Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Who - Live
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 14, 2007 03:54

I am going to see The Who next Fri.in Reno. This is the first time in many years that I've seen The Who. I know there has been reviews of the current tour on here. But I confess I did not pay close attention to those. I know reviews have been mixed in general. I would be interested in hearing from those who have seen them recently.
Also I noticed on thier tour schedule, this the first show on the second leg of the american tour. They have not played in a couple monthes. I know they just recently announced a European summer tour. But since they are less than two weeks away from resuming the tour,I was wondering if they were rehearsing any different material than what's been played so far. I know on IORR there is always reports of songs the stones rehearse. Does anybody know if their are simialer reports of Who rehearsals?

Thanks for any info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-14 03:55 by sweetcharmedlife.

Re: OT: The Who - Live
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 14, 2007 05:05

I'll be seeing them in Long Beach, CA on the 26th, and have many of the same questions as you.
I haven't seen them since 1982 when the Clash opened for them. While the Who were great that night,
I have to admit the Clash put on a better show.

Date: February 14, 2007 05:47

Well I will be sure and post a review Hairball.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 14, 2007 05:47

They play quite a few songs off of the new dvd, Endless Wire.
The keyboard player, Rabbit, his wife has been very ill, so replaced by the keyboard tech, which makes some difference.
Entwistle is a definite loss.
Zak is great.
Pete and Roger still sound good.
They waited too long into the show to get loud.
I'll go again before the tour is over.

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: February 17, 2007 03:58

Saw them in Boston back in December. Last time before then had been 1981, Shea Stadium. I had long been reluctant to see them since then, preferring to remember them as they were when I first saw them in 1969 at the Fillmore East. But, this past fall, I'd spoken with people at stones shows who had just seen them and had good things to say, so I thought I should give them another try. They certainly had kicked ass in the Concert For NY back in 2001.

As they opened with "I Can't explain" and followed with "Anyway, Anyhow" and then "The Seeker", I was carried back to another time, with a performance that still was powerful. They played a fair number of their new songs, some I like better than others, a few from "Who's Next" (Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, My Wife?), a half hour or so of Tommy medley, and a few from the 1980's that I could do without (Who are You?, Eminence Front). I would have gladly traded both of those for either Young Man Blues or Summertime Blues, but overall it was a great show. Pretty loud, but not as loud as 1969.

Posted by: Forty Niks ()
Date: February 17, 2007 04:01

would that the subject had been OT: The Who - Dead.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 17, 2007 05:12

Forty Niks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> would that the subject had been OT: The Who -
> Dead.

Forty Niks,

Not even. If you recall, they put on the best performance of anyone at the concert for New York after 9/11. They still sounded good in '02 and '04, so if they're fading, it's only now, and still worth a ticket.

As I'm sure you are aware, a lot of people write off the Stones as dead and say they need to hang it up, and all (or at least most) of us, me included, on this board think those critical of the Stones because of their age and whatever else are full of sh*t. So, don't write off The Who so fast, they still rock and are one of the all-time greatest R&R bands; they helped define the music. One of the reasons we go to the Stones is to re-live the past, not just for what they are doing today. Long Live Rock!!!

Date: February 17, 2007 05:38

Thanks guys. I have to say. I am looking forward to this. I bought a ticket on an impulse when I heard they were playing in Reno. But like I said, it's been many years since I have seen them. Following the Who up, with Bob Seger the next night in Oakland. Something I've never done before. See two different artists in two different cities on back to back nights. It's gonna be a "Rock & Roll Weekend".

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 17, 2007 06:32

I would not expect a set list change since their last show in December 2006.

Posted by: Bomber ()
Date: February 17, 2007 06:39

Have seen them multiple times on this tour. The last leg they really hit their stride and are sounding fantastic. Rabbit should beback too.

Date: February 17, 2007 07:39

Thanks train. Not necesarily a bad setlist to begin with. Plus they are playing a small market. Probably a pretty safe set list. But still worth a look.

Posted by: chrisking ()
Date: February 17, 2007 12:23

I saw them in november in san jose for the 5th time since 2000. they were amazing and hopefully it will blow u away

Date: February 17, 2007 12:28

If you want full details of the setlists from the last leg of the U.S. tour in 2006, go here -
[www.kathyszaksite.com]

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 17, 2007 13:51

Pete is still the best guitarist on the planet. Too many boring new acoustic numbers, but well worth seeing and the show still has moments of greatness that flash back to the glory days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home