Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Mott the Hoople and Ian Hunter
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 15, 2007 01:32

I'm going to Ian Hunter tomorrow night in San Francisco. It's actually a double bill with The Zombies. Has anybody else heard about this show. Any Ian Hunter fans on here? I'm a big Ian Hunter fan. From the Mott the Hoople days through his solo stuff. But I have never seen him. From what little I could tell from the limited info about him,is it doesn't look like he's toured much lately. I can't find any recent setlists.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-17 13:36 by bv.

Re: OT: Ian Hunter
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 15, 2007 02:47

The Clash would not be possible without Ian.

Sony Music Japan reissued Mott collection with paper sleeve jacket last year.
[www.sonymusic.co.jp]
As they were sold out very soon, fans who couldn't get them lamented.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 15, 2007 02:54

i think mott the hoople one of the very most important bands in the entire genre...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 15, 2007 02:55

I had almost forgotten about Ian Hunter.

Let us know how the show went.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 15, 2007 03:09

I saw Ian Hunter about a zillion time...with Mott, etc...best shows were with Mick Ronson....wow...they Killed...

JR

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: March 15, 2007 04:11

only saw him once with Mott back in 1970 or 71 backin up Edgar Winter , he used dis H guitar

pics from 1975 circus mag.

Date: March 15, 2007 04:12

Yeah your right. The albums he did with Mick Ronson were great. Never Alone With A Schizophrenic is not only a great album title but killer musicly as well. The funny thing about this bill is that I think The Zombies headline with Ia n Hunter Co-Headline and the opening act is,The Charms............No,no relation to yours truly.

Date: March 15, 2007 04:16

Cool pics chippy. Yeah evidently he hasn't toured much in recent years. But he has a new album coming out in may and is just doi9ng a couple of shows in Cal. before touring in the UK and Norway later this year.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 15, 2007 04:35

Yeah, I saw Mott a few times - great shows.... I met Hunter once at Tower Records and he was very nice, no gigantic ego or anything, had him auto one of his solo albums for me, might have been "Never Alone..." I have all of his/Mott's stuff and all my vinyl is so put away I haven't seen it since my CD collection started to get serious almost 2 decades ago.

I think one of the Santa Monica Civic shows had AEROSMITH as the opening act with their first 2 albums as all that was out at the time. We had never heard of them but they blew me and my friends away, we all agreed they were gonna get much bigger - ha, little did we know......

Should be a good show, set list would be easy to kind of figure out if you had all the albums in front of you - ALL THE WAY FROM (TO?) MEMPHIS, ALL THE YOUNG DUDES, etc etc.....I can't even remember....go on AMAZON and see if there's a Greatest Hits - there's your set list.....

Date: March 15, 2007 04:42

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, I saw Mott a few times - great shows.... I
> met Hunter once at Tower Records and he was very
> nice, no gigantic ego or anything, had him auto
> one of his solo albums for me, might have been
> "Never Alone..." I have all of his/Mott's stuff
> and all my vinyl is so put away I haven't seen it
> since my CD collection started to get serious
> almost 2 decades ago.
>
> I think one of the Santa Monica Civic shows had
> AEROSMITH as the opening act with their first 2
> albums as all that was out at the time. We had
> never heard of them but they blew me and my
> friends away, we all agreed they were gonna get
> much bigger - ha, little did we know......
>
> Should be a good show, set list would be easy to
> kind of figure out if you had all the albums in
> front of you - ALL THE WAY FROM (TO?) MEMPHIS, ALL
> THE YOUNG DUDES, etc etc.....I can't even
> remember....go on AMAZON and see if there's a
> Greatest Hits - there's your set list.....

