Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: B-stage in Glasgow... woaw!
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 17, 2006 02:10

.........well I'm not gonna say I am surprised to hear that Blondie is playing even more guitar than first thought..........but if you stop to consider the lack of changes in their set lists....or Micks seemingly growing reluctance to take risks (and it ain't because he can't sing it anymore thats for sure!)........then other questions seem to spring to mind........it's gonna be very interesting to see what happens next week in Boston and if they really do make some significant changes.......

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 17, 2006 02:56

letitloose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheers Tod, and by the way Im listening to the
> Glasgow gig just now too. Love Shes so cold and a
> great version of Miss you where Mick actually
> sounds like he enjoys the song again!

damned straight on that. she's so cold should be in the set every night (and Sway) - if they're not going to throw many "rarities" into the set anyway - at least keep those we've got!

Posted by: j442211 ()
Date: September 17, 2006 08:30

I was right beside the b-stage in Glasgow, too, and, believe me, Keith was fuming. He ditched his guitar completely, stomped around and gave his monitor a good kick. Then he remembered where he was and tried a few (less than jaggeresque) dance steps.
How they got the guitar sound that good on the broadcast is a mystery but, at the show you really could only hear Ronnie.
The opposite was true on Satisfaction, where Ronnie changed guitar about 8 times till he got one that worked.......and that sounds every bit as ragged on the recording as it did live.

Date: September 17, 2006 09:30

PiotrRSpl Wrote:
> Jumpinjackflash59,
>
> hmmm - he is surely audible on the recording, I
> mean the guitar in open G. Not Ronnie. Yo ucan
> hear to electric guitars strumming. I recall that
> somewhere in the middle of the song Keith guitar
> suddenly came very loud, like a big bang. But...if
> Keith's guitar @#$%& up and he was not playing, it
> means somebody would immediately had to cover him.
> Strange, are you sure you took those pictures
> during the song? I mean Charlie is rather looking
> like waiting for a song to start and NOT playing
> drums at the moment the pictures were taken. Also,
> nobody else reported anything like that you're
> reporting. I mean no offense, I'm just curious...

The lady who took those pictures is a friend of mine. She was with me and my daughter in front of the b-stage. It was during Start Me Up. I swear!

First the tech checked one of the amps, no result.
Then he checked Keith guitar, no result
Finally somebody brought him another guitar

During the second part of the incident, Keith took off his guitar, looked at us like "hey sorry guys, it's no my fault, what can i do", then started walking and dancing on the stage.
One more time, i've no idea of what could be heard through the sound system. The b-stage was very close to the tiers, and because of the big roof, the echo was unbelievable. There were 2 Charlie Watts, the one we know, and another virtual one, playing the same thing 0,5 second after the real one. Awfull, the fact that the Stones could play without loosing the beat in such circumstances is still a mystery to me.

It not a suprise to me that nobody else reported the story.
A very small part of the audience post on stones boards, and it was Glasgow, not London or Paris (no offense Glasgow, but how much IORR members, or Shidoobees were there?).
To see what happened you had to be close to the b-stage.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 17, 2006 10:13

All I know is Keith played his parts during the Shanghai show! Blondie only had an accoustic on for a few tunes, the rest of the time he had maracas

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 17, 2006 10:51

PiotrRSpl Wrote:
> Strange, are you sure you took those pictures
> during the song? I mean Charlie is rather looking
> like waiting for a song to start and NOT playing
> drums at the moment the pictures were taken. Also,

Piotr, take a good look at the images.
We don't see clearly CW on the first one.
But on the other one, Charlie is playing for sure, and look at Darryl's left hand, there is no doubt.
As Glasgow show was broadcasted on the radio, I guess that missing parts of Start Me Up KR playing were replaced by other moments from another show, it's the easiest way to do in studio.

