Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hidden Gem: Phoenix Nov 11, 1969
Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: February 15, 2007 15:05

Just listened to this show today - wow - what a show...unfortunately incomplete.
I hear this show was recorded by the same guys who did the Oakland & San Diego shows ?
This show is up there with the best aud rec. from the Tour, and it's also an excellent performance.

Put it on and play it loud !!

Re: Hidden Gem: Phoenix Nov 11, 1969
Date: February 15, 2007 18:12

Where can we get it - Hot Stuff?

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 15, 2007 18:31

Yeah, the same guy did all the west coast shows. I used to be really good friends with his ex -girlfriend Andrea but never met him. She told me he used a Niagra reel to reel portable recorder and a shotgun mic - sounds like it, San Diego is excellent.....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 15, 2007 19:10

love this one, found it in the village around ten years ago, play it more than any other 69 show in my collection, little heavy on the bass but still a great listen

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 15, 2007 19:25

Would anyone care to trade for a copy? I don't have this show and would love to have it! Drop us a line please!

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: February 15, 2007 20:28

One of the few ´69 shows where they played Gimme Shelter.
I´ll never understand why they didn´t play that song at every show in 1969...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: February 15, 2007 22:33

ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would anyone care to trade for a copy? I don't
> have this show and would love to have it! Drop us
> a line please!

DUDE, I SENT YOU AN EMAIL AND WHEN YOU REPLY W/YOUR ADDRESS I'LL BURN YOU MY COPY. HAPPY ST. VALENTINES DAY

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 16, 2007 00:32

A thousand thanks! I'll respond to your e-mail when I get home (Can't access my home account work) Let us know if there is something you are looking for and I'll see if I have it!

Posted by: KWhinos ()
Date: February 16, 2007 01:22

I would also like to trade for this if possible. KWhinos@aol.com

Date: February 16, 2007 03:20

Tornandfrayed Wrote:
> One of the few ´69 shows where they played Gimme
> Shelter.
> I´ll never understand why they didn´t play that
> song at every show in 1969...

yes i agree. Listen to this version of GS & Altamont...it was one of their better tunes....plus it was new so they would have enjoyed it alot.
Maybe Taylor said to the band - I have nothing to do during this song smiling smiley

It is a little bass-heavy....

What is the BEST source for this show ?

Has there been any lower-gen tapes surface recently ?

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: February 16, 2007 03:49

Pretty Certain it is the VGP version (at least that is the only version Ive ever heard). Would love to hear an upgraded version!!!

It was Released by VGP as both a 1CD "Gathering Madness" (first) and later as a 2CD issue "Sky Pilots" (the latter obviously also containing another show....a 1970 concert).

Speaking of which, does anyone know why VGP would pick either of those titles? I can almost figure out "Gathering Madness" as it was still the first week of the 69 tour as things started to "take shape" perhaps but what does "Sky Pilots" have to do with anything Stones related? Does anyone out there have an idea? Hell sounds like a good one for a NEW topic/thread;-)))

Posted by: Haristone ()
Date: February 16, 2007 04:08

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Yeah, the same guy did all the west coast shows. I
> used to be really good friends with his ex
> -girlfriend Andrea but never met him. She told me
> he used a Niagra reel to reel portable recorder
> and a shotgun mic - sounds like it, San Diego is
> excellent.....

1 - you don't tell us lies and you're able to send us 1st or 2nd gen tape to collectors.

2 - you can't - i'm tired of these people who know somebody who know somebody who konwo somebody but unable to provide a new interesting tape.

is your andrea the same as the andrea waters ???

sorry for my language i'm not english nor american.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 16, 2007 14:30

This is MANY years ago Haristone. Andrea married a guy named Matt. A few years later Springsteen and Cheap Trick(in partnership with Columbia Records) sued them for manufacturing and selling bootlegs. It was a big deal, even Rolling Stone had a half page article on all this and how their little indie record store was a big distibrution center, on and on.... the funny thing is I never had any idea how deep they were into all this. I just know they were super big Stones fans, following them all around on tours. Last I talked to her was when the 1989 tour was in town and she was raving about the late 60's "psycedelic section" she called it (PAINT IT BLACK, 2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME, SYMPATHY, GIMME SHELTER).I remember her acting more and more nervous as the years went by FLASH FORWARD - I bought a book on the history of bootlegs at Tower Records am at home reading it when Andrea's name comes up and it turns out she was the notorious bootlegger VICKI VINYL (I believe was her Bootlegging name). Kinda blew me away, to say the least - I never had a clue how deep she was into it all. I'm sure her boyfriend was the guy who recorded the 69 west coast shows. She kept so much secret so if she was gonna tell me that she sure wasn't gonna lie. As far as her last name it's in the bootleg book but I can't remember it now - they shut down the shop and moved out of town long ago......

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 16, 2007 18:11

I don't remember this being a particularly good recording, but for the two acoustic blues which come through very nicely. Doesn't Jagger blame his voice on the "desert?" This was the 7th show in 5 days. No wonder. I'll have to re-visit this one again

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: February 16, 2007 19:31

Vicky Vinyl? Way to go! Things were so much more fun in those days, the 60s & 70s I mean. But maybe it's because I'm pushing 50 years old that I'm nostalgic. Just more relaxed and fun. No gun culture, better music, better drugs, better stoned out rockstars. Stones concerts were like the holy grail, not the Las Vegas two hundred backup musicians they are now. Guess I better just jump in my grave and close my mouth, eh?

Date: February 17, 2007 04:43

pmk251 Wrote:
Doesn't Jagger blame his voice on the "desert?"

correct, although his voice is at least in tune !

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 17, 2007 04:45

its not a very good recording, its just that the show is a very good one, its better quality than miami 69 i would say

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home