Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Springsteen opens tour w/ new stuff
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 3, 2007 12:52

OT: Springsteen opens tour w/ new stuff & patti gets a song--(update) Charts @ #1 new

This review/article (this link below) i found giving a sort of general review, (it's reuters after all; neither hip nor necessary accurate, even in hard news reporting, so not too specific on actual entire set list or deeply observant review bout dynamics of players and crowd, sigh, but some really good general points i thought...hopefully someone here will enjoy:
[www.reuters.com]

I especially think it's cool that the whole outfit did one of patti's songs, as her debut 'rumble doll' is a perennial. It's really yet to be discovered and acknowled for it's true greatness and it's years and years old now.

It's a double edged sword having a connction with a husband who's a legend. on one her hand, no prob getting a major deal with columbia records, a great budget and e streeter genius roy bittan as producer; some promo money for sure to finance all this...and hire a band etc...

on the other hand she's always "bruce's wife" to the general public and radio programmers, but she's actually a real rocker in her own right, and some of the lyrics and arrangements and vocal deliveries on 'rumble doll' (her deubt) are so totally authentic and sensitive and strong, with a natural sense of graceful poetry; none of it sounds forced.

she's a deep soul and a great writer, and that's the other side of the double edged sword; she never get's taken very seriously for her work.

then again, she's married, has two or three kids, an active and close relationsip with her husband personally and professionally and about infinity zillion bux, so she never really sweated a real tour;

she did letterman in ny; maybe another talk/variety show out west...a showcase at the myc roxy (i think) that was recorded with a home team and home town crowd; and that was pretty much it for promo i think (with both her first and second records);

could be wrong but think that's about what happened....not touring?? well, it aint't for me to blame her for; but i woulda wanted to see that work out live....in some small theatre...it's intense shit. and lovely. and edgy.

just saying she didn't "Work" the record beyond that, and i think radio just ignored it for some sick reason.

her second album didn't move me as much; but the first editions included a bonus cd of four live tracks from one of these showcases, and one of the numbers was from 'rumble doll' and the singing and performance was truly outstanding, it was taking a bit of natural nyc informed Ronnettes kinda thing but morphing it into very powerful personal songs...and it rocked. beautiful sounds and visions from bittan but it definetly rocks out....the whole thing really electric. she totally has the stuff without hubby imo.

she has a third lp coming out, or just out that i've heard nothin' from, but how cool she get's a song in the setlist. was a little surprised.

also interesting that her release will be, or was, is, (i theenk) so close to the release of her band's new thing as an e streeter on tour.

i'll be embarrased for offering this thread if her new stuff sux, haa, but good for them for coming out firing with a lot of new songs, including the opening number!! and good for patti get a song.

If you ever get a chance to get to some tracks from rumble doll; i think you'd be enjoy it. the title track is a good place to start...she's precious. and she gets deep and flows very purely on from there.

jest an opinon, thanks for sloughing thru this longass theeng me droogies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-11 15:28 by bv.

Re: OT: Springsteen opens tour w/ new stuff & patti gets a song
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 15:55

I was so excited when I read the reviews of Magic comparing it as a cross between The Rising and Tunnel of Love, my 2 favorite Bruce albums, and couldn't wait to buy my tix next year to see him in NJ again. I should have known better than to believe the critics. I am thoroughly disappointed with the album after 2 listens. There's only 1 decent song on there, and there is no way in hell I'll be goin to see him on this tour to listen to this thing played live - I'll just fall asleep. If this is the last album with the E Street in addition to it being the last tour, then they are really ending on a low note. Big letdown here.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: October 3, 2007 16:32

Got some poor reviews.

Patti got a song? How nice...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 3, 2007 16:35

Beely, didn't she sing "Rumble Doll" in the middle of "10th Avenue Freeze-Out" on the last E-Street tour (during introductions)?

If so, it's on the "live" CD's from New York. Cool song.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: October 3, 2007 17:24

This is the set list:

Radio Nowhere
The Ties That Bind
Lonesome Day
Gypsy Biker
Magic
Reason to Believe
Night
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
The Promised Land
Town Called Heartbreak
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Darlington County
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands
Girls in Their Summer Clothes
Thundercrack
Born to Run
Waitin' on a Sunny Day

It's pretty great in my opinion and I love it haw it has 8 new songs (9 if you count Patti's song). It's a fresh set list. It's just a shame that Something In The Night is not there, they played it on the first rehearsal night and I was very excited about it. They rarely play that one and it's one of my favorites. Reports say that Gypsy Biker is quite the rocker with solos from both Bruce and Little Steven.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 3, 2007 17:27

Patti's last two albums were produced by...Steve Jordan ! He also plays drums and percussion on them--- she's also siging backup on Dirty Work, right ?

