Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: How was No Security Tour ?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 24, 2006 08:17

Glass Slide Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the "No Security" cd do justice to the tour?
>
> I did not see them on that one (do not think they
> played NY--Hartford/Philly may have been the
> closest) and I never bought the cd though I have
> heard it, certainly not recently--I think I was
> "burnt out" on live records following every tour
> and the cover freaked me out--lol.
>

Well - the NS album is actually culled from the '97-'98 B2B tour. The NS album was released to promote the '99 NS tour. NS isn't a bad affair as far as Stones live albums go....well-produced and a smattering of fairly good performances of songs never released on a live album. Yeah - having DM on MM wasn't exactly a mouth-watering moment....

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: December 24, 2006 08:27

That actually makes sense---the disc would come before the tour. I have a buddy who just loves that record.

I have heard/read all about the Oakland show--did not realize it was the first night of the tour--pretty impressive, generally the first couple of shows are not the best.

I will say that of the 8 Stones shows I have seen---MSG 1/98 was the best.

btw Great photos

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 24, 2006 10:14

Glass Slide Wrote:
> That actually makes sense---the disc would come
> before the tour. I have a buddy who just loves
> that record.
>
> I have heard/read all about the Oakland show--did
> not realize it was the first night of the
> tour--pretty impressive, generally the first
> couple of shows are not the best.
>
> I will say that of the 8 Stones shows I have
> seen---MSG 1/98 was the best.
>
> btw Great photos

Yeah Glss Slide. Everything about it was wierd. They started on the west Coast as oposed to the usual east to west style of touring. It was indoors in Jan.The opening numbers of the setlist were unusual. The only time on the tour they did MR & SFTD as the encore.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: December 24, 2006 10:30

Midnight Rambler and Sympathy are definitely atypical encores.

Checked out some of the set-lists---very cool.

Posted by: slybri74 ()
Date: December 24, 2006 16:04

I still can't believe what I am reading about this tour! Best shows ever, greatest tour, etc. Yes, the sets were great, but Mick's singing was terrible, compared to BTB,VL,Licks or BB. Oakland a great show?? Listen to Micks GOD AWFUL singing on Undercover. Moonlight Mile is sung so poorly as well. PAint it Black. Awful vocals compared to the STeel Wheels versions, or earlier version from BTB. Terrible. No balls behind it. ALl down the Line was performed poorly as well on the shows they performed it at. Again, poor singing. The Vegas '99 could be the worst vocal performance by Mick EVER at a Stones show. Yet, people here label it as great and fantastic. Vocally embarassing IMHO. You people need to get your ears checked, and actually listen to the singing.

Date: December 24, 2006 17:26

Jagger ain't that much of a singer to begin with if we're gonna keep it real. He's a performer and his performances on '99 were among his best. The first Sacto show - where is voice went "out" midway through the show (affecting scheduling of several subsequent shows) is a great case in point. I've never seen Mick so animated once he realized that he was missing one of his "elements" - he did so well that I doubt many in the audience even realize what was happening.

Date: December 24, 2006 18:29

I have never heard Oakland or any show from No Security--heard "about" it. I have also read/heard comments from many who are pretty hardcore Stones fans who rank it among the best shows---I think it goes w/o saying they are being "relative" (ie not comparing it to say '72 or whatever).

The setlists look great and the fact is they had been touring for the better part of a yr and a half so it would seem to stand to reason the band was in good form.

As for Micks "worst" vocal performances, have a hard time imagining it had ANYTHING on some of the '76 shows which were down right horrific......

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 24, 2006 22:28

Loved how Charlie cut his hair that tour--his coolest.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 25, 2006 00:52

The tour was great. Bare stage, cool song choices, etc..

