Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: What's the STRANGEST CONCERT you've ever seen?
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 12, 2007 17:54

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> BTW, there is a drug store in Dublin, GA USA
> called 'Strange Drugs'. The owner is Mr. Strange.

That's where I need to fill my "prescriptions."

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 12, 2007 18:04

The strangest act I can remember was the opening act to Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings in Paris in 1998.

She called herself Jasmine Bond.
What she was doing was trying to sing in afrench/english mixture and play the accordeon on the same time. She was on stage with 1 guy playing a bass.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: January 12, 2007 18:39

Devo 1981 where they were marching on treadmills throughout the performance. Fantastic show. I am really surprised that nobody else ever copied the treadmill thing, it is a great idea.

I took a date to see the Go Go's in 1982 at the height of the Beauty and the Beat mania. I remember a sea of thousands of teenage girls all in mini skirts which is kind of a strange (but pleasant) memory. Lots of polka dots.

Also the Grateful Dead in the early 90's (93?) at Autzen Stadium, dosed out of my mind. I was fairly near the front and thoroughly enjoyed the show. The next day I was surprised to read in the newspaper that Ken Kesey came out and performed some kind of skit on stage early in the show that involved Huey Lewis dressed as Elvis! I had no clue.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: January 12, 2007 19:04

KSIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also in the 80s - The Residents. During their
> "eyeball" period:
>
> [i137.photobucket.com]
> 4ku7es.jpg
>
Yes, I've seen the Residents 3 times, all pretty strange...first time was their debut UK gig at Hammersmith, during that period.

Lee

Posted by: Gibson ()
Date: January 13, 2007 01:18

Lukester Wrote:
> Gibson.....I read that Jackson Browne was a
> participant in (or leader of?) the brief case
> drill team

Could be.. or the Rev. Budd Green, or Dr. Demento - they were there.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 13, 2007 05:50

Schillid, that whole WHo show you saw is available. If i get a chance Ill post it.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: January 13, 2007 06:12

bigbang Wrote:
> Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Some genius had the B-52's (whom I like okay)
> > opening for the Who (whom I like a lot)in
> Orlando
> > in 1982. They were booed off the stage after 3
> > songs as shoes rained down on them.
> >
> >
>
> That's a crime.... The B-52s have always put on a
> great show.
>
> I saw them open for Talking Heads somewhere in
> L.A. (don't remember what venue, but it was
> outdoors). That was a great show, and sometimes
> people are actually impressed I was there.

the greek theatre in LA, it was the "fear of music" tour for the heads and it kicked ass...one of my friends who went with us dropped acid AND smoked angel dust and we had to keep an eye on his sorry ass but still had a great time...

Date: January 13, 2007 06:19

DaveG Wrote:
>
>
> a Hendrix-like trio called Aum, who really put
> on a fantastic show. So when the Moodys took the
> stage and began playing, they were constantly
> pelted with marshmallows throughout the
> performance. You could see they were getting
> pissed off!
>
> One other one - I went to the Pasadena Rose
> Palace. The evenings "lead act" was the Cream
> Farewell Movie! The opening act was called The
> Santana Blues Band, later, of course, just
> Santana. It was strange in that the headlining act
> was a poorly produced movie with terrible sound,
> and yet people were stoned and dancing around just
> as if a live act was playing.

well unless they had different acts each night (gigs at the rose palace were fri & sat) i remember it being the grateful dead and kaliedoscope opening for the cream flick...when i saw "the santana blues band" at the rose palace they were opening for procul harum on the "salty dog" tour...aum was great!!! wayne the harp was the guitarist

Date: January 13, 2007 06:22

howlin' wolf opening for alice cooper at the hollywood palladium!!!

and as i've posted before, altamont of course...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 13, 2007 06:46

While the outcome sounds sad, I think that story about EW &F SINGING the line "Is there a doctor in the house" is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. I can hardly type this because I am laughing so hard!

Just reread my post and I think maybe I should always laugh a lot while typing because it is the first post ever without typos from me LOL

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-13 06:47 by ChelseaDrugstore.

