Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Disappointment with Sunday's set list
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 29, 2007 04:05

noughties Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What`s so great about hearing almost the same
> setlist time after time? I don`t get it.
I gave up with the crap thaey continue to play. You think they might take a chance on something else. What nothing good from 1964, 65 or 66

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: August 29, 2007 04:40

How about the Grateful Dead often deciding what to play on the spot or some of the tunes changed at last moment. I'd think Keith, Mick & all would be tired of playing Greatest Hits package night after night. Perhaps they'll convert over to the Blues or Smaller clubs where gems,etc will be played. Of course you need warhorses to some degree but not same exact ones, in same exact order night after night. Suprised Keith didn't mix up much either. What was the surprise Keith had been working on for London? Well, still love them but have to agree capable of much more creativity. Pander to the massess I guess but after all these years they deserve to do what they'd like not have to appease greatest hits. Wonder what Micks thinking? One can only guess. His logic is all that counts after all. but What is it? Safe? feels others in the band not capable? the crowd will boo? not dance? etc. Anybody have answers to these mysteries? MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-29 05:14 by James Lynn.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 29, 2007 04:50

svendborg Wrote:
> The Stones Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I suppose BV and Dean Goodman would not agree
> with
> > that statement......
>
> Suppose they would :-)

theyre a different breed.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: August 29, 2007 05:38

Talking about BV and Disappointment, I've been very disappointed to see BV out in the streets, together with other maximum 30 fans, (included me), last July in MNAC when DB private show.
BV follows the Stones in the five continents, goes to every single show, and indirectly works for the Stones, encreasing the Stones knowladge everywere.
It was not fair to let him out, even more if those vip gorgeous blondes could accede, also some fashion, very smart and stylish people too.
The worse arrived once the show started when a woman part of the Stones crew, checked outside if we were handsome enough to could accede.
I was wearing my IORR tshirt. Probably wearing an Armani jacket, I could get in.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 29, 2007 08:10

llargueras Wrote:
> Talking about BV and Disappointment, I've been
> very disappointed to see BV out in the streets,
> together with other maximum 30 fans, (included
> me), last July in MNAC when DB private show.
> BV follows the Stones in the five continents, goes
> to every single show, and indirectly works for the
> Stones, encreasing the Stones knowladge
> everywere.
> It was not fair to let him out, even more if those
> vip gorgeous blondes could accede, also some
> fashion, very smart and stylish people too.
> The worse arrived once the show started when a
> woman part of the Stones crew, checked outside if
> we were handsome enough to could accede.
> I was wearing my IORR tshirt. Probably wearing an
> Armani jacket, I could get in.

This was a private show. If I hire the stones (for3M€?) I decide who gets in. Too bad for Bv, but that's the way it is.
Even with a Prada suit you wouldn't have gotten in. Trust me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-29 08:11 by Harm.

Posted by: abb05 ()
Date: August 29, 2007 10:38

I saw my fair share of abb shows,UK-USA, I just wish I could have been there for the last 3. I would have been fine with the setlist(s) regardless....

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: August 29, 2007 12:50

I get that they have to play "Satisfaction", "JJF", "Brown Sugar", "Honky Tonk Women", etc. at stadium shows. Thats what 90% of the audience want to hear.
But do they really need to play them in front of the hardcore Stones fans who want oldies, rarities, b-sides, covers, blues, anything except "Satisfaction" for the 1000th time.
It cannot be artistically satisfying for them to do the same act every show. They don't even change the order in which they play them. Keith played the same two songs for this whole tour? Whats that about? It's about them being a bunch of lazy F**kers, that's what!
New material. We wait for nearly a decade for a new album and when it arrives, they pick one song and play it to death. They even appear apologetic when introducing it onstage. Why bother then? Why not play 5 songs from A Bigger Bang? The answer, a bunch of lazy @#$%&!
I love them but this is the truth!

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: August 29, 2007 13:14

All these years and people have still not realised that you cannot gamble on, or expect anything of the Stones. They will do what they want. Take it or leave it.
And it's at our cost, always has been.
But when they deliver, it's an honour to witness it.

Date: August 29, 2007 13:22

I 100% agree. I don't expect them to take any advice from anyone. But, I'm amazed at their complete lack of integrity. Think of the great music we're missing out on because they only record 1 or 2 albums a decade. I feel as bad for them as I do for us. The adventure is truly over!!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 29, 2007 13:27

Having a bad day iamthedj?

Date: August 29, 2007 13:27

<Keith played the same two songs for this whole tour?>

Infamy
The Worst
Slipping Away
Learning The Game
Happy
Before They Make Me Run
This Place Is Empty
Wanna Hold You
You Got The Silver
Little T + A
Connection

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-29 13:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: August 29, 2007 13:29

OILY_DIPSTICK Wrote:
> All these years and people have still not realised
> that you cannot gamble on, or expect anything of
> the Stones. They will do what they want. Take it
> or leave it.
> And it's at our cost, always has been.
> But when they deliver, it's an honour to witness
> it.