Only thing I didn't like was the cheesy dice that Lisa and Bernard played with during ..... you know which song.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: December 25, 2006 18:13

What about Last time, Killer version in Honolulu on the b-stage. Did they play it anywhere else? The Anaheim pond first show was terrible sound was very muddy but they took care of it the second night.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 25, 2006 19:54

I loved the No Security tour. I flew from Australia to see both Boston shows. I had a ticket for the second show, and bought a great seat from a scalper for the first show. The stage design was "in the round", so some of the best seats were actually behind the band. I had a seat right behind Charlie and I could actually hear the band talking to each other between songs. I also remember the foldback speaker next to Charlie wasn't working, and Charlie absolutely tore strips off one of the sound guys for it. That night, during Tumbming Dice, Mick yelled out his room number to a few hot girls sitting near me, and the next day in the paper there was an article about how he'd spent the night with both of them. A great tour, fantastic set list, and the band sounded really hot and energetic. Still, they have done even better shows since. The third show in Melbourne in 2003 was an absolute killer (opening song was JJF, followed immediately by Street Fighting Man was one of the best beginnigs to a Stones show I've ever seen, matched only by Midnight Rambler as opener at the Enmore), and Melbourne 2006 was also a great show - so they can still match or even better No Security - ie they still play with fire and passion, and they still take risks, but not so much with the stadium shows. Lets hope that the next tour focuses on arenas and clubs.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 25, 2006 23:22

stonesfrk Wrote:
> What about Last time, Killer version in Honolulu
> on the b-stage. Did they play it anywhere else?
> The Anaheim pond first show was terrible sound was
> very muddy but they took care of it the second
> night.

'The last time' was only played on the 1997-98 tour

39 times according to this site :
[home.wanadoo.nl]

Just checked my own setlists site and it seems the last time it was played was Paris 25th July 1998. Somewhat ironic as it was the only show I got to see in 1998 (thanks to the UK tour being scrapped) and the crush at the b-stage that night was so bad I thought at one point it would be the 'last' song I'd ever live to see!

Date: December 26, 2006 00:46

Gazza Wrote:
> stonesfrk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What about Last time, Killer version in
> Honolulu
> > on the b-stage. Did they play it anywhere else?
> > The Anaheim pond first show was terrible sound
> was
> > very muddy but they took care of it the second
> > night.
>
>
>
> 'The last time' was only played on the 1997-98
> tour
>
> 39 times according to this site :
> [home.wanadoo.nl]
>
> Just checked my own setlists site and it seems the
> last time it was played was Paris 25th July 1998.
> Somewhat ironic as it was the only show I got to
> see in 1998 (thanks to the UK tour being scrapped)
> and the crush at the b-stage that night was so bad
> I thought at one point it would be the 'last' song
> I'd ever live to see!

Gazza you know i love ya! i knew you would be there to correct me, because you know i'm usally in some sort of altered state of mind at stones gigs,even though you know i know my sh**. Yeah at the honolulu gigs last time was my favorite song i wish they would play it more often. You know i go to so many stones gigs it's hard to keep an exact account of everything if you get my drift. Peace and Happy holidays Gazza!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 26, 2006 01:34

stonesfrk Wrote:
> Gazza you know i love ya! i knew you would be
> there to correct me, because you know i'm usally
> in some sort of altered state of mind at stones
> gigs,even though you know i know my sh**. Yeah at
> the honolulu gigs last time was my favorite song i
> wish they would play it more often. You know i go
> to so many stones gigs it's hard to keep an exact
> account of everything if you get my drift.

Dont rub it in, Frank!

Peace
> and Happy holidays Gazza!

same to you, my friend!

Date: December 26, 2006 01:38

Gazza Wrote:
> stonesfrk Wrote:
> > Gazza you know i love ya! i knew you would be
> > there to correct me, because you know i'm
> usally
> > in some sort of altered state of mind at stones
> > gigs,even though you know i know my sh**. Yeah
> at
> > the honolulu gigs last time was my favorite song
> i
> > wish they would play it more often. You know i
> go
> > to so many stones gigs it's hard to keep an
> exact
> > account of everything if you get my drift.
>
> Dont rub it in, Frank!
>
>
> Peace
> > and Happy holidays Gazza!
>
>
>
> same to you, my friend!

HA HA! hopefully we will be seeing a stones gig next summer together with a bunch of the boy's! and of course cindy c,cannot forget her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-26 01:42 by stonesfrk.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 26, 2006 04:27

My two cents:

I saw the Columbus show on this tour. Wonderful. And I have amassed many bootlegs from the trek. The best shows I heard were Columbus (and not just because I was there), Toronto and the MGM Grand. Superb. Knockout versions of Moonlight Mile, Saint of Me (it really gelled on this tour), Some Girls, and chesnuts like Get Off Of My Cloud and Paint It Black made this a must-see tour. Mick's singing was a little more tired and rote though, what with having come off a long American B2B tour, but he shined on many numbers. A brave and strong tour.

