Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Keith: I snorted my father
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:06

How come it tastes so good..?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-04 08:54 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:07

Ah well it sure took the weight off ticket prices...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Guba ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:11

Oh man!

This only means, ticket sales are not that good as they hoped before, so they need a bit more of publicity.

Two idiot sentences, and voilá, there it is.

Date: April 4, 2007 02:11

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We'll never know whether or not the snorting took
> place and the truth of it actually doesn't matter
> one bit.
>
> This is just a big, stupid, needless embarrassment
> for the Stones. If Jagger or Charlie were to find
> themselves on the fence doing about an album or a
> tour, the potential for this kind of pickled
> nonsense--to say nothing of real problems--could
> easily be the deciding factor in putting the band
> to bed.
>
> Remember when Jagger was touring with Joe Satriani
> and Keith was the one protecting the reputation of
> the Stones? My how time flies...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see how this hurts the *reputation* of the Stones in any way. KR snorting his father is quite irrelevent to the musical legacy of the Stones. It keeps the Stones in the news whether this is true not. In showbiz, there is no such thing as bad publicity. The Stones were among the first band to embrace that idea. Keith has been posing and telling stories, real or imagined for a while and cultivating his myth and his image of a hell-raiser for an even longer while.

I can already hear the fury and the flames but the only thing that hurts the *reputation* of the Stones is that KR has snorted away his ability to play a guitar.

The only truth remaining about KR is the blog below which elicited little response on this forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whammy Bar: Keef
By Larry Dobrow
Keith Richards is one of the coolest individuals ever to walk the face of the earth. He is a pioneer in the simultaneous self-accessorizing of headbands, beads and rubber bands in one’s coif. He is inimitable, incorrigible and, based on his ability to ingest copious quantities of substances of dubious legality, 600 times more likely to survive a nuclear holocaust than a cockroach.

He is also an overrated guitar player, bordering on minimally competent. I say this as somebody who digs the Rolling Stones, as somebody who counts the ominous wheeze that opens “Gimme Shelter” as one of the five greatest riffs of all time, as somebody who can find moments of musical mirth even on Bridges to Babylon (“Too Tight,” y’all). But as somebody who fancies himself a guitar aficionado, I’m at a loss to comprehend the bouquets consistently thrown in Keef’s direction. Just because we love the guy and what he stands for – the purity of the rock-and-roll spirit, even while bleeding one’s fans for $175 tickets to stadium shows – doesn’t mean we have to delude ourselves into thinking he can play worth a damn anymore. That is, if he ever could.

I haven’t caught the Stones play live in quite some time, owing to my distaste for bands who don’t bother to challenge themselves musically. Nonetheless, the last time I saw Keith in concert, he didn’t seem particularly engaged. Sure, he prowled around the gargantuan stage with his usual Cheshire-cat grin, sharing many a giggle with Ronnie Wood (helllloooo, underrated) and occasionally contorting himself into guitar-god poses (crouch, wince, thrust strumming arm violently downward, repeat). His playing was barely audible, however, and I’m about 85 percent sure he spent 90 percent of the concert in easily managed open tunings. I don’t care if you’re playing material by Muddy Waters or Puddle of Mudd; that gets filed under “barely trying.”

As for his recorded output, Richards lacks a true defining guitar-hero moment. His angular “Sympathy for the Devil” solo certainly underscores the song’s sense of menace, but it loses points for sloppiness. He gets props for any number of memorable rhythm figures – the alternately bright and murky bursts of chords that herald “Rocks Off,” “Little T&A” and “Happy” – but the most heroic and inventive guitar moments in the Stones catalog belong to Mick Taylor (“Can’t You Hear Me Knocking,” “Moonlight Mile”) and Brian Jones (“The Last Time,” the slide guitar that snakes through “No Expectations”).

And please, don’t try to persuade me that the opening riff to “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” by itself elevates Keith into the guitar pantheon. It’s three notes and a fuzz box. Is it that much more memorable than the “Life in the Fast Lane” opening volley? Holy lord… I think I just compared the Rolling @#$%&’ Stones to the Eagles. Ignore those last few sentences, if you will.

