Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot: Good news about the recovery in New Orleans
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 11, 2007 17:55

Now if we can only get the Stones to come back!

[www.cnn.com]

Re: ot: Good news about the recovery in New Orleans
Date: November 11, 2007 19:24

i love the streetcars in new orleans like i love my family. i used to ride it everyday to get my car from my girlfriend who would drive to work in the morning on magazine street. i hope some of the old conductors are back-real characters. i really just hope its the same as so much of the real new orleans is now gone. please tell me the camelia grill has reopened. i know about 8 months after the flood it was still closed. one of my favorite places. i did some photography for one of the servers there who was embarking on an acting career..im coming to NO for new years for about a week, we should get a frosty beverage at some point or at least just say hello at some point. glad yo like the shirt...me

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 11, 2007 19:28

yeah the stones really should go to new orleans.....love to hear that the city is getting better

Date: November 11, 2007 21:08

More good news, coocoo, and anyone else coming to N.O.
The Camellia Grill is open for business!

[www.bloggingneworleans.com]

And yeah, coocoo, we should get together one evening while you're in town.
Send me an e-mail when you know what your plans are.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 12, 2007 01:00

Very happy to hear the news of Camellia Grill. I put off visiting New Orleans for years; when I finally arrived there it was instant love. I drove the entire state on one of my numerous trips. Love the people, the great museum, the Pontalba Apartments, everything. So for real. Would love to see the Stones there.

Wish the band would do a major benefit for the 9th ward and quietly visit the area that Bush and his cronies apparently wanted to disappear. True Jimi Hendrix fans know that he grew up in poverty in Seattle with a distinct lack of love and care.

Last year, I used to watch the tragedies unfolding in the 9th Ward after the hurricane on TV news. The faces haunted me -- the flooding, the drowning, the poverty. I would think about the needless deaths of the children there: "And so another potential Jimi Hendrix was left to die today."

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 12, 2007 01:59

I love New Orleans. I have attended the Jazz Festival many times. But lets be honest New Orleans is about the French Quarter and that remained intact. Nobody cared much about the surrounding city especially the 9th ward.

But most big cities have the same problem all over the States. Major cities are surrounded by poor, neglected neighborhoods (mainly black residents) and most white people don't want nothing to do with them because of the high crime, murder, and blight. Hence white flight and the suburbs.

Edith, I'm not being sarcastic here but a realist. It's the same thing all over especially in my city.

By the way how is Fats Domino doing? I hear they are raising money to rebuild for him. I saw Fats and Ray Charles the same day at the Jazz Fest one year.

Date: November 12, 2007 03:23

The Sicilian Wrote:

> By the way how is Fats Domino doing? I hear they
> are raising money to rebuild for him. I saw Fats
> and Ray Charles the same day at the Jazz Fest one
> year.

Check this out, Sicilian:

[www.tipitinasfoundation.org]

Fats was in NYC this weekend to promote the CD.
He was scheduled for Letterman on Thursday with Norah Jones,
but the writer's strike sunk that.
I put a couple of more links for Fats on HelterSkelter's
thread about the writer's strike.

Give me a holler when you make it down this way again!

Date: November 13, 2007 05:00

OK, get this!

I was told today that Fats Domino appeared on the
cover of October's "New Orleans" magazine. Being the
slacker that I am, I missed it.

So I rushed over to my local newsstand and asked
the 20-something clerk for the mag.
He gives me the Nov. issue and I ask if he has
last month's with Fats Domino on the cover.

He replies "I don't even know who that is!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home