Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: How was No Security Tour ?
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 22, 2006 16:14

Superb shot...any more?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 22, 2006 16:16

Perfect. As good as it gets.
I just loved it. Arena tour. Short and great.
I love stadium shows, but No Security was just fantastic.
They were already hot and running following
shows in 1997 and 1998. They knew they were soon
finishing the "big tour" with just 11 shows Europe summer 1999.
I wish they could do it another time, but I am afraid it won't happen.

Bjornulf

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 22, 2006 16:28

all Pitt Post-Gazette

Posted by: Monty5 ()
Date: December 22, 2006 16:36

All 3 shows I saw (Denver, Anaheim II and Las Vegas) were outstanding.

Probably the biggest thrill for me was the grainy black & white video that was used prior to the Stones taking the stage. The wait was over and the show was moments away. The video showed the Stones with a determined look on their faces walking slowly through a dark corridor of an arena and then getting on a freight elevator which took them to the back of the stage. When the freight elevator door was lifted open, Keith was at the front of the stage and ripped into JJF and the show was underway. Without a doubt, no other show or tour has had a more dramatic opening.

Memory Motel, YGTS, Sweet Virginia, MR, Shine A Light & Route 66 were exceptional.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: December 22, 2006 16:39

The setlists were the best and most diverse for this tour. They changed every night at least three numbers. They left "Miss You" at home, thankfully, although we did not get "Satisfaction" either.

I saw them twice on this tour, in D.C. and Philly. Similar shows, mostly because they were only one week apart, however I did get four different songs from the Philly show that I did not hear in D.C. and vice versa. "Out of Control" received a great crowd reaction as did "Saint of Me". Great opener with JJF and encore with Sympathy, Brown Sugar was too long and probably the worst version of Start Me Up in my opinion. They were the only two bumb numbers. Moonlight Mile was terrific, maybe not as good as the studio version, but nice to hear and glad they took a chance on playing it. We got All Down the Line, the only time on the entire tour, and it was really good. Too bad, the D.C. crowd didn't react as well, they may have continued to play it in subsequent East Coast shows. Respectable rocked and You Got Me Rocking was not too tired at that point, much like it is now. Rambler was awesome and they played "Imagination" at the D.C. show. At or near the top of my list on tours and individual shows since and including '81.

I think they missed out on a great opportunity to promote ABB this past Winter in the States. Being indoors, I would have preferred to hear some hidden nuggets and more from ABB. I was at the Baltimore show and they played only two ABB cuts and one of them belonged to Keef.

No Security was great, their first all indoor tour since'75.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 22, 2006 17:43

little queenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big Al Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Koen Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Is there a recommended concert that can be
> > found
> > > on Rocks Off?
> >
> >
> > You might find Shepards Bush Empire on there
> > (though the Euro/UK 99 shows were not actually
> > part of the No Security tour) or Sacremento.
> Both
> > of those are pretty good.
>
> Luckily I went to both of those shows, though
> regret not travelling further to Oakland,
> considering the reviews.
>
> What were the Euro/UK shows called if not No
> Security?

The UK shows in '99 were part of the Brisges To Babylon tour. They were rescheduled from the previous year. Some of the elements of No Secururity were there, but it had the BTB stage etc. It was the same with the other shows in Europe too.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 22, 2006 17:45

Great shot KSIE. He looks bloody cool and healthy too. Rock on Keith!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 22, 2006 17:54

Gazza Wrote:
And 'Moon is Up', far from being a
> 'trainwreck', absolutely smoked.

would you believe a "smokin' trainwreck"?

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: December 22, 2006 17:58

i saw the two Washington DC shows and Charlotte.
Finally see them in an arena.

I have one DC and the Charlotte on DVD.

Were there ANY pro shots on this tour?

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: December 22, 2006 18:14

Gazza, my man, I wish I " knew" you back in 1999, I could have had a drink with you in Hartford! We've discussed this before but those 2 Hartford shows were incredible! I saw 7 No Security shows in about 3 weeks and those 2 in Hartford and the 2 in Philly will always be top of my list! I was alone at the second Hartford show when they played " I Got The Blues" and I had no one to share that STONES MOMENT with, what a shame! I scared the girl next to me because I let out such a scream! She was about 18 and had clue what the song was!! No appreciation of Stones History. After that tour I went straight to my doctor, I had a bad case of pneumonia! The tour nearly KILLED ME!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 22, 2006 18:48

2 oustanding shows at Wembley. Thanks to them.

