Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Telecaster pickup question
Posted by: benon again ()
Date: December 29, 2009 00:58

Mathjis isn`t Pierre.

Posted by: FlatPolePiece ()
Date: September 15, 2010 00:31

This is a great thread. I stumbled on it when someone posted a link from another thread today. Whoever he is, thanks to Mathijs for many informative posts which I've enjoyed over the years. For once, I thought I could add something. I've met Pierre a few times, a couple of times in '94 and again in '06. In '94 I was helping a dealer who sold Keith a couple of amps. One he bought as a present for Charlie and the other was a recovered high power '57 Twin. I still have the receipt that Jane Rose signed. My job was to carry the amps! In '06 I ran into Pierre at the Austin airport the day after the show. He was just sitting alone waiting for his flight. I sat down and we talked about Keith's guitars. He was happy to answer any questions I had. In particular, I asked a lot of detailed questions about Micawber and specifically about the lead pickup. Pierre said it's actually a late 50's/60's Fender lap steel pickup and not an early 50's one like I thought. I think he said Keith switched them at some point before Pierre had come into the picture. To me, that guitar and that pickup have an unmistakable tone unlike any of his other teles.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 15, 2010 01:10

Welcome to IORR, FlatPolePiece.

impressive first post there and I'd be very interested to read more about the amps story and your conversation with Pierre.
who & where was the dealer in '94? can you post that receipt?

cheers

Posted by: FlatPolePiece ()
Date: September 15, 2010 21:27

I actually found the recipt. I don't know how to post pictures but the twin is serial #0005. I think Keith's favorite, the brown recovered one, is either Serial #0003 or #0006. These were the first high powered 100 watt Twins made. The amp that Keith bought for Charlie I remember to be a small cool looking late '30's/'40 Oahu amp. I'm actually not new to the board, and have read it for years.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 16, 2010 01:03

FlatPolePiece
Pierre said it's actually a late 50's/60's Fender lap steel pickup and not an early 50's one like I thought. I think he said Keith switched them at some point before Pierre had come into the picture. To me, that guitar and that pickup have an unmistakable tone unlike any of his other teles.

Great info! There is some weird info on the lap steel pickup. It was refered to as a "early 50's" one, but the staggered pole pickups for lap steels wasn't introduced until '54, and for Tele's until '55. From pics and info I have it is impossible to say the actual age.

I guess the original pickup shorted out, and Keith needed a replacement soon. The tech on duty, or the shop nearby, probably did not have a proper vintage tele lead pickup, but did have an old lap steel lying around.

Mathijs

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 16, 2010 11:26

Welcome FlatPolePiece!
Great info.
If you need help in posting that picture, just give us a hint smiling smiley

Date: September 16, 2010 11:42

FlatPolePiece
I actually found the recipt. I don't know how to post pictures but the twin is serial #0005. I think Keith's favorite, the brown recovered one, is either Serial #0003 or #0006. These were the first high powered 100 watt Twins made. The amp that Keith bought for Charlie I remember to be a small cool looking late '30's/'40 Oahu amp. I'm actually not new to the board, and have read it for years.

Some nice read about the Oahu reissue amps:

[www.tab-funkenwerk.com]

Mathijs

Date: September 16, 2010 12:51

magee mineko
I am poor at English.
And I cannot play the guitar.
However, I want to be helpful for all of you.
Do these photographs serve as a reference?

[cartoonstones.blogspot.com]

Btw, notice the slide on ron's finger. He used that to get a ringing, sitar like sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: TeleTwin ()
Date: May 29, 2013 15:38

Question to Mathijs

Seymour Duncan 1954 Antiquity's (with staggered polepieces) it is this one ?

[www.seymourduncan.com]

Antiquity for 1955 Telecaster®: bridge (lead), raised D & G pole / 11024-27

I can´t find the "Antiquity 1954" one, one the homepage from seymour duncan.

or this one (Vintage ‘54 Lead STL-1)

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 18:47 by TeleTwin.

Posted by: magee mineko ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:15

keith use humbucker pickup (neck position) with Micawber.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:27

Where is Mathijs? After he promised a question session with Pierre he disappeared.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:39

DoomandGloom
Where is Mathijs? After he promised a question session with Pierre he disappeared.
that is what happens when you make a promise that you cant keep!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 7, 2014 19:40

TheGreek
DoomandGloom
So I guess I shouldn't start an ask Jagger confused smileythread! Perhaps Mathijs was going to pretend to be Pierre, I've long believed much of his facts were conjecture and he was obnoxious to those who heard things differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-07 19:42 by DoomandGloom.

