Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Zematis Greco guitars - any good?
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 28, 2007 09:42

Thinking of buying a Greco copy of a metal front Zematis. Does anybody know much about the quality of these?

Re: Zematis Greco guitars - any good?
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 28, 2007 13:49

Don't buy it, I've tried several on Sunset Boulevard and also one here in Stockholm, and though I've never played an original I think the Greco versions are bland and way too expensive in comparison with the quality you get. Good looking though.....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 28, 2007 14:58

MadMax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't buy it, I've tried several on Sunset
> Boulevard and also one here in Stockholm, and
> though I've never played an original I think the
> Greco versions are bland and way too expensive in
> comparison with the quality you get. Good looking
> though.....

I completely disagree. I find the Greco Zemaitis brand to be up there with the best of custom shop instruments by Fender and Gibson. Wood, woodwork, craftmanship, hardware -it's all best from the best. There's two things you have to consider though: personally I do not like Dimarzio pickups, including the 103 PAF replica's, and metal top Zemaitis guitars (actually any Zemaitis with duraluminium hardware) tend to miss out on the bass frequencies, making the guitar sound a bit flat and one-dimensional.

You simply have less wood resonating, and you can hear that in the amplified sound. But, that's the part of the Zemaitis sound -you can pick out Ron Wood playing his metal top through even the worst audience tapes!

Mathijs

Posted by: pieter kentrop ()
Date: July 28, 2007 17:05

hello Tarraplane
The Greco Zemaitis is an autorised licenceproduct of the famous Toni Zemaitis family.The are made in true Zemaitis traditions. Divide in 2 types The custom shop ( Superior series ), expensive and the GZ Licenced by Greco Series made in Japan.They are using the same materials DP103 paf pickups. Great guitars. We purchaised a Greco GZ 3200DF guitar ( Ronnies copy he uses on You got me Rocking.Monkey Man .Rough Justice ,Let It Bleed etc. List price about $ 3500.00 .for our Rollingstones tribute band. see www.myspace.com/pieterkentrop
www.myspace.com/littleboyblueandtheblueboys ( there you can see some pictures of the guitar.). or go to www.zemaitis.net
The GZ 3200DF sounds fantasic and keeps very good in tune under various curcumstaances. Very nice pice of crafmanship. comes in a case.
great buy. But the cost a bundle.
Recommended.
Love and Peace.
Pieter Kentrop

Blacklimousine

Date: July 28, 2007 23:04

Thanks for those opinions guys. The craftsmanship on them is fantastic no doubt.

Mathijs raises a good point about the lose of bass frequencies though.

I was surprised to hear they are $3500 though. I am going to Japan at the end of this year. I am hoping they will be a lot less expensive there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-28 23:10 by terraplane.

Date: July 28, 2007 23:14

This is the model that interests me:

[www.zemaitis.net]

Posted by: pieter kentrop ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:18

Ok good luck in Japan.
Nice one. B.T.W we use the discfront Zemaitis Greco over the AC 30.

Blacklimousine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home