Date: January 13, 2007 18:25

Bon Jovi a couple of summers ago. I still can t believe I sat through 2+ plus hrs of that dreck. It was a sauna in Giants Stadium. A close second was The Dead. My one and only show at Nassua when I was a senior in HS. It was more the crowd than anything else. I still laugh today at the weirdness. Funny thing is I like the Dead more today than I did at that time. It took Miles and Zappa to let me appreciate those 1/2 hour Dead jams. Oh well.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 13, 2007 20:17

Rovalle, my East LA friend!

You may be right about the Cream movie. Of course, it isn't always easy to remember details from those days!

I do remember seeing Procol Harum at the Rose Palace, but I think Steve Miller was also on the bill. Could be that the "Santana Blues Band" was on the bill with Lee Michaels.

Yeah, Aum, with Wayne Ceballos, put on a great show!

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: January 13, 2007 20:50

The Leningrad Cowboys at Roskilde. Amazing fun. Especially when you,re stoned.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 16, 2007 18:29

I headed toward the bus station. After some confusion, I found the right bus and got on. I handed the driver my money and I noticed that, for some reason he was dressed up in a magician's tux. He had people put their tickets and money into his tophat.

Even though it was just after midnight, I was surprised to see that the bus was nearly full. It was very dark, but I could make out one empty seat near the back of the bus. There was a woman sitting in the next seat.

As soos I sat down, I saw that the woman in the next seat was the fake usher from the concert.

"Who are you?" I asked her.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø

Date: January 16, 2007 18:39

....oh my gosh, schillid, you stumbled onto the mythical "Magic Bus." such experiences are about as common as putting a saddle on a unicorn......tell us, what happened next?

.....did you wake up in a Soho doorway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-16 18:50 by Lukester.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 16, 2007 18:43

Lots of strange things...but ok one example...Hard rock band ''More'' The singer got beaten up by security ...they thought he was trying to get on stage while he was trying to make contact with the crowd.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 16, 2007 18:57

For a good period in NYC my favorite band were the Contortions with James Chance. he had gotten it into his head that he was going to fight people in the audience as part of his show. He was a little wiry runt of a guy and ALWAYS pickerd the biggest meanest Jerseyboy. After a while of heavy gigging he arrived with blackeye, not looking too well even before his ass whooping started LOL. Because he always lost.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 16, 2007 19:47

Lukester Wrote:
> ....the "Magic Bus."

Thank you, Ed

> .....did you wake up in a Soho doorway?

bu-dump-bump

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-16 20:05 by schillid.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 18, 2007 17:58

"YES" on the "Big Generator" tour.

After the very successful "90125" tour, which was awesome, they put out a very pop album and tour to follow. Album was a bust, and so was the tour I think mainly to concentrating on the last 2 albums with very little new stuff.

Went to the show, hardly anyone was there, my friend seriously asked "are you sure it's tonight" as we're walking up?

Sound was horrible, keyboards quit midstream (he just threw his hands up in the air), even the Jon Anderson commented during the show, in all his years of performing, he'd never seen a show completely fall apart as bad as that one.

I was really waiting for them to cancel and give refunds, but no such luck...they played on.

The did redeem themselves on a tour a few years later called "Union" which featured just about everyone who's ever been in the band!

Date: January 18, 2007 18:12

How's this...

Years ago, I went to see David Bowie's "Young Americans" concert at the Spectrum on Philadelphia. The first act was a campy vaudvillian presentation of some sort... they got booed mercilessly until they left the stage.

After the intermission, it was time for Bowie. The lights went dark. Before Bowie's entrance, first the band of course...
Imagine though, the audience's mass embarassment when everyone realized that Bowie's own backup band is the group that they had just been booing. It seems they were playing a set without Bowie for the first act...

faux pas...

Date: January 18, 2007 18:52

okay......this isn't nearly as good as the others but I saw Neil Young in 1982 while he was promoting his Trans album (you might remember this as his experimental album with futuristic digital sounds).

