Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Is this tour becoming boring?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 19, 2007 04:22

I'm sorry to delve into this topic but looking at the reviews of shows and just looking at the threads posted here I have been wondering to myself if anyone else has this feeling?

A little reality check for everyone this is not a bash the Stones (whom its agreed we all love) but stop and think about it, the setlist is stale and we have been waiting forever for something different from the band and this tour is the same old thing again.

I don't sense the excitement much from members. I mean how many times can we read "Keith was great, they were tight, Ronnie was on tonight," Now the show is down to 18 songs. Its become a hit parade. So much to offer yet so litte in return.

Maybe at the London shows???

Re: Is this tour becoming boring?
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 19, 2007 04:30

Yeah Sicilain. It was well expected, that the setlists would be pretty predictable in eastern Europe. We'll see what happens when they come back around to Scandanavia then London.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 19, 2007 04:38

Miss your prozac today,folks?

Date: July 19, 2007 04:43

Yeah but Patron is working nicely instead.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 19, 2007 05:02

I think so. I`m already contemplating getting rid of my ticket some way or another. They mustn`t think they can prompt this "greatest hits" stuff on me, with all this "have to be there" nonsense they seem to float upon.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 19, 2007 05:10

this tour is from 2005 its not fresh anymore, the boys need a break and a pretty long one at that, at least til 09, then come back strong again when we are starving for them again, they also need to change the lineup a bit, no its not bashing the backup people, its just getting tired already

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 19, 2007 05:21

It's like anything else in life. The novelty wears off after awhile, so to the people that have been following it for the last two years/going to multiple shows, it is only natural that it would get less exciting as the tour goes on.

That's not a shortcoming of the band that's just the way it goes. To the people that are seeing them for the first time it is exciting.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 19, 2007 05:35

Yah when the open up with start me up for zillionth time. These guys are like robots. Been a fan since 65, but come on delve back into the catalog Mick!

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: July 19, 2007 05:39

Can't help being excited about London. Don't care how many times I see the same thing. It's the best same thing going.

Date: July 19, 2007 05:46

melillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this tour is from 2005 its not fresh anymore, the
> boys need a break and a pretty long one at that,
> at least til 09, then come back strong again when
> we are starving for them again, they also need to
> change the lineup a bit, no its not bashing the
> backup people, its just getting tired already

Yeah but in 09 they will be almost 70 melillo. That's why they have to keep going for th next year or so. After that they will be irellavant.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 19, 2007 06:31

In 09 they will be almost 70? Hmm, Ronnie just turned 60, yes, the others are a little older. Why would they be irrelevant after 07-08?

I agree a break would be good about now. I'm sure they do too.
Still looking forward to a couple of shows myself.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 19, 2007 06:42

Jagger will turn 66 midway through 09. The problem isn't that they would be so old in 09 but age would be a problem if they take four or five years off.

If they do anything after this tour it will have to be relatively soon. Take 08 off then come back in 09 with a new album and maybe that will be the last hurrah. I know it's probably wishful thinking on my part (another album).

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: July 19, 2007 07:17

nope

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 19, 2007 07:18

Thanks for some good honest opinions everyone so far. I half expected the stock "well I'm just glad to see them, or anytime they tour is great"

Hey I'm all of the above myself but what fan base are they catering too? 18 songs in Romania? Would it be asking too much to play 22 songs for these fans who rarely if ever get to see them? How about an acoustic set? An instrumental?

You have to cut thru the good feelings and emotions and look at it like a critic would.

And what happened to this big push Gazza put up about voting for a songs to pass on to the band just prior to the tour. I have not heard any of these voters choices yet.

Date: July 19, 2007 07:59

angee Wrote:
> In 09 they will be almost 70? Hmm, Ronnie just
> turned 60, yes, the others are a little older.
> Why would they be irrelevant after 07-08?
>
> I agree a break would be good about now. I'm sure
> they do too.
> Still looking forward to a couple of shows myself.

