Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: VH Reunion Tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 25, 2007 22:20

According to billboard.com, after months of rumours, it appears that VH will be reuniting with DLR for a Summer tour, although it's still disappointing that bassist Michael Anthony won't be part of the tour. Ed's son Wolfie will be on bass.
This is the VH reunion that everyone was hoping for as opposed to the Van Hagar reunion of 2004. I'll definitely be going to see them. Wonder who will show up for their R'n'R Hall of Fame induction.

Re: OT: VH Reunion Tour
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 25, 2007 22:57

I wonder how much tickets will be? Here's a link to the story: [www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 25, 2007 22:58

what a joke, these guys hate each other. pure greed

Date: January 25, 2007 23:00

Ket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what a joke, these guys hate each other. pure
> greed

Doesn't bother me. I'm not crazy about the people I work with, but why do I keep going back? Pure greed. That and so I'll have enough money to pay my many bar tabs.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 25, 2007 23:07

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Ket Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > what a joke, these guys hate each other. pure
> > greed
>
> Doesn't bother me. I'm not crazy about the people
> I work with, but why do I keep going back? Pure
> greed. That and so I'll have enough money to pay
> my many bar tabs.

Good point ohnonotyouagain but I would assume these guys are very well off not stones rich but still very well off, so paying off bills is not much of an issue.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 25, 2007 23:07

DGA35 Wrote:
> This is the VH reunion that everyone was hoping
> for as opposed to the Van Hagar reunion of 2004.

No offense, but this is NOT the VH reunion that I was hoping for. No Michael Anthony in the band = no me in the seats.

Eddie still can't make it right, even with this half-baked lineup.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 25, 2007 23:15

I think tickets will top out at $150.00 and $45 for Lawns

Date: January 25, 2007 23:29

Hi Kurt. You're right about Michael Anthony, but still, it's better than no reunion with DLR at all! Guess it's kind of like Stones without Bill.
As I've said here before, if Mick and Keith can put aside differences and record/tour, then surely EVH and DLR can, too!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 25, 2007 23:40

This is no real "reunion" without Michael Anthony on bass. Wolfgang van Halen is only 15 or 16. That tour is a joke!!! The fans WANT TO SEE: Eddie van Halen, Alex van Halen, David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony on bass.

A great Van Halen reunion would be, when they perform as a 5-piece band with David and Sammy on vocals.

I remember, I've seen YES in 1991 as a 8-piece-band with 2 drummers, 2 guitar-players, 2 keyboarders and Jon Anderson on vocals and Chris Squire on bass. That was a great show.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 25, 2007 23:47

DGA35 Wrote:
>
> This is the VH reunion that everyone was hoping
> for as opposed to the Van Hagar reunion of 2004.

From what I remember,that was a very succesful tour. Their bast lineup and performances are with Sammy and Michael Anthony. DLR is a train wreck waiting to happen.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: January 26, 2007 00:03

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 21:22 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 26, 2007 00:08

I'd jump on it if it was with Anthony. Wolfie... what a joke. I can't believe DLR puts up with it.

Date: January 26, 2007 00:27

I agree that it is pretty crappy that they're leaving Anthony out. Wolfguy may be able to handle the bass, but I doubt he can duplicate Anthony's distinctive backup/harmony vocals.

Is Anthony officially in Hagar's touring band or does he just guest with them sometimes?

Date: January 26, 2007 01:42

Seems like Michael is touring with Sammy right now so neither are friendly with Eddie at this moment. They called themselves the "other half of Van Halen", to which Ed replied "Alex is the other half of Van Halen".
The 2004 tour was pretty successful but from what I read, promoters took a huge loss because they guaranteed VH quite a bit of money per show and some of the attendance figures in some cities were soft.
Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and we will see a reunion tour with the four original VH members.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: January 26, 2007 03:31

As I excited as I would otherwise be about DLR back in VH, replacing Michael Anthony with his son puits a COMPLETE damper on it. MA's harmonies were a HUGE part of the VH sound and to replace that with a 15 yr old who reportedly has been playing bass for less than a yr is a joke. It is also further proof that Eddie has really gone over the edge.

I read a transcript of a portion of the interview he did with Stern and could not believe some of the drivel coming out of his mouth---ie; he got cancer from a metal pick, not from 40 yrs of smoking. Theory might be plausible but for the fact that he never used a metal pick---every interview referencing gear, he was using Fender mediums, which last I checked are made out of plastic. The whole "I went to Mexico and underwent treatment illegal in the US and cured cancer myself" is more than slightly ridiculous.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 26, 2007 03:33

Diamond Dave was cool, but Eddie's wanking was HORRIBLE....

