Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: A new Keith richards album?
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 9, 2007 12:34

Wandering Spirit really is a good album.

But Keiths first is great.

I wouldn't expect anything soon, I think Keiths priority is the Stones and he's just finished a very lengthy tour.

I'd rather both the Glimmers would use their best songs for the stones rather than solo.

Can you imagine how good Voodoo lounge would have been if the stones would have used both Keiths and Jaggers solo efforts...... hate it when you leave, evening gown etc.....

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 9, 2007 14:07

I don't see Keith writing much. Look at the last decade.

sc uk

Posted by: crazymama ()
Date: October 9, 2007 14:20

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wandering Spirit really is a good album.
>
> But Keiths first is great.
>
> I wouldn't expect anything soon, I think Keiths
> priority is the Stones and he's just finished a
> very lengthy tour.
>
> I'd rather both the Glimmers would use their best
> songs for the stones rather than solo.
>
> Can you imagine how good Voodoo lounge would have
> been if the stones would have used both Keiths and
> Jaggers solo efforts...... hate it when you leave,
> evening gown etc.....

That's exactly what I thought, as I watched the new Mick Jagger-DVD last week. Some of the songs (Evening gown, Sweet thing) would have been great, if they were on a Stones-album. Better than Mick solo.

Posted by: yapyap#3 ()
Date: October 9, 2007 14:52

Havo Wrote:
> ok-- we all know--that keith had some promblems
> --maybe wodka-light
> 2003--oberhausen--???
>
> Sorry --it is nowadays--mick jagger for most of
> the 40.000 from 45000 --is--are THe Rollimg
> Stones!

That damn wodka-light will get ya every time.......

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 9, 2007 14:56

Keith was working on a solo album after the Voodoo Lounge Tour. But in the middle of the work he put it together with Micks Work and they decided to make BTB, that´s what I´ve read in an Mick Interview about BTB, way back in 97

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 9, 2007 15:13

Sssoul,
Is that Rainforest benefit concert available on CD??

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 9, 2007 15:14

straycatuk Wrote:
> I don't see Keith writing much. Look at the last
> decade.

I dont know if anyone but himself can state he hasnt been writing.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 9, 2007 15:19

>> Is that Rainforest benefit concert available on CD?? <<

not as an official release, but yeah it's in circulation.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: October 9, 2007 15:30

I think the main point is that Keith has nothing to prove to anyone!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 9, 2007 16:02

Keith's main issue with solo work has historically been his belief that folks expect different things from him than they would likely get.
His natural gift for both writing and interperating country and Jazz tinged ballads was not what he percieved his market to want.
I'd hope that he now sees more folks appreciating that side of him... and that he can happily make the music he wants to make. If he does, Keith can go on making great music for years to come.

[...and he can still fcukin' rock too. Just needs to re-charge the batteries and get himself fit again]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-09 16:09 by Spud.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 9, 2007 16:08

OK, while keith certainly isnt into the direction the stones are moving at the moment, theyre his band. To abandon them, as jagger forced him to do before is seen as a personal failure by keith. While the stones remain viable I am doubtful keith will release anything new.

Mick always wanted to be a solo star- he gets to play at that every 10 years its harmless (btw I like SOME of jaggers solo work).

OLDKR

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 9, 2007 16:15

I agree with that 100%. Keith will always put the band first. Professionally it's his sun and moon.
That's why there's a small part of me wishes that maybe the Stones had wound down in recent years. It might have left room for Keith to do some work of his own whilst the vitality was still there... and there's still time for that!

[The biggest part of me is glad they didn't...because the buzz is as great as ever and the shows, whilst different, just as special]

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 9, 2007 16:51

I just wish he would open his vaults and release the stuff he's been accumulating forever-- the reggae stuff he recrded with Peter Tosh's band (supposedly an albums worth), his solo piano country stuff,he's a great boogie-woogie piano player and he's recorded some of that, etc---

he wouldnt have to give up his drinking or cigs--just release the stuff---

look at Woody-- he's releasing all kinds of cool stuff !

