Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Wembley 9/8/73 1st show SODD version??
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 17, 2008 20:09

Not the same guy I'm afraid Wolfgang. Sorry.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 21:13

I'm so glad people are talking about those Frankfurt shows. Another essential recording from '73 IMO. It's an extraordinary recording. The band sounds like it is playing in black and white and Taylor's guitar is in technicolor. I'd like to know taper information about that recording as well. Has the SFM video been posted before? I do not know how to do it. That video is...compelling.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: January 18, 2008 03:36

Silver Dagger
Really interesting reading all your comments about the Sept 8th early show. It's actually my tape.

(snip)
I just saw this thread. I'm glad your tape finally started circulating. It's quite well done. Not as good as the radio broadcasts, but far better than most of the '73 audience recordings. A must have, I think.

Anyway, I was wondering if you know about the similar recording of the second show Sep. 8, 1973, which turned up a few months after the concert on the LP "Live in London" on Forbidden Fruit Productions. It's also very well done. Any connection? The complete tapes that circulate are far inferior; been copied too many times.

Date: January 18, 2008 12:36

I bought the Stones - Live In London 73 vinyl in about 74. It has a purple cover and is pretty muddy in sound quality and not the full show. Not sure if it is that one you are talking about. I haven't got it to hand so can't remember which date it was. Don't know who taped that one.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:27

The LP "Live in London" on Forbidden Fruit Productions contains part of the 2nd show from Sep. 8, 1973. The soundquality in indeed very enjoyable. It is currently seeded on Dime.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 18, 2008 17:05

So to clear some confusion, the Devil's Breath CD is a DAC release and the Dragon's Breath (Silver Dagger source tape) is the new SODD release?

How does one know the correct speed for these tapes when refering to speed issues? Is it something your judging by your ears or a digital reading?

Date: January 18, 2008 17:30

The Sicilian
So to clear some confusion, the Devil's Breath CD is a DAC release and the Dragon's Breath (Silver Dagger source tape) is the new SODD release?

How does one know the correct speed for these tapes when refering to speed issues? Is it something your judging by your ears or a digital reading?

As far as I know Devil's Breath is the label that released the source tape. Haven't heard the DAC release but I imagine they put out a speedcorrected version of the Devil's Breath release (in other words an improved rip off). The SODD release enhances the sound (of the Devil's Breath release?) with compression making it a totally useless remaster/reissue IMHO.

I assume Dragon's Breath is just a misnaming of the Devil's Breath label?

(my observations are based on the info that came with torrent of this show, I have no originals of any of the titles mentioned)

I depend on my ears to find the correct speed (concert pitch) by playing along with a tuned guitar.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 18, 2008 17:49

Britney
I assume Dragon's Breath is just a misnaming of the Devil's Breath label?

Quite definitely Silver Dagger meant Devils Breath. I wrongly refer to that label as Devils Disciple...it's tricky to remember "Devils Breath"
I have both DB and DAC, but have learned not to waste time or money on SODD....not a Megabite either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 18:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 18, 2008 17:57

Just to make sure none of you will ever forget the correct name of the label:

[www.urbandictionary.com]

Date: January 18, 2008 18:04

Won't forget that one...

Date: January 18, 2008 18:06

Britney
Just to make sure none of you will ever forget the correct name of the label

I'll pass on that defination. However, the hottie in the blue tee-shirt just below has really caught my attention. Those puppies are awesome!!!

Back to the topic, what is the DAC release's title and number?

Date: January 18, 2008 18:16

Nasty Songs DAC 065

Date: January 18, 2008 18:39

Sorry for the confusion guys. Erik is right. I meant Devil's Breath. Must have been that Vindaloo curry I had earlier in the evening that prompted the mis-naming.

Date: January 18, 2008 18:46

Silver Dagger,

What other tapes do you have lurking in that cupboard with the old teabags?

Or, are any other released boots your original source tapes?

Date: January 18, 2008 19:06

The bonusdisc on the SODD release contains the London september 9th show and sounds better than the VGP release Nasty Muzik (only silver disk release from that show I know off). SODD used the tapesource that circulates in collector's/torrent circles and enhanced the sound by tweaking the high frequencies (again no improvement whatsoever).

Date: January 18, 2008 19:16

That's it for The Stones I'm afraid.

I taped Knebworth 76 but that has come out already in better quality than my old tape.

There's a nice Floyd from Wembley 74 on the way which betters what is out there.
Working on cleaning up tapes of Zappa, Capt Beefheart, more early 70s Floyd, perhaps some Bad Company.

Date: January 18, 2008 21:03

Has Pink Floyd ever played "Fearless" live if anyone knows?

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 18, 2008 21:09

Isn't this the Sister Morphine "Belladonna On A Toussaint Night" show as well?