Posted by: Monty5 ()
Date: December 27, 2006 15:41

StonesTod Wrote:
> Jagger ain't that much of a singer to begin with
> if we're gonna keep it real. He's a performer........

If I never saw the Stones live (thus not being able to see Mick Jagger perform), they would still be my favorite band based on studio albums. Mick is a fantastic singer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-27 15:51 by Monty5.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: December 27, 2006 17:23

slybri 74 wrote: I still can't believe what I am reading about this tour! Best shows ever, greatest tour, etc. Yes, the sets were great, but Mick's singing was terrible, compared to BTB,VL,Licks or BB. Oakland a great show?? Listen to Micks GOD AWFUL singing on Undercover. Moonlight Mile is sung so poorly as well. PAint it Black. Awful vocals compared to the STeel Wheels versions, or earlier version from BTB. Terrible. No balls behind it. ALl down the Line was performed poorly as well on the shows they performed it at. Again, poor singing. The Vegas '99 could be the worst vocal performance by Mick EVER at a Stones show. Yet, people here label it as great and fantastic. Vocally embarassing IMHO. You people need to get your ears checked, and actually listen to the singing.

Well, slybri74, I hope you were there for a show or two and not just referring to the bootleg from the opening night. This was the first time many of us EVER got to see the Stones in an arena. They played a few arena shows the previous year in NY and Vegas some in Europe, but that is it. VL, once again a predominantly stadium only tour, SW, nada, and in '81 I was at the Philly show which was a stadium show. In a more intimate setting, there was not a bad seat, especially with a very large b-stage. As I stated earlier, the setlists were drastically different from previous tours, they left some of the tired warhorses at home, played some never before played nuggets and changed the show from night to night. Sure there were some nights that sounded better than others, but this was a great opportunity for many of us to see them for the first time in a more intimate setting and their overall performance was very good. I would rather have had a live CD from that tour than the BTB tour, but we essentially have some of those nuggets on NS anyway.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 27, 2006 18:25

I loved the opening and song selection, etc, but i saw it in Memphis at the Pyramid and the sound was very muddy way up where I was seated.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 27, 2006 18:40

All Down the Line from MSG 3 rocked, including the vocal.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 27, 2006 20:02

A DVD from this tour was sorely missed. Perhaps we'd have to wait after the boys (or just Mick) to kick the bucket until the vaults are opened and DVDs from each tour will be released.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 27, 2006 20:17

I pretty much liked this tour..and I really had a ball..but it was the first tour without an album..to push..so it felt like a party without new gals...that problem was even bigger with licks..wich I enyoyed also...when they did their new song (dont stop) the crowd loved it...they could have done bla bla...till now this tour that is over...maybe...not many new tunes..but they have good new tunes...so Security brought us where we are now...i accept and party anyway...but...slow is bound to play!!!

Date: December 27, 2006 22:22

I think A bigger Bang was better myself,but maybe because i saw alot more show's this tour but some of the show's from security i saw were shi*** i did not see a shi*** show this tour once. Some of the best stones show's in my 27 years seeing them were this tour not security.

Date: December 27, 2006 22:30

Monty5 Wrote:
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Jagger ain't that much of a singer to begin
> with
> > if we're gonna keep it real. He's a
> performer........
>
>
> If I never saw the Stones live (thus not being
> able to see Mick Jagger perform), they would still
> be my favorite band based on studio albums. Mick
> is a fantastic singer.

I agree! How do you define a good singer StonesTod. I think Jagger is one of the best!!! Not just performance wise either,that he takes the cake on as we all know.

