Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Knights of Prosperity Tomorrow 9pm
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 4, 2007 18:34

Glass Slide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ask KR if he doesn't think MJ has debased
> himself
>
>
> First off, that is far from an objective opinion
> on that topic.
>
> Secondly, is it all that different than Keith
> appearing in a Disney movie, which
> is quite similar in that poke fun at his image.
>
> I fail to see how the two are all that, if at all
> different.
>
> I think both are funny.

they aren't that different, you're right. but, at least I'll give KR credit for resisting the urge up to this point. mick's been doing it for a lot longer and you know that hasn't sat well with his fellow glimmer.....

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: January 4, 2007 18:41

Ah, c'mon Tod, lighten it up a bit, have a laugh--I think it humanizes them.

I think both are funny--they are musicians in a rock band, products/icons of pop culture, not heads of state, or the Royal Family or anything.

For Mick's sake I hope the show does really well and I am certain Pirates III will do do very well.

Like I said, I, personally prefer that to their contemporaries who take themselves far too seriously and come off as detached overly "stuffy" in the process. That, to me, is completely humorless.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: January 4, 2007 18:47

CindyC Wrote:
> Edith Grove Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey boston, did you hear the Musak version of
> SMU
> > towards the end?
>
>
> Yeah, I heard it, was it the music in his hallway,
> or a doorbell? I noticed it too late.
>
> Also, I'm pretty sure he only named the two dogs,
> he didn't say the name of the third.
>
> Mick was good, he does well with comedy. It's
> funny, he is 63, but he really still has such a
> boyish quality about him when he smiles and
> laughs. I think he's adorable like that.
>
> Best joke of the night:
> Guy 1: You know what I love best about a
> woman?
> Guy 2: Her legs?
> Guy 1: Nope
> Guy 2: Breasts?
> Guy 1: Nope
> Guy 2: Oh, I know! Her mind!
> Guy 1: Nope. The vagina, I just love that
> part.

Here's the clip.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 4, 2007 18:47

Glass Slide Wrote:

> I think both are funny--they are musicians in a
> rock band, products/icons of pop culture, not
> heads of state, or the Royal Family or anything.
>
> I... prefer that to their
> contemporaries who take themselves far too
> seriously and come off as detached overly "stuffy"
> in the process. That, to me, is completely
> humorless.

I agree.

ps
Debra: For clarity, would you consider editing out "Tomorrow 9pm" from thread's subject?

Date: January 4, 2007 19:02

Glass Slide Wrote:
> Ah, c'mon Tod, lighten it up a bit, have a
> laugh--I think it humanizes them.
>
> Like I said, I, personally prefer that to their
> contemporaries who take themselves far too
> seriously and come off as detached overly "stuffy"
> in the process. That, to me, is completely
> humorless.

Well, I don't want them humanized. I remember the first time I saw Mick up really, really close (Portland '98)- it sorta pissed me off. He looked so...human, puny and frail.

I disagree with you about Macca - I don't think he takes himself even as seriously as Mick - and I could cite numerous examples of it. He's got a wicked sense of humor about himself.

Date: January 4, 2007 19:06

Thanks, Tod - you've just made me feel better about barely being able to see the boys each time I've seen 'em! I'll rethink golden circle, this summer, then . . .winking smiley

Date: January 4, 2007 19:08

Hey Tod, it's cool. We will just agree to disagree.

I prefer the humanization to total detachment, but I suppose it is a matter of taste.

Perhaps you are right about McCartney--I just have a difficult time
seeinghim in a positive light after that low rent move where he tried
to change "Lennon-McCartney" to "McCarteny-Lennon".Not that I am a huge Lennon
fan, but that was really classless, imo. I have a diificult time thinking he would agree to a show about him being "robbed" And besides, he married that freak.....

Date: January 4, 2007 19:08

there's some wisdom there, nik! and they look even older in person...and, in keith's case, at least, that's really saying something!

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: January 4, 2007 19:10

Glass Slide Wrote:
" And besides, he married
> that freak.....

Hahaha! Love this line!

