Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Dirty Work - what were they thinking?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 15, 2006 14:57

That's a really good answer, Rockman. That's actually pretty deep for our littel Chatboard. LOL

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 15, 2006 19:10

I have to agree with Wandering Spirit, I keep a copy of DW in my truck and find myself listening to it quite often. I think it's a great album start to finish and would LOVE to hear One Hit live - in fact it was the opener on my dream selist back in July 05 when they were soliciting these from us. That would be a terrific way to start the show.

For me, if there's a bad stones album between 1980 and now...it's Undercover. It's got it's moments but songs like Too Much Blood really drag it down, and Undercover I can leave as well.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: September 15, 2006 22:27

Listen,I was almost 18 when Dirty Work came,I bought that album the next day after it came out,loved it then,love it now!At the time I didn't know about the so-called critics favorites and the so called golden era.All I knew was there was nothing else out at the time sounding so raunchy.Later on I started finding out about the Stones.At the time I had Dirty Work,Emotional Rescue,Let it Bleed,Rewind and Hot Rocks.I didn't get any other stuff until Steel Wheel and the Singles Collection..Then the flood gates opened.Dirty Work and Steel Wheels helped me go back to the beginning and study the history.I love the 68-72 period as much as the next man,but just because the critics and some of the fans want to concentrate on the so-called golden era doesn't mean I'm gonna take their word for it.
If I was over someones house and they put on Dirty Work,I would say that was a real fan,instead of one who said lets put on Exile like everyone else.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 15, 2006 22:32

sure, Curtis - and if I'm at somebody's house and they put on Dylan's Knocked Out Loaded - I'd be impressed with them being a Bobby fanatic, but it still doesn't make it a good album......

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: September 15, 2006 22:53

It would make them more open to more stuff in a 44 year history.It's a fact that each new album after Exile gained them new fans who then back tracked.
I like the album and I like Undercover,but then I could go to December's Children or Out Of My Head in the same breath.It's better than most of the albums out that year.1986
The Stones are their only competition.1968-1972 versus everything else...

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: September 15, 2006 23:40

i like the cover with mick ejected from the sofa...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-15 23:44 by mistervinyl.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: September 15, 2006 23:59

1983-1988 was an extremely mixed up period for the 'Stones' with the two big 'Ego's falling out on a regular basis.
Mick thought that the band had went as far as it could go and they needed a rest from each other plus he attempted to do solo projects/tours as Mick Jagger & co.which were successfull apart from record sales.
This did not go down well with Keef who honestly believed that Mick was deserting his baby which was the 'Stones'and that he would not go down without one hell of a fight.
When Keef cleaned up from drugs in late 70's he was gratefull that although he turned up still doped but putting the songs together Mick had taken all the business work on his shoulders and did it all to cover their asses.
This had been going on since the early seventies but when Keef had cleaned up and attempted to regain his position in the pecking order it was obvious that Mick was in sole control and was not prepared to let it go.
Keef was not one happy cat at this stage and so the war between the 'Glimmer' twins became common knowledge.
The 'Glimmer' twins marriage was at breaking stage ,in fact most people thought it had went past that and was un-repairable.
Live aid in 1985 showed the great divide between the big two 'Ego's as Mick did a duet with Tina Turner basically ignoring 'Keef' and his request that the 'Stones should all perform together which confirmed that any chance
of a 'Stones' live re-union was not on the cards.
Only the record contract with CBS made the 'Stones' come together and the attempt to write and record a new record.
Ronnie Wood was often the middle party in communications between Mick & Keef who were at each others throats on a regular basis.
There is a lot to thank Ronnie for as he basically tried his utmost to keep the two 'Ego's ' pacified without offending them.
When you have an atmosphere / ingredients like that it spells a recipe for disaster and in many ways the quality of work on 'Dirty Work' represents how they both felt about each other at the time.
Fortunately they made up in Barbados January 13th 1989 and recorderd a new set of songs in record time follwed by the gigantic 'Steel Wheels' world tour.
Did they both realise after their solo projects that their real strengths lay in the 'Rolling Stones' or did money sing the tune that made them re-unite.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-16 00:41 by stones40.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 16, 2006 00:36

When you look at the charts that year you have to admit there were many hits and some very good songs. Yeah its easy to laugh it off, the 80s but fact is the Stones didnt have any good songs. Period. And Dirty Work is a cold album. I think they knew it was over by then and Jagger tried a solocareer. And then the 80s were over. And here come the comebacks and 60s retro.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: September 16, 2006 04:13

Anyone knows who did the guitar work on Winning Ugly?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 16, 2006 04:51

Oh, that crappy, crappy, radio-rock of The States! Dan Haggard, "the red rocker", whatever!!!

