Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: If Brian Jones HADN'T DIED ... ?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 20, 2010 00:00

I think if he'd have lived he would have still died early anyway, he just wasn't meant to be old.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 20, 2010 00:25

Wasn't he supposedly rehearsing with Steve Marriott and Humble Pie? It was '69 and the second blues-boom (Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac) was still taking place, so it is feesable that he could have found himself involved with one of the Britsh blues-orientated acts of the late 60's.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 20, 2010 02:22

Maybe something like Nico and John Cale after they left the Velvet Underground or Brian Eno after he left Roxy Music. The Stones were bigger than Roxy Music, of course, and much bigger than the Velvet Underground so he'd have had more attention but from what I've read I can imagine him on going along similar lines. Being on 'June 1, 1974' with them and Kevin Ayers, maybe.

And I'd like to think he'd have performed with his former girlfriend Zouzou.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 02:32 by Squiggle.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 20, 2010 05:59

He'd have become a full-time dreamer, or maybe a haberdasher.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 20, 2010 06:31

Brian's future if he hadn't died would have depended entirely on him getting it together. He was so ahead of his time, music wise, fashion wise. He was into the Warhol scene, and bored by it, before most people were aware of it. Maybe he could have been ahead of his time and gotten into rehab and/or psychotherapy. He obviously needed to get his health back, including his mental health. He had already abused drugs and alcohol to such a state that maybe they too would have ultimately bored him. His talent was not totally spent. He was still capable enough to perform his exquisite part on 'No Expectations' for the Rock and Roll Circus. If he could have got his confidence back, then maybe he very well might have done some musical experimentation in the 70s, ala Bowie on 'Low'. But the boy did love the Blues, and Rythym and Blues. They said he played 'Proud Mary' over and over that Summer of '69. It's hard to say whether he would have been capable of leading a band. He couldn't sing, and he didn't do Rock and Roll solos. He didn't write songs, or at least he never presented any quality ones to the Stones. It remained to be seen whether he could be a 'sideman' with another group. Such talent, such tragedy.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 20, 2010 08:48

He should have been 68..I wonder if he would have been alive as a musician..maybe as a man of the church or something other religious...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 20, 2010 10:57

He would have died on 1970, 1971.....................
Or be a very fat boy living alone in a dirty London suburb underground basement

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:13

Would he have formed another band ?
What would he have think of the Stones recordings after 69 ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 13:53

the stones would be the same today and brian would be another mick taylor, never getting anything together.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 20, 2010 14:20

We'd have been arguing about whether he's wearing a wig or not, criticising his weight and comparing his vibrato unfavourably to that of Mick Taylor. Oh yes, and moaning about not touring and complaining about the setlists when he did tour.

Only kidding (i think)

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: August 20, 2010 16:42

BrianJones1969
According to Terry Rawlings, the author of the book Who Killed Christopher Robin?, Brian "would've looked horrible, made some terrible experimental music and probably just have died anyway. Some people just aren't going to make it. And he was one of them."
Terry Rawlings is stuck with his head in his ass and shouldn't be taken seriously. His interest in Brian is only about the image of Brian as the "sex, drugs and rock n roll"-icon. He doesn't care about the person/musician Brian Jones. Don't forget that it's his crappy book that the horrible movie "Stoned" is based upon.

If Brian would have lived on I highly doubt that he would have returned to the Stones. Why would they want a guy back who doesn't know his place and why would he want to go back to be a puppet under Mick and Keith?
It's impossible to say what Brian would have done as he had just gotten his life somewhat together in mid 1969. My guess is that if he would have kept staying off drugs and booze he would most likely have joined or formed a new band to play blues or rock in the style of CCR. Maybe he would have made another soundtrack?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 01:13

baxlap
He'd have become a full-time dreamer, or maybe a haberdasher.

Hilarious, Baxlap! Gotta luv Tap!

Personally, I think if he survived the drowning, it was a matter of time before something else happened. Drugs or some 15 yr old girl's father would have killed him or he would have ended up in jail.

