Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Police at the Grammys tonight
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 12, 2007 21:32

the real story of the night was the dixie chicks; great performance...good album with great musicians; writing or co-writing all their own stuff
they won a grammy for each of the 5 fields they were nominated in...

February 12, 2007
UNBELIEVABLE NIGHT at the Grammy Awards!

UNBELIEVABLE NIGHT! Dixie Chicks went five for five at the 29th Annual Grammy Awards on Feb 11 winning the big three general categories: Album of the Year, Record of the Year and Song of the Year, as well as Best Country Album and Best Country Performance By a Duo or Group. Last minute TV note: On the day after their Grammy sweep, VH1 has decided to re-air Dixie Chicks' Storytellers at 3pm eastern/pacific (Mon Feb 12.)

this is unprecedented for a female act of any act. historic because without zero country music airplay and much disdain...they went platinum immediately and won every award imaginable, even in the 'country' field that had abandoned them...
they are truly excellent multi-musicians...totally the real deal...

i don't personally give the grammys all that much respect but to the culture at large they are the oscars of the music world...what these women did, to show solidarity within the group in the face of much hatred and blackballing...to stay together; to keep their families together (they are all moms too)...and to stand on top of the business with an ARTISTIC project that has now been ratified by the industry...is just wonderful...
u go girls...amazing...
eat that clear channel and other political monsters on our national dance floor...on the next morning after music's biggest award event, they can't play the best album of the year, the best country album of the year, the best record of the year, the best whatever else there was to win award....

strong sweet women, gracious and brilliant performers...just taught the business a thing or two about class, solidarity, free expression...in the face of great murderous hatred and an orchestrated blackout that wiped them from the radio overnight...for making a mild statement of concern, (libby trial in progress, make your own connections)...
in london england...tellin' the world...somethin's fishy goin' on...
and then not backing down...ever.
these girls are international treasure, american heros...sexy, sweet, gracious and a total blast live...

truth justice and the american way...
that's what they said superman was all about in those old b&w tv shows a lot of us grew up with, from many generations in syndication...
chicks are superman...wonder woman, and all those hot x woman with superpowers all at the same time, all rolled together...

screw the police...these girls never broke up or left the road or stopped supporting one another; they never even left hit radio until they were thrown off for suggesting the truth in a time of great lies, smoke and confusion...emily always so gracious and articulate...
what a triump; little girls and boys all over the world are taking notice.
and that is a more positive and cuturally resonant story, and force, than practically all the bonos and stings and endless professional advocats...

i think the actual country audience...and for sure the main country honchos...
must know...deep down...those that trashed them look like tools...and they are now in a position
where they can't promote or get any resudiual or peripheral bucks or promotion from the biggest country artists in the world...
that there is irony...
and it's delicious.

what a great example of fine people...what great music...rick rubin shows himself to be the sensitive cat he is...the story of the grammy's last night was the chix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-12 21:35 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 12, 2007 21:37

load of middle of the road cack more like

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 12, 2007 21:39

Beely, are you Helter's alter ego?

That is a serious question, no offense. none intended at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-12 21:41 by Glass Slide.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 12, 2007 21:41

retired_dog, I wouldn't call those Warhorses. I would compare that list of songs to Stones songs like ALL DOWN THE LINE, RESPECTABLE, SAINT OF ME, Etc (except not as good of course) OK, throw "MAGIC" in as the 4th Warhorse... They could do a solid 2 hour show with their song list BUT there's NO WAY they could do another solid 2 hour show with a second batch of non over lapping songs. The STONES could put3 or 4 setlists together never repeating one song, so could U2 and Prince....

300 MILLION dollars? OMG, the public is just totally stupid !!!......

OK, I'll break down - The POLICE are B LEVEL - sorry........

Date: February 12, 2007 21:49

i like helter's posts a lot slide...and yours...
many here know i'm totally my own person...i don't hide my email...
they know where i am geographically and personally...
and u know where i am as a person cause i always just post extemporaneously from the heart if something moves me to pipe up...
some long timers here have my personal addie and phone and know me purty well by now...i loved the brain and i love the skelter...but we've never been in lock step with each other about different matters of opinion...

i'm not offended; i love skelter's fire...but seriously, and thank you for mentioning it, seriously, i am not taking offense...but i don't understand exactly why you'd suggest i'm 'alter ego' or less real than you or anyone else here,
as i am an individual, like everyone else here...
i don't have multiple names or any of that...haven't had to...as i've not been banned (yet)...tho i do get yelled at every now and again...

and the chix story is totally world wide...check every paper in the world today...every single one!!!! i mean you'd have to be a little behind the times to NOT get the triumph here...there isn't one news source in the world, wacky and controlled as most of them are, that has missed this...it is huge news in the states...
what a great single; what a great statement; what a great band.

i didn't read everything on this thread because it wasn't holding me...
so i'm not sure why you would bring such a thing up...

this chick triumph actually deserves it's own thread...but i didn't start one...cause i don't think peeps here care that much about the chix;
but those that do not, are missing the boat like hugely...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-12 21:54 by Beelyboy.