Death to all that smooth radio rock-formatting!!!!!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 16, 2006 05:10

I hate the 60s retro of the 90s. Suddenly many bands sounded like Velvet Underground or Syd Barrett, watering it out.

I love the 80s. The last honest decade, musically. People were looking forwards, not backwards.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 16, 2006 05:22

stones40 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Live aid in 1985 showed the great divide between
> the big two 'Ego's as Mick did a duet with Tina
> Turner basically ignoring 'Keef' and his request
> that the 'Stones should all perform together which
> confirmed that any chance
> of a 'Stones' live re-union was not on the cards.

Actually, it was Keith more than anyone who wanted nothing to do with Live Aid.

He only ended up playing there at the last minute because Dylan had decided that he wanted to play solo instead of with the band that Bill Graham had put together for him and got in touch with Woody to help him out. Only when Woody phoned Keith saying he was in his apartment rehersing with Bob did Keith become interested. This was less than two days before the gig.

Keith simply doesnt (in hiw own words) trust big scale charity events. he had no interest in Live8 either and missed out on a great opportunity to get the Stones together for the Concert for New York in October 2001 - leaving Jagger to go it alone. Like Live Aid, he had a late change of heart. Only when he suddenly showed up 24 hours before the show did Jagger's plans change. Mick would have been joined by Pete Townshend that night, otherwise.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: September 16, 2006 10:13

VoodooLounge13 Wrote:
> I have to agree with Wandering Spirit, I keep a
> copy of DW in my truck and find myself listening
> to it quite often. I think it's a great album
> start to finish and would LOVE to hear One Hit
> live - in fact it was the opener on my dream
> selist back in July 05 when they were soliciting
> these from us. That would be a terrific way to
> start the show.
>
> For me, if there's a bad stones album between 1980
> and now...it's Undercover. It's got it's moments
> but songs like Too Much Blood really drag it down,
> and Undercover I can leave as well.

Undercover is a friggin' classic, superior to even Tattoo You. Their best 80's
album and one of their very best of all time. Not one weak song on the album.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 16, 2006 11:30

>> Anyone knows who did the guitar work on Winning Ugly? <<

sure! Keith Richards.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 16, 2006 11:53

Keith did the guitar line for WU but it is doubled with a synth. the guitar itself might be stacked.
I like where someone a few posts ago called DW a "cold" album. IMO that sums up everyone's sentiments about it; good or bad. But ,aybe the reason the record sparks this controversy is just because it hits everyone as cold.
There is no warm numbers here. (Goat's head Soup - no there is a warm album..)

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 16, 2006 14:21

Well I called it cold because of the singing and playing, I dont feel anything really except maybe the anger in One hit. Their albums are always warm and emotional but this one... Sterile. Love Undercover by the way. Alwyas had, it is pretty crappy but Too much blood, Undecover and She was hot are truly their best 80s. Tattoo is actually 70s more or less. Undercover is pure 80s ala Stones. Miami Vice 80s. Steel wheels has too much comeback and midaged excuses on it. Too much calculating. Undercover is shameless in its attempt to keep up with the times.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: September 16, 2006 19:21