Date: August 21, 2010 02:07

buffalo7478
Drugs or some 15 yr old girl's father would have killed him or he would have ended up in jail.
What? Brian didn't do any of that in mid 1969. He was trying to get his life together and he was scared shit about being caught again because of drugs.
I don't know what you've read but there are no records of him banging 15-year old girls. It was Mick that had the hots for underage girls (Stray Cat Blues & Mackenzie Phillips) - not Brian.

Man...Brian still gets a lot of shit 40 years after his death and most of it is just utter BS.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: August 21, 2010 02:58

He wrote The Degree of Murder soundtrack so maybe more soundtrack work. Also, producing might have been something he would have looked into as he had an ear for music.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 21, 2010 04:19

He was too far gone. He would've died from drink a few years later, broke, alone & cast aside. Somebody would have found him in his London bedsit after he'd been dead for days or even weeks. Sorry to be a bummer about this but I really believe it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 21, 2010 08:25

Anybody heard the 'Degree of Murder' soundtrack? Interesting? No?

Date: August 21, 2010 13:56

HEILOOBAAS
He was too far gone. He would've died from drink a few years later, broke, alone & cast aside. Somebody would have found him in his London bedsit after he'd been dead for days or even weeks. Sorry to be a bummer about this but I really believe it.
Well, there's nothing that support that. There seem to be so much guilt in people (read Keith) that knew Brian that they accuse him for all kinds of BS to protect themselves emotionally. The "scandals" in his life have been getting to much attention such as Anita leaving him for Keith.

Brian wasn't gone or broken down during his last months and he didn't make the drug/drinking trips to London anymore. He wasn't alone either as he had support from Anna, Aleksis Korner and even his parents by then. His biggest thing in life seem to have been getting a new band together and to live a life without drugs. People that met him then say he was happy, full of ideas and that he looked better than ever.

24FPS
Anybody heard the 'Degree of Murder' soundtrack? Interesting? No?
It's a great score to a bad movie that clearly shows that Brian was both capable to compose music and to make interesting arrangements. The movie director Volker Schlöndorff praised him for it. It's blues, country and rock all together played by some very talented musicians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 13:58 by tonterapi.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 14:51

Perhaps Brian would've moved to Southern California where the Rolling Stones were always popular and lived in say, Laurel Canyon, found himself a decent songwriting partner, and put out minor selling bluesy albums. I think that he would have a small fan base that would pick up his music.He would have company in the Canyon with fellow Englishmen Graham Nash and John Mayall...Mayall would help with getting the blues chops together and Nash would bring the hippie vibe and mellow Brian out.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:42

jeff14
Perhaps Brian would've moved to Southern California where the Rolling Stones were always popular and lived in say, Laurel Canyon, found himself a decent songwriting partner, and put out minor selling bluesy albums. I think that he would have a small fan base that would pick up his music.He would have company in the Canyon with fellow Englishmen Graham Nash and John Mayall...Mayall would help with getting the blues chops together and Nash would bring the hippie vibe and mellow Brian out.

This seems very credible to me. Brian seemed to have liked California a lot and knew a lot of the big shots there. A change of scene is what he needed in 1969, and I'm not talking about some country home outside of London.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:46

If Brian was ever to have continued in a good way, he had to address his family situation, starting first with his parents. Then he had to work his way back into the lives of his children. I believe not knowing any of his 4-5 children haunted him and was a big source of his drinking, drug problems. I believe by meeting his dad a few weeks before his untimely death, Brian may have been going in that direction.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:54

he would of created a band like creedence clearwater revival

Date: August 21, 2010 20:09

Although we don't know how well he was at the time of his death and there are disagreements about exactly how clean he was and all sorts of things might still have gone wrong, photos do support those who say he was in better shape towards the end of his life. He looks battered but much healthier than he had a couple of years earlier, at the time of the trials.
If Brian had been pulled from the pool ten seconds earlier he might have the sort of reputation which Keith has today. You know, after the blast it'll be just the cockroaches and Keith.... But from Bill's book it sounds as if Keith wasn't far from a fatal overdose in the seventies and if the fisherman in Marseilles on whom he pulled a toy gun had been having a worse day, he might easily have died then. And then he'd be the one with the image of having being doomed to never grow old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 20:10 by Squiggle.