(Apropos of nothing: I know that I’m constitutionally mandated as a U.S. citizen to list Exile on Main Street as one of the five greatest rock records of all time, right alongside London Calling and Astral Weeks. Does it make me a musical Visigoth to suggest that Sticky Fingers holds up considerably better? Sticky may not hit the Exile highs of “Rocks Off” or “Loving Cup,” but it also doesn’t scrape the generic-blues lows of “Shake Your Hips,” “Ventilator Blues” or “I Just Want to See His Face.” Somebody needs to investigate this.)

Back to Mr. Richards. I remember years ago, when Circus or some similar magazine decided to assemble a “dream” rock band. For rhythm guitar, the mag chose Pete Townshend over Keith, a decision that one, made little sense (Pete would no sooner play in a two-axe band than share songwriting royalties with Roger Daltrey and/or the Entwistle estate) and two, enraged Stones fans newly invigorated by the reclaiming-the-throne propulsion of Tattoo You. (More apropos-of-nothing-ishness: All you need to know about the delicate state of rock music at that point in time was the mag’s appointment of Foreigner’s Lou Gramm as lead vocalist.)

The pissy/prissy fans were right: Keith is perhaps the only “legendary” guitarist best relegated to a rhythm role. As a secondary player, Keith slashes and jousts with the best of ‘em; as a lead guitarist, he falls way short of even the preliminary requirements for Hendrixian beatification. The phrase has become way overused, but it’ll have to do: Keith Richards is merely a rock star.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-04 02:13 by wanderingspirit66.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:18

The legacy continues.

With the Europe tour pending, and in light of the the library fall and the brain surgery of recent pre-europe tour news items, I was waiting for something, but I didnt expect this.

Another one Mick will love hearing, no doubt.

Date: April 4, 2007 02:22

Mick sure loves the sound of dough incomin'...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:23

Rockman Wrote:
> Keith snorts ashes
> Mick sniffs gashes........

LOL Rockie. Mick better be careful. Keith might mistake L'wren for a line of blow and snort her.

Either that or he might mistake her for a straw.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-04 02:32 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:23

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Maybe they should add a nose above the tongue.
> winking smiley
>
> Another chapter in the (sometimes self-created)
> legend. Get a grip. What does it matter?

Or no nose!!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:25

In the window
There's a friend you had
With a head full of dad
With a head full of dad

Just another mad mad day
snorting Bert

Date: April 4, 2007 02:41

Or Grace Slick new anthem:
Feeeeeeeed your heeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
With yeeeeeeeer dddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:52

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> We'll never know whether or not the snorting took
> place and the truth of it actually doesn't matter
> one bit.
>
> This is just a big, stupid, needless embarrassment
> for the Stones. If Jagger or Charlie were to find
> themselves on the fence doing about an album or a
> tour, the potential for this kind of pickled
> nonsense--to say nothing of real problems--could
> easily be the deciding factor in putting the band
> to bed.
>
> Remember when Jagger was touring with Joe Satriani
> and Keith was the one protecting the reputation of
> the Stones? My how time flies...

it was a joke! lighten up! I am really shocked on how serious people are taking this.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 4, 2007 02:57

True or not, if its a joke, its in exceedingly bad taste....

JR

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 4, 2007 03:07

Next time he does "Before They Make Me Run" in his set, he should add some lyrics: Booze and pills and powders, and your dad's ashes, you gotta choose your medicine . . .

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: April 4, 2007 03:10

<<I am willing to bet it is just Keith humor, remember the notorious "I get my blood changed in Switzerland" one? some others as well. He probably is just testing peoples gullibility.>>

That's how I read it as well. Keith is probably sitting at home laughing his head off at the publicity he's getting over this statement.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 4, 2007 03:12

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> keefriff99:
> "Republican cyber-scumbag Matt Drudge has it
> highlighted in red on his influential little
> site,
> which means millions of people will read it.
>
> www.drudgereport.com
>
> The wingnuts will be outraged, OUTRAGED, that
> people are snorting drugs...popping pills, a'la
> Rush "Dr. Feelgood" Limboo, is the way to go for
> them."
> --------------------------------------------------
> ------
>
> - Admit its interesting to see how things are
> walkin thru a canonizationing
> process when it comes to tabloids & stuff...
>
> But the politician who puts this up like some kind
> of fact,
> he carries a HUGE responsibility.
>
> Anyone else upset and worried.. ?
>
> You write to: DRUDGE@DRUDGEREPORT.COM (capital
> letters work thru Msn)
> Give them hell!