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: September 17, 2006 11:38

Massimo68 Wrote:
> PiotrRSpl Wrote:
> > Strange, are you sure you took those pictures
> > during the song? I mean Charlie is rather
> looking
> > like waiting for a song to start and NOT
> playing
> > drums at the moment the pictures were taken.
> Also,
> > nobody else reported anything like that you're
> > reporting. I mean no offense, I'm just
> curious...
>
> Piotr, take a good look at the images.
> We don't see clearly CW on the first one.
> But on the other one, Charlie is playing for sure,
> and look at Darryl's left hand, there is no
> doubt.
> As Glasgow show was broadcasted on the radio, I
> guess that missing parts of Start Me Up KR playing
> were replaced by other moments from another show,
> it's the easiest way to do in studio.
>
> [img61.imageshack.us].
> jpg

well, alright, but my question is - wasn't that show broadcasted LIVE during the show and later re-broadcasted few times? Because if they were broadcasting it live they wouldn't be able to edit anything, only for broadcasts.
but anyway I would love to hear audience recording from this show smiling smiley

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 17, 2006 11:58

Glasgow show was not broadcasted live.
It was broadcasted (august 28th) on BBC2 three days after the concert, so they've got plenty of time to mix the tape and correct some problems.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: September 17, 2006 12:28

I was in the front row at Keith's side of the B Stage at Hampden Park Glasgow. He had problems with his guitar/amp throughout Rough Justice and Start Me Up. In fact he kicked his amp and took off his guitar and actually danced on the spot.Charlie was also having technical problems and came off his drum seat twice to speak to the roadies/techies.
I expected the BBC soundboard recording to leave both these songs off however they chose Live With Me (probably due to major cock up at the ending) and Sympathy for the Devil (which lost it's way during long guitar solo )
A similar scenario happened at Glasgow SECC 2003 Licks Tour on the first night on the B Stage with Keith when the opening chords of Brown Sugar did not come through the amps.
Would add the performance at Hampden Park was indeed awesome and soundboard does reflect this.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 17, 2006 13:03

PiotrRSpl Wrote:
> please do not reply that it is to fill spaces where Keith or Ronnie are not playing. It is not true.

That is not what I meant. I have no problem with Blondie playing acoustic. On those few songs he is playing electric (JJF, Before They Make Me Run) he is not covering for Keith or Ronnie, but only adding some extra dimension.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 17, 2006 14:31

I was at the rail on Keith's side of the B-stage and also saw the same as Jumpinjackflash59 and hickorywind. I'm pretty sure this incident was mentioned several times in at least one thread immediately after the Glasgow show. I was really surprised to hear RJ and SMU on the broadcast - I had thought they'd definitely be omitted because the sound on those from my position was the worst I've ever heard anywhere and nothing at all like how they sound on the broadcast. I'm wondering how they sounded on the night to people who weren't right by the B-stage??

Date: September 17, 2006 14:46

Beast Wrote:
> I was at the rail on Keith's side of the B-stage
> and also saw the same as Jumpinjackflash59 and
> hickorywind. I'm pretty sure this incident was
> mentioned several times in at least one thread
> immediately after the Glasgow show. I was really
> surprised to hear RJ and SMU on the broadcast - I
> had thought they'd definitely be omitted because
> the sound on those from my position was the worst
> I've ever heard anywhere and nothing at all like
> how they sound on the broadcast. I'm wondering
> how they sounded on the night to people who
> weren't right by the B-stage??

I was at the rail on Ronnie's side in Glasgow. The sound is awful if you are really close to the b-stage, but improves the further away you get. On a soundboard recording you don't get the bounce-back that is experienced if you are near the b-stage at the show.

Posted by: j442211 ()
Date: September 17, 2006 14:50

Could it be they edited RJ and SMU in from another show (Twickenham??). Knowing the boys ability to b*lls things up - thats why we love them, of course - I'd be surprised if they didn't have contingency plans for exactly that sort of mishap.

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: September 17, 2006 14:51

I was on the second row and the sound for the B-stage section was fantastic - except for Ronnie, whose guitar could be heard but sounded as if his amp was inside some distant biscuit tin. Strangely enough, Keith (or Blondie?) could be heard loud and clear from where I was standing (on my chair, needless to say).

Posted by: Beast ()

It has to be said that the B-stage sound in Glasgow was MUCH worse than either Sheffield or Cardiff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-17 14:54 by Beast.

Posted by: Joss ()

BTW, I meant second row in front of the main stage.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: September 17, 2006 15:17

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: September 17, 2006 19:26

erikjjf Wrote:

>
> That is not what I meant. I have no problem with
> Blondie playing acoustic. On those few songs he is
> playing electric (JJF, Before They Make Me Run) he
> is not covering for Keith or Ronnie, but only
> adding some extra dimension.

Cool, so we both agree winking smiley

Massimo68 Wrote:
> Glasgow show was not broadcasted live.
> It was broadcasted (august 28th) on BBC2 three
> days after the concert, so they've got plenty of
> time to mix the tape and correct some problems.

