Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: I am a fan since 1977, but I boycot this NEW album
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 21, 2008 11:42

I truly don't know what most of you are talking about!

The only things I can't stand of official live releases is that they are all edited and we do not have an official full show. But that is true for all albums since Got Live.

If you can accept that, I think that all live releases since Flashpoint (included) were very diverse and had more than one motive of interest. That is, of course, for the avarage fan who does not already have a boot of every single show.

I cannot see one onlywarhorses release-

Flashpoint was a good mix of everything, war horses, new ones form Steel Wheels, rarities. Stripped was a very original mix of live takes and studio remakes of old material. No security, save shelter, was all new songs and rarities. Live Lix CD 2 was a very interesting selection of rarities. They added a cd 1 of warhorses, for the same price. What's bad about it?

C

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 21, 2008 11:53

"I have my doubts about the Rollling Stones musical standard since their last
live tour in 1973, and in the studio after Black & Blue,when Ron Wood became a fultime member.
He could have replaced Keith Richards,but Mick Taylor?"

Superb stuff. It's like being in your own world...... bless those 'Taylorites' (resembles some sort of sad star treck fanclub!)

If you don't want the 'new' release then don't buy it. Simple

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: January 21, 2008 12:17

Superb stuff. It's like being in your own world...... bless those 'Taylorites' (resembles some sort of sad star treck fanclub!)

Yeah exactly,I'm surprised they don't have some sort of Klingon morphed Taylor language of their own that they can talk to each other and make themselves feel so superior

Date: January 21, 2008 13:05

Could always start with "Vibrato" I suppose.....

Posted by: brass olive ()
Date: January 21, 2008 14:33

...and I'm surprised Ablett didn't use the word "prat" like he always does when he doesn't like a thread !

Date: January 21, 2008 14:38

prat

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 21, 2008 15:02

I keep threatening to boycott this thread but I keep checking on it and marvelling that it's still going and taking so many posts.
You sure started something Keefriffhard.

Hell wait 'til the album actually arrives and the opinions start to flood in. Bring It On!

...course the non-buyers/boycotters won't be able to pass comment.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: January 21, 2008 15:07

Has riffhard totally lost it?
Someone been mean to you lately?
It's just the soundtrack of a fabulous documentary - and the highlights from two memorable nights in NY.
If you were not there, this is your chance to listen to the magic - in the privacy of your own house.

Fan since 77, eh? Why? If they haven't done anything you like since 83 - why do you call yourself a fan?

Or are you just an internet TROLL?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 21, 2008 15:39

Bashlets
Hoping that it sounds very good. If it's a shitty mix, and performance it will completely hurt the movie. I can not see them releasing a soundtrack unless they were totally happy with their performance.

Thats not really too important. Both the visual and audio aspects of the movie can be subject to substantial overdubbing and careful editing if the director and/or band requires it, in order to make it worthy of release.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 21, 2008 16:11

JumpingKentFlash
And why should DVDs have anything to do with live CD becoming obsolete? VHS video tapes wasn't that much different from DVDs, and live CDs weren't obsolete in 1994.

They were getting there.

I would say that the amount of live albums released by MOST bands since the 80s and 90s is definitely less than it was before. And the proliferation of live Videos/DVDs would be a factor in that. The only notable trend in terms of releasing mroe live CDs in recent years has been by some older acts issuing 'archive' live releases. How many bands other than the Stones do you know who release live CDs from their CURRENT tours now? I cant think of too many - and none who do it from every tour.

Simple reason why theyre relatively obsolete is that with a DVD you have a more complete listening experience than it is on audio or on videotape - being able to see the music as well as listen to it in surround sound.[/quote]

Well Robbie Williams and Paul McCartney did it in 2002 and 3. It's all about giving it a chance I think. If I went home and listened to a live CD with the prejudice opinion that live CDs are obsolete I probably wouldn't enjoy it too much. But I don't. I take it for what it is. I don't wish for what I didn't get. I enjoy what I actually got, and if that's a live CD, then so be it. Now I don't enjoy the way Live Licks was compiled. But what was actually on it was pretty good. There was a few bad things on it like the RO edit and the omission of Jumping Jack Flash, which I think A- Can't be left out on a disc that compiles the greatest hits (LL disc 1), and B- The song has never been better than in the 2000s.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 21, 2008 17:25

ablett
Could always start with "Vibrato" I suppose.....

maybe BV builds another button... but then - nah, don't think so.

