Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Your initial reaction to the 1989 tour?
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 12, 2007 13:04

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since when has Jagger EVER sung rock opera?????

Since 1989, not always, not on the new songs but the warhorses are performed according to a safe formula and style that reminds me of opera. No rock n roll there. Listen to a song like Brown sugar on TOTP 1971 and well, 1990. Or better, JJF. Sometimes it feels spontanous yes, but mostly it's the same dal with backupsingers, and Mick singing with a mature bossy "opera" voice. And that aint rock n roll for me.

Date: May 12, 2007 13:06

Watch Chucks reaction to the tour at 1.35. OMG. Great overdubs by both Keith and Ron on that clip though.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 12, 2007 13:20

LA FORUM Wrote:
> but mostly it's the same dal with backupsingers, and Mick singing with a mature bossy "opera" voice. And that aint rock n roll for me.

Brown Sugar on the b-stage at all arena shows on the Licks tour was pretty rock 'n roll to me. But then again, you probably didn't see that tour, am I right?

Posted by: ForeverFAH ()
Date: May 12, 2007 14:03

erikjjf Wrote:
> Brown Sugar on the b-stage at all arena shows on
> the Licks tour was pretty rock 'n roll to me. But
> then again, you probably didn't see that tour, am
> I right?

Agree 100%. Brown Sugar was reborn on the Licks Tour. I think all of the "warhorses" should receive the B-stage treatment.

Posted by: salar ()
Date: May 12, 2007 17:12

Wow....the still kick ass, man...I could`nt believe what I saw..I was overhelmed...even better than the last tour in 82...
though it was different to compare cause to me it it s clear we have 2 Stones periodes...the old Stones...with chaotic tours and brutal garage sound which lasted till 82
And the NEW STONES...which came together in 1989 till now...

Date: May 12, 2007 17:26

<Great overdubs by both Keith and Ron on that clip though.>

No overdubs there?? Keith was loud smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2007 18:56

erikjjf Wrote:
> LA FORUM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > but mostly it's the same dal with backupsingers,
> and Mick singing with a mature bossy "opera"
> voice. And that aint rock n roll for me.
>
> Brown Sugar on the b-stage at all arena shows on
> the Licks tour was pretty rock 'n roll to me. But
> then again, you probably didn't see that tour, am
> I right?

I wasnt there and maybe it was great, The B-stage is perfect for them, I agree. Still I wish Mick could loosen up a lot. And Keith and Ronnie tighten up.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 12, 2007 23:06

Tseverin encapsulates the '89 tour-experience wonderfully...as well as its effects and consequences on the following tours [till today]. It was truly the beginning of a new Stone Age. For good or ill.

It heralded the beginning of the Rolling Stones as a safe and reliable Entertainment Product...dependable professionalism became priority one...while the old days of running with the devil and seeing what came out on stage [often brilliant/incendiary...occasionaly chaotic/shambling] were left in the past. A new Stone Age where the Album is merely a souvenir for the Tour...an appendage...a supporting Product..and afterthought [and often forgotten almost completely...see A Bigger Bang for proof of this]. It seemed a breath of fresh air at the time...a new beginning...a clearer direction...but I'm afraid it has led to statis - the same formula [tweaked here and there] over and over and over - and a certain RESPECTABILITY that leaves us older fans a bit disappointed.

The entire circus becomes a bit...stale.

But the fact is that if it weren't for this oft-reviled 'Formula' we would not have our beloved Rolling Stones today. The very strict creative parameters and business structures that the Stones first built around themselves in 1989 have allowed them to continue into the 21st Century [who woulda thunk it!?]...were it not for this 'Formula' - and the comfort and structure it provides them - they would have been history long ago. Alas.

So I'll be in Europe this summer...gratefully paying what I'm asked to pay...to see these old rascals reignite the magic once again...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 13, 2007 03:57

besides the overdub would not have been that sloppy, lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-13 03:57 by melillo.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 13, 2007 06:58

This tour is often slammed by the hardcore fans, but I loved the show I saw in New Orleans in 1989. The Superdome sold out in 3 hours. I was blown away by the stage, the music and the professional sound (I know some call it Vegas) of that tour. I liked everything about it. You can take the ragged days of 81 with Keith and Ron's off key moaning backing vocals....I'll take 89 any day of the week.

Of course I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the 78 tour.

Date: May 13, 2007 08:14

I was so freaking happy cuz i thought i would never see them. I wanted to go to Hampton in 81 but my parents thought i was too young. I was really pissed that they were playing 15 miles away and i was at home listening to it on the radio.
And the video was blocked from the local viewing area. I told my parents that when i got older i was going to every concert that came to town to make up for it.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home