Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some Girls Revisited
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 20, 2007 17:24

I just finished listening to this album in my car, and I must say Id forgotten how good it really was (IMO, one of the last truly good Stones albums that I can listen to every song). Miss You is delightfully campy, and it is hard to take seriously. The Chuck berry Influence shines through on songs like Lies and Respectable, while Some girls is a nice bluesy rocker (not to fond of the lyrics though, I'm not a prude, I just dont like them). Finally, Before they make me run is a good Keith song. I think the album must be the stones most diverse from disco (Miss You) to punk (shattered) to ballads (Beast of Burden) to blues (Some Girls) to straight rock and roll (Lies and Respectable) to country (Far Away Eyes and Before they make me run) to soul (the stones cover of (Just My) Imagination is great, they take it from a smooth soul song to a straight rocker, btw try singing with Mick on "Runaway Runaway Runaway", I find it nearly impossible not to get tongue tied winking smiley ). That said, Far Away Eyes is the worst song on the album and a real lowlight overall. I don't like Mick's fake country accent and the music and lyrics aren't that great.

Re: Some Girls Revisited
Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 20, 2007 17:35

Some girls I'd love to revisit....most I'm glad I can't, though......

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 20, 2007 17:45

yeah, i think you can make a case that it's the last GREAT Stones album - you can make the case for TY, too, but I go back-and-forth on whether I consider that a "proper" album, given the lineage of recordings, etc....

there's not a weak track there, imo, not even the tongue-in-cheek FAE...

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: July 20, 2007 18:00

I LOVE that album!!! my top five!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 20, 2007 18:04

Faraway eyes has some of the most hilarious stones lyrics ever!

"And the preacher said "You know, you always have the Lord by your side"
And I was so pleased to be informed of this
That I ran 20 red lights in his honor
Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord"

C

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 20, 2007 18:05

Its got not one bad tune.....Its got A great Sound...it got a great tour(almost every song played live).....Its got Fun riots.....It gots heartbreak(makin fun of heartbreak....but its still heartbreak...disco...uhmmmm disco?? No Miss you was on SG a blues tune!! The grief about Bianca!...Its got everything a 13 year old boy needed! I was 13.....and it had girls...funny thing was..that country tune!! that was strange for me...mind you at that age i was into hard rock.....that was so brave I thought at the time they even did that Live!!I love Faraway Eyes ..Funny and sad at the same time only The Stones could do that! What it really was? A break up album...a divorce album....aha..aha ..aha!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 20, 2007 18:08

i've never really thought of miss you as a disco song, per se. it is more R&B...hell, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells used to cover it in concert, and that's not exactly a disco act....

Date: July 20, 2007 18:25

In Fact it s one of their best tunes...sadly today it isnt....but hell sure it was....and it had everything disco had not...it was a song about '''HURT''...stayin inside..thinkin...Its so good....he still wants the girl to come back'''guess im l to myself''...the live 78 versions are even better...the way he sung this...I mean nowadays its just a crowd pleaser...with no pain.

Date: July 20, 2007 18:34

And also in a way it was there last blockbuster ....yeah ok SMU was....but hell Miss U is so much better...it got everything....Sex and groove and pain..SMU got only Grown up sex...still like it...but miss is so was so much better.

Date: July 20, 2007 18:36

Broken English!Its only edit but i like it.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 20, 2007 19:37

Respectable ... great rock & roll tune and a video to go with it. Mick on guitar too !!!

When the Whip Comes Down...my signature, need I say more.

Love
Love
Love this album.

Posted by: Dutch guy ()
Date: July 20, 2007 19:42

ronal wood made this album a chance for stones to come again in new music era. micky taylor would be wrong here.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 20, 2007 20:05

.........I will forever be grateful to the Stones for the soundtrack to the summer of '78!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 20, 2007 20:08

Nothing better than opening all the car windows (or any windows) and
cranking SHATTERED....especially on a Friday. Hey it's Friday!

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 20, 2007 20:16

pay pay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some girls I'd love to revisit....most I'm glad I
> can't, though......

...and some girls are better forgotten....

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: July 20, 2007 20:33

And live it was more punk than any punk band....

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 20, 2007 21:55

the day of release i paid like 3 times the price for the album , me & a friend got to the record store about 3 hrs. after it opened & i said to a worker there " where's all the somegirls albums " & he said they're all gone ,sold out , won't get more for 3 or 4 days , so i said did any workers here buy any & he said the manager did , so i offered him $15.00 for it & he sold it too me , what a releif that was

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 20, 2007 22:45

Im not saying anything about Miss You that Hasn't been said before but here it goes anyways: When I first heard it it definetly sounded to me like disco. But what fascinated me was at the time, I didnt think I liked disco, but I thought, this sounds good though. and it just fascinated me that the rolling stones did a disco song. It it was played much better then other disco music, it was played with style and sense of purpose. Each part of it added to the overall sound, nothing was wasted. I was impressed how a basic band of just two gituars bass and drums could make such good, rich sounding dance music, when other dance music is overproduced using syntheciser, drum machines ect. It was a tastefully done song that belonged to a mostly tacky kind of genre. This was the song that made me a fan.

I love the whole some girls album/era, and to this day Beast of Burden Is my fave stones track.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-20 22:49 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 21, 2007 02:04

My first Stones album.

Miss You is the only tune on it that I never really cared for until last night when I saw Charlie's jazz version on the B.B. dvd. I really do like that version. Wish I could see it live one day.

Posted by: alvaro77 ()
Date: July 21, 2007 02:27

Happy Jack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just finished listening to this album in my car,
> and I must say Id forgotten how good it really was
> (IMO, one of the last truly good Stones albums
> that I can listen to every song). Miss You is
> delightfully campy, and it is hard to take
> seriously. The Chuck berry Influence shines
> through on songs like Lies and Respectable, while
> Some girls is a nice bluesy rocker (not to fond of
> the lyrics though, I'm not a prude, I just dont
> like them). Finally, Before they make me run is a
> good Keith song. I think the album must be the
> stones most diverse from disco (Miss You) to punk
> (shattered) to ballads (Beast of Burden) to blues
> (Some Girls) to straight rock and roll (Lies and
> Respectable) to country (Far Away Eyes and Before
> they make me run) to soul (the stones cover of
> (Just My) Imagination is great, they take it from
> a smooth soul song to a straight rocker, btw try
> singing with Mick on "Runaway Runaway Runaway", I
> find it nearly impossible not to get tongue tied
> winking smiley ). That said, Far Away Eyes is the worst song
> on the album and a real lowlight overall. I don't
> like Mick's fake country accent and the music and
> lyrics aren't that great.

Curiously, FAE is a great song for me (specially the multiple chorus), almost like respectable and BTMMR and JMI. Furthermore, it was a higlight alive, a tasty duet keith-mick. Almost the last one.....IMO.

Cheers.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 21, 2007 16:15

Hard to believe this was released 29 years ago! Where did the time go? Great, fun album.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 21, 2007 16:39

....yep, it was the last great Stones album, it was synonymous with the summer of 1978, and yes, Miss You was disco........and let's not forget that great Stones appearance on Saturday Night Live.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: July 21, 2007 17:14

great album and the best songs from it are shattered, respectable and far away eyes.

Date: July 21, 2007 18:20

Far Away Eyes is great. I love all the Stones country flavored tunes. Micks pseudo accent is priceless.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 21, 2007 20:35

It`s a good album. Way too short unfortunately!

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: July 21, 2007 20:38

Best album they made while I was actually a fan (if you know what I mean).

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Date: July 21, 2007 20:43

The out takes are bloody good too!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home