I think these comments sum it all up.

Date: August 29, 2007 13:32

Not having a bad day at all. Just thinking about the last few weeks of shows and realised that while I can appreciate the spectacle of the shows, that they really don't matter anymore. The shows are like a wake with better lighting.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 29, 2007 13:35

"The shows are like a wake with better lighting"

Wouldn't you admit thats a rather OTT statement?

Its the final leg of a very long tour. Expect the spectacle and not ground breaking song selections.....

Date: August 29, 2007 13:40

No, either spend some time writing and touring a new album or just retire with some dignity. My preference would be a new album, of course. Just strap a pair on and ditch the usual song formula and give us the best Stones album you can!!!

Date: August 29, 2007 13:41

ablett Wrote:
> "The shows are like a wake with better lighting"
>
> Wouldn't you admit thats a rather OTT statement?
>
> Its the final leg of a very long tour. Expect the
> spectacle and not ground breaking song
> selections.....

Yes, just don't expect anything different when you go to a rolling stones concert.
That's the right attitude in life

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 29, 2007 13:48

Well I only ever get to go to one show per tour so the setlist is not that important to me ,I have been fortunate enough to have seen them live at various times over the years and all in all I thought Sunday's show was exellent , I thought with all the negative vibes about Keith ect it would be just ok .
But I must say I thought the whole night was amazing and I'm not a big fan of Miss You but I even enjoyed that as well.
I can say with out bullsh#t I really ENJOYED the show and thank everybody band and crowd who made it such a pleasure to be there.

Date: August 29, 2007 13:51

Would it really be "ground breaking" not to play Satisfaction in Hamburg. Or to play Time Waits For No One among the big hits in Moscow. They are so uncreative with thier choices, it's astonising. I mean, they are sitting on the greatest back catalogue of songs in pop history and they simply can't be arsed to show them off.
I don't expect them to do a two hour blues jam in Wembley Stadium, but either you're moving forward or you're dead.

Posted by: Cat ()
Date: August 29, 2007 13:58

Harm Wrote:
> Maybe the next tour they should tell the setlist
> when the tickets go on sale for that show.
> Brussels: 1.-2: Same 3. Paint it black...4-16:same
> 200€
> Amsterdam: 1-2:same 3. Out of control 4_16:same
> 200€
> Berlin: 1-2: same 3.Shine a light (I'm goin to
> this gig smiling smiley 4-16: same 220 €

Nice idea ;-)

How about doing an "Album Tour" then?

... pick a few nice venues, not bigger than the O2, in various cities, do 3 to 5 five shows there and play a different album every night.
You know, they could do Beggar's Banquet one night, Exile the next, Voodoo Lounge another night and so on. Preferrably they should play the entire album that's on that night, even the weak songs. Warhorses not allowed (maybe one as an encore).
Announce which album is going to be played each night and the fans can pick which one they want to hear.

Ok, I'll keep on dreaming ...

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 29, 2007 14:00

If one, as most people and also I did, see just one show a tour I don´t think there is a problem with set lists. You´re simply happy to see them again. For those who have time and money to follow them around I realize that a bit of frustration maybe creeps in after a while, but I really don´t think the band has a responsibility to change the set list just for that reason.

Date: August 29, 2007 14:01

I think only 2% of the occasional fans know what great songs the stones have made through the years. It's amazing.
But that's probably the point why they don't play them but on the other hand they will only be remembered as the band who wrote 7 or 8 great songs.

Date: August 29, 2007 14:03

Cat Wrote:
> Harm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe the next tour they should tell the
> setlist
> > when the tickets go on sale for that show.
> > Brussels: 1.-2: Same 3. Paint it
> black...4-16:same
> > 200€
> > Amsterdam: 1-2:same 3. Out of control 4_16:same
> > 200€
> > Berlin: 1-2: same 3.Shine a light (I'm goin to
> > this gig smiling smiley 4-16: same 220 €
>
> Nice idea ;-)
>
> How about doing an "Album Tour" then?
>
> ... pick a few nice venues, not bigger than the
> O2, in various cities, do 3 to 5 five shows there
> and play a different album every night.
> You know, they could do Beggar's Banquet one
> night, Exile the next, Voodoo Lounge another night
> and so on. Preferrably they should play the
> entire album that's on that night, even the weak
> songs. Warhorses not allowed (maybe one as an
> encore).
> Announce which album is going to be played each
> night and the fans can pick which one they want to
> hear.
>
> Ok, I'll keep on dreaming ...

Oh no, I would have to go to every gig.

Date: August 29, 2007 14:18

Harm wrote:

"they will only be remembered as the band who wrote 7 or 8 great songs"

I have to say I don't agree. The Stones have had a huge impact in the way everyone thinks of pop, whether they know it or not. Their logos, image, names, music, videos, private lives, everything is so iconic that they will not simply be remembered for 7 or 8 songs.