He was by himself....no accompaniment....and for the first set he played his new material while marching about the stage with a portable keyboard and a mouth piece that distorted his voice.....kind of like Laurie Anderson (mentioned previously).....One song was called "Sample And Hold," another was a new futuristic version of his Buffalo Springfield hit "Mr. Soul." He also had a laser light thing that he would aim into the crowd...he was pointing it at specific people and they would be clapping and excited to be "touched" by Neil...very strange.

The second set was organic....it was all his old hits on vintage instruments (grand piano, acoustic guitar)....I remember at one point he asked the audience which keyboard to play the next song on, the electric piano or the old grand piano.....we all cheered louder for the grand piano so he said, "good, this is the very same piano I used to write this next song," and he started in so beautifully on "After The Gold Rush,"...."...well I dreamed I saw the...." it still gives me chill bumps just thinking about it.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 18, 2007 19:23

Lukester, I saw that tour, and it was indeed odd...didn't he collapse on stage later that tour and had to cancel some shows...and when he returned to the tour had a full rockibilly band with him or something (making it even stranger)?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 18, 2007 19:25

Lukester Wrote:
> okay......this isn't nearly as good as the others
> but I saw Neil Young in 1982 while he was
> promoting his Trans album (you might remember this
> as his experimental album with futuristic digital
> sounds).
>
> He was by himself....no accompaniment....and for
> the first set he played his new material while
> marching about the stage with a portable keyboard
> and a mouth piece that distorted his
> voice.....kind of like Laurie Anderson (mentioned
> previously).....One song was called "Sample And
> Hold," another was a new futuristic version of his
> Buffalo Springfield hit "Mr. Soul." He also had a
> laser light thing that he would aim into the
> crowd...he was pointing it at specific people and
> they would be clapping and excited to be "touched"
> by Neil...very strange.
>
> The second set was organic....it was all his old
> hits on vintage instruments (grand piano, acoustic
> guitar)....I remember at one point he asked the
> audience which keyboard to play the next song on,
> the electric piano or the old grand piano.....we
> all cheered louder for the grand piano so he said,
> "good, this is the very same piano I used to write
> this next song," and he started in so beautifully
> on "After The Gold Rush,"...."...well I dreamed I
> saw the...." it still gives me chill bumps just
> thinking about it.

He was weird, really weird, there.
Even more so in 84 wasnt he? Even wore a tie!!

Date: January 18, 2007 19:52

kovach Wrote:
> Lukester, I saw that tour, and it was indeed
> odd...didn't he collapse on stage later that tour
> and had to cancel some shows...and when he
> returned to the tour had a full rockibilly band
> with him or something (making it even stranger)?

thanks for the feedback Kojack.....where did you see him? I saw him in Charmichael Auditorium in Chapel Hill, NC.

Yeah I almost forgot about the rockabilly phase....wasn't that band called the Shocking Pinks or something like that?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 18, 2007 19:56

The Voluptuous Horrors of Karen Black

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 18, 2007 19:57

B.J. Thomas [Raindrops Falling, etc] show a long time ago. He forgot the lyrics to 2 or 3 songs: more sad than strange I guess

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 18, 2007 20:04

The one that blew me away was when Lukester, Cindy C, and MicksBrain put on a PETER, PAUL, and MARY copy show at SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN and did a smokin version of PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON....CC's skirt was SO SHORT that when she turned around and picked up the Tamborine we all got instant boners up front.....Did this really happen or was it the acid I took for the Golden Globes? Anybody else see this one ?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 18, 2007 20:36

King Diamond

Date: January 18, 2007 20:43

...it really happened Skelter......well most of it, anyway........as I recall that was some very high powered acid going around.....and it wasn't a tambourine but instead it was Cindy's diaphragm......and it wasn't Puff The Magic Dragon but it was Blowing In The Wind.......and it wasn't Six Flags Magic Mountain but it was a keg party at my old house....but the boners were real.....you have a good memory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-18 22:27 by Lukester.

Posted by: button_your_lip ()
Date: January 18, 2007 20:47

LOL...is RECALL the operative word?

some of you truly missed your calling to be comedy writers or ....

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1581
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home