Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shine A Light Screening Last night
Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: July 28, 2007 19:40

A friend of mine in the movie business went to a screening last night of Shine A Light. Marty S. himself was there to introduce it. Many of us were wondering how much of it was concert film and how much was documentary. Well, he said its 98% concert film with a little old footage mixed in. He did say it was great though... very well shot and the band was really into it.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Re: Shine A Light Screening Last night
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 28, 2007 20:03

Thats a fine percentage and a good sign.

But the only thing that really helps, is seeing it yourself.
Do we know the release date?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 28, 2007 20:04

hey! good scoop!! it will be interesting to see how someone like
Scorsese interprets a Stones theater show.....to be honest, I was
hoping for something similar to his Dylan documentary (or a 50/50 mix)
but I'm (obviously) looking forward to Shine A Light.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 28, 2007 20:25

Was the screening in New York?

Date: July 28, 2007 20:49

My friend lives in NY and he didn't mention traveling so I assume it was in NYC.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 29, 2007 00:04

Did your friend mention anything about the setlist, as to have many and which songs are in the film?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 29, 2007 00:29

98% concert material? We'll have to bring dancingshoes to the cinemas then

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: July 29, 2007 00:31

I wonder if it hits cinemas in Poland,
some kids unaware of Stones beauty and energy might see what it is all about!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 29, 2007 00:39

98% concert? That seems a lot, really - I mean, there was so many great people and effort involved, shouldn't there be more then 2% of something else? Looking forward to it smiling smiley

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: July 29, 2007 03:58

This is exactly what he wrote about the set-list... "I just thought for a Scorcese show the set list would be less-mainstream."

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 29, 2007 03:59

W00000000000000!!!!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 29, 2007 04:00

this is such great news; i only hope it's really true. what a great personal relief if it's true.
reason? i personally am not interested in another fan document or historical document if it shortchanges the actual 'art' of The Rolling Stones in real time...i hope it's not too very 'jump cutty'...and we get to see the relationships of them working with and off of each other and a relatively small crowd...

of course i'd like to see the vaults opened...of course...'69 & 72/73 excerpts, and as much as possible if this ever sees the light of day in my lifetime, i would personally prefer that even in this case, they leave us mostly with just The Rolling Stones period.

Commentary and history; well, there's a lot of it around and if more comes in other projects...fine; it could be done creatively and excitingly etc...blah blah...i wouldn't miss it but.......

... but it should never be at the expense of the actual visceral experience imo...THIS is what they are really offering of true heart and deep worth, and has been, since the beginning.

I have always hoped that this project would just let the Stones be the Stones and present themselves live and in the flesh in a theatre enviornment...some footage surrounding the 'event' will be included i'm sure...and if it's handled nicely, great and thank you to the film makers...if it isn't...it still won't matter cause we'll get the The Rolling Stones in an intimate environment, during a particularly interesting personal and professional time in their career...
here's hoping it isn't too jump cutty...

whoever reigned the project back to "98% live" has my deep and abiding thanks...I'm sure there was some behind-the-scenes difference about the approach...when i see 'produced by Mick Jagger, Ron Wood, Keith Richards & Charlie Watts, I want to be very proud and happy and I definetly want to rock man, and i don't want anybody to 'splain jack shit to me thru whatever prism...and i don't want jump cutty crap either...they are fascinating to me, absolutely so...let them fascinate...

good news imo...makes my day...dare i be hopeful?
yes to the comment about people dancing in the effin movie theatres...
i've always thought highly of the philosophical socio/cultural paradigm best summed up with
"let it rock"...
...ooh my soul...as little richard would say...
well, alright.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 29, 2007 05:16

Hope it will be released on cinema here in Greece.The bad thing is that I will be too excieted and I will not be alone in the cinema smiling smileyI am also great that it is mainly a concert film.Hope it is straight and doesn't have cuts etc.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 29, 2007 05:22