[VIBRATO][/VIBRATO]

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: January 21, 2008 17:40

ablett
live tour in 1973, and in the studio after Black & Blue,when Ron Wood became a fultime member.

I didn't:

Black&Blue was my last,a pitty Wayne Perkins or Harvy Mandel didn't get the Job.
Ron Wood is just a second hand Rolling Stone to me,trying to be funny and sound like Keith...

Date: January 21, 2008 17:56

YAWN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2008 17:56

MTFan
ablett

I didn't:

Black&Blue was my last,a pitty Wayne Perkins or Harvy Mandel didn't get the Job.
Ron Wood is just a second hand Rolling Stone to me,trying to be funny and sound like Keith...

Now, that's what I call an attitude! >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-21 17:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: January 21, 2008 20:20

why buy the cd when it will be on dvd soon? its not a boycot but logic thing to do.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: January 21, 2008 21:17

ROLLINGSTONE
Hell wait 'til the album actually arrives and the opinions start to flood in. Bring It On!

...course the non-buyers/boycotters won't be able to pass comment.

Well, my memory ain't what it never was, but I seem to recall a few setlist whiners who did not actually attend any shows but just read the setlists - and then whined.

Still, one has to give credit to riffhard for inventing a new genre - whining about an album that is not even out yet.

Cue setlist whiners - start whining now!!! Before we even know if there will ever be aný more tours or even concerts. Be the first on your block to whine. Don't do tomorrow what you can do today........ ;-)

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 21, 2008 21:27

The hired bimbos in the front stalls certainly weren't complaining at the setlists.

...they'd never heard ANY of the songs before.

I just hope we can hear them screaming on the album! Perhaps a return to Got Live!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 21, 2008 22:44

mofur
Cue setlist whiners - start whining now!!! Before we even know if there will ever be aný more tours or even concerts. Be the first on your block to whine. Don't do tomorrow what you can do today........ ;-)

I think that the term "setlist whiners" does not really fit in this case. Whatever there is to whine about, the fact that Shine A Light is the third live album in twelve years compared to only two studio albums (I did not count Stripped because this is a different beast by mixing studio rerecordings of older songs and live cuts) does tell something about the Stones creativity and I think the original poster's criticism goes into this direction...

It's a pity that this fact overshadows the potential qualities of Shine A Light a bit. It's possible that it is a good album. Who knows? Let's wait and see (hear)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-21 22:47 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2008 23:03

retired_dog
mofur

It's a pity that this fact overshadows the potential qualities of Shine A Light a bit. It's possible that it is a good album. Who knows? Let's wait and see (hear)!

Yeah, that's true. And I'd love to be proven wrong if I don't expect anything special, but the album turns out be a total killer (matching more YA-YA'S than NO SECURITY) - better that way than other way around...

- Doxa

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 21, 2008 23:44

I don't really expect anything special either, Doxa, for various reasons, some of them already mentioned by others posters (and I am not a fan of special guest appearances on Stones songs either after Dave Matthews and Sheryl Crow ruined some stuff at least for me!), but just like you I'd love to be proven wrong, and the possibility that the band gave those Beacon recordings probably some more attention than, let's say Live Licks, because it's a movie soundtrack and it therefore has to be up to par alone gives me at least some hope which has been even fuelled a bit more recently after listening to the short clips which are included in the movie trailer.

In a couple of weeks we'll know more - until then it's only guessing.

Posted by: Jochem ()
Date: January 22, 2008 03:08

what a strange thread this is actually. How can you complain about too many livealbums? the one thing you can complain about in my humble opinion is if there are screwed up soloos on an official live album, because they should have been overdubbed just as they did on YaYa's. live licks for instance could have been a classic if only they had made the EFFORT to properly produce it before it came out. that is what bugs me, the disrespect for the fans these days. Not bringing out the the 72, 73, 75, 76, 78 tours on official product is also bugging the hell out of many fans. Give it to us, what is holding them back?
Price it at a 100 bucks a piece, I still buy it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 22, 2008 04:30

Eh, the live albums. It would be great if they were live. They all have overdubs - Let's Spend The Night Together has a 3rd guitar line in the bridge, even though there was no third guitar onstage for that song on that tour. Songs are edited. The same songs keep appearing over and over. How many versions of Brown Sugar do we need? The best one is on Live Licks. The one on Love You Live is an edit hack job, just like Rocks Off on Live Licks.