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 3, 2007 17:34

I vowed, after thirty some years of support, to never put another dime into the Bosses pocket. That said, I've had the leaked download of "Magic" for almost a month and I find it entirely unremarkable. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Spend your $10 on the new one from The Cult instead. You'll enjoy it a helluva lot more.

Date: October 3, 2007 17:36

I'm waitin for my copy of Born Into This Deluxe to arrive from Amazon! Would love to catch them live - have been a huge fan for years.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 3, 2007 17:39

"Spend your $10 on the new one from The Cult instead. You'll enjoy it a helluva lot more."

Is it worth getting??

As good as Electric?

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: October 3, 2007 17:40

aslecs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got some poor reviews.
>
> Patti got a song? How nice...

Patti got a song - Oh sh*t. Glad I didn't get a ticket for the O2 now.

Most of Bruce's audience would appreciate a song from Miami Steve or Nils but not from Mrs Springsteen!

Date: October 3, 2007 17:50

ablett Wrote:
> "Spend your $10 on the new one from The Cult
> instead. You'll enjoy it a helluva lot more."
>
> Is it worth getting??
>
> As good as Electric?

It's really raw. All guitars and drums and bass and voice and RIFFS and RIFFS and RIFFS sans the big overblown, echo-laden production of recent years. It's more like LOVE than ELECTRIC actually. It is WELL worth getting. The straight issue is $10 this week at the big barns. The deluxe version sports an extra disc with three excellent b-sides and three demos of songs from the album.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: October 3, 2007 20:08

Got the new Cult yesterday. Great. Spend your bucks on that.

..and go to their show!

Date: October 3, 2007 21:20

aslecs Wrote:
> Got the new Cult yesterday. Great. Spend your
> bucks on that.
>
> ..and go to their show!

And pay special attention to the cribbed riff on "Dirty Little Rockstar."

Date: October 3, 2007 23:13

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Beely, didn't she sing "Rumble Doll" in the middle
> of "10th Avenue Freeze-Out" on the last E-Street
> tour (during introductions)?
>
> If so, it's on the "live" CD's from New York. Cool
> song.

ha, yeah she did. it was just a bit of the first verse during introduction i think, but i always got a huge kick out of that. Good eye and ear as usual Elmo.

And whoever started making this a cult thread, gee, thanks a lot.
there's so much similiarity and synchronicity between the two bands...their histories and music and all...how totally appropriate, not even close to hijacking or anything...

i admire darkness on the edge of town and about a half dozen of his studio albums very much over the years...even a performance filmed just a few years ago, (where you see the intros discussed above) and a KILLER Two Hearts ARe Better Than One...just killer...
but i'm not a fanatic about him and don't know how the band is this new time out...

i love nils since Grin, so i appreciated the comment about doing one of his songs...and steve had that one solo album, mostly political, about the time he left the e street band for his brief solo career, ('84 ish??) years before the sopranos etc...that was the tour that nils came in i think.

but aside from obviously husband/wife humorous snark; and without disrepect toward lofren or van zandt, both artists i admire...

... she is in such a hugely hugely friggin HUGELY higher category of talent as a writer than anyone else on the stage aside from bruce; bruce has done very encouraging stop-in jams with a huge variety of singer-songwriters he wanted to endore and encourage on the way up; including steve earle when steve was in asbury...(it sounds like drunken shit but hey the boss came up and screamed harmonies to 'i ain't ever satisified' and it kinda said something cool about of them together like that...texas via nashville meets south-jersey/nyc in such good spirit...
bruce KNOWS an incredible songwriter when he hears one I bet.

(haha, YES i already agree that dosen't necessarily apply to the songs of his own he picks for his own albums...
never putting 'i wanna be where the bands are' or there was one amazing one with a girl's name in the title..or at least a half dozen incredible things because of his final selection process or whatever...

and i'm not even the hugest fan of him at all; some of it seems theatrical, overwrought, some of it seems revelatory and still connected; when it all really connects...
like in that film dvd of a concert from a few years ago...it's truly amazingly transcendant for a rock show; i only saw them once live in '84 sans steve, in l.a. and it was extremely powerful...grown men cried...at the end ALL the house lights went fully ON brighter than a hockey game and everyone stood up and boogied like it was the hottest high school dance in the history of the world...ain't no one wasn't boogieing; people were rising up out of the wheel chairs and throwing away their crutches...ain't no one standin' still...