Date: December 27, 2006 22:57

Jagger's a very good vocalist and serves the purpose of this particular rockn'roll band very well. But, he's not a particularly good singer...sorry. I would rate the following waaaay above him in terms of singing pipes:

Van Morrison
Rod Stewart
Joe Cocker
Eric Burdon

Posted by: slybri74 ()
Date: December 28, 2006 01:58

rockdoc8885 Wrote:
> slybri 74 wrote: I still can't believe what I am
> reading about this tour! Best shows ever, greatest
> tour, etc. Yes, the sets were great, but Mick's
> singing was terrible, compared to BTB,VL,Licks or
> BB. Oakland a great show?? Listen to Micks GOD
> AWFUL singing on Undercover. Moonlight Mile is
> sung so poorly as well. PAint it Black. Awful
> vocals compared to the STeel Wheels versions, or
> earlier version from BTB. Terrible. No balls
> behind it. ALl down the Line was performed poorly
> as well on the shows they performed it at. Again,
> poor singing. The Vegas '99 could be the worst
> vocal performance by Mick EVER at a Stones show.
> Yet, people here label it as great and fantastic.
> Vocally embarassing IMHO. You people need to get
> your ears checked, and actually listen to the
> singing.
>
>
> Well, slybri74, I hope you were there for a show
> or two and not just referring to the bootleg from
> the opening night. This was the first time many
> of us EVER got to see the Stones in an arena.
> They played a few arena shows the previous year in
> NY and Vegas some in Europe, but that is it. VL,
> once again a predominantly stadium only tour, SW,
> nada, and in '81 I was at the Philly show which
> was a stadium show. In a more intimate setting,
> there was not a bad seat, especially with a very
> large b-stage. As I stated earlier, the setlists
> were drastically different from previous tours,
> they left some of the tired warhorses at home,
> played some never before played nuggets and
> changed the show from night to night. Sure there
> were some nights that sounded better than others,
> but this was a great opportunity for many of us to
> see them for the first time in a more intimate
> setting and their overall performance was very
> good. I would rather have had a live CD from that
> tour than the BTB tour, but we essentially have
> some of those nuggets on NS anyway.
I saw 6 shows during the NS tour. Milwaukee,Chicago 2x, Memphis,Kansas, and Vegas. Again, I am NOT griping about the sets, venues, or even the guitar playing or too much CHuck. My only beef is with Mick's vocals. Vegas '99 is terrible vocally, especially compared to the fantastic vocals of Vegas '97. Gimme Shelter and Bitch from the CHicago shows are terrible vocally. Listen to the 3 United Center shows from the Licks tour. Those shows really cook. Again, NS is my least favorite Stones tour, due to Mick's UNINSPIRED vocals.

Date: December 28, 2006 01:58

StonesTod Wrote:
> Jagger's a very good vocalist and serves the
> purpose of this particular rockn'roll band very
> well. But, he's not a particularly good
> singer...sorry. I would rate the following waaaay
> above him in terms of singing pipes:
>
> Van Morrison
> Rod Stewart
> Joe Cocker
> Eric Burdon

StonesTod, Iknow where your coming from it's really just opinion. Obviously Jagger can't sing like some of the stuff Rod Stewert is doing now with all those old classic's imo,Eric Burden is great but not really my cup of tea as is Van or Cocker i can't stand at all,but that's just my opinion, i would take Ian Gullian or Plant over those guy's except Rod. That's just my taste though.

Date: December 28, 2006 05:50

Hey StonesTod, I love Carly Simon,Simone and Garfunkle,and many many others,but not as much as i like Jagger because i don't think i can say i don't like {1} single song that he sing's that i dislike. Just my opinion, I like every song Mick sing's with the Stones.

Date: December 28, 2006 06:58

well - it's certainly opinion - and everyone's got one. but, it's more than just a matter of taste, I think. There are singers whom I think are fabulous singers, but that I don't particularly like - Plant and Daltry would fit that bill. The four that I named earlier go beyond taste - they are just incredibly gifted singers, whether they are to your taste or not.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 28, 2006 07:02

StonesTod Wrote:
> Jagger's a very good vocalist and serves the
> purpose of this particular rockn'roll band very
> well. But, he's not a particularly good
> singer...sorry. I would rate the following waaaay
> above him in terms of singing pipes:
>
> Van Morrison
> Rod Stewart
> Joe Cocker
> Eric Burdon

Ok Tod,you obviously got the reaction you were looking for. I know you are from NoCal,but just say no to Humboldt dude! Stewart & Cocker better singers than Mick? Fun to listen to ya. Entertaining in their prime.OK. Good singers? Save some for me man!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home