Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You and Your Kids; any musical common ground?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 19, 2008 15:01

I've got two boys, 24 and 21. I don't even know the words you would use to describe what the younger one listens to. It's the hardest, heaviest music that exists today, and it's not hard or heavy enough for him. If there was something harder and heavier, he'd want it. Inexplicably, he also likes Pink Floyd, so there's our common ground. The older one, though born in 1983, is obsessed with the music of the 1950s and 1960s. His favorites are Zeppelin, Clapton, and, especially, Elvis. Elvis died six years before he was born, so the fact that he's obsessed with him is astonishing to me. At 48, I consider MYSELF TOO YOUNG to be truly infatuated with Elvis.

Any thoughts?

Re: You and Your Kids; any musical common ground?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2008 15:06

The Sun Sessions compusary listening for every home...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: January 19, 2008 17:07

My oldest son, now 22 and studying at UCLA in a doctoral program, was raised on 60s British Invasion rock, and still lists the Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Zeppelin, etc. as some of his favorite artists. Over the past several years he has been to Bonnaroo a few times, and he currently likes Flaming Lips and Radiohead in addition to the old stuff.

His first two concerts in the mid 90s were the Stones (Voodoo Lounge) and Paul McCartney, so I got this kid started out on the right foot.

He's also the bass player in my band, and you can hear the two of us at:
[www.myspace.com]

My youngest son is 15, a sophomore in high school. While he appreciates the older classic rock, he is very much into Mars Volta, Dillinger Escape Plan, Hella, Meshuggah, etc.

We took the whole family, all four of us, to see the Chilli Peppers on their last tour, which was a lot of fun. I could not in a million years have imagined my dad taking all of us when I was younger out to see Mountain or Queen!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 19, 2008 17:31

Both of my kids (boys 17 and 13) have been to see The Stones and Beach Boys.

My oldest is into the heavier stuff that tatters mentioned.

My youngest, however, has excellent taste - Dylan, Petty, Stones, The Band, etc.

They both play guitar and bass.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 19, 2008 17:35

My son is currently into the High School Musical 2 cd. He used to pretend that he didn't like it. I am a good mommy and let him listen to it even though I would prefer he listen to other stuff. Sad thing is, now I know most of the songs and sing along too.

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: January 19, 2008 18:15

It's funny you bring this up. We are taking a trip down to the hot springs this weekend, and I just asked my eight year old son what CD he wanted to put in the rotation. Without hesitation he looked up from his Game Boy and said, "Between The Buttons". My 15 year old daughter is staying home to study for her high school finals, but her choice would have been The Boswell Sisters, The Kinks, Fairport Convention, "Goat's Head", or "Satanic's". Of the many things that make me proud of my kids, their musical taste is high on the list. The strange thing is, the music I consciously tried to get them to like (The Band and Dylan) leaves them a bit cold. Artists like Phil Ochs and Leadbelly, that they discovered by just being around while I was playing it, they have taken to their hearts. One last brag. My daughter sings like an angel. Last night I played piano as she sang Benny Goodman, Louis Prima, and Eddie Cantor songs.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 19, 2008 19:29

My 18 year old has seen the Stones twice with me, and loved it. Conversely, he has turned me onto some great stuff, like Beck and Radiohead. The Stones show in Toronto in 2005 was great as we both were into Beck and Radiohead, each introduced by the other.

My 14 yr old daughter has recently gotten into music. Stunningly, she asked if I could burn her some Stones. She had heard the song 'Play With Fire' and loved it.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 19, 2008 20:03

Great question...

I have a girl, 12½, and a boy, 10.
My son is into music. Although the Stones wouldn't be on his list of faves, he has inherited some (but not all) of his dad's excellent taste in music. His favorites:

1) Beatles
2) The Who
3) Peter Gabriel
3) The Doors
4) Led Zeppelin

He turned me on to Maroon 5, who seem okay. Thank goodness that we can't let them spend two hours, two school nights per week watching horrible American Idol on Fox. So they can't get hooked on that crap while they're sitting around, eating, sleeping, asking for money, going to friends, sleeping, etc.