OK,I hate it when logic geys in the way of a good argument.........Your right. It will probably be a couple years before they tour again.sad smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 19, 2007 08:27

No, never, I love it all. Yes, some shows are better than others but I enjoy just watching them on stage regardless of the music.

Plus, this tour, there are such a variety of new things for me personally that have never happened before -- going to 25 plus shows, going to Europe and several countries, being part of multiple Stones fan clubs and getting to know a lot of great folks,

getting to meet some of the Stones (Ronnie, Charlie), going "FOS" in Europe which mostly does not exist in the States any more, taking boat loads of photos, especially in Europe where they dont care and dont try to stop you,

seeing them in a small place (Beacon), going to a tour opener (Boston) and closer (London), calling/texting in the set list for posting (Missoula),

going to a lot of historic venues -- Fenway, Hollywood Bowl, MSG, Olympiastadion in Berlin, seeing them in their home town of London, seeing them in places they have never played -- Regina and especially Missoula (first time in my state ever),

seeing them in one of the fabled Hispanic venues - Barcelona, seeing them in the middle of open fields with trees - Werchter, Nijmegen, following them from show to show (6 of the first 7 in Europe 07).

I love you all -- the Stones, my family, the great Gazza, Beast, sweetcharmedlife, open-g, stnesfrk frank, and especially the German ladies who have helped me out immeasurably, faithfully, and seemingly without end - Iris and Steffi. I know I am leaving folks out, sorry, maybe will add later.

But most of all, the greatest experience on this tour has been THE REVELATION OF THE PLEXIGLASS AND SPREADING THE GOOD WORD ABOUT ITS OMNIPOTENCE AND DIVINITY.

And you know what folks -- returning to the original theme of this thread from which I have deviated -- I NEVER TIRE OF WATCHING THE PLEXIGLASS EVERY NIGHT, AT EVERY SHOW, A CONTINUOUS SOURCE OF (SPIRITUAL) INSPIRATION AND EXCITEMENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Plexiglass, YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theplexiglass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-19 08:29 by timbernardis.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 19, 2007 08:48

The Sicilian Wrote:
> I'm sorry to delve into this topic but looking at
> the reviews of shows and just looking at the
> threads posted here I have been wondering to
> myself if anyone else has this feeling?
>
> A little reality check for everyone this is not a
> bash the Stones (whom its agreed we all love) but
> stop and think about it, the setlist is stale and
> we have been waiting forever for something
> different from the band and this tour is the same
> old thing again.
>
> I don't sense the excitement much from members. I
> mean how many times can we read "Keith was great,
> they were tight, Ronnie was on tonight," Now the
> show is down to 18 songs. Its become a hit
> parade. So much to offer yet so litte in return.
>
>
> Maybe at the London shows???

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: July 19, 2007 10:43

Hey pay pay congrats! You won the price for most stupid post in July!! Enjoy.

Date: July 19, 2007 10:50

Strike Wrote:
> Hey pay pay congrats! You won the price for most
> stupid post in July!! Enjoy.

I felt that the post said all there is to say on this subject. Anyway, July isn't over yet.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 19, 2007 11:19

FrankM Wrote:
> It's like anything else in life. The novelty wears
> off after awhile, so to the people that have been
> following it for the last two years/going to
> multiple shows, it is only natural that it would
> get less exciting as the tour goes on.
>
> That's not a shortcoming of the band that's just
> the way it goes. To the people that are seeing
> them for the first time it is exciting.

I'm seeing 13 shows from this particular leg of the tour, 9 down and 4 to go. I must say that each and every one of the 9 I've seen so far has been thrilling, because for me ... each concert is a slightly different experience. There are SO many parameters in play that in sum make any particular show what it is. To name but a few; where in the stadium you are, the company you're with, whether perhaps you've had a beer or two or not, the attitude of security staff, and then all the peripheral logistical issues, like getting there/getting back, food/drink/toilet facilities within the venue ... the list goes on. And finally of course there's the setlist(s), and the actual quality of the performance(s).