...and he has different 'voices' and 'accents' he uses sometimes in his singing styles that are not fun for me to listen to...so i understand his critics amongst my friends...i theenk...

but that guy has written some of the most brilliant stuff; often identified other up and coming great writers; has universal respect from the best other writers out there...and i think he let patti's song into that band because he wanted to do a song by a great songwriter. there's a small group of people he loves to cover...i'm sorry to overblow the signigicance of it and alla that...but his legend eclipses her brilliance as a writer, otherwise she'd be thought of as the jersey lucinda williams or something...who's had a very long battle with sexism before she finally broke thru meaningfully with car wheels...

i don't think bruce needs to do her a promotoinal 'favor' after all these decades on the road and three kids growing up fast in their house...
i think it's always been part of his tradional values to acknowledge and respect other writers. now i wonder what the heck song she did...and hope to god it's halfway good, after spouting off like this. yikes. but i'll always have 'rumble doll' to fall back on; and that debut album already proved a GREAT songwriter arriving in full flower.

Maybe a lot of other stones fans wouldn't like any of this music much; and need the more heavy stuff, but that's kinda why i put in that "OT."

unless there's some bruce/mick/keith stories out there cause i don't know about any of that...except i'm sure they've jammed together at a special event or hof thing or something...and i'm pretty sure they know each other a bit. i know bruce is a stones fan bigtime.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-03 23:19 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 3, 2007 23:21

I still dont get it...I'd rather listen to disco than Bwooose...

JR

Date: October 3, 2007 23:31

you're in luck; the spice girls are touring. sold out 02 in 37 minutes i think.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 4, 2007 00:45

Thanks for that Beelyboy!

For the past four days, I've been listening non-stop to the second rehearsal night and it is out of this world!!!!!!

Roll on Belfast and London!!!

Date: October 4, 2007 01:13

Why do you guys like Bruce? Its boring, white boy music--no soul, even the sax player plays white...????....? and I love Max on drums, when he ISN'T playing with Bruce...Can someone please explain....I thought if one liked the Stones, one COULD NOT like Springsteen...its funny, as I have never heard the Stones comment on him either way...please enlighten..

JR

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 4, 2007 01:14

stone-relics Wrote:
> I still dont get it...I'd rather listen to disco
> than Bwooose...
>
> JR

It took me many years to finally "get" Bruce, but now, at the ripe young age of 50, I can fully appreciate his music and the incredible talent of the E Street Band.

Keep trying, stone-relics. One day, when you least expect it, it just might hit you right between the eyes. For me, the songwriting talent hit me when I first watched the movie "Philadelphia", and heard that incredible song: "Streets of Philadelphia". For the entire band, it was probably the 1999 reunion tour "Live in New York City".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-04 01:16 by bassplayer617.

Date: October 4, 2007 01:20

Thanks for the though BP617...but I am done with it....it gives me a migrane...I have been drug to several of his shows, against my wishes....and they got progressively worse...the only song I like by him is Cadallac Range...just because it has a bit of back beat to it....other than that, I cant stand it...I have to leave the room screaming if someone plays Born to Run or Born in the USA....bloody sudio tan rot, if you ask me.

JR

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 4, 2007 01:22

I don't get it, but in reverse....In the 80's I loved Bruce and his music, I still listen to Born to Run, Born in USA, and Darkness (and sometimes the River) regularly, and the live stuff from that era. But for some reason, I just can't get into the stuff he's done the last 15 or so years, and I haven't really figured out why. Well, maybe I will try to give Magic a few more listens and see if things turn around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-04 01:23 by BluzDude.

Date: October 4, 2007 01:24

LOGIE Wrote:
> Thanks for that Beelyboy!
>
> For the past four days, I've been listening
> non-stop to the second rehearsal night and it is
> out of this world!!!!!!
>

Logie, you d/l that 9/25 show? Isn't it great? The new stuff fits in well with the legacy material, doesn't it? It is plainly apparent that "Magic" was written with performing that material live in mind.

