Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
ot: Any iMac users here?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:01

Get ready to laugh.

For the first time ever, I am shopping for a home computer.
For years, I have been using this thing called WebTV, which is an internet reciever attached to your television. It is cheap and a real space saver (about the size of a DVD player), but it cannot do much more than display the internet. It cannot function with many interactive sites, videos are hard to watch, etc. I have been using my computer at work for whatever I cannot do at home, but I have just changed jobs and my new employer has the entire internet firewalled with the exception of the few sites we use at work.

What I basically want is a good multimedia system, but I am not into the gaming thing and do not want to spend too much for something I will not use. I am thinking that $1200-1600 USD will get me what I want/need. So far, I have looked at reviews for Apple's latest iMac, as well as Dell and Gateway.

I have heard that many people are not that impressed with Windows Vista, some have difficulty with it, and iMacs have gained in popularity recently.

Would anyone like to comment on their experience with the MAC and Windows Vista systems?

Re: ot: Any iMac users here?
Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:13

Go with the mac. Avoid the dell at all costs, expect to replace the gateway in less than 18 months

OLDKR

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:15

Macs are better. I use a PowerMac but I've messed around on iMacs in the past and swear that they are better in every way to PCs, except in one crucial area: price. Macs are generally more expensive than comparable PCs, but maybe my thinking is outmoded.

And because we need to keep this board Stones related, Mac was a great sideman for the boys back in the day.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:18

I will admit to 2 specific and complete areas of incompetence - can't drive standard and can't figure out how computers work. Good friends who have tried to improve me in either area, and who can usually laugh with me or at me just grimace like they have a painful groin injury when reminded of their futile efforts.

And... I bought a Mac a year ago.

It is VERY cute. Thought the set-up in the store was very tidy and impressive. Asked the sales guy where they keep the hard drives... he is still off on medical leave as a result of the transaction...

But it really is intuitive. If I futz around with it long enough, I usually manage to get it to do what I want (am ridiculously proud of my crappy slideshow...), and I am sure I will be able to install Firefox on the second try... maybe... tomorrow.

So I am hooked. And... I'm approximately the last person you want to take any advice from on this - but you already figured that out! OK - I can reliably say it saves space. LOVE the Mac!

(Yes, there are other areas of incompetence, but I will never admit to them...)

Date: November 20, 2007 04:21

Thanks for the advice so far.
The latest iMac is advertised at $1650, on the high end of my price range, but I might be willing to go that route if it is a better and simpler system to use.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:42

its easier to use and the old mac/PC divide no longer exists. Its no longer a matter of being arty or being efficient. Its a matter of buying a mac that works for you or a PC that you work for.

OLDKR

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:42

I use Macs at home but I reluctantly use PCs at work...

MACS ARE BETTER.

Furthermore, if you intend to do anything involving any kind of GRAPHICS...
it isn't even close.

MACS ARE BETTER.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:45

Get a 15 inch Pro Mac Lap Top ( [www.apple.com] ) - I'm writing this in bed right now on one, can't beat that. When you go MAC you can say ADIOS to 99% of all viruses as well as a lot of other problems.... I used to be a PC man, NEVER AGAIN. Have 5 Macs (15 ", 17", 2 -23" high definition Pro Macs- G5's, Mac G4) for the house and the business' and they work JUST FINE... You know what they say, "Once you go MAC you never go BACK"......(at least that's what they say in my Hood...LOL)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 20, 2007 05:33

Macs may be a bit more expensive, but they save you a lot of headache medicine, and usually last longer. And with the current Intel-based Macs, if you really want to go back, you can always install Windows on it. But I warn you, once you use a Mac for a while, you don't wan't to go back. No more messing around with drivers, virusscanners, adware blockers, etc.

Date: November 20, 2007 06:30

Gotta agree with Koen here. If I had to buy a PC today it'd be like giving up a BMW and picking up a banged up Pinto.... Oh forgot to mention, F**k Dell, a crap company, had BIG problems with them back in the day (before I became enlightened with Mac - yeah, it is kinda spiritual)

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 20, 2007 09:03

I say go for a Mac. NO contest!

But then I am a biased long-term Mac user, so I would say that...

I definitely agree that once you've used a Mac, you'll really hate to use a PC.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 20, 2007 09:36

I use an IMac. Superb. I converted from PissyComputers this year, and the difference is night and day. If you get an IMAc now, it'll have the new operating system, Leopard, which is great.

I'd avoid all PCS as a rule from now on,Dell in particular.

Posted by: jane tarzan ()
Date: November 20, 2007 09:38

Once you go Mac, you won't go back. That's it, period. Forget the pc crap and enter the world of COMPUTERS.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: November 20, 2007 12:10

I have an iMac, my mother has an iMac, my girlfriend has a MacBook.
Been using Macs for the last 15 years and they are very easy to use, have all the software you may need.
Now with the Intel processors and Mac OS X Leopard you can also install Windows if you want to run Windows native applications.
Macs are a bit more expensive compared to PC clones, but they save you the trouble of looking for peripheral drives and tedious installation preferences.
Go for it, you will never regret it.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 20, 2007 12:11

I don't get it.

I've been using both, I don't see all this difference.

Macs looks good, and work fine but my dell (yes, I have an old dell) is not bad either.