Thanx Massimo68, I thought it was broadcasted live and it's what the guy at reception told me when I came back to the hotel. OK. So Keith had problems, and they edited it on broadcast later. I just don't remember Keith not being audible during the show on SMU, but well, if I would go to this show only I would remember it for sure, but you go here and there, so many shows, you remember too much smiling smiley

Re: B-stage in Glasgow
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 17, 2006 21:48

i was right up front at Glasgow, and it wasn't audible that anything was going wrong on the b-stage.
but it was noticeable that the sound got better during HTW, and stayed that way for the rest of the show.
i mean: as Beast said (heya Beast!) the sound wasn't brilliant at Glasgow, but it seemed to improve from HTW onward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-17 21:52 by with sssoul.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: September 17, 2006 22:32

PiotrRSpl Wrote:

Also,

I emailed bv with my review of this show, particularly the bit on the b-stage but it never got posted (not a problem though). I was surprised that SMU was played on the radio broadcast because it started to go wierd about halfway through the song. I was close to the b-stage and the sound went really strange, it was my wife who was beside me that heard it first and it was as if Keith's guitar went out of tune or something. Then it just went all together. Very quickly a guitar tech was on scene, tried something, keith kicked his amp, Keith tried again, still nothing, Keith took the guitar off, Keith finished the song by dancing infront of Charlie. I could swear that in the last minute or so of that song at the gig, only Ronnie could be heard playing. It didn't sound too clever and I was surprised that Ronnie never changed to play the main riff or improvise in any way at all. Listening to it now on the recording I would think that possibly Ronnie could hear Blondie playing the main riff through his stage monitors, possibly?

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: September 17, 2006 23:02

Arguements about Blondie aside, I think that they could have used another show as inserts here. If Keith couldn't hear the guitars right then it was an amp or guitar problem (as opposed to a PA problem) and this can't be fixed afterwards (except by overdubs).

I think that if the reports of this problem are accurate then it must be from Twickenham II or another gig.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 18, 2006 15:46

Wasn't keith's amp or monitor faulty for part of the B stage set at Glasgow ?

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: September 18, 2006 15:53

i would love to see keith dancing...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 18, 2006 16:00

"blondie is covering for KR alot more than many realize or are willing to admit."

?? Any evidence or just guessing?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 18, 2006 16:46

its quite obvious if youre sitting in the front few rows (especially on his side of the stage)- he's sitting down at the back playing guitar on more songs than he's onstage for. He's definitely playing a LOT more on this tour than on the last one

Date: September 18, 2006 16:55

Gazza Wrote:
> its quite obvious if youre sitting in the front few rows (especially on his side of the stage)- he's sitting down at the back playing guitar on more songs than he's onstage for. He's definitely playing a LOT more on this tour than on the last one

Correct. But he is not playing Keith's or Ronnie's parts ("covering").

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 18, 2006 17:00

depends on your definition of 'covering'. 'Filling in a few gaps' would be more accurate - in which case hes covering a few 'parts' that Keith doesnt play anymore.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 18, 2006 17:13

Beast Wrote:
> I was at the rail on Keith's side of the B-stage
> and also saw the same as Jumpinjackflash59 and
> hickorywind.

Hey Beast, I was right there at the rail too. Too bad I only met you at Sheffield, we could've given each other a high five or something else equally stupid! But I agree about the sound being AWFUL at that spot. I am not one who notices sound quality (I still like my scratchy records best), but that was VERY VERY bad. They were right next to me, but you could barely hear it. I've never experienced that before.

I still can't get the image of Keith dancing and glaring at his tech out of my mind. He's a cutie.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 18, 2006 18:18

ablett Wrote:
> "blondie is covering for KR alot more than many
> realize or are willing to admit."
>
> ?? Any evidence or just guessing?

visual and audio evidence from my 4th row seats at the London shows. You want me to get affidavits from Blondie and Keith, too, or will this suffice?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 18, 2006 18:42

It's not a case of playing parts that "Keith doesn't play anymore".
The Stones re-arrange numbers all the time. If Keith did find he could no longer play this or that lick...he'd just play a different one !
Most Stones songs have at least three guitar parts...sometimes more. I see Blondie sitting in on guitar simply as a way of reproducing that texture and feel on stage. I just don't see it as an issue to be honest.

The Stones have been a 7 or 8 piece band on stage for the last 30 years or so ...what's the big deal ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-18 19:11 by Spud.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home