Number one... The Beatles transcends generations! The Beatles, which is my number one answer in the other thread about common musical ground with parents.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: January 19, 2008 20:56

Mu oldest son is 22 and shares my love like of
The Beatles
Loads of Punk
Sonic Youth
Hendrix
Teenage Fanclub

My youngest is 19 and autisic, no great love of music but will insist on certain CDs in the car at times. the first song he was showed an interest in wa " I Need Direction - Teenage Fanclub" he played it on repeat for 55mins.

i later got thebchance to tell the writed the full story which was cool.

Date: January 19, 2008 20:59

I took my son Ian, now 8, to see the Stones at age 5 & 6. He saw the Who, Steve Miller Band (with opening acts WAR and Linda Rondstadt at age 6) and Three Dog Night. He enjoyed the music and the concerts but he has his own opinion now and prefers Hip Hop/Rap.
Hopefully, he'll appreciate those concerts more when he's 30 or so...

My 2 year old daughter sat with me in the front row for Three Dog Night...I figured it was a good "starter show" for a toddler.
She smiled and clapped the entire show and the band members smiled when ever they glanced across the audience and saw her.
My concern with her is that she'll expect front row seats every time now...
smiling smiley

Posted by: phd ()
Date: January 19, 2008 21:30

In common :

a) Rolling Stones ( they, in fact, are more aware than me about what's going on
with this band, chasing on the web news, collecting DVs, and are awaiting on my money to be able to see them in NY and SA)
b) Bruce Springsteen

c) Dylan

In disagrrement : we diverge on all the other as I mostly listen to classical music.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 19, 2008 22:50

My daughters are 6 and 3. They both love Lou Reed and The Rolling Stones....so we have a good Rock&roll team goin'on here...

Posted by: Neil F ()
Date: January 20, 2008 08:43

My older son will be 21 in April. He has seen the Stones four times. The last time being his "dream concert" in Pittsburgh with Pearl Jam opening for the Stones. I will never forget the first notes he heard live, the Goo Goo Dolls opening for the Stones. He thought he knew music from MTV but was blown away by the force of a live production in an arena. Halfway through the Stones he was too tired to stand while is uncle and father were still standing to the notes of Midnight Rambler. In May of 2006 he "took me" to see Pearl Jam in Boston. I just bought him Santana tickets because I feel it is someone he needs to see. We also shared "The WHo" in December of 2006.

My younger son will be 16 in February and has seen the Stones twice. We also went to two Alice Cooper shows together. He was lucky enough to catch some "Dirty Diamonds" at the last show. After listening to Warren Zevon every night when he was younger I figured I would get called into school some day to explain why he was singing the lyrics to "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner".

All of us have enjoyed Weird Al Yankovic together. That was actually the first show my younger son ever saw.

Someone once asked on a subway train in Boston while leaving a show..."what current band will your children take their children to see?" Interesting to think about.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 20, 2008 09:39

My son loves Kiss.He is only 5 and the facepaint and theatrics really appeals to him.Some evenings we stick a dvd on ,usually the Auz gig,don the facepaint and get his drum kit and mini Fender out.Great fun.Quite comical :When he was 4 we were in the local fish and chip shop when the lady behind the counter asks him:"What are you and Daddy going to do this evening?"
And my son ,Charlie replies"go home and put our makeup on".
Try explaining that one away.....

Anyhow his first gig was the Stones at Fenway,followed by the Sex Pistols at Manchester(does a great version of EMI)

Date: January 20, 2008 19:01

I wish someone had taken ME to concerts when I was 6 or 7. I might have seen the Beatles, or the Stones with Brian.