Date: July 7, 2014 19:58

magee mineko
keith use humbucker pickup (neck position) with Micawber.

Good catch, thanks.

Date: July 7, 2014 20:29

DoomandGloom
TheGreek
DoomandGloom
So I guess I shouldn't start an ask Jagger confused smileythread! Perhaps Mathijs was going to pretend to be Pierre, I've long believed much of his facts were conjecture and he was obnoxious to those who heard things differently.

He is still posting here. Expect that he will provide the answers to our questions.

Date: July 7, 2014 20:47

DoomandGloom

Still around, but after 15 years on this board every topic has been discussed at least 10 times...

Anyway -I send all questions to Pierre, and I had the feeling he was a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of questions. He stated several times he will get to it, but to date he has not returned any answers.

Mathijs

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 7, 2014 21:12

Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Still around, but after 15 years on this board every topic has been discussed at least 10 times...

Anyway -I send all questions to Pierre, and I had the feeling he was a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of questions. He stated several times he will get to it, but to date he has not returned any answers.

Mathijs

yeah....right

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2014 21:18

Mathijs
gwen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith said in an interview that he doesn't like
> the "kind of out of phase" sound he gets with both
> pick-ups on. This of course applies to the
> modified Teles, not the Telecaster Custom.

That's really strange, as the only reason you want to pupt a humbucker in the neck is because of the sounds it gives in the middle position. He used this position quite a lot in the 70's, on tracks like Tumbling dice and YCAGWY. He like it so much that he even started to play the Custom tele more and more, and about half the songs in '81 he played on the Custom with both pickups on.

I guess Keith meant that he didn't like the sound of the humbucker alone, as that would make much more sense: it sounds way too dark.

Mathijs

Then why play a Tele modified with a humbucker? If you're not going to use the neck "dark"-sounding pick-up, the stock single coil will do just fine.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 7, 2014 21:32

DoomandGloom

That Mathijs gentleman seams to be full of himself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-07 21:33 by RockinJive.

Date: July 7, 2014 22:03

RockinJive
DoomandGloom

That Mathijs gentleman seams to be full of himself

This is what one gets in return when trying to make a dialogue between the Stones' s guitar tech and the fans happen?

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: July 7, 2014 23:09

I feel bad vibes around here
that's sad

Date: July 7, 2014 23:12

Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Mathijs

Now that this leg of tour is over, Pierre hopefully finds time and leisure to come back to the questions.

RockinJive
That Mathijs gentleman seams to be full of himself"]

Now that statement tells a lot about you. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: July 8, 2014 04:26

Mathijs is a solid guy and great member of our community...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 8, 2014 05:11

OCarol
Mathijs is a solid guy and great member of our community...

+1

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 8, 2014 23:17

open-g
Mathijs
DoomandGloom

Mathijs

Now that this leg of tour is over, Pierre hopefully finds time and leisure to come back to the questions.

RockinJive
That Mathijs gentleman seams to be full of himself"]

Now that statement tells a lot about you. eye rolling smiley

As far as I see the guy talks about how his word is Gospel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-08 23:18 by RockinJive.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 9, 2014 15:21

very good observation

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 21, 2016 00:29

Just looked at some shots from the Ole tour and saw that the humbucker isn't reversed anymore...

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 21, 2016 01:44

Who knows (except Pierre) how Keith's beloved Tele is wired? I have a Tele with a Fender humbucker in the neck position and a Fender Tele single coil in the bridge position. The guitar is a Fender factory guitar, no modifications. It has a 5-way switch for the pickup mix. The neck pickup alone is very dark, full sounding and bassy. Great jazz tone but not Tele sounding. The mix of the neck and bridge with the 5-way switch is what really makes the guitar so versatile! If Keith is playing the neck pickup alone on most open G songs (I doubt it) he must be running his signal through a treble booster because it doesn't sound like a Fender humbucker alone. Although, his sound is very full on the new song Trouble.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 21, 2016 03:03

Which model and year Tele do you have?

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 21, 2016 03:27

Hi Koen. I have a California Fat Telecaster. The year is 1997 I think.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home