Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
abb
Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: January 14, 2007 09:27

still sounds fresh 60 percent killer 20 percent okay and 20 percent filler

Re: abb
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: January 14, 2007 09:29

how do I love ABB let me count the wayss....

but u know 90% I am listening in mycar but I don't want to listen to anything else stonewsise whether in the car or at home, my friends want to play me old shit and I am like, NAHH. it just isnt' enough..... I am smitten...

what can I say... nobody understands...I feel alone in the world..

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: January 14, 2007 15:02

tumbled Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how do I love ABB let me count the wayss....
>
>

hmmmm....what's the first counting number?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 14, 2007 15:07

ABB is fading rapidly, the only one I'd really like to listen to nowadays are Let Me Down Slow, Back Of My Hand and Laugh, I Nearly Died.

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: January 14, 2007 15:11

still two filler for me:
look what the cat dragged in & back of my hand (sorry boys)
..but the rest is one of the best the stones did for a long time!!

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: January 14, 2007 16:06

I was so excited about it at first an hardly ever listen to it entirely now.
Rough justice somehow still works - although by no means a great song, it is fresh, fast and fun.
Let me down slow is, to me, THE classic. Simple in a good way, very moving vocals and tight playing.
It won't take long, I always felt was a miss. The blame goes partly on Darryl for his flat, boring bass. The song's groove never takes off and Mick's voice is much too thin, and Keith's solo is so bad IMO.
Rain fall down, still holds. Never was exceptional (lyrics are so bad, what is this "phone kept ringing" stuff?), but I like the guitar work on it.
Streets of love... no comment, OK?
Back of my hand, really good still. Lyrics are great.
Then, in a word:
I like Driving too fast, and Infamy.
And I cannot regret more that ROnnie doesn't play more on the rest. Laugh, I nearly die is hampered by the lack of ROnnie, the instruments sound like a demo. Negatively, ABB shows me how necessary ROnnie is to the band.

Posted by: imonlysleeping ()
Date: January 14, 2007 16:09

Couldn't they have released just 8 or 9 songs? Maybe then it would have been a great album, but now it drags on as an aimless collection of songs that's either too noisy or too obviously a vintage stones song. And it is way too long at 16 songs. But it is much much better than the bridges too babylon crap. Boy do I hate that album...

Posted by: lazy-slob ()
Date: January 14, 2007 16:57

Still love it, and still in heavy rotation here. Great album with two fillers (LMDS and BM).

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: January 14, 2007 17:43

I love ABB MEZ

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 14, 2007 18:58

I haven't bothered with that album in months.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 14, 2007 19:02

good album, less than great though

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: January 14, 2007 19:49

Liked it when it first came out, but now I hardly listen to it anymore. Other that Let Me Down Slow, Back of My Hand, Laugh, and especially This Place Is Empty, I find very little to get excited about. All the hype about this not being as overproduced and cutesy as Bridges to Babylon was self-defeating I think. First, B2B blows this one away by a long shot. Second, mentioning the two albums in the same sentence alone seems rather demeaning to B2B, which is in my view a classic and (don't hate me) the best thing the Stones have done since Some Girls.

Date: January 14, 2007 20:14

The songs I still reeeeeally like today from 1989:

Terrifying
Almost Hear You Sigh
You Got Me Rocking
Baby Break it Down
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Rain Fall Down
Under the Radar

There's more songs on Wandering Spririt that I reeeeeally like than the Stones studio output in almost 20 years!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 14, 2007 20:31

I heard it by last time in August last year, not a chance of another spin in months, maybe years, maybe NEVER.
I heard DW a couple of times last week, that really rocks.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 14, 2007 22:40

I think Laugh, I Nearly Died is the real sleeper and for its own way, perhaps the best track on the album. It is, simply put, powerful.

plexi plexi Plexiglass

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 15, 2007 01:15

ABB is good but not great. Better than VL, but not as good as B2B. Although it's a good album, some of the songs (Neo Con, Cat, She Saw Me Coming, Driving Too Fast) could have been left off the album. But Rain Fall Down, Streets Of Love, and Biggest Mistake are excellent and criminally underrated songs, and the rest holds up pretty well.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 15, 2007 02:12

VL is the best thing they did in the last 25+ years, the whole period 1992 (MO), 1993 (WS), 1994 (VL) and 1995 (Stripped) is excelent, 4 years of great music.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 15, 2007 02:18

i don't see it as being any different, quality-wise, from their other output post-DW ... it has some phenomenal tracks and some weak tracks. for me the phenomenal tracks are LIND and DB.