What I see is that it is easier to customize the software on a PC, there is more offer of freeware stuff and hardware to add new possibilities.

True that 90% of the viruses are addressed to windows software, but you don't have to use it. Right now, the only program that I have paid for on my PC is windows XP. All the rest (internet, email, antivirus, firewall, etc. is excellent opensource freeware).

Are good looks worth 800USD more?

C

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 20, 2007 12:39

Ha, nice comparison STG - driving a car with standard or automatic gear-box.
but BMW and Pinto - that's apples & oranges. not true.

I started out on mac, but gone a long way on pc.
if the gear box is damaged, I like to fix it myself, automatic has to go to the repair shop.

If you do have to go the Windows route (price wise) - avoid Vista at all cost.
XP is still around and getting Service Pack 3 soon.
it also works fine.

hmm, guess I'll be quite lonely one on a mac thread, lol.

Date: November 20, 2007 12:41

ah, good call, Liddas.
now I don't feel so alone.

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: November 20, 2007 12:44

I would recommed a Mac.Windows is really a mess in anyway.

Date: November 20, 2007 13:05

liddas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I see is that it is easier to customize the
> software on a PC, there is more offer of freeware
> stuff and hardware to add new possibilities.

It all depends what kind of usage you make of your computer.
If you need to browse the internet, work with Office, use main apps like Adobe CS and things like this, a Mac saves you a lot of trouble.
Of course, if you are a customization geek a pc will be a lot of fun and a lot of trouble.
I don't think a high-end Dell costs that mauch less of an iMac, remember you have to add a 24" flat screen monitor

> Are good looks worth 800USD more?
It's not only about good looks that you pay more, it's about a machine built for its OS or the other way round, in any case:

[www.apple.com]

Date: November 20, 2007 13:14

Looks like overwhelming opinion here is for the Mac.

I suppose my next question: is there anything a PC can do that a Mac cannot?

STG, you slowly ease off the clutch while simultaneously
giving it the gas, all the while making sure no people
or animals are in the near vicinity!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 20, 2007 13:20

I use a G5 Imac with CS3.

Simply the finest piece of kit ever!!

Simple to use, stunning looks and can be transported anywhere.

Highly recommended

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 20, 2007 13:26

Edith Grove Wrote:

> I suppose my next question: is there anything a PC
> can do that a Mac cannot?
>

I would turn it the other way round, is there anything (ordinary) that a Mac can do that a PC can't?

C

Date: November 20, 2007 13:39

Another (off beat) reason to go Mac - Bill Gates is an A - Hole IMHO, here's why:

The Richest man in the world went to the US Congress last year asking for unlimited H - 1B Visa's (allows workers from other countries to come work in America because "The American worker isn't up to the task") so he can bring in a lot of workers from India (no offense to India - love the place, have been there numerous times - plan to go again soon).

Surprisingly, the US Government said "no can do" (they usually take the Prostitution route so I found it kind of a slightly shocking surprise)

So, Billy cut a deal with the Canadian Gov to get all the foreign workers he needs and is now moving part of Microsoft up to the Vancouver area from Seattle. Once again the Middle and Upper Middle class in the US takes another hit to outsourcing cause "the richet man in the world isn't rich enough". Less taxes paid when less Americans have jobs. Always thought Bill Gates was a creepy dude - now I know he's a creepy dude....(no offense to Canada, love Canada)(no offense to most creepy dudes - live and let live I say)

Just some "Food For Thought"........

Date: November 20, 2007 13:45

liddas Wrote:
> Edith Grove Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I suppose my next question: is there anything a
> PC
> > can do that a Mac cannot?
> >
>
> I would turn it the other way round, is there
> anything (ordinary) that a Mac can do that a PC
> can't?
>
> Make your life easier AND get MS out of your life.....

Date: November 20, 2007 13:58

Maybe this can help ya to decide... ;p

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 20, 2007 14:07

Edith Grove Wrote: STG, you slowly ease off the clutch while simultaneously giving it the gas, all the while making sure no people or animals are in the near vicinity!

... I see your lips moving... What? WHAT?

Date: November 20, 2007 14:17

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Another (off beat) reason to go Mac - Bill Gates
> is an A - Hole IMHO, here's why.......

> Just some "Food For Thought"........

For a political correct OS you could give Linux a try.
Mac ain't no virgin either.

Date: November 20, 2007 15:17

open-g Wrote:
> Maybe this can help ya to decide... ;p
>

Maybe these could help:

Date: November 20, 2007 15:26

open-g, The first one (with the babe) was funny but since she's big on PC's I'd have here checked out for viruses and infections at her Gyno first - bahahahahahahahahaha (nice rack she has BTW)

Second one didn't fly cause EVERYTHING (almost, except for domestically eaten burgers) are made in China. But Billy's going a step further by trading US jobs for Canadian/India jobs so he can profit even more. As Bud asked Gordon Gecko in WALL STREET "How many yachts do you need to water ski behind?!" (something like that). Since Gates is too big of a Dork to Waterski I would just tell him to check that "Greed Meter" he keeps up his ass once in a while and keep it packed with fresh batteries at all times....Dudes creepy, you gotta admit......

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: November 20, 2007 15:31

Is there anything a PC can do a Mac can't:

Crashing basiccaly

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home