Speaking solely for myself, at this point in time, I'm very happy with the 9 shows I've seen, because I consider myself to have been treated to as much of a setlist "variation" within those 9 shows as one could realistically expect the band to offer. I'm also equally happy with the decision I made to miss a bunch of shows after Rome on 9th July, the ones in the Balkans, eastern Europe, Scandinavia, because in the case of certainly the ones taking place in largely "new" markets, I wouldn't have been expecting to hear one single song that I haven't already heard. And in fact, the Bucharest setlist kind of validated/endorsed my decision in this respect. I'm not "moaning" at the setlist, I'm sure the show itself was as good as any and the the crowd loved it and it was in all respects perfect for the market, it's just that had I attended, I suspect it would have begun to introduce an element of show "fatigue" (yes - I DO believe you can have a little too much of a good THANG, EVEN RS shows !!), and so hence I decided to skip a bunch.

So I'm now looking forward to Copenhagen, which will have given me a break of around a month and 9 shows, and then the 3 x O2 shows. And In SPITE of what I have said about show "fatigue", I'm now going to be a hypocritical bastard and say that between Copenhagen and the first O2 show ... I AM thinking of getting a ticket by some means or other for this Lausanne show and nipping over there for 24 hours !!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 19, 2007 11:21

Twonk!

This is the same tour that only a few weeks ago a few 'Mills and Boons' sobbing into the hankerchiefs regarding KR demise into a brain dead stroke suffering liver blown has-been! Now its "Keith was great, they were tight, Ronnie was on tonight" and its all too boring!

The only thing that is 'boring' are pointless threads like this one!

Date: July 19, 2007 11:37

You said it! I'd love to come to Europe to be "bored" a little.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 19, 2007 11:45

ablett Wrote:
> Twonk!
>
> This is the same tour that only a few weeks ago a
> few 'Mills and Boons' sobbing into the
> hankerchiefs regarding KR demise into a brain dead
> stroke suffering liver blown has-been! Now its
> "Keith was great, they were tight, Ronnie was on
> tonight" and its all too boring!
>
> The only thing that is 'boring' are pointless
> threads like this one!

A fair point ... goes to show we're ALL MAD !!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 19, 2007 12:31

Yes I think it is.Thats why When I am in Dublin the same weekend as the Stones that I will give the gig a miss.What ever passion I had for them has reduced rapidly over the year.Its nice to save the dosh too.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 19, 2007 12:57

It will be fun again in 2009 when they do a free concert in Hyde Park...winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-19 14:41 by Svartmer.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: July 19, 2007 13:15

Hi,

no, this tour isn´t boring,
I never saw a boring Stones tour.
At the eurpean tour ´82 they played every show almost the same setlist,
but every show was and is different.

Best regards
Thomas

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 19, 2007 13:24

I bet most people who say this tour is "boring" are the ones who haven't attended any show of it.

Talk is cheap, you know...

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: July 19, 2007 14:25

HAHAHA, Stargroover....liar!!! You will be crying into your Guiness when your Stones bodyclock reminds you

a - it's showtime
b - you are not there
c- it's too late to do anything about it

Pull the other one.

Oily.

Posted by: alvaro77 ()
Date: July 19, 2007 14:37

ablett Wrote:
> Twonk!
>
> This is the same tour that only a few weeks ago a
> few 'Mills and Boons' sobbing into the
> hankerchiefs regarding KR demise into a brain dead
> stroke suffering liver blown has-been! Now its
> "Keith was great, they were tight, Ronnie was on
> tonight" and its all too boring!
>
> The only thing that is 'boring' are pointless
> threads like this one!

So why you bother to read it or answer it?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 19, 2007 14:40

Cause if I don'y try and stick me four penith in the Prozac Posse on here rattle on like an old bag of bones!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home