I just can't wait

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 29, 2007 05:53

very good news, although i was hoping for a bit more vault stuff to be honest

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 4, 2007 08:58

This week on L'Espresso a weekly italian magazine there's an interview with Scorsese about working with the stones (being a fan). Very interesting stuff with some good shots from the movie. Confirmed: it is a concert movie with some context. In particularas scorsese puts it there's an auto-ironic account of the arrangements and planning for the movie and of his difficulties to get in contact with the stones...er mick jagger that seems the only band member involved in the production. he says most of the "meetings" with mick where on the phone. The writer gives a good review of the movie itself as the weakest moments for him are the duets with White and Aguilera (maybe is over 40??).
Scorsese was shocked by the rio concert as he thought the gigantism of the show machine was overcoming the magic of the band. This is why he decided to turn from the chronicle of the stadium tour to a specific more intimate show in a theatre.
Also he turn from documentary to concert movie baffled by the enormous filmed materials already released on the band and feeling as impossible to sum it up in one movie. Also he says something like: as a die-hard fan i am not so much interested in the creative process as in the outcome (!). He also talks about how much the music of the stones influenced his art. He says Mean Streets is "dedicated to jumping jack flash" and that, when in need of inspiration he usually get on his car and put some stones music. It is as deep as a song influencing the way a certain scene is filmed.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 4, 2007 13:17

Hello There,

This is one release I am looking forward to seeing...I won't bother buying 'The Bigger Bang',but this Beacon Theatre show does interest me.

I'd echo BeelyBoy's comments above re. 'jump-editing'.At least with Scorcese onboard we might get a properly edited film,instead of MTV/video style pissing-around with no camera allowed to stay on it's subject for more than 1.5 seconds for fear of the brain-dead audience being unable to cope with it.Let the camera linger,FFS!

There.Rant over.Actually I am in a good mood really,but sometimes you gotta have a moan,y'know?

Cheers,

Si.

ps See you at Slane and hopefully London!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-04 13:34 by SimonN.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: August 4, 2007 13:31

what is interesting about it? All those VIP's and models who were invited to 'upgrade' the audience.....
Just as uninteresting as the unnecessary ABB DVD set.

Just open the vaults and give some 72/73 and 78 stuff on DVD, that's all we need.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 4, 2007 13:37

Hi kees,

For sure,the 'opening of the vaults' really would be something to shout about,but in lieu of that I'll take a theatre show (no,not Les Mis,ha-ha!) that is 'properly' shot...by a fan!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: August 10, 2007 13:17

So, now the movie is delayed.
Is it possible to imagine that the screening was not well acclaimed on this night by the audience or by the band ?
They need perhaps more months to work again on the project.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 10, 2007 13:45

arizojp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, now the movie is delayed.
> Is it possible to imagine that the screening was
> not well acclaimed on this night by the audience
> or by the band ?

yes thats very well possible because the official reason that the film company needs more time to prepare a better promotion campaign sounds like excuse a bit in my ears!!!

they had already everything set up for release and now they discover that they need more time for good promotion campaign? how ridiculous is that!!!

> They need perhaps more months to work again on the
> project.

apparently because someone is not yet happy with results. perhaps they need re-shooting of audience because those invited models were stilly not attractive or sexy enough or did not behave enthusiastic enough or the soundtrack needs more overdubs!!!

I for sure dont need this fake of a concert "documentary" with VIPs and models who care shit about Stones and their music. nothing to do with real life...nothing to do with real fans!

open the vaults instead and give us some real Stones history!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-10 13:51 by alimente.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 10, 2007 14:50

arizojp Wrote:
> So, now the movie is delayed.
> Is it possible to imagine that the screening was
> not well acclaimed on this night by the audience
> or by the band ?
> They need perhaps more months to work again on the
> project.

Thats how I see it too. pretty ridiculous considering theyve set up a website, Scorsese has been at advance screenings and even talked about it in interviews.