Sympathy? Ya-Ya's, although Love You Live's version is funky. Flashpoint's is good but it's...missing balls.

Satisfaction - is the version on Still Life the same one that's on Flashpoint and that is on Live Licks? Because they all sound the same.

Gimme Shelter - it's only live album appearance - is excellent on No Security.

Do the Stones have another Tattoo You in waiting? They did have an album of Voodoo and Bridges leftovers - and they pulled it. Would it be as good as Tattoo You? Huh. Let's see - tracks from 1972 with Mick Taylor on them, Waiting On A Friend and Tops. The Black And Blue tunes - Start Me Up, Slave and Worried About You - imagine if they had finished those and put those on that album!

And imagine how much better Some Girls could have been if they had included Black Limousine and didn't hold off releasing some them on Emotional Rescue - which could have been much better with Hang Fire and Little T&A and No Use In Crying....

Etc...

Date: January 22, 2008 04:54

actually overdubs serve their purpose, you do not want too many of them ofcourse but its better to have an overdub then everytime having to turn the volume way down when the solo on HTW starts on live licks for example. Or let them choose the tracks without bad parts on them there must be plenty of them.
actually many boots are near perfect without any overdubs. but for me the more live albums the better, each tour is different and has interesting styles and rare songs, just cannot stand these crappy parts on some of the live licks songs which actually is a really great live album, listen to Neighboors for instance, and Monkey Man wow is played so cool. the Live licks tour was one of their best ever and deserved a top quality live album, such a shame they did not make the effort.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 22, 2008 05:17

In Neighbours on Live Licks you can hear the guitar overdub because...you can hear the original guitar track bleeding through the vocal. That's not live - sorry - keep the screw-ups.

I've got the Seventh Of July from the Urban Jungle tour - it's fantastic. It sounds more raw than Flashpoint and it's straight from the board. It's LIVE!

My biggest complaint with the live albums is just that - they are not live. All but what, TWO vocals on Ya-Ya's are overdubs! Almost all the vocals on Love You Live and Still Life are overdubs. It's hard to tell on Flashpoint, No Security and Live Licks.

Regardless, I like the live albums. The aspect of having something from the tour that I couldn't get to see (I saw Steel Wheels and Voodoo - twice even) live is great to me. People say the Stones have put out too many live albums. Compared to who? At least No Security finally had ZERO hits on it and all but two tracks were previously unreleased on any live albums.

My live album ranks:
1. Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! - wish they would have included Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter, those storming stomping versions that are in the movie. And JJF from the movie is much better...the live vocal, the REAL live vocal...it's different than the record version - the studio record version...and the 'live' album version...

2. No Security - Ah flip the switch! I LOVE this album! The new tunes...although that Dave Mathewws guy @#$%& up Memory Motel.

3. Live Licks - disc 2 especially - Monkey Man is worth the price alone.

4. Love You Live - best version of Honky Tonk Women ever. YCAGWYW is superb. The blues side is fantastic. They destroy quite a few other tunes, which I find to be fascinating. You Got To Move is excellent. The last 4 or so tunes are just horrendously performed...which is excellent. It's like a commercial for the LSTNTogether movie in advance, which I love because of their shitty performance. They were hurrying through everything. It's a great bad Stones!

5. Flashpoint - by the numbers hits - tight sounding band and best version of Start Me Up. At least it has one good Steel Wheels tune on it.

