Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Glasgow!
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 31, 2006 04:57

So I just heard the radio broadcast in the Hot Stuff section (thanks again to whoever posted that).

I have to say that my jaded, cynical old self was pleasantly surprised. This was a great show!! Even some of the better shows I have heard frm this tour (Nagoya comes to mind) were, at best, enjoyable but frustratingly ragged. Not ragged in the charming old sense of the 1970's, but more in the sense of a bunch of old men that really couldn't do much better.

Well, this proved me wrong. The playing was tight, Mick in top form, Charlie and Darryl working the groove and Keith and Ronnie really holding their own. Hightlights:

"Sway" - Mick actually SINGING the song for a change and Ronnie playing like he meant business!

"She's So Cold" - Yes! A stew of guitars all over the place, licks here, there and everywhere. This was rock and roll, ladies and gents - the genuine article.

"Miss You" - the best post-70's version I have heard. I never could stand the long, bloated, audience-pandering 94 and on versions (and let's not discuss the 89 version with it's synthesizer harmonica). This was tight, to the point and all about the song as opposed to the spectacle. Goddamnit I enjoyed this one.

"Jumping Jack Flash" - I never get tired of hearing my favorite Stones tune of all time, especially when they let it out like a switchblade. Killer opening, great version, does this classic the justice it demands.

"Slipping Away" - a fine, emotive vocal from KR. And as opposed to some of the lazy licks I have heard him throw onto this one on previous live version, he injects this version with some wrenching, soulful soloing. Good on ya, mate!

"Rain Fall Down" - Finally, a live version of this I was really happy with! This was a free-for-all funk number, guitars right on - had me thinking of "Hot Stuff". To boot, Darryl gets a fine bass moment and (yes I am actually going to say this) Chuck even gets to prove he knows how to negotiate a funky little electric piano solo. Needless to say I dug it.

I was already crap-in-my-pants-excited about Louisville this month. Now I am 10x as excited. God bless 'em the Rolling Stones. Like any great band, they might not be on every night, but when they're on they are ON.

Re: Glasgow!
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 31, 2006 08:54

I think this Glasgow disc is the next "find of the decade".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: August 31, 2006 09:41

No, I think it's on 3rd position (a REALYL GOOD show, I was surprised and I'm still amazed) - but No.2 is the "new" source for Lakeland 78 on RO. I've been looking for this tape for 25 years and now it's here :-) If the entire show is as good as the 4 songs that were released on vinyl-boot back in 1981....man:-)

Date: August 31, 2006 09:44

Setlist for that show??? Better than GG Redux???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: August 31, 2006 09:56

Glasgow audience contributed hugely to this geat show. The fans were well up for it and this obviously spurred the band on to perform so well.

Date: August 31, 2006 10:07

That makes me shiver for Horsens as the Danish audience is always kindda stoner.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 31, 2006 10:09

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Setlist for that show??? Better than GG Redux???

Let It Rock/All Down The Line/Honky Tonk Women/Star Star/When The Whip Comes Down/Miss You/Beast Of Burden/Respectable/Far Away Eyes/Love In Vain/Shattered/Tumbling Dice/Happy/Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash/Street Fighting Man

it's an audience recording, not a soundboard! but with the 4 songs from the old LP in mind (haven't heard the download yet) it's one of the best tapes from the 70s and for sure the very best audience recording from the 78-tour.

Date: August 31, 2006 10:10

Wow. A must have it seems..... I love that tour!

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 31, 2006 10:28

yes, a must have for sure !

I'm not the one who's always bitching about setlists and I think all in all the actual tour is ok and as Glasgow shows they play damned good when they're on.

BUT: looking at the setlist from Lakeland it shows 6 (out of 10 !) new songs from Some Girls and later on they added Imagination and Lies as well. That is one thing I'm really missing - more new songs at their recent shows. Anyway, it has been said so often now. I hope they're going to add another new song when they're back in the US. Streets of Love worked out so well - I'm sure (no matter if one likes it or not) Biggest Mistake could be the same.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 31, 2006 12:02

hickorywind Wrote:
> Glasgow audience contributed hugely to this geat
> show. The fans were well up for it and this
> obviously spurred the band on to perform so well.

they always do. Glasgow is the best audience in the UK by a mile.

Its no coincidence that of the 30 Dylan shows I've been at over the last two decades or more, about 3 of the top 5 shows I've seen have been in Glasgow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-31 12:03 by Gazza.

Date: August 31, 2006 12:05

Gaz: Later today I will send you a test text message on your phone. Let's make sure the setlist line works.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 31, 2006 12:09

It's a pity they didn't broadcast Cardiff. Glasgow was great and that audience is unbeatable, but Cardiff was the better show and had the best sound of all the five UK shows (or at least for me in rows 1, 2 or 3 each time - maybe it was different for people further back).

Date: August 31, 2006 12:11

A few reviews I read said that the sound was awful (did they close the roof?) - so it seems you were in the optimum place (as usual ;-) )

oh, and thanks in advance, Kent

Date: August 31, 2006 12:15

Your welcome....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 31, 2006 12:16

the sound @ Cardiff was awful, where i was... the guitars were largely inaudible and there was an echo, that would make our Amsterdam friends, proud.

..sounds like you got lucky, Beast, and found yourself in the sweet-spot.

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: August 31, 2006 12:31

the sound on the Glasgow Broadcast is very echo-ey in places as well, especially Mick's voice when talking, but that does not diminish or interfere the over-all excellent experience.