Date: January 4, 2007 19:12

Glass Slide Wrote:
> --I just have
> a difficult time
> seeinghim in a positive light after that low rent
> move where he tried
> to change "Lennon-McCartney" to
> "McCarteny-Lennon".

ask wyman and taylor (or woody that matter) about any beefs they might have about Jagger-Richards songwriting credtis....

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 4, 2007 19:14

Some stuff was funny and I recognized some of the scenes since it was filmed
in NYC; but in the world of mega marketing and TV biz/suits, I'd probably
say that the show has about 6-12 show lifespan; enough time to rob Fran Drescher and whoever else they think of....

Let's rob ____ fill in the blank

Date: January 4, 2007 19:33

StonesTod Wrote:

>
> ask wyman and taylor (or woody that matter) about
> any beefs they might have about Jagger-Richards
> songwriting credtis....

Perfectly valid point, but that all happened when they were A) Alive and cool smiley In the band.

To try to "rewrite history" after someone has passed on is, imo, beyond low rent.

I agree, it will be hard for this show to have any sort of sustained run--actually have a hard time imagining how it goes longer than say 3 episodes.

Date: January 4, 2007 19:46

ah - tis better to screw the living!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 4, 2007 19:47

My DVR cut-off the ending, the last thing I saw was they got the key to his apartment. What happened after that, anything?

Overall...while there were a couple of laughs, a pretty weak show I thought...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 4, 2007 21:14

I do not like this show. This is horrible; this show. It will be cancelled soon and thats a good thing.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: January 4, 2007 22:02

kovach Wrote:
> My DVR cut-off the ending, the last thing I saw
> was they got the key to his apartment. What
> happened after that, anything?
>
> Overall...while there were a couple of laughs, a
> pretty weak show I thought...

Short scene of Mick opening his door and walking through three or more layers of heavy security...retina recognition, guard, metal detector...the key's not enough!

And I thought it was a hilarious show!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 4, 2007 22:21

The actors are good, the writing is mediocre. But compared to other shows on the air right now, it's not that bad. And at least it's not one of those tiresome husband/wife/bratty kids sitcoms. Mick was hugely entertaining. Too bad he didn't have more to do.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 4, 2007 22:48

I would love to see Mick in a schlock type talk show ala Oprah; engaging and
provocative going 1 on 1 with the likes of Depp, Spears, Hilton; etc...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 4, 2007 23:39

marianna Wrote:
> The actors are good, the writing is mediocre. But
> compared to other shows on the air right now, it's
> not that bad. And at least it's not one of those
> tiresome husband/wife/bratty kids sitcoms. Mick
> was hugely entertaining. Too bad he didn't have
> more to do.

The show is critically acclaimed and especially Jaggers performance. However, I don't think you'll be seeing Mick on any future shows. Apparently the shows creators pissed Mick off:

TV Show: The Knight$ Of Prosperity

Jagger sitcom aims to steal audience

By BILL BRIOUX -- Toronto Sun

Maz Jobrani, left, and Donal Logue co-star as a couple of misfit guys who rob celebrities in a get-rich-quick scheme.

Mick Jagger was not about to be robbed twice.

The Rolling Stone agreed to a cameo, plus a producer's credit, on the new sitcom The Knights Of Prosperity (premiering tonight at 9 p.m. on ABC; CTV will broadcast it at a later date).

Jagger had two demands: Don't use his name in the title of the series and don't use his image to promote the show.

So what did ABC do last June when they unveiled the comedy to advertisers and the press? Call the series Let's Rob Mick Jagger and promote it with a giant shot of Jagger towering over tiny shots of Donal Logue and the other ensemble cast members.

Logue, an Ottawa-native who stopped by the Sun on a visit to Toronto last month, says Jagger hit the roof.

"I specifically said do not do this," was Jagger's reaction, says Logue. "So his level of involvement went way down."

Which is fine, as it turns out. Knights was never supposed to be about any one king of rock 'n' roll. It is about this gang of lovable misfits who keep struggling to bust out of their blue-collar rut.

