Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Album recommendations for newbies
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 8, 2006 03:17

A younger friend of mine who's not familiar with the Stones must be starting to wonder what the attraction is - she has asked me what she should get as her first Stones album. I find this a difficult question and end up thinking of Forty Licks as the easy answer. I'm curious to know what anyone else in this situation has recommended and did it go down well? Otherwise, what would any of you good people would recommend as the ideal first choice anyway?

Re: Album recommendations for newbies
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2006 03:42

My advice would be Sticky Fingers. It's the most perfect album Stones did, not necessarily the best, but the album that grooves no-matter if you're a newbie or an expert. It contains both blues, country, riffy rock, sleezy cookin' rock, heart and soul. Besides, who can resist a zipper made for zipping?

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: October 8, 2006 05:32

Although I didn't really like it upon first listen, get her Let It Bleed. I understand that's what may Stones fans started out with.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 8, 2006 06:02

For a young person, my advice would be Some Girls. It still has an edgy sound and several tracks that get airplay.

Date: October 8, 2006 06:08

3 different suggestions, during the first 3 posts...sounds good.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2006 06:26

Hey Beast...what about ya start at both ends and work on in.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 8, 2006 06:38

Edith Grove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For a young person, my advice would be Some Girls.
> It still has an edgy sound and several tracks that
> get airplay.

some girls was the first stones music I really got into. songs like Miss You BOB Imagination and shattered.

the first album I actaully 'bot' was let it bleed though.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 8, 2006 06:43

I would also recommend Some Girls. It's straight up rock and roll, some of the other ones are more bluesy, countryish, etc. I've tried having people jump right into something like Beggar's Banquet, and they don't know what to make of it for some reason. Yeah, I know it's weird.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: October 8, 2006 08:03

start with dirty work cos every one after it will be better

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 8, 2006 08:43

CindyC Wrote:
> I would also recommend Some Girls. It's
> straight up rock and roll, some of the other ones
> are more bluesy, countryish, etc. I've tried
> having people jump right into something like
> Beggar's Banquet, and they don't know what to make
> of it for some reason. Yeah, I know it's weird.

its not that weird, beggars banquet took time to grow on me. Its hard to go back and think what was exactly was going through my mind when I first was listeining to it, but I didnt exactly like it. But then songs from it would pop up in my head and I would go "Holy SHIT, thats good! I wanna go back and listen to that again".

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: October 8, 2006 09:09

CindyC Wrote:
> I would also recommend Some Girls. It's
> straight up rock and roll, some of the other ones
> are more bluesy, countryish, etc. I've tried
> having people jump right into something like
> Beggar's Banquet, and they don't know what to make
> of it for some reason. Yeah, I know it's weird.

I had that problem with Let It Bleed and Exile (the first Stones albums I bought, I bouth them at the same time). But I kept giving them a chance, and they grew on e everytime and now I love them, which led me to love every Stones album that came after. Those two and mlmost every single one of them continue to get better with each listen.

Date: October 8, 2006 09:28

I suppose it depends on what kind of music she's into. If she's a rocker chick, she might dig Some Girls. If, as is more likely, her tastes gravitate toward lighter pop, I would start with Hot Rocks. Wild Horses is sweet and romantic and should capture her heart. I would introduce her to that song first, either through Hot Rocks or 40 Licks. Almost Hear You Sigh can work in the same way. Once she has been hooked by the hits, Sticky Fingers is the best entry level album. If she's still paying attention at that point, pull out Tattoo You, not because it's a first-string album, but because it's relatively accessible. Some Girls, Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet can come next. I would save Exile until she's gotten into Aftermath, Out of OUr Heads and It's Only Rock'n'Roll.

Date: October 8, 2006 10:55

My best way to break in Sturgeons (Stones Virgins) is giving them "Hot Rocks" as it spans the 60's, "Made in the Shade" as it covers the early 70's and "Get yer Ya Ya's Out" just cuz it's cool.

