Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Why does Mick announce the song they're about to play?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 8, 2006 16:37

I think it's a combination of all the stuff folks have mentioned.
A lot of the stuff mick comes out with is obviously cheesy nonsense...but at the same time I think it demonstrates a respect for the audience and for the fact that they are part of the event.
The current Mick Jagger would probably say it's just good manners really.

[I can't make up my mind whether Mick's become a nicer guy as he's got older...or whether he's just stopped pretending not to be ;^) ]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 8, 2006 19:07

Keith does the same. He has been playing the same two songs again and again, and still he keep thinking hard about what song he is going to play, and then he just remember, and says: "You Got The Silver" - or "Little T&A". It happens very often. No harm in that I think. And Mick usually says it if he is proud of what to come, like "Sway" or a new song like "Oh No Not You Again", or if he really want to throw out the title like a wake-up call to the crowd, tipically "Bitch"... But the never announce the big songs. Did you ever hear them announce Brown Sugar, Start Me Up or Satisfaction?

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 8, 2006 19:15

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you ever hear
> them announce Brown Sugar, Start Me Up or
> Satisfaction?

good point, BV. What we're waiting for is the announcement from Mick:

"Here's a song we're NOT going to play - Start Me Up" to cheers of woo-hoo everywhere!!!!! LOL

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 8, 2006 20:49

Now, that's a puzzle! Could it be because he's the front man? Could it be because most of the people on the shows have never seen the Stones before? Or because many of them were not even born when these songs were hits / recorded... It's actually quite polite of him to introduce the songs. We might think the Stones play just for us, hardcore diehard fans. But we're just a minority. They play for us, too, but most of the time, they have to cater to their new guests. I don't have a problem with that. And by the way, it's only on the not so well known songs that he says: This one's called... (Sway, Bitch, All down the line etc) Actually I know several Stones fans who don't recognise the opening riffs of what some on this site call "war horses". There are different types of Stones fans. We have the walking encyclopedias who have seen them 100 times, the average fan who's seen them once - before this show. And everything in between. And we have Bjornulf... How many shows by now, BV?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-08 20:51 by Tralala.

Date: October 9, 2006 01:19

He announces the songs to fill the space in between songs. Most entertainers & front-men speak in between songs and announce songs to fill the dead air. It's second nature and is a natural fit when listening to LIVE recordings/bootlegs.
Also, many audiences appreciate the personal touch when the singer is talking to them. Announcing a song is probably more habit and ritual than anything. First-timers may appreciate it where veteran attendees either have the setlist memorized or have a copy of it in their pocket.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: October 9, 2006 01:26

It doesnt bother me so much when he does in before a song, but worse when he underminds the band during the songs it becomes predictable and boring and ruins the classic songs.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: October 9, 2006 02:56

Charlie introduced songs a the smaller shows on the licks tour! it was pretty cool.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 13, 2006 18:20

To me it just seems to add to the sense of the show creaking along. He does this fake(?) stammering thing, and then when you're hoping the band will crank it up right after he's finished talking, there's more awkward silence before they finally start playing.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home