Yeah thanks Helter. I actually went to the Ian Hunter message board(took about 5 secs). and they were only speculating about stuff post 1990. Who the F cares? But it doesn't look like he's toured in about 2 years and tonight is his first gig of 5 in a row and the first since June.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 15, 2007 06:58

I'm going to the Zombies/Hunter show tomorrow nite....they play tonight, wednesday 65 miles north of here in Healdsburg....part of "Little Steven's Underground Road Show"...Ian hasn't played the bay area in a long time...Mott played Winterland around 73...Hunter returned with Ronson a few years later to play Berkeley Community Theatre...Ian visited again in the mid 80's to play a gig at a small bar/club called the Oasis...now gone but was across the street from SLIM's...his resume is quite stunning...he has played/recorded with more musicians that you would ever believe...you can find some great fan websites if you surf around..btw, he found that 'H' guitar at a pawn shop in the Mission district the day MOTT played Winterland in 73...peter

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 15, 2007 11:00

Ian is one of the truly great songwriters. A British Bob Dylan.

Never Alone With a Schizo is a classic. Check out the playing of Mick Ronson (a one time contender to take Mick Taylor's place in the Stones) and Jaco Pastorius. Some great songs - Apathy For the Devil, God & It Ain't Easy.

BTW, I read that Ian bought that H shaped guitar in a second hand shop in the Southern U.S. (New Orleans I think). He said it looked great but sounded shitty and was hard to keep in tune.

Enjoy Ian's show. Hope he plays All The Young Dudes.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: March 15, 2007 14:12

I saw Ian Hunter a few years ago in L.A. --twice, actually, as he did a free show at Amoeba Music in addition to a performance at the Key Club. Both performances were terrific and his recent album Rant is a gem.

I don't know if I'm going to see him with the Zombies at the Henry Fonda Theatre in L.A. on Friday. Tickets are pricey ($45). I wish I had more money.

I've also seen the Zombies recently. Another enjoyable show. It's a good double bill; I just can't afford it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 16, 2007 03:20

big fan... saw him at the Bowery Ballroom in 2000, I think before his last album of new songs, Rant. It was a great show. Even he seemed surprised at the energy of the crowd.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 16, 2007 10:15

I have waited for this thread. O, man, O, man grinning smiley

Date: March 18, 2007 07:01

Well I'm sorry to say that I was a little underwhelmed by Ian Hunter. OK,nothing great. He opened with once bitten. Not a bad idea. But he then did several unfamiliar songs before finishing with 3,4 more familiar ones. But still he played about an hour. Then came The Zombies. Again. Ok,not great. Biggest selling point for me was the venue. The Fillmore in San Francisco. A nice small venue with good site lines.

But things should pick up Sun. night. Going to see Eric Clapton,with Robert Cray opening.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 18, 2007 14:31

Growing up--Mott the Hoople Live was one of my most-played records. Band was already defunct by then but I saw Ian Hunter live 2x in the mid '80's---funny thing is he opened with Once Bitten each time--guess some things do not change. lol Back then, he had a really good guitar player, whose name escapes me. Very tall guy who played a strat and later had his own hit.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: March 18, 2007 14:38

He has derseved much more success. A pity. Great musician!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 18, 2007 17:21

It's a shame that the Hunter/Ronson Band didn't take off, because Ian's first solo album ("Ian Hunter") with "Once Bitten Twice Shy" is just great. They toured, but never even made it to the West Coast. I seem to recall that the shows they did play weren't sellouts due to bad promotion, or even the recession going on at the time. Both of them had their own managers, and that created some stress, enough for Ronno to split and go play with The Rolling Thunder Revue, then produce Roger McGuinn's Cardiff Rose..and then he just kind of got lost for awhile.

About a year after "Ian Hunter" was released (and Ronson was gone) "Who Do You Love" went into heavy rotation on LA rock radio. It took a whole year for people to wake up to it. The same thing happened to the title track of his next album, "All American Alien Boy." They started playing it a lot a year after it was releaased! (Were his people just lazy when it came to mailing promo copies to the radio stations??) It was like the Ian Hunter Curse or something...recognition too late to get any momentum going.