Logue (Grounded For Life) is front and centre as Eugene Gurkin, a down-on-his-luck janitor who dreams of someday owning his own bar. The problem: How do you get to that dream from pushing broom on the graveyard shift? So, in tonight's pilot, he dares his pals to help him take a shortcut to some big money by breaking into the famous Rolling Stone's $52-million Manhattan apartment.

Jagger's scenes were shot last spring in New Zealand, where the band was touring. (This was just prior to Keith Richards supposedly falling out of a tree and injuring his head.)

He does steal the show, strutting all over his own fabulous Rock Diva persona. Jagger's palatial spread features a gigantic closet where all his hats are kept in climate-controlled comfort. There's a swimming pool just for his little doggies, plus a golden fountain shaped like those giant ya-ya lips that front every Stones' tour.

Rob Burnett, the Letterman producer who executive produces this show along with Jon Beckerman (Ed), was thrilled with Jagger's performance, telling me last July that "some of the funniest stuff in the pilot came from him."

But will this show have legs after Jagger? Logue hopes viewers stay for the Knights, the gang of misfits in the (eventual) title.

Like Jagger, they do have charm and timing. Besides Logue, the comedy stars stunner Sofia Vergara as Knight lady Esperanza, Maz Jobrani as cabby Gary Kevin, Michael Richardson as "muscle" man Rockefeller Butts, Lenny Venito as Francis "Squatch" Scuacieri and Josh Grisetti as Louis the Intern.

They mesh well with Jobrani, who was funny in the short-lived Life On A Stick, standing out as a cranky New York cabbie who was a lawyer back in his native India.

Shot in and around the streets of Queens and other New York boroughs, the series feels like a cross between old studio sitcoms with large comedy ensembles, like Barney Miller, and newer one-camera comedies like My Name Is Earl.

This show originally was slated to start last November. When the series casualties started to mount last fall, ABC announced it was moving this little gem out of the crush.

As a result, 13 episodes are already in the can. Future shows will move on from Mick to the gang trying to rob other celebrities. Logue let slip that Ray Romano and Kelly Ripa are upcoming targets; he says his character develops "an unhealthy obsession" with the daytime talk-show host.

Does Reege know about this?

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 5, 2007 01:19

Mick kicking a soccer ball:

he looked pretty good. I know Rod Stewart has some soccer ability, but has Mick ever played. The reason I ask, is that in the final scene when he kicks at his servant one more time, i though the shot was a bit herky jerky and i rewatched it a few times on my DVR and realized you couldn't quite see Micks face as he made the kick. is it possible they used a double for that shot??

Date: January 5, 2007 01:25

yeah - i understand it was actually Rod Stewart himself taking the shots

Date: January 5, 2007 01:29

I thought the soccer kick, while the "servant" stood there impassively was hysterical.

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: January 5, 2007 02:12

Mick oozes charm and charisma out of every pore. Talk about a guy who is comfortable in his own skin.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 5, 2007 02:20

Yes, Mick did a fine job, not over-doing it but certainly filling his spots with his typical campish attitude! ( Is campish a word? If not, I made one up). Loved the easy, impish, yes charming delivery. Wonder what Keith will have to say about it; I'll bet everything I own that it won't be positive!

Re: Knights of Prosperity Tonight 9pm
Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 5, 2007 19:59

Yes, campish would be an apt description! I loved how he was gushing on about how much he loves hats -- great parody of the insipid "entertainment news" style there.

I saw on the TV schedule that the show will be on again tonight; I don't know if it's a rebroadcast of the premiere, or a new episode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-05 20:00 by Claire_M.

Posted by: lovingcup22 ()
Date: January 5, 2007 22:29

From The Daily Mail, London:

Jagger sends himself up in comedy show - but was it really a joke?
By RICHARD SIMPSON

Sir Mick Jagger: Played an exaggerated version of himself on the comedy Kings Of Prosperity

It was meant to be a ridiculously over the top parody.

But as Mick Jagger sent himself up on US television, some observers were left wondering whether the act he was putting on was a little more true to life than intended.