Well, it's certainly a newsworthy story simply for shock value, and Drudge is simply a news aggregator site.

All I'm saying is that since it's on Drudge, practically EVERYONE on the planet will hear this story.

MSNBC's Keith Olbermann has already mentioned it and will certainly have some jokes ready at his expense.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: April 4, 2007 03:23

left and right will be all over this. cut the right wing bs. this goes beyond these silly politics! cheers

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 4, 2007 03:26

Of course he was kidding!!! Just like @#$%& was out to get him when he was born...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 4, 2007 03:57

There you have it - its all ready in the uncylopedia.
right at the bottom.

[uncyclopedia.org]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 4, 2007 04:03

spirit66 wrote:

I know that I’m constitutionally mandated as a U.S. citizen to list Exile on Main Street as one of the five greatest rock records of all time, right alongside London Calling and Astral Weeks.

Way OT here, but I think Astral Weeks pales in comparison to Moondance and several other Vans. Maybe the same with (don't shoot) Exile. Sure, It's great, but there are some not so bright moments too. I'll take Sticky or LIB. I out, 'Mo.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: April 4, 2007 04:04

The Ironic Mr Richards strikes again Lol.

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: April 4, 2007 04:29

I think it's funny as hell.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: April 4, 2007 05:01

I'm going to have a few orange soda & vodkas & forget about it

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 4, 2007 05:25

..... whats it gonna be keith,, stop drinkin' or stop talkin' ?? ? ..

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 4, 2007 05:42

Did he say this on April 1st?? God, I hope so

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 4, 2007 05:44

did leno say anything monday nite

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 4, 2007 05:59

this is really strange, not something I would do. But I cant see how its WRONG. I mean ,theres a lot worse things a person could do. He didnt hurt anyone

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 4, 2007 07:18

melillo Wrote:
> did leno say anything monday nite

Yes. He relayed the story during his monologue. For the punchline he said; "Well we all grieve in different ways".

I seriously hope it turns out that Keith was just joking. Can't imagine him saying anything like that if it were true. My guess is that he was joking when he said it.

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: April 4, 2007 08:23

Truly.... this questionaire is set to "You Might be a Redneck"...

If you believe:

1) That a Guy who owns an 8 figure mansion in Weston, CT is going to "grind up some ashes and snort them"

2) That a guy who fronts a band that just grossed $400,000,000 in the past 2 years is going to "grind up some ashes and snort them"

3) That a guy who jets around the world in one of the most luxurious personal jets made is going to "grind up some ashes and snort them"

THEN... You must be gullible !!

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 4, 2007 08:29

I just thought it was funny when I heard it! I was only disappointed that Keith would be using coke again. That is definitely NOT funny. But we all know Keith says all kinds of crap that's not true.

Like: running through the streets of NYC with a gun trying to get John Lennon's killer, or how about meeting Muddy Waters painting the ceiling of Chess Studios with white paint dripping down his black face, or @#$%& dropping bombs on him during the war, Andrew locking him and Mick in a room til they wrote a song, or how about getting his blood changed to kick junk! Just another dreamed-up memory for Keith.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: April 4, 2007 08:41

Ha ha ha! Just his way of saying to the silly reporter from the NME - here representing the scandal press - that he's f***ing tired of having questions like: What's the strangest drug, the best drug etc you've taken? KR is about so much more than drugs - and his sense of humour and urge to sc**w the journalists is just incredible. What shocks me is how many people on this board who are "morally indignated" by the fact that he says he's done blow in the not so distant past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-04 13:12 by Tralala.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home