Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking voted #1 Stones song on Sirius Satellite Rolling Stones Radio
Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: September 3, 2006 07:00

I caught the end of the Top 100 Stones songs countdown on the Sirius radio Stones channel. It ended up like this:

1 Can't You Hear Me Knocking
2 Gimme Shelter
3 Sympathy for the Devil
4 Satisfaction
5 Wild Horses
6 Brown Sugar
7 Dead Flowers
8 Jumpin' Jack Flash
9 Honky Tonk Women
10 Paint It Black
11 Monkey Man
12 Memory Motel
13 You Can't Always Get What You Want
14 Let It Bleed
15 Angie
16 Waiting on a Friend
17 Moonlight Mile
18 Under My Thumb
19 Start Me Up
20 Time Waits for No One
21 Midnight Rambler
22 She's So Cold
23 Rocks Off
24 Far Away Eyes

That's all I heard.

Re: Can't You Hear Me Knocking voted #1 Stones song on Sirius Satellite Rolling Stones Radio
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 3, 2006 07:03

wow that's six non-hit songs by fans. that would be a good setlist in itself!

Re: Can't You Hear Me Knocking voted #1 Stones song on Sirius Satellite Rolling Stones Radio
Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: September 3, 2006 07:19

Nice list with a few suprises!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 3, 2006 09:55

Great list. Great #1.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: September 3, 2006 11:23

not bad, but what in god's name is Memory Motel, that un-stones like piece of schmalz doing in the upper echelons? and at the expense of tumbling dice? that's a 'sirius' outrage if you asked me!

Posted by: Skink ()
Date: September 3, 2006 13:47

Can't say I agree... Satisfaction is my favorite.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: September 3, 2006 17:32

I like that #1 pick! A complete artistic Stones success IMHO.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: September 3, 2006 17:48

I was lucky enough to be at the Toronto Rehearsals for one night and they played Moonlight Mile a couple times. After the session I was in the mixing room, listening to the playback and it sounded incredible. I stood next to Keith and listended to it, and he was pleased, but it never made it to the shows. Obviously its not a Hot Rock, so I guess that must be it. They also played SWAY that night, and that made it. Sway was good that night, and they played it more than Moonlight Mile, but for me, it wasnt as good.

I like to consider myself a fairly knowledgeable, die-hard fan- been one for 30+ years. But, that version, of Moonlight Mile, a song that never even cracked "my" top 50 list, was one of the best live songs I'd ever heard. Certainly, the moment helped. I'm at a rehearsal, @#$%& me! But, I've seen rehearsals before. I've seen club gigs from the front row. I've been close, and man, that version of Moonlight Mile, was incredible, and I'm thinking, they've gotta play THAT. But, I also saw them do a cool version of "Get up, Stand up", and I thought that would've gone over better than any of the Ray Charles stuff I saw they were rehearsing on the Ronnie Posters. I've only seen a few shows since Toronto, and I never saw Moonlight Mile and I never saw any Bob Marley and I didnt see Sway, which I'm glad they've convinced Mick to play more often, but I did see Night time, and it sounded OK, and Love Train sounded OK, but man, take some chances and play the deep cuts instead of the hits so much,

I think the unfortunate thing these days is the best music is not being displayed. The Stones singing the same songs over and over again is OK to the average fan, and for those who've never seen them its probably great, but for those of us who KNOW, it doesnt cut it. THAT version of Moonlight Mile, which certainly is comparable to those tapes the owner of Nelcotte "threw away", is the type of music the band is capable of doing, and has done, but unfortunately, its becoming harder and harder to hear, at least live anyway.

And Mick, just in case your reading, live is what it USED to be all about. Take alot of chances this fall, what you have to lose is nothing compard to what you'll gain.

CHELSKEITH
www.themidnightrambler.com

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 3, 2006 18:14

Thanks for sharing your story, chelskeith! How would you compare the rehearsal version of Moonlight Mile to the one they played in 99?

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:01

I was at Oakland for the 99 winter/spring tour opener and that's the only time I'd ever heard Moonlight Mile live, and it sounded great to me, even though I was probably not in the best location for the sound.

In Toronto, I watched them play it from behind the amps, 10 feet from Charlie, and then I listened to the playback after they'd finished rehearsing. Keith and Patti and Ronnie and Jo walked in the sound room and they played Keith's songs back. He asked what I thought and I told him I thought he should hear the playback of Moonlight Mile and he asked Dave to play it back. We all liistened and it sounded like the best bootleg version of any song I'd ever heard, as good for me as Rambler from Brussels in 73, I remember thinking at the time. We were in a small room where the mixing board was stationed, along with a couple couches. I actually stayed in there during the rehearsals more than I stayed behind the band at the amps because the sound was incredible in there, and it was louder than in the room where they were playing.

