Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Power Pop
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 9, 2014 14:36

I've been listening to a lot of Cheap Trick along with non-stop listening to AC/DC's new album. Anyone here know of any good new power pop bands with straight forward guitars?

For "new" bands I am a huge fan of Kurt Baker and the band The Connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 14:37 by JohnnyBGoode.

Re: OT - Power Pop
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 9, 2014 14:58

Blondie.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 9, 2014 15:25

Not new band, but
when I hear the word "Power Pop", Geordie and Heavy Metal Kids come up to mind.smiling smiley

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 9, 2014 15:54

Sloan out of Canada although not new are still making great music.

video: [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2014 16:00

Triggerfinger

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 9, 2014 16:19

When I hear or read about bands or styles that I don't know yet, I always look for some information on blogs and fansites, like this one: [powerpopoverdose.blogspot.com.br]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 9, 2014 17:25

Koen
Triggerfinger

...that's not really pop, is it?!

Sure, they had some hits (esp. in Holland) - but their overall sound ain't nothing like a pop sound, if you ask me.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2014 17:37

Maybe not pop, but is it power pop? From the almighty wikipedia:

Power pop is a popular musical genre that draws its inspiration from 1960s British and American pop and rock music. It typically incorporates a combination of musical devices such as strong melodies, clear vocals and crisp vocal harmonies, economical arrangements and prominent guitar riffs. Instrumental solos are usually kept to a minimum, and blues elements are largely downplayed.

Recordings tend to display production values that lean toward compression and a forceful drum beat. Instruments usually include one or more electric guitars, an electric bass guitar, a drum kit and sometimes electric keyboards or synthesizers.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 9, 2014 17:40

Big Star with Alex Chilton is the classic example of a power pop band.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 9, 2014 18:47

I've been listening a bit to one of my wife's new favorites over the past few days and think they might be at least close to the "Power Pop" definition presented above.

Foxy Shazam:

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 9, 2014 19:07

Cheap Trick - Awesome band, much underrated.

Big Star - "September Gurls" is perfect. "13" mentions "Paint It Black".

Raspberries

Joan Jett?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 9, 2014 21:52

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 9, 2014 22:02

The Romantics

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 9, 2014 22:34

I have no Idea if Nickleback falls in this category, but I was in my local Trader Joe's Market the other day wearing one of my guitar shirts and there was a checker probably more than 1/2 my age ringing me up. Noticing the shirt, she asked what bands I liked. I named several bands from the '60's up to the 2000's.

She then said she was impressed about the variety of bands I liked and asked me what I thought about Nickleback?....It then flashed on me what somebody once told me...."think what you will of Rush, U2 or even Yoko Ono, but you must hate Nickleback"....

So I was diplomatic in my answer, I told her I wasn't familiar with them (which was the truth). She looked at me like how could I have never heard of them?
(I heard of them, just don't know if I ever heard them)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 10, 2014 01:55

Raspberries is the finest example. They're awesome.

Cool to see Foxy Shazam listed! I love them, or at least their two middle albums are excellent. Sad they just broke up like 2 weeks ago.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 10, 2014 02:26

RollingFreak

Cool to see Foxy Shazam listed! I love them, or at least their two middle albums are excellent. Sad they just broke up like 2 weeks ago.

Saw the Raspberries at the Whiskey a go go. Keith Moon was there and sat in on a cover of Free's All Right Now. You should have seen the look on the Raspberries' drummer's face.

Date: December 10, 2014 02:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 02:36 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 10, 2014 03:01

From Yesteryear: Paul Collins & The Beat "Rock'n'Roll Girl" The Plimsouls "How Long Will It Take" The Records "Starry Eyes" The Real Kids "All Kindsa Girls"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 10, 2014 03:09

keefriff99
Big Star with Alex Chilton is the classic example of a power pop band.

Yep. Also Badfinger and the Raspberries.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 10, 2014 04:05

Silver Dagger

Great album.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 10, 2014 04:07

We just saw the Empty Hearts. Solid power pop.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: December 10, 2014 04:37

Redd Kross
The Figgs

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 10, 2014 09:05

Power Pop?

I Know!

KRAFTWERK

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: December 10, 2014 10:00

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 10:01 by RomanCandle.

Date: December 10, 2014 10:34

Spacehog

Date: December 10, 2014 11:52

A far more versatile band than this tag implies, but they made a couple of "powerpop"-albums. Here are a couple of tracks from two of them.

Motorpsycho:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 12:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 15:18

BluzDude
I have no Idea if Nickleback falls in this category, but I was in my local Trader Joe's Market the other day wearing one of my guitar shirts and there was a checker probably more than 1/2 my age ringing me up. Noticing the shirt, she asked what bands I liked. I named several bands from the '60's up to the 2000's.

She then said she was impressed about the variety of bands I liked and asked me what I thought about Nickleback?....It then flashed on me what somebody once told me...."think what you will of Rush, U2 or even Yoko Ono, but you must hate Nickleback"....

So I was diplomatic in my answer, I told her I wasn't familiar with them (which was the truth). She looked at me like how could I have never heard of them?
(I heard of them, just don't know if I ever heard them)

I must admit, I do enjoy some of Nickelback's songs. I have their Greatest Hits CD, and I spend a lot of time in the car, traveling for work. It makes for a great, rocking time on the late night drives home. Lyrics are pure raunch ala AC/DC or Kix, but I'm not really listening to them for the cerebral effects!! LOL

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 10, 2014 15:21

RollingFreak

Crap... My wife really enjoyed going with friends to see them every six months or so. I never saw them and was thinking about tagging along next time. She said that they were a great live act. Missed that chance I guess.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 11, 2014 01:17

Dig....

Great band still putting out great stuffthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 11, 2014 01:23

...more recent.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home