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: January 20, 2008 19:17

yup..i have many 'kids' and kids who have kids ... ages 3 months to 29 yrs ... most of the boys are/were into death metal music but they all are also into the 'old' stuff - stones, doors, hendrix, floyd, etc... and they have turned me on (lol) to groups like Sublime, Rancid, etc ...it flows back & forth the only thing i really cant stand is hardcore rap/hip hop and thankfully none of them are into that

i think the generation gap lines are blurring away to nothing in terms of music anymore really

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 20, 2008 22:34

My daughter (19) came with me to see The Stones at Wembley Arena in 2003. We've also been together to Ryan Adams, Morrissey, Radiohead. I have turned her on to Laura Nyro,Ryan Adams, Led Zeppelin, Amy Winehouse

She says she hates The Stones but I think it's just to annoy me! Her absolute favourites for many years have been Radiohead, who I like a little but i just don't get the fuss!

I think the biggest meeting of minds would be Ryan Adams and Amy Winehouse

Posted by: Gleb ()
Date: January 20, 2008 23:06

me and my dad we both listen to the same stuff, beatles, stones, the band, dylan, cream, solo clapton and everythings thats actually good
the only thing he likes and i don't is sinatra, i dont know, i just dont like him... maybe in 10 years

Date: January 20, 2008 23:21

Gleb
me and my dad we both listen to the same stuff, beatles, stones, the band, dylan, cream, solo clapton and everythings thats actually good
the only thing he likes and i don't is sinatra, i dont know, i just dont like him... maybe in 10 years

Once in a while, if I'm in a restaurant or someplace I can't get up and change the music, I'll hear Sinatra singing a really good song like "Night and Day" and I'll catch myself thinking "Man! That really IS good! Maybe Frank requires a little further investigation on my part." But the greater truth is that there is something inescapably INSINCERE about him. It's not just that he didn't write his own material. No one did in those days. It's that I just do not BELIEVE a word he is singing. I'm not sure why that is. He just sounds full of shit to me.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: January 20, 2008 23:28

My son is 1 year old (today). Last week I brought him in from his morning nap and he was a bit cranky. I had the Biggest Bang DVD playing and when Keith started singing (little T&A I think) my son started bouncing up and down and clapping his hands. I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come. He did get to hear the Stones live from his mothers womb at Hampden Park 2006.grinning smiley

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 20, 2008 23:53

Just a memory..playing Miss You one day and she says "who's this?" "The Stones" "it is not!!!!!!!"

"The Rolling Stones did not do Miss You" she insists...

Lol she knew the track but not the artist

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: January 20, 2008 23:58

I don't have kids yet probably due to my age, which is 20. My dad and me have almost the same musical taste, which is especially Stones and Joe Cocker. I also hear "newer" stuff than he does, like Green Day, Billy Idol, Guns'n Roses, bands, he surely never listened to.
But please note: I found my musical taste on my own, it was not his indoctrination :-)

Posted by: Gleb ()
Date: January 21, 2008 00:05

tatters
Gleb

Once in a while, if I'm in a restaurant or someplace I can't get up and change the music, I'll hear Sinatra singing a really good song like "Night and Day" and I'll catch myself thinking "Man! That really IS good! Maybe Frank requires a little further investigation on my part." But the greater truth is that there is something inescapably INSINCERE about him. It's not just that he didn't write his own material. No one did in those days. It's that I just do not BELIEVE a word he is singing. I'm not sure why that is. He just sounds full of shit to me.
EXACTLY!!
when i listen to the stones or hendrix or the postbeatlemania beatles i can feel that they mean it and that they wrote it themselves but theres something about sinatra that i just cant relate to

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 21, 2008 00:08

Ok here you go...............

My oldest daughter 27 loves the 60ties, Dolly Parton, Beatles and Reggae, took here twice to a Stones concert

My son 25 loves the 60ties and all those new bands and he makes his own music hard dance style or whatever........

My second daughter 24 loves good music from then and now and she can sing .... you can check it on the internet somewhere.

My third daughter 22 loves them all oldies and newbees saw the Stones one time

And there is my son of 19 he loves......top40 music and oldies too, saw the Stones too

And my youngest of 8.... she loves K3, Mika and she can sing along with Amy Winehouse

Ok ok ............ I brainwashed them all ;o)

And they all like Emie Wijnhuis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home