Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Too many off topic posts
Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 11, 2007 14:52

There are too many off topic posts on IORR. I will close and/or delete some of them whenever they show up. Normally there should be no more than one or two off-topic posts per page. Now it is 50% off-topic which is way too much. Thanks for your understanding.

Bjornulf

Re: Too many off topic posts
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 11, 2007 14:56

Tour is over, there's just so many topics you can discuss about what underwear Keef is wearing or what lipstick Mick prefers? No?

IMO, OT is nice reflection of the diversity of this board.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 11, 2007 14:58

I just wondered how a thread about Britney can generate 60 posts, while really interesting threads about the Stones goes by almost without any comments.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 11, 2007 15:01

Is there a limitation of space on the server? With the tour over, there are only so many things to discuss.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 11, 2007 15:07

Too many off topic posts are probably bad for the environment. Global warming and shit like that you know.
Especially them postings on Britney Spears......

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: September 11, 2007 16:00

Why not create a separate off-topic sub-forum? To save space on the server the topics there could be deleted much earlier as the ones in the "real" forum about the stones... just a suggestion^^

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 11, 2007 17:00

Hey, I thought I was on the Led Zeppelin Reunion site!

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: September 11, 2007 18:26

I think this site is great just the way it is-- there might be a lot of off-topic posts but thats what makes this such a great place--- the Stones posts are the reason everyone comes here in the first place, but its also enjoyable to read and talk about some other things too--

you guys have a terrific site here-- I wouldnt change a thing !

Posted by: thurrick ()
Date: September 11, 2007 18:44

I agree. To many posts are way OT and a load of cr*p to boot.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 11, 2007 18:51

....that's "too many," thurrick, not "to many"....if you had read our Off Topic thread yesterday about these frequently misused homonyms you probably wouldn't be making this mistake.......here's the link so you can catch up with the rest of us

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: thurrick ()
Date: September 11, 2007 20:04

Unlike some, it seems I have a life. "TO BUSY" getting s*****d yesterday, last night, this morning, in about five minutes, later tonight, tomorrow morning etc

Posted by: Berten001 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 20:08

Hmmm, I see IORR as a cozy bar: you come for the beer, but you'll stay for the atmosphere ( is this correct, Lukester? smiling smiley ) If I'm not interested in a certain topic, I just click it away, or I don't even bother to open it...Keep up the good work here!

Thomas - tables turning now, her time to cry -

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 11, 2007 20:12

I agree with Berten. Some of the OT posts are really good.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: September 11, 2007 20:49

I would miss the OTs...especially the Mayberry one. That was my favorite.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 11, 2007 20:53

We really need to get back to Mick Taylor threads.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 11, 2007 20:54

Svartmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just wondered how a thread about Britney can
> generate 60 posts, while really interesting
> threads about the Stones goes by almost without
> any comments.

Most Stones posts are repetitive and only made interesting if a certain small minority of posters actually responds.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 20:54

Well, I always understood this board to be a place where like-minded people meet to discuss this and that. Of course it should be about the Stones in the first place but there are other things in life and as long as they're about music I think it's fine. Would be a Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker post OT? I don't think so because it's the music where the boys came from. BTW I wouldn't consider Britney Spears as music. So why be so fussy and push people to other discussion places or board when they feel nice and comfy here.

That's just my opinion but as always I will knuckle down to HMV.

Date: September 11, 2007 21:03

Hey bv:

You forgot to put the "OT:" before "Too many off topic posts" in your subject line.

smiling smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 11, 2007 21:30

There is fifty percent off topic? I guess it depends on what you mean by off topic. My NFL/college football thread was certainly off topic but are threads about the Kinks and Led Zeppelin off topic? At least they are music related.

I know it is a Stones site but we are also a community of people with varied interests and you can only start a thread about the same bootleg so many times before it becomes a bore.

Maybe you should explain what you mean by off topic BV. Obviously we all know that my thread or a thread about milk are off topic but does the topic have to be directly related to The Stones or just related to music in general?

Too each his own but a good mixture of on topic and off topic threads only enhances this site imo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-11 21:37 by FrankM.

Date: September 11, 2007 21:42

I agree Frank...