Re: Keith Richards
Date: October 9, 2007 16:57

sssoul's list looks impressing, but if you look only at his studio work (and omotting rerecording of Stones stuff) it's quite revealing, compared to the output of Mick Jagger: it's exactly 12 songs, plus that 7 Marsha Hansen songs. And there is NO writing credit to Keith Richards. It's really not much:

> 1998 May: recording for Charlie Watts / Jim Keltner Project:
> - The Elvin Suite (CW/Keltner/Chaplin) - KR on guitar
>
> 2000 April: recording for Hubert Sumlin CD About Them Shoes
> - Still a Fool (Morganfield) - KR on lead vocals & guitar
> - I Love the Life I Live (Dixon) - KR on backing vocals & guitar
> - Little Girl, This Is the End (Sumlin) - KR on backing vocals & guitar
>
> 2000 22nd-23rd July: recording for Ronnie Spector CD The Last of the Rock Stars
> - All I Want (Rigby) - KR on guitar
> - It's Gonna Work Out Fine (Turner/Seneca/Lee) - KR on vocals & guitar
>
> 2001 May: recording for CD Timeless (tribute to Hank Williams)
> - You Win Again (Hank Williams) - KR on lead vocals & guitar
>
> 2001: recording for Peter Wolf CD Sleepless
> - Too Close Together (Williamson) - KR on vocals & guitar
>
> 2002 15th January: Ivan Neville CD Saturday Morning Music
> - Silence Is Better (Neville) - KR on backing vocals & guitar
>
> 2002 October: recording for Jerry Lee Lewis CD Last Man Standing
> - That Kind of Fool (Vickery) - KR on vocals & guitar
>
> 2003 May: recording for Toots & the Maytals CD True Love:
> - Careless Ethiopians (Hibbert) - KR on vocals & guitar
>
> 2004: recording for Les Paul CD American Made World Played
> - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl (Williamson) - KR on guitar
>
> 2005 27th September: Buddy Guy CD Bring 'Em In (don't know the recording date, sorry)
> - The Price You Gotta Pay (Keb' Mo) - KR on guitar
>
> 2006 23rd May: Marsha Hansen book with accompanying CD
> with KR on guitar on:
> - This Little Light of Mine (traditional)
> - Been in the Storm So Long (traditional)
> - Hush Hush (traditional)
> - Stan' Still Jordan (traditional)
> - I Want Jesus to Talk With Me (traditional)
> - Rock in Jerusalem (traditional)
> - I Got a Robe (traditional)

I think there won't be another "real" Keith Richards album, ever. Neither solo nor with the Stones. Frankly speaking I think Keith Richards has "lost it". His own creativity seems to have gone, he stepped back into second row, being an instrumentalist only, but no more a writer. He showed it with "Losing my touch" (crap) and his relative non-existence on "A bigger bang". There are various reasons: the no more existing Glimmer Twin-relationship, his arthritis, being 40 years on the road, too much drugs in his younger years, too much alcohol in his later years - the man can barely speak these days, a caricature from his former self. Better don't listen when he talks. However, his life seems to be consequent, he started as a choir boy, nowadays he's recording "Rock in Jerusalem" and "I want Jesus to talk with me". But at least he's got grandezza enough to abstain from releasing some worthless stuff from the basement.

Date: October 9, 2007 16:59

Since when had Keith Richards hardly been able to speak recently?

Tosh.....

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 9, 2007 17:03

I believe Keith has been disappointed with the sales of the Wingless Angels CD and the way it affected his relationships with the some of Angels who felt they were not paid enough. That's probably why Keith never released a Volume Two.

In one of Keith's bios it is also mentionned that when Keith reunited with some of the Winos in Jamaica (after B2B, I think), it didn't really work out.

So maybe he thinks that releasing stuff will only mean more trouble for him - and ruin relationships with musician friends because of money or credits matters.

I have heard and read many reports from such musicians stating that they spent a few days at Keith's, recording all the time, all kinds of music, and leaving his place with ten CDs... The Marsha Hansen stuff and the Hank Williams may be the result of such sessions...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 9, 2007 17:07

Well, I'd surely appreciate a 3rd solo album from Keith, especially if it's an album of his self-penned reggae tunes.

And should he choose to record an album of jazz/country tinged songs, please invite Bill Wyman to play the bass, because he's a "Rhythm King" no less. Thanks for considering.

Date: October 9, 2007 17:10

First, there's a difference between chatting and speaking. But often it's so hard to even understand what the guy's gargling that I'm happy there are some interviews with him where I can read waht he had to say. Not many of them anymore anyway.

Date: October 9, 2007 17:12

Where? Biggest bang, You tube? I can't recall one that he's not lucid on?

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 9, 2007 17:12

oldkr Wrote:
> OK, while keith certainly isnt into the direction
> the stones are moving at the moment,

Please elaborate, what the H does this mean?

Posted by: Star ()
Date: October 9, 2007 17:21

He seemed fine at 02 recently to me - put on a fantastic show with the rest of the band so I dunno what youre talkin about man...

