wildcard shows they can charge full price on. happens 5-10 times on every tour. Typically Las Vegas and Glendale and a few more. I wish they could charge no money or low money but then the scalpers woyuld take it all and make the same uplift. It's a silly money ruled world. Nobody does anything for free, except for me...

Bjornulf

Date: February 5, 2008 18:38

and me..if I'm asked nicely.

anyway, as we've discussed before ad nauseam, other artists can work a system that reduces the scalper problem, reduces prices and still makes sure the money goes to the performer ...the Stones could if they wanted to. They dont.

Its hard to equate this 'prices are only high to beat scalpers' argument when theyre doing so many side deals with brokers and ticket agencies meaning they can sell on premium seats at the highest prices they can get. Everyone benefits well APART from the fans - thats the problem.

Ps - las Vegas yes, but Glendale? I didnt realise things were pricier there?

Date: February 5, 2008 18:44

Gazza
pgarof
I don't think they need or want to reduce their prices, why should they if they can get more?,

maybe because theyve earned enough and would like to reward their fans for their loyalty instead of fleecing them as much as possible in order to satisfy some childish and pointless obsession with outgrossing everyone else just for the sake of doing so?

But hey, if youre happy with being charged £150 to watch a TV screen from 100 yards away, be my guest.

As I said, I'll be there and with thousands of others, but havn't you thought about all the money they have to lay out on the set up and staging, it can't be that cheap to put on a show like they do, anyway one expects to pay for a world class act like them, if they were only adverage I'd moan at paying £10.00

Date: February 5, 2008 18:46

pgarof
Gazza
pgarof

As I said, I'll be there and with thousands of others, but havn't you thought about all the money they have to lay out on the set up and staging, it can't be that cheap to put on a show like they do, anyway one expects to pay for a world class act like them, if they were only adverage I'd moan at paying £10.00

What about all the free concerts they have put on over the years, how many other band do that?

Date: February 5, 2008 18:59

pgarof
Gazza
pgarof

are you serious? Stones tours are heavily sponsored. The risk of them losing money on a production is negligible.

I couldnt care less about what the stage looks like. I go to see and hear the music. You think that looking at a lump of inanimate metal is worth trebling the ticket price??

You are aware, I presume, that prior to 2002 these shows - with equally massive staging and overheads - were priced much cheaper than they later became? I cant believe people fall for this 'but the show costs a lot to stage' nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-05 19:02 by Gazza.

Date: February 5, 2008 19:01

pgarof
What about all the free concerts they have put on over the years, how many other band do that?

Yeah, no one else does a charity or free show. Jesus wept.

How many free concerts are we talking about here? And when you say 'free', do you mean shows where they dont get paid?

Date: February 5, 2008 19:16

Gazza
pgarof

Yeah, no one else does a charity or free show. Jesus wept.

How many free concerts are we talking about here? And when you say 'free', do you mean shows where they dont get paid?

I think you need to lay down in a dark room with a cold damp cloth on your forehead.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 5, 2008 21:39

There is nothing wrong with a tour traveling with a Pastry Chef. Many large tours travel with their own chefs. I would too if I were in that position.

Who wants to get food poisoning? A lot of tours get struck by food illnesses from bad gig food. A major act needs consistancy and saftey in food service and preperation.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 5, 2008 22:08

pgarof
I just hate it when reading other threads when people say Oh this band have sold out this stadium when the Stones couldn't.....

Could be one of them. Most of us write those those words with a sort of fierce saddness as if to watch the predictable and inevitable collapse of a Monument. Stadiums are at hands if only one morning in an irrepresible move, Keith would grab his guitar and give us a new Start Me Up, a new Rock Anthem for the 21st Century. Then things would be easier with regards to this. Roll on.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home