However....

the upside of all this is that at least we have some Stones activity for sure to look forward to in 2008 and the the excuse of giving them time to maximise a 'promotional campaign' may inspire the band to do something creative.

speaking as one fan who was having trouble envisioning anything beyond September 2007 Stones-wise, I'll gladly take this extension to the band's career....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 10, 2007 16:49

......according to MSNBC in the States the project is now slated for an April 2008 release.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 10, 2007 19:43

I always envisioned this film having limited success theatrically and pictured it getting a fairly limited release in the U.S. where within 3-4 weeks of it's September 21st release, it would pretty much already be gone from theaters. I don't picture a gross in the U.S. of more than around $15-20,000,000, but that it would sell well as a dvd. Just because Scorsese is coming off his greatest commercial success with The Departed and the Stones had a massive success playing live to crowds on this tour doesn't mean people are going to go see this movie in a theater. It will really only appeal to real hard core Stones fans and people who go to every Scorsese picture he makes, regardless of the subject matter.

When this film is finally released in April, it will have been almost a full year since Scorsese gave a sneak preview of it at Cannes and roughly 18 months since it was filmed. This is a concert film, not a science fiction film requiring heavy post prodcution. Everyone involved in this film has known for months that the Stones would be busy through late August, so it's ridiculous to belive that they just discovered there's not enough time to set up the release with their participation.

Perhaps as rumored they will be doing additional filming for this movie. Another possibility is someone decided at this late moment that with the recent release of the Biggest Bang dvd that the potential audience for this film won't feel the desire to pay so soon to see more live Stones material from the same tour. It's also possible that the Stones have been happy with the tour of Europe this summer and have decided to return to the US, and possibly other parts of the world, to tour behind the release of this film in late Spring or Summer. If that's the case, then it's easy to understand why they'll need the extra 7 months to coordinate all this.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2007 19:59

>> Perhaps as rumored they will be doing additional filming for this movie. <<

sorry for the no-doubt-gormless question, but where did that rumour come from?

>> It's also possible that the Stones have been happy with the tour of Europe this summer and have decided
to return to the US, and possibly other parts of the world, to tour behind the release of this film in late Spring or Summer. <<

and then they'll be so happy with that that they'll update the film with footage from that leg,
and return to Europe to do a promotional type tour, which they'll be so happy with that ... ahem, and so on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-10 20:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 11, 2007 01:47

Gazza Wrote:
> arizojp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So, now the movie is delayed.
> > Is it possible to imagine that the screening
> was
> > not well acclaimed on this night by the
> audience
> > or by the band ?
> > They need perhaps more months to work again on
> the
> > project.
>
>
> Thats how I see it too. pretty ridiculous
> considering theyve set up a website, Scorsese has
> been at advance screenings and even talked about
> it in interviews.
>
> However....
>
> the upside of all this is that at least we have
> some Stones activity for sure to look forward to
> in 2008 and the the excuse of giving them time to
> maximise a 'promotional campaign' may inspire the
> band to do something creative.
>
> speaking as one fan who was having trouble
> envisioning anything beyond September 2007
> Stones-wise, I'll gladly take this extension to
> the band's career....

Do you mean anything beyond Aug.26th or is their something else going on in Sept. live show wise?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: August 11, 2007 03:19

Isn't this going to be just another in a never ending line of live concerts? I was hoping for more behind the scenes type stuff.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 11, 2007 03:30

go figure, scorsese first music film flop will be with the stones, just our luck, although i deeply hope i am wrong

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 11, 2007 05:00

Yeah, J.Kirk, me too!
Over the last years we really had enough live concert films. And they never really worked!

I hoped for something surprising and more special from Scorcese.
Personally I prefer highlights from various gigs mixed with behind the scene stuff and some goodies from the vaults!
To me that's more entertaining than another filmed concert!

So I hope he's taking the time to rework the stuff . .

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 11, 2007 09:51

i hope it's finished and in the can and they leave it be; they had all those cameras and two nights of shooting in what was reorted here as a magnificent and intimate show...don't be encouraging scorcese to get all documentary on this; imo, you will miss the stones and get a watered-down and stoopid tv style documentary instead of a magnificently powerful concert.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home