Millions tuned in to see 63-year-old Sir Mick playing an exaggerated version of himself on the comedy Kings Of Prosperity, a debut cameo performance he executive produced himself.

Script-writers evidently had quite a task on their hands - the Rolling Stones singer is already something of a caricature thanks to his rubbery face, colourful past and wildly gesticulating stage manner.

But the items of parody they drew up - including a rejuvenating yoghurt bath and an obsession with correctly-heated hats - turn out to be not too far from the truth.

The episode followed a gang of robbers plotting to break in to the rock star's £25 million New York Central Park West-side apartment after watching Jagger show viewers round it on a lifestyles of the rich and famous-style television show.

On the programme, Jagger, who does indeed own a palatial apartment in New York, tells viewers: 'Hi, I'm Mick. 'Welcome to my apartment - it's so nice, I never want to go out.'

He tours round a media room, where he can 'lounge about and watch a movie'. Then he moves over to a gold popcorn maker adding: 'Anybody want some popcorn? Want butter on it? Delicious.'

And then to a golden fountain fashioned like the rubber-lipped Stones logo, in the bathroom, he finds a brow-beaten manservant, who is pouring the star a warm yoghurt bath to rejuvenate his skin.

Next stop is the 'hat room' - where Mick indulges his secret passion. 'I love hats,' he tells the camera. 'You know, it's a bit of an obsession of mine. I keep them at 62 degrees. About 10 per cent humidity - about the right temperature to keep a really good hat.'

In another scene, Jagger practices football in his cavernous dining room. He is filmed punting the ball into a net set up in the room, with his manservant positioned as goal-keeper, all the while Jagger wearing an England football shirt and skin-tight gold trousers.

'You're not even trying now,' Jagger scalds him, as he kicks the ball straight at the boy. Last stop is the swimming pool where the singer says he 'hates getting wet myself' but 'dogs love it', as the camera pans around to four dogs - one called Charlie presumably after the Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts - swimming in the pool as Jagger throws them a ball.

The whole apartment is protected a state-of-the-art security system - which comprises a fingerprint test and a metal detector on the way in.

All of which might appear to be a hilarious send-up the Rolling Stones frontman has somehow agreed to.

However, inspection of the singer's life shows such behaviour is actually quite common for the star.

While he may not bathe in yoghurt, he is known to have regular caviar facials at Claridges hotel in London's Mayfair where he permanently retains a penthouse apartment.

Sir Mick is also, privately, rather a fan of hats - recently being pictured playing football with his youngest son Lucas in Richmond Park wearing a pink beret.

A fanatical film buff, Jagger his own film production company, called Jagged Films, which produced such hits as Enigma starring Kate Winslet, about British code-crackers in World War Two.

And just as fanatical is he a sports fan - though cricket is more his bag and he tries never to miss a match at Lords when in London. No reference was made to that other behaviour Sir Mick is known for - his colourful romantic life. But then perhaps that was a bit too close to home for the lothario singer who has fathered seven children by four women.

'It was all a great laugh and we had real fun filming - but I suppose there are some things you just don't joke about' said a source close to the singer.

Yet is seems that wasn't the only thing Jagger lost his sense of humour about. The singer apparently had two demands when he first agreed to do they show - 'don't use my name in the title of the series and don't use my image to promote the show'.

So what did ABC do last June when they unveiled the comedy to advertisers and the press? Call the series Let's Rob Mick Jagger and promote it with a giant shot of Jagger towering over tiny shots of the ensemble cast members. Jagger apparently 'hit the roof'.

'I specifically said do not do this,' was Jagger's reaction, said the show's star Donal Logue. 'So his level of involvement went way down,' he added.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 5, 2007 22:35

I thought it was awesome.

To those who got grumpy watching it....

(raspberry tounge noise)!

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: January 6, 2007 01:20

Mick has four dogs in the show, not just three. So he has Charlie and Ronnie -are the other two Keith and Mick?

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 6, 2007 01:28

Gee, some people can't enjoy ANYTHING!!What a pity. How does one get that jaded??

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: January 6, 2007 01:32

Is this KOP promo video playing anywhere? This is the first I've seen of it.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home