Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guitar players: "Little T&A"
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 22, 2012 19:32

I've just started learning it that way, in Open G. For years I've always played it in standard, but the verses never sounded quite right in standard, much better in Open G.

Edit: That's not my video by the way, it's privettricker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-22 19:36 by NoCode0680.

Date: November 23, 2012 12:05

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Redhotcarpet
And thats what I always thought but Im still not sure!! I believe you Mathjis, and it makes sense, but I want proof! Isolated tracks would be great...

Er, it's just two guitar tracks with some overdubs. Plenty of outtakes available without the overdubs. And, why on earth would anyone want to play this in open G -it's much more complicated here, and it sounds totally different. And he plays the exact same guitar parts on the 81/82 tour, in standard tuning.

Mathijs

That's true, but there are verses where those two guitars are all Keith ("...snitcher's keep snitching...").

He claims it's open G himself, but it clearly isn't, at least not the main guitar which plays the riff. The other guitar (Keith, not Ronnie), I'm not that sure about, but I'll say it's in standard tuning as well.

PS: This ol' thread again, RHC?

The verses ("...snitcher's keep snitching...") is exactly the same as the verse of Whip it Up, the intro of Beast, Almost Hear You Sigh and about a dozen other songs, the main riff of Winter etc, etc, etc.....

It's just the addition of the F note on the D-string with the little finger to turn the C-chord into an F chord.

Mathijs

Although the main riff of Winter is played a bit differently (and probably by Mick), with only one finger on one string making the dim - not one finger on three strings as in the other songs, you may be right about Little T+A.

What makes it different than on the songs you mentioned is the bite in his sound. Probably due to the analog delay. Each string gets a "thicker" sound, and it sure fooled me into thinking it might have been open G (played a bit more sloppy, so you wouldn't hear the light e-string that good) on the overdubbed guitar there.

When listening more closely, you're probably right it's standard.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 23, 2012 12:24

It's gotta be standard. Privettricker is great and this open G version sounds perfect. Little T%A belongs in the same family as Shes so cold also in standard. Shattered is different but has some of that muffed riffing in standard tuning in it.

Date: November 23, 2012 13:10

Redhotcarpet
It's gotta be standard. Privettricker is great and this open G version sounds perfect. Little T%A belongs in the same family as Shes so cold also in standard. Shattered is different but has some of that muffed riffing in standard tuning in it.

It's hard to get the deep F that starts the song when you're playing open G, though smiling smiley

She's So Cold has been played differently by Keith, though. Standard on the album, open G in 81/82 and standard again on the BB-tour. I believe LSTNT also has been switched a little back and forth tuning-wise. On the B2B-tour, Keith played it in open G.

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: November 23, 2012 13:11

A chord in intro is not actual A in my opinion. It's just 2 open strings--> A and D. Try it- F, A (only open A & D strings), C & D, all 2 string power chords

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-23 13:48 by AllAboutYours.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 23, 2012 17:26

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Redhotcarpet
And thats what I always thought but Im still not sure!! I believe you Mathjis, and it makes sense, but I want proof! Isolated tracks would be great...

Er, it's just two guitar tracks with some overdubs. Plenty of outtakes available without the overdubs. And, why on earth would anyone want to play this in open G -it's much more complicated here, and it sounds totally different. And he plays the exact same guitar parts on the 81/82 tour, in standard tuning.

Mathijs

That's true, but there are verses where those two guitars are all Keith ("...snitcher's keep snitching...").

He claims it's open G himself, but it clearly isn't, at least not the main guitar which plays the riff. The other guitar (Keith, not Ronnie), I'm not that sure about, but I'll say it's in standard tuning as well.

PS: This ol' thread again, RHC?

The verses ("...snitcher's keep snitching...") is exactly the same as the verse of Whip it Up, the intro of Beast, Almost Hear You Sigh and about a dozen other songs, the main riff of Winter etc, etc, etc.....

It's just the addition of the F note on the D-string with the little finger to turn the C-chord into an F chord.

Mathijs

Although the main riff of Winter is played a bit differently (and probably by Mick), with only one finger on one string making the dim - not one finger on three strings as in the other songs, you may be right about Little T+A.

What makes it different than on the songs you mentioned is the bite in his sound. Probably due to the analog delay. Each string gets a "thicker" sound, and it sure fooled me into thinking it might have been open G (played a bit more sloppy, so you wouldn't hear the light e-string that good) on the overdubbed guitar there.

When listening more closely, you're probably right it's standard.

The C part is actually two tracks, Keith doing the C to full F, and I think Wood doing only the addition of the F note. There's indeed quite some slapback delay, and Tattoo You is mixed and mastered incredibly trebly -listen how the snare cracks and sizzles on this record. And indeed, T&A is all two-string power chords.

Mathijs

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 23, 2012 17:32

Redhotcarpet

I can't get the verses/rhythm in the solo to sound right in standard though. Otherwise I prefer playing it in standard.

As for She's So Cold, isn't there one standard and one Open G in that song? I've always just played it in standard myself.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2012 17:44

Definately in standard tuning when I've seen Keith play it. Open G works good for a slide on the second guitar. Tight delay on the guitar and dampeded with the side of the palm against the strings at the bridge. Smoke a coupla packs of cigs, a few shots of Jack, nail the vocal. You can't go wrong with that one. peace

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: November 23, 2012 21:58

She's so Cold is in standard tuning.

Why, oh why Ronnie (or is it Keith) have to play that intro the way we hear it on the Toronto official bootleg for example. Only standard power chords, nothing else.. Just like beginner would play it.

I think original riff is ingenious with that delay and the way it is played. not to mention slide guitar and one of the coolest video they ever done! Even Keith's 81/82 open-G version was great. I love that song but only early 80's version I must say.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home