Date: August 21, 2010 20:23

Big Al
Wasn't he supposedly rehearsing with Steve Marriott and Humble Pie? It was '69 and the second blues-boom (Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac) was still taking place, so it is feesable that he could have found himself involved with one of the Britsh blues-orientated acts of the late 60's.

Keith and Jane Relf and Jim McCarty were floating around, too, and Christine Perfect. And Brian's supposed to have been contacted by members of Vincent Crane and Carl Palmer of Atomic Rooster.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-17 22:09 by Squiggle.

Date: August 22, 2010 04:03

neptune
If Brian was ever to have continued in a good way, he had to address his family situation, starting first with his parents. Then he had to work his way back into the lives of his children. I believe not knowing any of his 4-5 children haunted him and was a big source of his drinking, drug problems. I believe by meeting his dad a few weeks before his untimely death, Brian may have been going in that direction.
Brian's parents spent a weekend at Cotchford some days before he died and Lewis has said that Brian was all good spirits when they left. It must have felt good for Brian to feel that he had his parents support again.

Anyway, I also believe that he would have tried to establish contact with his kids again - at least Mark and Julian for starters.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 22, 2010 05:42

He would have accepted a teaching position in Australia.

Date: August 22, 2010 06:18

We like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. There wasn't rehab. His doctor did say that his drug requirements were less and he showed considerable improvement, so he should be given some credit.

Posted by: BeachGirl ()
Date: August 22, 2010 16:47

Brian was interested in world music and I feel he would have developed his talents by intertwining music from other countries. He probably would have also pursued his blues music and probably written movie scores as he had success with this in the past. He would have NEVER left Cotchford Farm as he was very spiritually connected to it and Winnie the Pooh. He knew the stories by heart and he found comfort in being there. Brian, according to his housekeeper Mary Hallett, would read his Bible daily. Remember he was raised in a conservative religious household. He was off the drugs and was feeling better for it. Although he still drank and this might have posed a future health problem as two dark spots were found on his liver during the autopsy. If he did marry it probably should have been to Pat Andrews as she was and still is his devoted lover and friend. Their son looks so much like Brian - more so than his other children. Although he loved Anita Pallenberg she was poison. Look at her now - an old woman before her time. Brian would have been shocked to see this former beauty. Brian would have loved ITunes, YouTube and the internet. He never did like and was suspicious of signing contracts so these new musical outlets would have pleased him. He would have been devastated about Hendrix as Brian took great pride in calling Jimi a friend. Having been on the top and having fell so low I think Brian would have had his own studio at the Farm where he could record in peace.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 22, 2010 17:02

Had he lived, he would have went on to do somethhing creative and good, just like he had been doing since he got hooked on music.

He may have lost interest and passion for the stones, but not music.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 22, 2010 17:23

colabortaion with hendrix. later more into jazz and experimental music...

Date: August 22, 2010 18:20

BeachGirl
If he did marry it probably should have been to Pat Andrews as she was and still is his devoted lover and friend. Their son looks so much like Brian - more so than his other children. Although he loved Anita Pallenberg she was poison. Look at her now - an old woman before her time. Brian would have been shocked to see this former beauty. Brian would have loved ITunes, YouTube and the internet. He never did like and was suspicious of signing contracts so these new musical outlets would have pleased him. He would have been devastated about Hendrix as Brian took great pride in calling Jimi a friend. Having been on the top and having fell so low I think Brian would have had his own studio at the Farm where he could record in peace.

Brian's first love was music. Hopefully, if he worked out all his problems ( emotional and drink/drugs) everything else would have fallen into place.
BeachGirl - why Pat Andrews? Can't see that happening at all...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home