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: December 22, 2006 19:38

any DVD from this tour to be download anywhere ?

[profile.myspace.com]

pERRY

Date: December 22, 2006 20:21

I would not call Europe Summer 99 tour No Security. They opened up in Stuttgart with a touch of the No Security part, but it was stadium, all different. The No Security tour was "dressed in black" arena shows special style North America only. Probably one of the best tours I have ever followed.

Bjornulf

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: December 22, 2006 20:23

bv Wrote:
> I would not call Europe Summer 99 tour No
> Security. They opened up in Stuttgart with a touch
> of the No Security part, but it was stadium, all
> different. The No Security tour was "dressed in
> black" arena shows special style North America
> only. Probably one of the best tours I have ever
> followed.

for Europe 1999 Stones continued BtB-tour.

Big T

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 22, 2006 20:57

In Chuck's book, he stated that the tour was done due to some changes in British tax laws. Some would not have received what they were promised, so No Security tour was born.

Date: December 22, 2006 21:29

The UK government "invented" a new tax law during the spring of 1998. That law would have taken a lot of income away from the the crew, as a lot of them tax to UK. They decided to delay the UK shows from 1998 to 1999 so that the crew would not loose all that money. Pretty nice actually, and the side effect was we got one of the greatest tours ever: No Security.

PS. Don't give me this talk about this was done to save tax for Mick, Charlie and Ronnie (Keith lives in USA). They spend most of the year away from "home", and I am pretty sure they don't pay any tax at all to UK, especially not during tours. Guess why they rehearse in Toronto Canada? Guess why they never spend too many months in USA before they move on? After 40+ years in the business they know what they are doing tax wise.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 22, 2006 21:42

>No Security was great, their first all indoor tour since'75.

Except they did play outdoors in '75.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 23, 2006 04:05

bv wrote:

Don't give me this talk about this was done to save tax for Mick, Charlie and Ronnie (Keith lives in USA). They spend most of the year away from "home", and I am pretty sure they don't pay any tax at all to UK, especially not during tours. Guess why they rehearse in Toronto Canada? Guess why they never spend too many months in USA before they move on? After 40+ years in the business they know what they are doing tax wise.

Huh? I simply restated what Chuck said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-23 19:44 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: December 23, 2006 04:13

Following the very high energy level of the Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge tours, Bridges was the the first time I thought they had slowed/aged a little. Then, came the No Security Tour of arenas and it took years off their ages by not having to play to huge stadiums. Going to the smaller venues was a great move for them. Great tour. I was a little disappointed with B2B, but then I loved No Security.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 23, 2006 11:00

The was no pro shot video that I know of, although the San Jose shows were filmed. Audience videos were:
2/15/99 Minneapolis
2/25/99 Toronto
3/7/99 Washington D.C.
3/11/99 Pittsburgh
3/15/99 Philadelphia
3/16/99 Philadelphia
3/20/99 Charlotte
3/28/99 Hartford
3/29/99 Hartford
3/29/99 Hartford (different video)
4/8/99 Memphis
4/10/99 Oklahoma City
4/12/99 Chicago
No Security Anaheim (18 minutes) Tampa (36 minutes) Fort Lauderdale (49 minutes)

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 23, 2006 17:57

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Don't give me this talk about this was done to
> save tax for Mick, Charlie and Ronnie (Keith lives
> in USA). They spend most of the year away from
> "home", and I am pretty sure they don't pay any
> tax at all to UK, especially not during tours.
> Guess why they rehearse in Toronto Canada? Guess
> why they never spend too many months in USA before
> they move on? After 40+ years in the business they
> know what they are doing tax wise.
>
> Huh? I simply restated what Chuck said.