Date: October 4, 2007 03:39

stone-relics Wrote:
> Thanks for the though BP617...but I am done with
> it....it gives me a migrane...I have been drug to
> several of his shows, against my wishes....and
> they got progressively worse...the only song I
> like by him is Cadallac Range...just because it
> has a bit of back beat to it....other than that, I
> cant stand it...I have to leave the room screaming
> if someone plays Born to Run or Born in the
> USA....bloody sudio tan rot, if you ask me.
>
> JR

so you're not that much of a springsteen fan i'm guessing.

you're all over his thread.

We need a thread on what's 'acceptable' outside listening for true stones fan i guess...god i was listening to brahms last night, please don't tell bv, i don't want to get banned.

Date: October 4, 2007 03:51

Hell, I listen to it all..give everything a shot...but, I'm not wasting another ear cell on Bruce...yech...its like eating beets, everybody tells me they are good for me, but they still taste like sheee-ite...so I aint eatin' 'em no more...

Good for you if you dig it, but not me.

Rock on (or not) Bruce-ee./...]

JR

Date: October 4, 2007 03:53

Beelyboy wrote:

"We need a thread on what's 'acceptable' outside listening for true stones fan i guess...god i was listening to brahms last night, please don't tell bv, i don't want to get banned."

If listening to classical music is enough to get one banned, then I belong on that list. I've started several classical threads in the past, and none of them got deleted.

Look -- we've had some slow news days, and it shows.

Date: October 4, 2007 03:57

As for YOU, stone-relics: you don't like Bruce, and now we all know it. You're entitled to your opinion, and you have expressed it.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 4, 2007 04:01

stone-relics Wrote:
> Hell, I listen to it all..give everything a
> shot...but, I'm not wasting another ear cell on
> Bruce...yech...its like eating beets, everybody
> tells me they are good for me, but they still
> taste like sheee-ite...so I aint eatin' 'em no
> more...
>
> Good for you if you dig it, but not me.
>
>
> Rock on (or not) Bruce-ee./...]
>
>
> JR

Well obviously you've got a tin ear then. Bruce is as good as they come and will run circles around the Stones in terms of fan freindliness. The new album holds up very well IMHO. Espicially Living in the Future. A real good fun rocking song....................As for Patti. After logging some quality time on Backstreets last night and reading peoples opinion's on the setlist. It seems Patti is Bruce's,Keith. In other words bathroom break song. Add that and the setlist whining, I could of sworn I was on a Stones board.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 4, 2007 19:49

For me, I think Bruce has only improved over time. His split from the E Street produced much of his best work IMO - Tunnel of Love & The Rising are my 2 favorite albums. Human Touch and Lucky Town are great. Tom Joad has its moments. Seeger Sessions is brilliant, Streets of Philadelphia...Devils & Dust was a low point for sure - sorry Gazza I know you love that one, but much like Magic it sinks me.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 4, 2007 20:48

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> I was so excited when I read the reviews of Magic
> comparing it as a cross between The Rising and
> Tunnel of Love, my 2 favorite Bruce albums, and
> couldn't wait to buy my tix next year to see him
> in NJ again. I should have known better than to
> believe the critics. I am thoroughly disappointed
> with the album after 2 listens. There's only 1
> decent song on there, and there is no way in hell
> I'll be goin to see him on this tour to listen to
> this thing played live - I'll just fall asleep.
> If this is the last album with the E Street in
> addition to it being the last tour, then they are
> really ending on a low note. Big letdown here.

My thoughts exactly. Magic has none. All hat, no rabbit.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 4, 2007 20:58

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> For me, I think Bruce has only improved over time.
> His split from the E Street produced much of his
> best work IMO - Tunnel of Love & The Rising are my
> 2 favorite albums. Human Touch and Lucky Town are
> great. Tom Joad has its moments. Seeger Sessions
> is brilliant, Streets of Philadelphia...Devils &
> Dust was a low point for sure - sorry Gazza I know
> you love that one, but much like Magic it sinks
> me.

Eh? You must be the only person who rates Human Touch/Lucky Town. They're the worst albums of his career. And the ensuing tour with The Other Band was dreadful. Mind you, this is all purely subjective. I just remember playing Human Touch and thinking "This is shite". Mind you, it does have I Wish I Were Blind On it. Sublime. Should've had Sad Eyes on it too.

Granted, he found his creative legs again with Tom Joad (and Devils), but then he reformed the E Street Band and that resulted in The Rising (so-so - better at the time than it is now) and Magic (dreadful).

I admired him for doing Seeger Sessions, but it's not one I play too often.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home