Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New Beck Album, The Information
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 4, 2006 02:18

Possibly his best ever for all the Beck fans out there. Very trippy and psychedlic. Recommended listening for Beck fans and Beck virgins alike. Anybody else heard this?

Re: OT: New Beck Album, The Information
Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 4, 2006 13:52

Waiting for the CD/DVD version as we speak.

Saw some excellant reviews, and then a few 'he's just doing the same thing again reviews'.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 4, 2006 15:39

I am actually a bit disappointed in this one. It does seem a bit repetitive to me, and I've been a Beck fan from before Loser.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 4, 2006 18:04

Can't wait to get it, especially if it's psychedelic. The only Beck album that's disappointed me was the last one; it wasn't bad just a bit underwhelming.

Posted by: danielb ()
Date: October 4, 2006 18:21

Just bought it. Very excited about listening to the whole thing. First few songs sounded great.

Last album was very underwhelming. Certainly a step sideways (if not a few steps back).

I do have to admit, I liked when he changed styles for every album. The last one killed that. This one feels like all of the previous albums put in a blender. Not necessarily a bad thing. Time will tell.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 4, 2006 19:18

Superb album. It's got all a Beck lover would want. And that just two years after Guero, which also was a very good album. Gonna play it very loud now. BTW: Rolling Stone wrote the piano in of the songs could have been on Beggar's Banquet.

Date: October 5, 2006 13:18

Apparently this will not be in the UK CD charts because of the plain sleeve with sticker sheet (so you can design your own sleeve) means it has an unfair advantage over other CDs !!!!

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 5, 2006 14:41

Unfair in what way? Are most album sleeves so crap these days that the chance to make our own doodles is thought to be risky for the industry...

Date: October 5, 2006 23:14

The GR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently this will not be in the UK CD charts
> because of the plain sleeve with sticker sheet (so
> you can design your own sleeve) means it has an
> unfair advantage over other CDs !!!!

I thought that was a joke until I read an interview where Beck said the same thing. That's one whacked out rule. Here's a link to the interview: [www.avclub.com]

Date: October 6, 2006 13:51

From NME.com

Beck banned from the charts
New album's extra features breaks rules
Beck's new album 'The Information' has been banned from the UK chart.

The record, which was released on October 2, has fallen foul of the rules set by the Official Chart Company.

The packaging of the CD, which includes a DVD feature and stickers that allow fans to design their own artwork, has made the album illegible in Sunday's (October 8) countdown.

According to the OCC, the DVD of homemade videos for each song on the LP - plus four random sticker sets designed by artists handpicked by Beck - gives 'The Information' an "unfair advantage" over other releases.

Commenting on the ban, a spokesperson for Beck's label said they knew they risked the album being dropped by the charts, but that Beck was keen to include the extras.

They explained: "We knew before the album was released that the DVD and stickers would affect its chart eligibility, but they're both such brilliant ideas that it was never a question of us doing anything different from what Beck had planned for the release of 'The Information'."

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 7, 2006 02:22

OCC: total idiots. Who would come up with nonsense like that?

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: October 7, 2006 02:26

beck has lost the plot. he's a scientologist..

i don't buy any products or watch movies involving this wacko cult.

Date: October 7, 2006 03:20

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
> beck has lost the plot. he's a scientologist..
>
> i don't buy any products or watch movies involving
> this wacko cult.

He is a scientologist, but unlike Tom Cruise and some others he doesn't make a big deal about it or try to push his view on others. Personally I don't care what religious views people have, whacko or otherwise, as long as they aren't hurting anybody and don't try to push them on others.

And in defense of scientology (can't believe I just said that, but ...), as wackey as it is at least they aren't destroying the American political system (Christian extremists) or crashing airplanes into buildings (Muslim extremists).

But really, who cares about all that, Beck's new album is terrific. My favorite track is Nausea. Here's a link to it: [www.yousendit.com] Now go out and buy the damn thing! Think of all the fun you'll have with the stickers!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 7, 2006 12:08

mr edward Wrote:
> Superb album. It's got all a Beck lover would
> want. And that just two years after Guero, which
> also was a very good album. Gonna play it very
> loud now. BTW: Rolling Stone wrote the piano in of
> the songs could have been on Beggar's Banquet.

the song sure is Strange apparition, and the reference sure is Jigsaw puzzle

Date: October 9, 2006 13:34

I got the CD/DVD but with no stickers !!

Beck must like the Stones, he opened for them a couple of times and did No Expectations with Beth Orton in London 2000 when she was his opening act.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: October 9, 2006 13:40

The GR Wrote:

> Beck ...did No Expectations with Beth
> Orton in London 2000 when she was his opening act.

He still covers it on his current tour. He did it last august at the Paradiso in Amsterdam.

Posted by: danielb ()
Date: October 13, 2006 17:21

Stellar album. Really worth picking up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1305
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home