drew

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 15, 2007 02:25

Wildly differing posts. IMO B2B is the best thing they have done since 89. The main difference with ABB to me is that I do not get excited about anything on there. It doesn't give me the Stones-goosebumps that I got all the way up to B2B. ABB is too long, the lyrics are lousy, and Ron Wood is essentila and missing. Keith didn;t write enough. Props to Jagger for trying but he does better when writing for his solo albums. Nowadays even jagger is victim to the Stones curse - where someone tries too hard to sound "stonsy'.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 15, 2007 02:34

Very good album. I like it a lot! It would have benefited a lot if played more live, like Bridges had.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: January 15, 2007 03:04

i would really like the album more if it was 10 songs,8- 10 songs on it are more or less decent.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 15, 2007 05:35

Great disc! Hate it when it is billed as a comeback! Loved Bridges as well...

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 15, 2007 13:40

The last three Stones albums have one significant sound on them which I like very much: The sound of Charlie´s snare drum! It´s sharp, ringing, way up in the mix and sounds just wonderful. I think anyone who likes drums would agree with me about this.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 15, 2007 17:56

I stumbled across a bunch of cassettes recently...found the band being interviewed in a radio station when ABB was released. Track by track comments. I'm sure you've heard it. (i'm listening to it now)

The band was quite giddy. Seemed liked they were all getting on very well. Some insightful bits. Charlie's contribution (to the interview) was very weak. Ron & Keith were funny...and Mick tried to actually answer the questions.

I listen to ABB approx once per month to keep it fresh.

Date: January 15, 2007 19:04

Every album since Steel Wheels has been their stongest effort since Some Girls. Geez, don't you people read Rolling Stone?

In all seriousnes, this is how I rank their 'comeback era' LPs.

1. Voodoo Lounge (I like this album overall - not nearly as good as Wandering Spirit though)
2. A Bigger Bang (for being okay, no reeeeeally bad songs on it. Paint-by numbers, but decent background noise)
3. Bridges to Babylon (for the strength of Saint of Me and Out of Control only. The rest is boring)
4. Steel Wheels (Sigh Sigh Sigh)

The worst song that they've done post Steel Wheels
(drumroll please).......

Keys To Your Love

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 15, 2007 19:13

Haven't listened to it since the last time this topic came up.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 15, 2007 19:19

jamesfdouglas Wrote:
> Every album since Steel Wheels has been their
> stongest effort since Some Girls. Geez, don't you
> people read Rolling Stone?
>
> In all seriousnes, this is how I rank their
> 'comeback era' LPs.
>
> 1. Voodoo Lounge (I like this album overall - not
> nearly as good as Wandering Spirit though)
> 2. A Bigger Bang (for being okay, no reeeeeally
> bad songs on it. Paint-by numbers, but decent
> background noise)
> 3. Bridges to Babylon (for the strength of Saint
> of Me and Out of Control only. The rest is
> boring)
> 4. Steel Wheels (Sigh Sigh Sigh)
>
> The worst song that they've done post Steel
> Wheels
> (drumroll please).......
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Keys To Your Love

Huh?!

I actually like the warmth of this one and rate it as a modest, but real success.

As for "worst," what can really compare with clumsy self-righteous crap like:

"Sweet NeoCon"
"Highwire"
"Dangerous Beauty"
"Blinded By Rainbows"

Or formulaic crap like:

"I Go Wild"
"Look What The Cat Dragged In"
"Suck On The Jugular"
"Driving Too Fast"

Almost a decade later, I still love "Bridges."

Take the best half of every record the Stones have done since "Tattoo You" and they still set a towering standard--not too shabby for a bunch of guys who only convene every three years or so to work up material for football stadia.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 15, 2007 19:20

timbernardis Wrote:
> I think Laugh, I Nearly Died is the real sleeper
> and for its own way, perhaps the best track on the
> album. It is, simply put, powerful.
>
>
> plexi plexi Plexiglass

I agree with Tim......LIND is one of those gems created outside of the boundaries of the Stones' normal formula rock song......they lost their cookie cutter when they created this song and it shows....I love it.

Date: January 15, 2007 21:04

Jagger forgot his cookie cutter for 90% of Wandering Spirit (and the rest of the Stones for 100%).

Wandering Spirit - the only Stones LP after Tattoo worth putting on at a party.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 16, 2007 03:41

rubbish

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home