What about the Halcyon version? They usually get things right.

J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 21:22 by JMARKO.

Date: January 18, 2008 21:51

JMARKO
Isn't this the Sister Morphine "Belladonna On A Toussaint Night" show as well?

What about the Halcyon version? They usually get things right.

J
Yep, Belladonna is the same show (but incomplete and not from the mastertape). The Halcyon version is stereo and runs at the correct speed, and probably some EQ adjustment. Good effort indeed.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: January 20, 2008 04:53

Britney
The bonusdisc on the SODD release contains the London september 9th show and sounds better than the VGP release Nasty Muzik (only silver disk release from that show I know off). SODD used the tapesource that circulates in collector's/torrent circles and enhanced the sound by tweaking the high frequencies (again no improvement whatsoever).
I disagree. The VGP "Nasty Muzik" source of 9/9/73, as bad as it is, is definitely better than whatever SODD used. Their version is very tinny. The only thing it has going for it is that it's longer; has the introduction and end of SFM which VGP's doesn't have.

The SODD version of 9/8/73 1st show is a compressed/hard-limited (to sound louder) version of the pitch-corrected Devil's Breath release available here for those of you on Dime: [www.dimeadozen.org]. Unfortunately no seeders at the moment.

Date: January 29, 2008 15:11

Latest update concerning the comparison of the diferent version of this show (Wembley 9/8/73 1st show):

The DAC 073 version turns out to be a mono version running at the correct speed.

So the winner is the Halcyon version (original stereo source, correct speed and no excessive tweaking).

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:03

Britney

So the winner is the Halcyon version (original stereo source, correct speed and no excessive tweaking).

Of course, the only version that hasn't been torrented the last half year or so... ;-)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: tomcat 6 ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:13

I thought the Halcyon version has the cut in GS ?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:17

yeah, Halcyon has the cut in GS. so things aint easy! seems that nobody did it right until now. but were talkin about an audience tape anyways, and thats not something a lot of people devote repeated listenings to. performance is good, but if I want to listen to Stones 1973, theres other stuff I prefer. I tend to limit myself to only a handful, sometimes only one or two shows per tour, and the others are just there to fill my racks. theres just so much good music out there (not only Stones!!!) that I most certainly will never again listen to 5 Licks shows in a row!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-29 16:21 by alimente.

Date: January 29, 2008 17:37

alimente
yeah, Halcyon has the cut in GS. so things aint easy! seems that nobody did it right until now. but were talkin about an audience tape anyways, and thats not something a lot of people devote repeated listenings to. performance is good, but if I want to listen to Stones 1973, theres other stuff I prefer. I tend to limit myself to only a handful, sometimes only one or two shows per tour, and the others are just there to fill my racks. theres just so much good music out there (not only Stones!!!) that I most certainly will never again listen to 5 Licks shows in a row!

? My copy of the Halcyon version has no cut in GS. This particular audiencerecording has had quite a few spins here, and not only for the sake of comparison.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 31, 2008 11:35

(Error! Message voluntarily deleted)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 11:57 by Greenblues.

Date: February 1, 2008 22:25

Britney
Latest update concerning the comparison of the diferent version of this show (Wembley 9/8/73 1st show):

The DAC 073 version turns out to be a mono version running at the correct speed.

I've just compared Nasty Songs and the speed corrected version of Devils Breath from Dime again. Never had the CDR and the DAC release with me at the same time...untill now. And I must take back my comments that they are "just as good". They used a bit too much EQ at DAC, making for instance the sax at Gimme Shelter intro - a headache. It's no big disaster though...but DB is the best of the 2. ALso a lot better than SODD of course.
Concerning stereo/mono.... I don't know, it's not really "stereo", it's just a slightly different quality of the channels - I didn't even notice that DAC doubled one of the channels.

Haven't heard the Halcyon version, but did you mean that it's better than the speed corrected Devils Breath ?

Date: February 2, 2008 02:44

Erik_Snow
Concerning stereo/mono.... I don't know, it's not really "stereo", it's just a slightly different quality of the channels - I didn't even notice that DAC doubled one of the channels.

Haven't heard the Halcyon version, but did you mean that it's better than the speed corrected Devils Breath ?

The taper, Silver Dagger, clearly stated he used stereoequipment for the recording. Of course audiencerecordings never feature 'true' stereo seperation of instruments.

Since the Devil's Breath release appears to be the mother of al 'upgrades' we can assume it's the 'purest' version. If one should apply proper speed correction to the Devil's Breath release it would probably end up sounding very much like the Halcyon version.

Date: February 2, 2008 11:36

Yea Britney, that's very likely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-03 21:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 3, 2008 20:57

I just checked my collection of '73 shows and I was shocked to discover that I don't have it! Could anyone point me to where I could find it? I would be most grateful!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home