For instance, this is a rolling stones fan site...and a thread about one of the band members is a related topic. However, is a thread about Keef's coconut collection or Ronnie's drinking habits on-topic? They may be a related topic but I think the true concern here is "relevency".

Many irrelevant Stones topics are posted here however the kids seem to enjoy them.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 11, 2007 21:44

I agree with you, Frank, but it's Bjornulf's site, and he can do with it what he pleases.

However, with the Stones being inactive at the moment, I don't see the need for endless rehashes of previously-mentioned Stones-related topics being repeated over and over yet one more time again ad nauseum LOL.

IF bv wants a mass exodus of regular posters due to lack of fresh Stones-related content, then I'll oblige him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-11 21:47 by bassplayer617.

Date: September 11, 2007 22:00

Hey Frank...lets stand up a web site called iorr.net

It's Only Random Rants

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: September 11, 2007 22:08

bassplayer617 Wrote:
I don't see the need for endless rehashes
> of previously-mentioned Stones-related topics
> being repeated over and over yet one more time
> again ad nauseum LOL.

I know what you are saying but, what about the newer posters \ people on here?..
and sometimes, the back catalogue of posts can be awkward to find various answers...
If a newbie posts an already mentioned question from a while ago but gets a reasonable response, he may feel part of the group and continue posting - with potentially better stuff in the future..
A lot of people can look into archives but its not as easy as asking a question to a live forum...

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 11, 2007 22:09

bv Wrote:
> There are too many off topic posts on IORR. I will
> close and/or delete some of them whenever they
> show up. Normally there should be no more than one
> or two off-topic posts per page. Now it is 50%
> off-topic which is way too much. Thanks for your
> understanding.

Never knew there were soooo many Britney fans on here.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 11, 2007 22:10

The Doughboy makes an excellent point

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 11, 2007 22:23

DoughboyUK Wrote:

>
> I know what you are saying but, what about the
> newer posters \ people on here?..
> and sometimes, the back catalogue of posts can be
> awkward to find various answers...
> If a newbie posts an already mentioned question
> from a while ago but gets a reasonable response,
> he may feel part of the group and continue posting
> - with potentially better stuff in the future..
> A lot of people can look into archives but its not
> as easy as asking a question to a live forum...

Thank you! I've often felt like an idiot when asking questions that I apparently should have read in earlier posts! There are a lot of you who is both older, and know a lot more about our beloved band than me. That's why I use this forum.... To get to know the band I love so much better.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: September 11, 2007 22:25

It's a good idea if we respect BV's wishes. It's his site. He's running it on his spare time. It's unpaid work and every time someone takes off on an off topic-string, or lets their anger and bitterness out, writing disrespectfully about other people - it just gives him a lot of extra work. Some of the most active OT-posters have even been banned from the site for such reasons, I suspect.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: September 11, 2007 22:52

hmmm, i think it would be a mistake to divide this place by OT / not OT ... who's to say sometimes which is which ... i think it would be too artificial and would stifle the blabbing ! :-)

for me it seems to work fine by just stating "OT" if you want to talk about football or whatever with other STONES FANS (which is why we're all here) ... those who are not interested can just move on to what interests them...personally I couldn't care less if people want to talk about Britney Spears, I haven't even thought to click on that thread ... but its presence doesn't bother me at all ... hey whatever !

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 11, 2007 23:29

Angel with dirty wings Wrote:
> It's a good idea if we respect BV's wishes. It's
> his site. He's running it on his spare time. It's
> unpaid work and every time someone takes off on an
> off topic-string, or lets their anger and
> bitterness out, writing disrespectfully about
> other people - it just gives him a lot of extra
> work. Some of the most active OT-posters have even
> been banned from the site for such reasons, I
> suspect.

they just came back under different names ... it's pretty hard to get rid of some people

"It wasn't my fault ... liquors drunkened me!" Homer Simpson

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: September 11, 2007 23:52

one thing that might be worth mentioning -

maybe all "OT" posts over 12months old should be deleted if its a space thing...

i mean,

there stuff like recent - pavaroti dies and zeplin to announce new tour that may be of no relevance in months to come..im only using these as examples that come imediately to mind!!

just a suggestion..

Dog

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home