Early Spring 1986, and the new Stones album comes out - rock and roll lives again! - in a mid-80's musical landscape littered with the ashes of fallen Rock Gods and the rotting carcasses of the Rock era's dinosaurs the most cartilaginous of the species still stalk the terrain...the Stones are back! The blessed moment has come when hackneyed, innocuous sorts like Phil Collins, and Wham! and Genesis and all their ilk spewing insipid tripe over our faces will be blown away and rendered mute...salvation - in the form of these indestructible life forms called the Stones - is ours at last...and the music begins to roar and I'm hearing the firestorm of guitars and the angry, hateful lyrics spat out in rage and...where' Charlie? The supple, cracking, swinging rhythms that normally undergird the Stones sound and fury have been mutated into a stiff, swerving, echo-laden and angry bang...and Keef's gloriously ragged backup vocals have been replaced by a choir of faceless Elay Quincy Jones backup-vocal hacks, and the guitar solo is Jimmy Page from Zep [why?] and Mick doesn't sing so much as disgorge and retch...and the lyrics are mean and nasty and trite and formless...Fight, Had It With You, Dirty Work...gotta get into a fight, can't get out of it, wanna do it in the broad daylight I'm a truck I'm a suicide, you lazy mother, there's something filthy living in your mouth, find some fcuker find some jerk to do your dirty work, always shouting out instructions, I had it with you...not really lyrics so much as Keef and Mick's internal dialogue...as if they distilled all of their furious squabbles from the last 15 years and put them to song...and where's Charlie? And what the hell are these synths doping all over the place? And Winning Ugly and Back to Zero and Hold Back...and, Christ...what the HELL is this? And where's Charlie? By the time Keef sings Sleep Tonight I'm ready to lie down myself...gotta think this over...guitar attack is vicious and in top form and they're singing ABOUT SOMETHING, which they don't always bother to do, but somehow something is amiss...sounds like impostors have seeded themselves throughout the album...and, well, where the hell is Charlie? Gotta find Charlie...and Mick's old voice...and Bill...is Bill here? And Steve Lillywhite...can you get outta the control room pleeeze...go home...get away from these guys, OK? Gotta find the Stones...put 'em back together in one room and let 'em play...they could save a LOT of these songs...I know they can...guess I'll wake up tomorrow and try again...wish me luck...

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 16, 2006 19:30

I really love the album. Some of you think that I shouldn´t. I can read.

But isn´t music about feelings? I don´t care much for analyzing the sound of the drums or if it was a nr 1 for one or sixty weeks.

When you love something - you do.

And I don´t tell you to feel like I do. You like other records and songs. That´s great.

Bjorn

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 16, 2006 19:32

i don't think anyone is telling anyone els how to feel. sheesh....

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: September 16, 2006 19:41

As albums go it's not that bad. But with our high expectations of the Stones it falls below par. Recorded under harsh conditions and take a second look at that awful album cover.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: September 16, 2006 19:58

NickB Wrote:
> As an album it is poor for several reasons
>
> 1) The songs are crap apart from the covers Too
> Rude & Harlem Shuffle.
>
> 2) Jagger shouts the whole album and couldn't hold
> a tune in a bucket!
>
> 3) The songs are devoid of any tunes or really
> catchy melodies.
>
> 4) The production is fcukin awful.... even
> Lillywhite would probably agree.
>
> 5) They weren't bothered.... or the band was and
> Jagger definately wasn't hence his shouting all
> over the album.
>
> 6) The cover says it all.
>
>
> Compared to Dirty Work Emotional Rescue is a work
> of genius up there with Mozart.
>
> NickB
>
> ps If I were Keef or Mick I would make sure the
> record companies would delete it from their
> catalogues.
>
> pps. I could write better songs with my hands tied
> behind my back and my brain removed.
word. mick's singing is wretched throughout, shite back-up singers ruin one hit and sleep tonight (wtf were they thinking there?), back to zero is an embarassment.

Date: September 16, 2006 20:01

cc Wrote:
> "Winning Ugly" has one of the best vocals on
> the album; some tough-guy, some sly.
SKA-REEEEEEMAAANG, it blows goats lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-16 20:02 by Slick.

Date: September 16, 2006 20:05

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> "Dirty Work" is actually a KILLER
> rocktune, but falles completely apart when jagger
> starts messing around in the second half of song.
> One of the truest Stones
> moments on the record is "Had it with you".
word

Date: September 16, 2006 20:14

Turd On The Run Wrote:
> Keef's gloriously ragged backup vocals have been
> replaced by a choir of faceless Elay Quincy Jones
> backup-vocal hacks
lol. one hit was the beginning of the end, the 3 assclowns on stage soon followed. how ridiculous.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 16, 2006 20:20

-

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 16, 2006 21:57

Looking at how many responses this one got, I would see dirty Work is not just a througaway record. If the production would be different (with Chris Kimsey for example) it would be better. But I still like the record!

Posted by: stonesgirl ()
Date: September 16, 2006 22:58

One Hit is one of my favorite songs. I like Harlem Shuffle on the album as well.

The rest are bad, and some are really bad....Back to Zero, Winning Ugly, Too Rude (UGH) are not tolerable more than a few times.

And this is from someone who is a big 80's music fan. I grew up in the 80's so I think it had some influence, but this album just lacks good taste.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 16, 2006 23:15

I think there's only 3 of us on this board who cherish Sleep Tonight. One of my favourites.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 16, 2006 23:17

who's the other one then, Erik?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 16, 2006 23:19

with sssoul Wrote:
> who's the other one then, Erik?

Some guy up in Belfast.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home