By the time he and Ronson reunited four years later they made another great album that enjoyed more success, but at that point the musical landscape had changed. The punk/new wave thing had made them the Old Guard. Had they stayed together in '75, they could have ruled the rock world.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-18 19:43 by loog droog.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:08

sorry...loog...don't know where you get your info but Ian Hunter played in SF with Ronson 2-3 times...this info is available if you do the research...I was there.....peter

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:16

[www.ianhunter.com]

huge influence to so many as a songwriter...from pathos soaked ballads to outrageous operatic hard rockers...even barry manilow of all people, had a hit with "ships"...
enjoyed reading this quick and informative link, and sharing it here.

OT: Mott the Hoople and Ian Hunter
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 10, 2021 00:48

Mott the Hoople "Mott" circa 1973

Amazing album and one of the best Brit rock albums of the era - Drivin' Sister, All the Way From Memphis, I Wish I was Your Mother- Mott on the verge of breaking through to the top tier. Far superior sound to the spindly Bowie production on "All the Youg Dudes". Then Mick Ralphs leaves for Bad Company and the momentum is lost. Any fans of this classic here on IORR?
Heres a great clip of the Ralphs era band miming with live vocals on something called Hits A Go Go. For a brief moment I thought they might give the Stones a run for their money...

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-17 13:36 by bv.

Re: OT: Mott the Hoople "Mott" circa 1973
Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 10, 2021 00:52

My uncle got me into this band. He was 5 years older than me and Mott the Hoople was the first album I ever bought. Marionette, Born Late ‘58…I loved that record.

They were supposed to play here and play that album back to front in 2019 but they cancelled the tour.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 10, 2021 01:10

Great band. As a songwriter, Ian Hunter is in the same league as Dylan.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 10, 2021 02:13

I used to love Mott. The campiness. The weird English accents (to my California ears). Ian Hunter was a pretty good lyricist. The band's cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane" is the best version of that song ever recorded. And you're right, "Mott" is a little masterpiece. "Drivin' Sister" is a blistering rock song, a genuine classic. I used to put it on mix tapes and people who heard the tapes always asked (in a good way), "What's that?"

My favorite Mott song is "Saturday Gigs."

Mick Jones of the Clash was a big Mott fan. He was part of a group of fans called "Mott's Lot" that used to follow the band around England. If you listen closely to the vocal harmonies in Clash songs you can hear strains of Mott. Jones (along with Mick Ronson) produced Ian Hunter's 1981 album "Short Back 'n'Sides."

Ian Hunter wrote a memoir in 1974 called "Diary of a Rock Star." It is highly recommended. Oh, the sleaze!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 02:20 by Pietro.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 10, 2021 04:23

Ladies & Gentlemen, THE GOLDEN AGE OF ROCK & ROLL!!!!!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: August 10, 2021 04:45

roryfaninva
Amazing album and one of the best Brit rock albums of the era - Drivin' Sister, All the Way From Memphis, I Wish I was Your Mother- Mott on the verge of breaking through to the top tier. Far superior sound to the spindly Bowie production on "All the Youg Dudes". Then Mick Ralphs leaves for Bad Company and the momentum is lost. Any fans of this classic here on IORR?
Heres a great clip of the Ralphs era band miming with live vocals on something called Hits A Go Go. For a brief moment I thought they might give the Stones a run for their money...

video: [www.youtube.com]

Brain Capers was always my favorite. I liked them less the more glam and campy they became. The line up with Mick Ralphs and Verden Allen was the best in my opinion. I didn't care much for album with Luther Grosvenor AKA Ariel Bender.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 04:50 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 10, 2021 05:57

I adore Mott The Hoople and Mott.
Hunter's solo work too.
I'm a stone gone fan, very much influenced and inspired by them on a lot of levels.
I'm just Stone gone crazy in love with this band since a teenager.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 10, 2021 07:04

I just got Ian's "Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Star" book... We're going away next month, this will be my vacation read!

Date: August 10, 2021 07:45

Love it, love Hunter!

However, The Hoople is a great album, too, even though Ralphs had left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 09:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home