Songs such as:

1.Shine A Light
2.Time Waits For No One
3.Time Is On My Side
4.Dance
5.All About You
6.Have You Seen Your Mother?
7.Cry To Me
8.Ain't No Use In Crying
9.Waiting On A Friend
10.Sister Morphine
11.Let It Loose
12.Route 66
13.Little Queenie
14.Undercover Of The Night
15.Saint Of Me
16.Silver Train
17.Winter
18.Shattered
19.Citade
20.Salt Of The Earth

are all perfect for live performance, to name but a few. I mean what are they keeping these for? So many of my friends have heard me play Salt Of The Earth or Dance and asked "who is that?" I'm not saying to do every show with none of the monster hits, just keep things interesting!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 29, 2007 14:29

OILY_DIPSTICK Wrote:
> All these years and people have still not realised
> that you cannot gamble on, or expect anything of
> the Stones. They will do what they want.

Cant agree with that, Oily. If Mick is making excuses for playing songs that arent well-known (as has happened this tour - even when the songs in question ARE 'well known') and using the 'certain people have to hear certain songs' argument then that basically contradicts the theory that the Stones are doing "what they want". If anything, its exactly the opposite - they're letting a certain type of audience who (they think) only know or like a certain amount of songs DICTATE their choice of live material. This has been more prevalent post-Licks than ever before and is a direct result of the band 'targeting' a certain type of audience re: ticket sales etc.

Take it
> or leave it.
> And it's at our cost, always has been.
> But when they deliver, it's an honour to witness
> it.

That I agree with.

Date: August 29, 2007 14:37

Concerning new material, I remember reading a quote from Jagger in an interview where he said something along the lines of: "The Stones is a huge project to tour behind. The album takes second place to the tour. You're always thinking will this work live?"

Thats why the Stones albums for the most parts sound bland. They don't seem to take any risks in the studio anymore. Terrible waste of talent. I'd like to have a couple of albums really fast with no tour. Shake things up and see what happens. Whats the worst that can happen? Someone doesn't dance to it, or buy it, or like it.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: August 29, 2007 14:38

Yea Harm, you are right.
It's a pity the Stones will be remembered as 7-8 great songs composers.

I saw the Stones for the first time in 76 in Barcelona. I was there for my oldest cousin, who was probably at his tenth gig. He was living in England and Netherlands at that time, and was were interested to see Robin Trower as support band that day. From that day he convince me to love the Stones.

Years later, my 12 years old son was in Barcelona licks 2003 together with me. He loves the Stones more than me. He loves all their songs,not only these 7-8 concrete. Hot Stuff, Undercover, Lady Jane, Rainbow, Paint it black are into his preferences.

It's important to transmit our love for the Stones to the new generations,but the band should help us because listening always the same songs, this minimize the greatest r'n'r band ever.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 29, 2007 14:55

Svartmer Wrote:
> If one, as most people and also I did, see just
> one show a tour I don´t think there is a problem
> with set lists. You´re simply happy to see them
> again. For those who have time and money to follow
> them around I realize that a bit of frustration
> maybe creeps in after a while, but I really don´t
> think the band has a responsibility to change the
> set list just for that reason.

Yes, point taken but this is different as it was three nights in one place. I wouldn't ask or expect totally different sets each night or that the warhorses were dropped. Only that songs 2-7 could be given variety which they were between Tuesday and Thursday. They were very aware that many people there on the last night had been to all three so why not as many changes? That's why it was disappointing and Gazza is quite right - even people like me who have never once complained about a setlist to date felt that disappointment.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 29, 2007 17:12

I almost headed down to London for this gig,expecting something from the vaults,thankfully I didn't.

My faith in the guys has been restored with the Biggest Bang dvd.Great memories from the Rio and BA shows I attended.

Just hope that if they do tour again that Keef gets his shit together.Its been a lousey tour for him.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 29, 2007 17:32

Interesting point Cat. Could be one for the Stones to develop. They actually started that idea on the Licks tour and the three nights I saw them at Wembley in 2003 they played a handful of songs from Exile, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers on different nights.

Perhaps a whole album played in its entirety would be too much for your average Stones fan but at least say a four or five song segment before the b-stage rolls out.

One artist who has tried this is Roy Harper who played four shows at the 100 Club last year and gave advance warning to fans on his website which album would be played when.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 29, 2007 17:46

It amazing that people can defend their song selections. And going to only one show per tour is not the answer either cause look at the last few tours, not much has changed in the song department. I saw the Stones in Boston in 2002 and 2005 and the set lists were almost the same besides a few songs. Its clear that many Stones fans are pretty turned off by these set lists. And its hard to really understand what they are thinking.

Someone really needs to get the message across to the band that its way too obviously that they are being lazy with their set lists. I am not a fan of Bruce Springsteen but I am almost jealous that his fans get to see shows and hear different songs. And I am going to see Dylan for the second time in two months cause I know he will not phone it in and play the same exact set again. I hope the Stones don't continue to tour like this, I thought they were heading in the right direction with the Licks tour idea. The only logiacal answer is that the band can't handle playing anything else except these same songs.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home