...and the next day I give 'em all the rest! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-08 10:56 by NumberOneStonesFan.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 8, 2006 10:58

SHE it was, well there are Donny Osmond and stuff.....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: October 8, 2006 12:21

Aftermath (SACD), definately

MV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-08 12:22 by mistervinyl.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 8, 2006 12:35

Woah - all such good suggestions so far (Donny Osmond excluded). Fankyew all very kindly. But it's still so difficult to pick ONE from all those. I think I'll have to burn not a few CDs to give her - along with a copy of all your expert opinions! Keep 'em coming...

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: October 8, 2006 13:31

angie,start me up,wild horses,dead flowers.
Are super and also good starters.
Then straight on to Exil, stuck for life.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 8, 2006 13:40

Either start with both England's Newest Hitmakers and A Bigger Bang or start with Forty Licks.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 8, 2006 14:46

although i learned of them through some girls at age 11, hot rocks was my first albumn of theirs, but hot rocks II - with their psychedelic and blues-based hits - was the one that really hooked me on them.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 8, 2006 15:19

My advice would be in that order Get Yer Ya Ya's, Flashpoint, Stripped and No Security.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: October 8, 2006 16:01

What led me to buy every single Stones album over the last 30 years was believe it or not Rolled Gold.

Date: October 8, 2006 17:17

jagger50 Wrote:
> What led me to buy every single Stones album over
> the last 30 years was believe it or not Rolled
> Gold.

That's not difficult to believe.
It's one of the best RS compilations.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 8, 2006 19:15

Just don't start with Satanic... Save that one till much later. I've made that mistake... Now, I'd go for Forty Licks and A Bigger Bang, actually. To show her what they were about then and what they're about now. And some boots from the Licks and this tour, to capture the live energy - which is where the magic is... (Not many days untill I'm gonna see them again! Yesssss!)

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 8, 2006 21:10

Come on. For any newbie, Forty Licks is the way to go. Career spanning retrospective at a great price. Hot Rocks is close --- I actually like it better because (i) the tracks are arranged chronologically, (ii) it has 3 essential early tracks (Time is on my side, Heart of Stone, As Tears Go By), (iii) it has a weird, but in my opinion great B-Side (Play W. Fire instead of Last Time), (iv) it is tighter - all killer, no filler, and (v) the live Rambler. The disadvantages of course are that (i) it's expensive for 21 tracks; and of course (ii) it ends in 1971 (so you miss the warhorses Tumbling Dice, IORR, MY and SMU).

Once the newbie has the hits, he/she can go back to the albums they are from to hear the songs in context.

Date: October 8, 2006 21:16

I don't know. I don't care much for compilations.
In fact, there's no artists that I really became interested in, by listening to a greatest-hits-album.
There's not any particular mood or feeling of a compialtion, especilly wide-spanning ones. Some are terrific, like the Faces box, or Rolled Gold....but most of them misses that special flow.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: October 8, 2006 21:18

for some one who likes rock I think the live stuff would get them interested in hearing more. YaYas to start and then some of the newer live ones.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 8, 2006 21:41

Many bids here.
I'd take Goats or Aftermath, as I got hooked on them.
Then over to Let It Bleed, after that Exile.
A Joker could be Singles Collection: London Years.
Of compilations Jump Back could be a nice starter.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 8, 2006 21:47

I forgot about Jump Back. That's a good collection and you can get it for about 10 dollars in the US. BUT, how can you give a newbie a Stones compilation that doesn't have Satisfaction or JJF?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 8, 2006 21:54

Maybe because he probably have heard them already... winking smiley

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 8, 2006 23:20

Big Hits(high tide...

Through the past darkly

Hot Rocks

More hot rocks

Rolled Gold

Rolled gold 2

Rewind

made in the shade

Fourty licks

---and tHeir Live--albums
--would be a good start

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home