It was pretty much proven after the event that (despite the official announcement) the 'tax' issue wasnt done for the crew's benefit but primarily for the band's, as most of the crew were US citizens who would not have been liable for UK income tax bills. The Stones voted between themselves to scrap the UK leg -Keith abstained as he was a US resident and Mick was outvoted 2-1 by Charlie and Mick.

cant say I blamed them for postponing the tour - I'd have done the same myself had I been in the same position - but the "we're only doing it for the little people" excuse was a crock of shit. As was the promise to the UK fans that they'd play 10-12 theatre shows the following year to make up for the inconvenience.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 24, 2006 06:53

Debra Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------ I was
> alone at the second Hartford show when they played
> " I Got The Blues" and I had no one to share that
> STONES MOMENT with, what a shame! I scared the
> girl next to me because I let out such a scream!
> She was about 18 and had clue what the song was!!
> No appreciation of Stones History.

I know what you mean. I was at the opening night show in Oakland. I had front row seats to a concert for the first time in my life. Me and my buddy were thinking what song will they never play,and we both said You Got The Silver. So when Keith started singing it, we both went crazy and everybody around us was looking at us like we really were crazy.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 24, 2006 07:09

NS tour reminds me of the 78 tour.
There was something tough about the NS tour. Short, to the point, no bullshit. Like BV says "in black". that sums it up perfectly for me. And Europe 99 was totally different. There was a completely other vibe to the NS tour from the preceding B2B tour.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: December 24, 2006 07:25

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
>>
> I know what you mean. I was at the opening night
> show in Oakland. I had front row seats to a
> concert for the first time in my life. Me and my
> buddy were thinking what song will they never
> play,and we both said You Got The Silver. So when
> Keith started singing it, we both went crazy and
> everybody around us was looking at us like we
> really were crazy.

well - it was hardly a shock, right? we knew they'd been rehearsing it steadily during the fillmore rehearsals the preceeding week. i would have been quite suprised if they hadn't played it. SG was THE highlight of the show for me - by a mile.

Date: December 24, 2006 07:34

Yeah Tod,but back in those days, I wasn't following them on the internet, and it was the opening night of the tour so we had no idea what they were going to play. But a great setlist,great show. A night, when my life was really sweet & charmed.

Date: December 24, 2006 07:40

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> Yeah Tod,but back in those days, I wasn't
> following them on the internet, and it was the
> opening night of the tour so we had no idea what
> they were going to play. But a great setlist,great
> show. A night, when my life was really sweet &
> charmed.

okay - you're excused then....'cept you coulda paid a visit to the fillmore itself? actually - they did a dress rehearsal in Oakland the day before the show and they revamped the setlist quite a bit at the last minute - worked hard on Midnight Rambler, which originally wasn't going to be played on the tour...turned out to be one of the night-in-and-out highlights on the b-stage...although on opening night it was the first encore on the main. The only song that they rehearsed alot that was never played was the ol' Little Walter chestnut, Confessin' the Blues. I really thought we'd get that on the b-stage that night, especially when Mick grabbed a harp - but instead it was I Just Want to Make Love to You. Still waiting for Confessin.....tick,tick,tick

Date: December 24, 2006 07:49

If I remember corectly,(that's always an adventure) the encore was MR and SFTD. That show has made it very difficult for me ever since,when I go to a stones show,because I just keep thinking how good they were that night. I actually caught the the last two shows of the tour as well. But by then they were starting to sound a little tired.

Date: December 24, 2006 07:52

definitely - although the MR on the first SJ show was among the best i've seen. i wasn't going to make either SJ show until they were postponed until the end of tour....seems i was leading a charmed existence myself that tour!

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: December 24, 2006 08:09

Does the "No Security" cd do justice to the tour?

I did not see them on that one (do not think they played NY--Hartford/Philly may have been the closest) and I never bought the cd though I have heard it, certainly not recently--I think I was "burnt out" on live records following every tour and the cover freaked me out--lol.

I do remember HATING Dave Matthews destroying Memory Motel.

Date: December 24, 2006 08:10

StonesTod Wrote:
> definitely - although the MR on the first SJ show
> was among the best i've seen. i wasn't going to
> make either SJ show until they were postponed
> until the end of tour....seems i was leading a
> charmed existence myself that tour!

Amen Brother!

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"