Maybe he took Keith lessons..

JR

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 26, 2007 03:40

This tour will be a disaster.IMHO

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: January 26, 2007 03:47

40 shows? I will be shocked if it gets 1/2 way through before totally derailing--amidst all sorts of venomus attacks by both sides.

I blame his brother. Alex is supposedly sober and has been for yrs, supposedly. Since it appears he is really the only one Eddie will listen to are not kick out of the band, he, at some point really should have stepped in and done something.

btw, the tapes I heard of the 2004 tour, were not up to par--those shows really sounded like they were mailing it in---sad, because they used to be incredible live.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 26, 2007 03:53

I saw them in 1979..had lots of fun..they were pretty good...wont go see them now..USA tour only?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 26, 2007 03:54

Where will Wolfie's mother be? A real babe in the day. Saw her with EVH at the 1981 Orlando show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-26 03:54 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: January 26, 2007 03:58

rooster Wrote:
> I saw them in 1979..had lots of fun..they were
> pretty good...wont go see them now..USA tour only?

They will not even get through a US Tour. Plus I had read that they were not that popular in Europe (they did not tour there as much) and in fact in 1995, opened for Bon Jovi. In 1995, in the Us, it would have been the exact opposite.

Wow---very cool--VH II. Was that when they played, excuse me i I get it wrong, but I think it is called "The Tulip Festival"?

I have a boot from London in 1980, sound quality is not great, but you can tell they were smoking.

I only got to see the Sammy version, it was cool but not as great as classic VH.

Date: January 26, 2007 04:05

In 79 they played the ''Jaap eden Hal''it was completely sold out....(5000) A year later they did ''Pinkpop'''50.000...Running with the Devil became a hit..re..released...after that it was over...i lost interest ect.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 26, 2007 04:11

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Roth simply doesn't have what it takes anymore. Anyone heard him live lately? He can't sing. Really. He's done. He doesn't move around the stage, he doesn't jump much, he can't even come remotely close to hitting the notes he used to. By comparison's sake, Jagger this last tour at age 63 actually sounded as powerful as he ever has. Roth's a shell of his former self, and he should go back to being a paramedic or DJ or whatever he's done the last several years.

Date: January 26, 2007 04:16

Pink Pop!!---that is what I was thinking of!! I have read where that was a big deal to the Van Halens since they were born in Holland and there dad had been a pretty well known jazz musician there. Does Pink Pop have anything to do with Tulips or am I imagining the whole thing?

Long John--- your points concerning Roth definitely have some validity. He was never a great singer and much more of a front man. Eddie has said Roth's lack of ability is what derailed the failed comeback attempts of '96 and 2000. That said, I thought the songs they did with him in '96 were excellent, especially Me Wise Magic.

Date: January 26, 2007 04:20

Ha Ha nee no tullips man..but its the country..it used to be such a nice festival..even Jagger was there in 79 and he was very drunk sadly he didnt come on stage where Peter Tosh played.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-26 04:32 by rooster.

Date: January 26, 2007 04:30

Sorry, forgive my ignorance.

So, in one yr they went from playing 5,000 to 50,000? Pretty impressive.

That is too bad Mick did not come up---he was a bit more of a partier in those days. And since, I have seen him drinking Heneikens in lot of pictures from that era, he must have been in his element. Between that and the coffee shops........

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 26, 2007 04:56

I think the tour will go smooth as long as DLR travels seprately, the only time the two camps should see each other is during a soundcheck or on stage. They should stay in different hotels have seprate dressing rooms, etc.

As for lil' Wolfgang on bass, I do not see a problem with it. Michael Anthony's bass lines are not hard to learn and they could use bass samples in the live mix. Its not as if he is replacing Yes's Chris Squire. Backing vocals can be sampled too.

The money Live Nation is guaranteeing is enough motivation for everyone to get along for 3 months.

Date: January 26, 2007 05:09

Not so much the bass lines, but the harmonies and the WHOLE point of it--a 15 yr old playing bass for less than a yr?

True about the Chris Squire comment...lol

TOTALLY true about the separate accomodations.

How much were they guaranteed?

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: January 26, 2007 05:53

Check out this link with an interview with Michael Anthony from last year.

Not surprising, the Van Halen brothers come across as complete tools.

[www.roadrunnerrecords.com]

Date: January 26, 2007 06:19

Wow--thanks for posting that Jimmy---great read, sad, but a great read.

Michael Antohny is the only sane one of the bunch.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home