STING - back but not wanted
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 12, 2007 21:55

Glass Slide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, Helter---you, as a Stones fan, take "pride" in
> the fact that the Stones were sponsored by
> Ameriquest? How about "Radio Shack"?
>
> Just wondering.........

I don't know about stuff like that cause NO SECURITY was my last live Stones show - These days I watch the DVD's. When they start asking for $300 or $400 that's when I walk - ain't worth it, TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION

Re: STING - back but not wanted
Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 12, 2007 21:58

Fair enough. The prices are more than a little out of control. The crazy thing is that w/o corporate sponsorship, they would probably be higher.

Date: February 12, 2007 22:05

tickets are $50 to $225
Stadiums Arenas and some Festivals starting May

Some proceeds go to Wateraid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-12 22:10 by Donkey Girl Scout.

Date: February 12, 2007 22:13

cnn:

By Todd Leopold
CNN
Adjust font size:
(CNN) -- The Dixie Chicks sang "Not Ready to Make Nice," but the Grammy Awards were certainly ready to make them winners, honoring the trio with five awards Sunday night.

The Chicks, who ignited controversy four years ago when lead singer Natalie Maines criticized President Bush on the eve of the Iraq war, won all five of the awards for which they were nominated, including the big three: album of the year (for "Taking the Long Way"), song of the year and record of the year (both for "Not Ready to Make Nice").

"I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message," said Maines, paying tribute to other nominees with an oblique acknowledgement that the group was being honored as much for its stand as its music. "I'm very humbled." (Gallery: Grammy winners and the stars on the red carpet)

The Chicks had a difficult time in the years before recording "Taking the Long Way." Once the biggest-selling group in country music -- the Chicks' first two albums, "Wide Open Spaces" and "Fly" -- were two of the most popular country albums ever -- they found themselves abandoned by country radio stations and pilloried by many fans for their political stand. Indeed, with "Taking the Long Way" the group members have said they don't consider themselves country artists anymore.

"We wouldn't have made this album without everything we went through, so we have no regrets," said band member Emily Robison. (Watch the Chicks talk about their big night )

Ironically, the Chicks' other awards included best country performance by a duo or group with vocal and best country album for "Taking the Long Way."

The Chicks -- Maines, Robison and Martie Maguire -- shared the song of the year award with co-writer Dan Wilson, formerly of Semisonic and Trip Shakespeare. "Taking the Long Way's" producer, the versatile Rick Rubin, won the producer of the year award -- his first after five nominations.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 12, 2007 22:14

Is this a DC board? Enough about 'em already.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 12, 2007 22:19

Agreed Elmo. They wouldnt have won diddly had they not been anti-Bush anyway. Plus the Grammies is a FARCE anyway!!!

Date: February 12, 2007 22:29

elmo, with all the OT groups discussed endlessly on threads here...
seriously dozens all the time...why would this one band rankle you?
u go girls...carrying a strong message to artists everywhere...
this is a big story about a band of road-dogs who made it the hard way...
...and who showed more rock and roll balz than 9/10 of the performance outfits putting themselves and their music out there and on the line.

they have never made a studio album that didn't win best album of the year...
wow.

apparently clear channel has not banned them from the forum, yet.
i could name you 5 bands i think are minor embarassments who get talked about frequently here...but everyone has their own tastes...i'm a rocker who is a huge country music fan...always have been...these girls transcended genre, stayed true to their roots, themselves and their music...
the studio band had great keyboardist from petty and the heartbreakers, that wonderful drummer!! from the peppaz (a band i hear about here all the time and don't personally find a major phenom in my own chosen listenings...live and let live)
they write their own stuff, get soulful co-writers (who they very generously insisted come up and get center stage last night)...a lot of bands don't do that...ever...
another triumph of sensitivity and vision that rick rubin has facilitated...
his best producer grammy for 'taking the long road' should also be acknowledged here for obvious reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-12 22:31 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 13, 2007 01:26

Gazza Wrote:
> angee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
> Havent seen the Grammys yet as it wasnt shown
> here, but I always thought the whole point of the
> show was to reward musical achievements over the
> last year - not provide a band who havent actually
> recorded anything during that period with a free
> worldwide plug for their upcoming reunion tour. Is
> that not unprecedented?

