Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pleased to Meet You from Genesis Publications...
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 16, 2008 19:01

I've been thinking about purchasing this book put out by Genesis (http://www.genesis-publications.com/books/put/index.html but I was curious what those of you who have it or have at least have seen it think about it. Please share your thoughts!

Re: Pleased to Meet You from Genesis Publications...
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: January 16, 2008 19:14

One limited edition chases the other.....

Still too expensive for just a book.

Date: January 16, 2008 19:20

Roadster32
One limited edition chases the other.....
Still too expensive for just a book.

Price aside, what do think of the book itself?

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: January 16, 2008 19:24

Well if you don't care about the money I guess it looks a nice book to have.

Date: January 16, 2008 20:13

I do care about the money which is why I'm asking about the book itself. Anyone else care to provide a more detailed commentary regarding actual content?

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: January 16, 2008 20:42

This is an excellent collection of Stones photos (72-86) - lots of good ones from the Taylor-era. Well worth it. Book is very well-made - weighs about 10 pounds!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 16, 2008 20:47

Their retarded prices makes me wanna steal it and scan all the pages and put on the internet for the whole world to enjoy.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 18, 2008 15:43

I bought the Exile Deluxe Edition when it was first announced, and I have never regretted it for a second. If I were going to buy another one, I might be more tempted to get the Tour of the Americas book -- that looks incredible.

If you care about money, though, wouldn't you rather spend the 250 GBP on a floor seat to see the Stones when they come around this year?

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: January 18, 2008 15:49

tota is incredible...get it, if you can

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:03

ChrisM
I bought one and love it. Michael Putland provides a nice text to acompany the photos..the photos cover the 70's and up to 86 as previously stated. I like the coverage of the IORR video shoot, and the some girls era plus the 100 club /82 pics are nice. Mostly black and white photos.

The box presentation is pretty classy too. I do not think its as Good as the TOTA they put out a couple of years back...which is a huge volume and Magnificent is a word I would use to describe it. So if you are looking at choices then its TOTA first PTMY second.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:40

TOTA is incredible, I made the plunge and got it about a year ago. Would love to have the Exile book. Yes these books have insane prices but they are very nice, at least my TOTA book is pretty impressive.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:41

Its such a shame the Genesis books are unavailable to most of us. I just cant see forking out a grand for a book, when there are so many other great artifacts from the day to collect, such as rare records, posters, tapes, and acetates. The only reason I have the TOTA, is because I got a free one, as I worked on it.

JR

Date: January 18, 2008 16:57

JR - how did you get the chance to work on that book? I am involved in the publishing business and am a writer and I'd love the chance to do anything Stones related with my work...

Date: January 18, 2008 17:07

Dound Dog asked:

JR - how did you get the chance to work on that book? I am involved in the publishing business and am a writer and I'd love the chance to do anything Stones related with my work...

A good friend in the UK, who is friendly with the Genesis folks, hooked me up with them. I did some proofreading, fact checking, and gave them other info on that tour-my first....anyway, thats about it. My name is in the acknowlegement section, near the back.

Best, and good luck.

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 17:10 by stone-relics.

Date: January 18, 2008 17:14

JR-

Nice, that is pretty cool. I have been asked to contribute on a project/book someone is doing on the 72 tour. A good friend of mine from college is from Warwick, Rhode Island and his father was a cop and was there when Mick and Keith were arrested that year. He has the actual mugshots and tells a great story of the inncident. I need to get that story on tape cause he tells it with great detail.

Date: January 18, 2008 17:25

Yeah, I would love to hear that from the horses mouth...send me a tape!

Best, and good luck...

JR

Date: January 18, 2008 17:34

When I finally interview him and tape it I will transcribe the tape and post it here. I have been putting it off for a few years now and need to get on the ball with that.

Date: January 18, 2008 17:42

ex....best,

JR

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 18:26

ChrisM- I've got the book and while it is expensive, it is very nice. All the Genesis books are very special collector's books.

These books are an investment. They're like a fine painting that you put on display.

If you can swing it, you won't regret it.

Bob Gruen's "Crossfire Hurricane," which I believe is fully subscribed, is another great Genesis publication.

Our boy Ronnie had many of his paintings published in yet another Genesis Publication- "Every Picture Tells a Story." Ronnie signed all copies.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: January 20, 2008 19:15

Pleased to meet you is an extraordinary book with a fantastic collection of Michael Putland's outstanding photographs. A mixture of energetic live shots and intimate private moments. The production itself is perhaps less extravagant than many of the other titles in the range but it still remains a very high quality product.

Many have criticised the pricing of Genesis' books but I am afraid it all comes down to very simple economics. Whether we like it or not these are niche titles and they would simply not sell enough to even break even on a $40 product so instead of us not having access to the material ever the only other option is to do a very high end book in limited run and sell it direct (no book shops that take large cuts). All the money can then go into the materials, craftsmanship and time in preparation and layout making the end result stunning.

They are not just books they are works of art (and investments). Like anything exclusive when it sells out they can fetch many times the original price. Without exception the sold out editions all sell at a minimum of 2 times their release price (If you have any to sell I would be delighted to buy them at double price!). The answer is can you afford not to buy one (or two). The 100's of $40 books you can buy are worth nothing more than your enjoyment of them.

I have been a distributor for Genesis for over 10 years and would be delighted to offer IORR members free global shipping on any title (just email me on [email protected]). As many of you already know I also have direct access to the full range of Ronnie Art and am able to offer IORR members a special 15% discount (just mention IORR when you email me).

The full range of Genesis Stones related titles over time are as follows:

Blinds & Shutters - Michael Cooper 60's photos (Signed by Wyman and mix of others, some inc. Keith or Charlie or Ronnie)
Masons Yard to Primrose Hill - Gered Mankowitz photos
Crossfire Hurricane - Bob Gruen American Tour photos
Pleased to Meet You - Michael Putland 70's photos
Wood On Canvas - Ronnie's art (signed by Ronnie)
I-Contact - Gered Mankowitz complete B&W Stones archive
Wyman Shoots Chagall - Wymans photos of Chagall (signed by Wyman)
Exile - Dominique Tarle Nelcotte photos (deluxe signed my Mick Taylor)
ToTA - Christopher Simon Sykes 1975 Tour photos

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: January 20, 2008 19:23

LieB
Their retarded prices makes me wanna steal it and scan all the pages and put on the internet for the whole world to enjoy.

do it for all us poor folks out here !!!!

haha

i agree prices for these books are absolutely insane, do they really think that the average fan has that kind of cash laying around ?? i guess some do but not the majority that is for sure

but then again i guess these books are not for the 'average fan' but for the above average FANATIC who would spend anything on them... or for the rich

just like ticket prices last tour

LOL thas why i bought most of my tickets day of out front for less than half price face ... im not a fanatic and im not rich but i love the stones...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home