6. Got LIVe If You Want It - the only thing on this piece of shit that is worth a shit is Lady Jane.

Excluding Stripped for obvious reasons. But it is a superb album.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 22, 2008 05:47

i have bought live licks for some friends when it came out but i never listen to it myself.
i DO listen to a great & wonderful totally live straight off the air HBO MSG special 1/03 over and over...no overdubs and great powerful performances imo...love it. thrilling.
several live licks versions are from this show but the production job takes away a lot of the excitement from the live mix over the air imo. for me that live tv concert IS the definitive 'live licks' document. untouched, un 'remixed and mastered' ; just pure stones and mighty fine. of course rock and rollers on bass and piano would have helped, but taking things as they are these days, this is a tremendously powerful show imo. and i was lucky to have a pristine excellent feed recorded off the air only several miles away from the garden.

i'm not boycotting anything stones, and will damn sure be one of the first at the Imax, as I was last time they did this some 12, 13 years ago...and also have bought every!! release, but do feel like the band is boycotting me from their live shows because i can't come up with a grand for two good tix where you can really hear things really well, and i've walked out of stadium shows in moderate seats because the sound was getting to me out of synch with the live screen; and it was a horrible dim mess of an echoey shite sound by the time it got to me. i walked out of there and was happy to be in my car listening to the classic stuff with great sonics and left the eventorama to the very many in the huge crowd of people who seemed to be having a great time at the football stadium.

that makes me feel ripped off frankly, because it's too expensive and i dont' care about fireworks, unless they are coming from the performances. I guess I should have went to the scalpers and just paid a fortune to get close?? feel ripped cause those prices are sick and i've been a huge fan since their very first release and have bought Every release; some several times...i've given away at least a dozen copies of banquet to friends as gifts etc..etc...have been privately promoting them with my own bucks to so many friends and also the uninitiated, (with great joy because i think their music is that important...)

i even continued to buy every release after several of them were one time plays and then used as blank tape starting in the early to mid 80's...
loved vl tho...and there's usually a few tracks on each release that make me very happy and were worth the price to me...

always seemed curious to me that fans, here and elsewhere are somehow proud of them having record-breaking grosses $$ for their tours...and brag about it. because in that regard the Stones are boycotting many of their faithful and many who would become so, for the quick grab at the heavy yupsters and the one timers. i can't respect that.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: January 22, 2008 10:52

retired_dog
I think that the term "setlist whiners" does not really fit in this case.

Eh? Maybe the Danish form of irony does not travel well??

My point being that moaning about an album that is not even out yet is equal to moaning about setlists for concerts that you did not attend. Actually, it is going one better.

Therefore I went a little further and suggested that the setlist whiners might as well get ahead and moan about the setlists for the next as-yet-not-announced tour.

Hope I made myself clearer this time smileys with beer

retired_dog

And I totally agree on your last point. Let us at least have the courtesy and respect for The Stones (the one reason we're all here) of not moaning before the album is even out.

I've not heard anything from the shows,that are the base of this album - only snippets - but apart from the screaming young girls who do not have any prior knowledge to The Stones - Marty, what were you thinking? - I heard these were good shows thumbs up

Date: January 22, 2008 11:12

<Ron Wood is just a second hand Rolling Stone to me,trying to be funny and sound like Keith...>

Like on YCAGWYW in 1975/76? Hey Negrita in 75? Hot Stuff in 1976? When The Whip Comes Down in 78? Imagination in 81? Undercover in 89?

Date: January 22, 2008 11:16

<the one thing you can complain about in my humble opinion is if there are screwed up soloos on an official live album, because they should have been overdubbed just as they did on YaYa's.>

There are only vocal overdubs on YaYa's. Thought that was common knowledge by now. Or do you have some new information here, Jochem?

Posted by: brass olive ()
Date: January 22, 2008 15:29

DandelionPowderman
<the one thing you can complain about in my humble opinion is if there are screwed up soloos on an official live album, because they should have been overdubbed just as they did on YaYa's.>

There are only vocal overdubs on YaYa's. Thought that was common knowledge by now. Or do you have some new information here, Jochem?

I'm not sure we can answer this as we're missing a tape from one of the MSG shows.
For instance, Sympathy FTD could have guitar overdubs....

Perhaps the person who has all shows in sb quality might be able to put this to bed...?

Date: January 22, 2008 21:36

On YaYa's the guitar solo on SFD is an overdub, maybe the one on stray cat blues too. Maybe somebody knows this for sure?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home