Gazza,in recent years the Grammy's have been more and more about live performances than awards. The goal being higher TV ratings. Out of literally about 107 grammy's awarded,only about 18 were given out on TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-13 02:20 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 13, 2007 01:51

Yeah, I'm aware theres a shitload of awards in bizarre categories (Best Polka record, anyone?)..just figured that as its supposed to honour the musical achievements of the last year that any of the live acts invited to perform would have some relevance to the ceremony itself. I remember that Joe Strummer Tribute from about 4 years ago, but even that had some relevance as it was honouring a recently deceased artist.

Anyway, it was a quite odd opening for sure. Could have understood it had the Police been there for some kind of lifetime achievement award (unlikely I know) but as they werent it just seems like the event was used as a free ad. for their tour and upcoming greatest hits record.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 13, 2007 02:26

Here is another bizarre moment from the Grammy's last night. Stevie Wonder & Tony Bennet winning for some type of best collaboration for re-doing an Stevie song. Stevie speaks first. Gets all choked up dedicating the Grammy to his mother who recently passed away. Then Tony steps up and promptly thanks his"best corporate sponser ever" Target. LOL. You are never too old to whore yourself out.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 13, 2007 02:39

Here's another great old clip from the Police:

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 13, 2007 04:07

Beelyboy Wrote:
> editing out a police slam here...
> they are not my personal cup of tea...
>
> LOVED the dixie chicks ...
> that sparkling telecaster looked and sounded
> great...
> natalie dyed her hair brown....nice.
> ______
> just read in the online news that chix won 3
> grammys tonite...
> ----aw, that's great....i don't think i can stand
> to watch anymore of the show tho...i would love to
> see them accept an award but...the show is kinda
> lame this year ain't it?

The dark haired one lives in my neighborhood....I see her, her husband and kid from time to time....not lately though

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: February 13, 2007 11:01

<now that's what I call GROWTH.>

I don't need growth from a band that hasn't been active for 23 years. I need good music, and from what I heard at the Grammys, they still got it.

What we really don't need is decline, which is exactly what you get from most of the other "come back-bands".

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: February 13, 2007 16:26

The Police are scheduled to perform at this year's Bonneroo Festival in Manchester [Tennessee].
One of our local tv stations hailed them as the biggest act to play there; hmmm, what about Dylan?
Personally, don't care much for Police, and Sting solo is waaaay overrated IMHO.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 13, 2007 17:00

I saw the Police back at their peak, and they were great live.

Best for me though was on their first 3 records...

I loved the way that they seemed to invert the idea of the power trio -- where the guitar was often the focal point... and the drums were in the "background", in some ways. The Police, on the other hand, often had the drums at the front musically... Copeland's drumming was incredible, yet quite understated... i.e, not flashy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-17 21:42 by schillid.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: February 13, 2007 18:05

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> Here is another bizarre moment from the Grammy's
> last night. Stevie Wonder & Tony Bennet winning
> for some type of best collaboration for re-doing
> an Stevie song. Stevie speaks first. Gets all
> choked up dedicating the Grammy to his mother who
> recently passed away. Then Tony steps up and
> promptly thanks his"best corporate sponser ever"
> Target. LOL. You are never too old to whore
> yourself out.

dude you're so out of line..but more importantly you need to learn how to spell the word "sponsor"

i'm pretty sure you must know not very much about tony bennett who is one of america's greatest vocalists....certainly in the same category as the sinatra's, haymes's, crosby's, torme's of the world....

whats so wrong about having target as your sponsor??? don't the rolling stones have plenty of sponsors??

a sponsor in today's world is merely someone that pays you money to allow you to do what you want to do....in a way its not so different from the days that mozart was "sponsored" by a german baron or supporter...

to say someone like tony bennett- who has never compromised his art (try listening to it before you speak)- and who is still going strong at 80 recording by all accounts a very strong album is "whoring" himself is just beyond the pale

Date: February 13, 2007 19:18

The DC don't bother me in the least. I just kinda ignore 'em.

What bothers me is people posting multi-paragraph rants about how great they (supposedly) are.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 13, 2007 19:34

i live in England. and i wouldn't know a Dixie Chick if i woke up and found her sitting on my bed. who are they ?

i just checked the newspapers and couldn't see anything about them

Date: February 13, 2007 19:35

3 talented, decent-looking, country girls.

They caused an uproar with their criticism of the war.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home