"till the next time..."

Date: October 9, 2007 17:22

FUC Captain, you overdid the editing of that list, even if there is a reason (which i don't see)
to eliminate performances and jazz reworkings of Stones numbers. i understand that you're determined
to dismiss what Keith's chosen to release in the last ten years, but even so a recount is in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-10 10:25 by with sssoul.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 9, 2007 17:25

gwen Wrote:
> I believe Keith has been disappointed with the
> sales of the Wingless Angels CD and the way it
> affected his relationships with the some of Angels
> who felt they were not paid enough. That's
> probably why Keith never released a Volume Two.

I have the cd and even with the HDCD encoding providing a nice sound, it is boring

Date: October 9, 2007 17:40

>> In one of Keith's bios it is also mentioned that when Keith reunited with some of the Winos in Jamaica <<

Gwen, do you mean Kris Needs' book by any chance? i remember being 100% confused by that part,
and prolonged head-scratching led me to suspect that Needs got the Winos and the Wingless Angels mixed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-09 17:42 by with sssoul.

Date: October 9, 2007 17:46

with sssoul Wrote:
> FUC Captain, you overdid the editing of that list, even if there is a reason (which i don't see)
> to eliminate performances of Stones numbers. i understand that you're determined
> to dismiss what Keith's chosen to release in the last ten years, but even so a recount is in order.

Well I said I was showing only "studio work (and omitting rerecording of Stones stuff)" because I don't think it doesn't show much creativity if you're rerecording your old stuff, in whatever context. But the main point remains that NONE of the songs he recorded was newly written or even co-written by him.

Btw: I didnt "dismiss" what he chose to release. "Little girl, this is the end" and "Careless Ethiopians" are great songs, for example. I just think playing on 12 studio songs (plus maybe 20 Stones songs) in 10 years is NOT a sign of ultralarge creativity. No - when compared to the good years it's a clear sign of degeneration. Especially if you agree that at the least the Stones songs haven't really become BETTER in the last 30 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-09 17:55 by F.U.C. the Captain.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 9, 2007 18:04

with sssoul Wrote:
> Gwen, do you mean Kris Needs' book by any chance?

Exactly. And I don't think he got mixed up because some of the Angels were already dead when the B2B tour ended. And Keith doesn't need to record them again, he still has an album's worth of Wingless Angels material.

Date: October 9, 2007 18:10

>> I don't think it doesn't show much creativity if ... <<

... you've heard the Rolling Stones Project, right? nah, never mind - it "doesn't count" because it doesn't.

but anyway: right, what Keith's chosen to release in the last 10 years is Stones stuff
(which we plainly have different opinions of) and contributions to other artists' albums,
rather than his own independent stuff. that intrigues me.
since it doesn't intrigue you ... good health to you, you know? :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-09 18:13 by with sssoul.

Date: October 9, 2007 18:15

>> And I don't think he got mixed up because some of the Angels were already dead <<

right, and (at least in my edition of Needs' book) he states that someone in the Winos had died.
that's the main thing that led me to suspect he was mixing up his Ws.

Date: October 9, 2007 18:19

with sssoul Wrote:
> ... you've heard the Rolling Stones Project, right? nah, never mind - it "doesn't count"
> because it doesn't.

No, it doesnt count because its no better than the Aranbee Pop Orchestra. Two letters: BS.

> but anyway: right, what Keith's chosen to release in the last 10 years is Stones stuff
> and contributions to other artist's albums, rather than his own independent stuff.
> that intrigues me. since it doesn't intrigue you ... good health to you, you know? :E

32 songs in 10 years is just not enough, babe. It won't count as a "creative pause" anymore. This behaviour is not unusual for a man of his age. It just shows he's essentially finished. Only he's still twitching sometimes. The reflexes, you know.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 9, 2007 18:24

Keith has a pretty much constant stream of musicians in his house. Before my friend jeff sarli died he promised me tapes of the stuff keith and him and a bunch of other guys recorded- I don't much want to bug his widow for them though!

Keith can do whatever the @#$%& he wants. He doesn't owe anyone another single song, let alone album as long as he lives. Thats not hero worship, thats realizing he's an old guy who is quite content with what he's achieved this far and doesn't see any reason to try to one-up it. He's also happy to be seen as someone who other people want to work with the "old master" thing. That doesn't go to say theres any sort of "legacy" he's protecting. Just that he's happy with what he's done and is looking in other directions. He's always looked in other directions. Exile on main street is that feeling personified if anyone wants to argue the point.

OLDKR

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home