On a side note, I also saw them do I've got the Blues when rehearsing before that Oakland show, but I didnt get to see them play that one in concert. The rehearsals are interesting in the fact that for the few people there, its probably kind of boring after hearing the same song more than once. For me, or for any fan I'm sure, you realize your seeing a once in a lifetime experience and its fascinating. Your watching these guys re-create a song that in many cases, they havent played in ages, and for some of the guys like Darryl or Ronnie, they maybe never have played the song. I remember they played Sway in Toronto a bunch of times with everyone except Keith. Then I didnt see Keith walk in, but I heard him when he plugged in his guitar and everyone of the techs in back got more alert in a hurry. I was standing next to Johnny Starbuck, one of the cooler cats they have on the back line and a definite legend amongst people in his world, and he smiled and said "You always know when Keith arrives" as he played a loud riff that drowned whatever else was happening at the time. For Sway, Ronnie I believe had been playing the opening riff, and he played it on the first version with Keith, but he didnt quite nail it. Keith then showed him how it should sound, and he nailed it.

And btw, I dont buy the new Charlie retirement story. When I was in Stutttgart, I heard all those rumors were BS and I was told he was having a great time and the whole retirement story was not true. I guess things could have changed, but like what happened with all the Keith rumors, I think I'll wait for the official version.

CHELSKEITH
www.themidnightrambler.com

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:10

OK Mick.....here's your set list for the fall leg of the tour

1 Can't You Hear Me Knocking
2 Gimme Shelter
3 Sympathy for the Devil
4 Satisfaction
5 Wild Horses
6 Brown Sugar
7 Dead Flowers
8 Jumpin' Jack Flash
9 Honky Tonk Women
10 Paint It Black
11 Monkey Man
12 Memory Motel
13 Sway
14 Let It Bleed
15 Streets of Love ( ABB ...I know...I know )
16 Rocks Off
17 She Saw Me Coming ( ABB )
18 Under My Thumb

19 You Got The Silver ( Keith )
20) Little T & A ( Keith )

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:36

this would be about 135 mins so I doubt they would play a setlist like this

01. Jumpin' Jack Flash
02. Start Me Up
03. (obligatory new song)
04. Rocks Off/Monkey Man
05. Dead Flowers/Let It Bleed
06. Wild Horses/Angie (popular ballad slot)
07. Time Waits For No One/Far AWay Eyes/Moonlight Mile/Waiting On A Friend
08. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
09. Gimme Shelter
10. (Keith)
11. (Keith)
12. Under My Thumb (to B stage)
13. She's So Cold
14. Midnight Rambler
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Paint It Black
18. Brown Sugar
----
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want
20. Satisfaction

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 3, 2006 19:41

how the hell does Waiting on a Friend make that list??? i'm still pissed off about the rigged St. Louis webvote in 97

-Drake

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 3, 2006 22:14

nikkibong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not bad, but what in god's name is Memory Motel,
> that un-stones like piece of schmalz doing in the
> upper echelons? and at the expense of tumbling
> dice? that's a 'sirius' outrage if you asked me!

Memory Motel is a great hidden classic. It is easily the best song on Black and Blue. Mick and Keith trading vocals. Tumbling Dice is fine, but obviously a lot of people really love that song. Why people continue to think that start me up is any kind of classic baffles me. Anytime they play that crappy song in concert I get up and go to the bathroom. Bring back memory motel for the fall tour.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: September 3, 2006 22:42

They should take the top 100 sirius voted songs, pull off all the ones that have NEVER been played live (Like TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE). Include all those in the show and build around that list. First songs in the trash - MISS YOU, IORR, TUMBLING DICE, START ME UP...JJF/BS/SATISFACTION - the new 7 minute medley ....Problem solved....

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: September 4, 2006 03:09

I voted for CYHMK - but am surprised it made it as #1.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: September 4, 2006 03:19

21 of 24 songs are pre-Some Girls = only three songs from the last 30 years

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: idiot ()
Date: September 4, 2006 03:22

1. I Wanna Be Your Man - written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney
2. Money - 1st done by the Beatles

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 4, 2006 04:54

idiot Wrote:
> 1. I Wanna Be Your Man - written by John Lennon
> and Paul McCartney
> 2. Money - 1st done by the Beatles

your name suits you.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: September 4, 2006 05:11

... part one or part two of cyhmk ing??? humm, nothing from some girls in the top 24??,, , good idea micks brain... .. and tumblin dice has always bothered me, they should of left it with whats her name, the stones pony girl...

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: September 4, 2006 10:02

soundcheck Wrote:
.. and tumblin dice has
> always bothered me,

you bother me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2214
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home