The sound on the whole tour is somewhat "muddier" if you will, one reason is they have a new soundman (Dave Natale) who does the front of house mixing and who likes a less "cleaner" sound especially of the guitars. Second, Keith uses different guitars for certain songs on this tour (as compared to all the recent tours 89 onwards), i.e. with humbuckers neck position which add to the "brown sound"...
And lastly, these stadiums (or "domes") nowadays all have special acoustics, so it may well be that you don't hear any guitars while the man standing next to you gets the full blown, perfectly clear and separated sound...
While watching (and hearing) the absolutely amazing "Saitama" show on DVD lately I thought, why don't they play only arenas, cause it's an environment where you can control the sound much easier than outdoors...well I guess I was dreaming :-)

Posted by: Rosalie ()
Date: August 31, 2006 12:42

Again, I have to agree, the sound at Cardiff was not good generally, and on the b-stage it was just dreadful. Even Mick winced a few times! I couldn't even really identify the songs! And yes, the roof was on - I guess Mick was taking no chances after the soaking we all got at Sheffield.
And personally, I think the Glasgow show was much better than Cardiff - for a start, Keith didn't mess up Slipping Away like he did at Cardiff. He didn't mess them up at Glasgow because he was carefully reading the prompt screen before every phrase! No doubt he has had eneough of losing his songs on braodcast events due to his forgetting the words.
Quite right - all arenas (and some small gigs) would be wonderful. Myself, I think the Licks formula was excellent. A little bit of everything.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 31, 2006 12:44

Hi!

A tried to download Rain Fall Down from that show but the link was allready closed :-(

Can someone please post it again?

Thanks in advance!!

Date: August 31, 2006 13:07

I'm sorry to hear the sound at Cardiff was bad for others. All those I spoke to had no complaints about but then they were all standing in the front blocks. We thought that having the roof on might have contributed to the better sound - but seemingly not for others, unfortunately. The B-stage sound at Cardiff was magnificent compared to the B-stage sound at Glasgow, which was truly atrocious! But it still wasn't too good. I've always wished for arenas over stadiums, which I generally hate. The Stones are the only band I will ever go to a stadium for.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 31, 2006 13:13

I'd have to say that I was amazed how bad the sound at cardiff was. I was up in the top stands and it was dreadfull. Could hardly understand what Mick was saying let alone fugure out the guitars. Such a shame after the brilliant Twicks gigs.
Still a lot of fun though...... and Mick was on top form!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 31, 2006 13:21

the sound at Cardiff was the worst i've ever experienced for a Stones show.
- i will never go to see them at The Millenium Stadium again.

A pity that their overall,good performance,
on tuesday night, was somewhat overshadowed by this.

However a great time was had in Cardiff- i'll look forward to 2007 dates being announced... just no Millenium Stadium, please!!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 31, 2006 13:36

Now thats good rocking news...Lakeland!!!and about Glasgow I like it more than Rio!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 31, 2006 13:39

DJ's bass solo on RFD,I liked Keith;s backup vocals on Rubey Tuesday I wish they would get rid of the backup singers and let Mick and Keith take the microphone and vocals.yeah it would be more difficult for keith to play guitar and sing more but you would get that rock and roll edge

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 31, 2006 14:25

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 14:37 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: August 31, 2006 14:33

Hi all!! I was in Cardiff in A1 row 11 and the sound was superb, my mate commented how good it was considering the size of the stadium. It seems the pitch was the place to be. I had a great time at every gig, glad I got to meet so many of you. I bumped into Rockman on tuesday morning while he was getting some presents for his kids, what a guy. Have a safe trip home mate! Thanks to Gazza, Doug, Sessions Martin, Rockman, StraycatUK and all the others who made a great time even better. Roll on 07!!!

Date: August 31, 2006 14:44

Not sure what I did to be mentioned in such worthy company, but whatever it was - youre welcome. Was good to see you and the lovely Toni again.

Good to see the standard of performancess of the 3 UK shows I was at appeared to have carried on to Sheffield and Cardiff. I think almost everyone seems to have had a great time at the UK shows, and both the concerts and the parties were great fun throughout our leg of the tour.

Stones fans certainly know how to let their hair down (or what hair some of them have left) and have a lot of fun. It always makes the trips even more memorable and special.

Over to you, Multiplex - lets get this bloody stadium ready in time for next summer, so we can have the biggest and best bash ever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-31 14:45 by Gazza.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 31, 2006 14:48

UrbanSteel Wrote:
> marquess Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi!
> >
> > A tried to download Rain Fall Down from that
> show
> > but the link was allready closed :-(
> >
> > Can someone please post it again?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!!
>
> Download HERE Rain Fall Down

HI UrbanSteel!!

Thanks very much for the quick help, but, finally, I allready had RFD...

I made a mistake...

not enough coffe in the morning and only a 3 hour sleep... :-)

What I havenĀ“t been able to download are the follwing 3 tracks:
IORR - Track 2 CD 1
RT - Track 6 CD 1
RJ - Track 1 CD 2

If you could post these, to complete my show, it would be GREAT!!!

Thanks, again, in advance!!

Date: August 31, 2006 14:53

Gazza Wrote:
>> Stones fans certainly know how to let their hair
> down (or what hair some of them have left)

LOL!!

and
> have a lot of fun. It always makes the trips even
> more memorable and special.

100% correct!

>
> Over to you, Multiplex - lets get this bloody
> stadium ready in time for next summer, so we can
> have the biggest and best bash ever!

HEAR, HEAR!!!

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 31, 2006 15:05

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 14:38 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 31, 2006 15:50

Just downloaded it! What a show!!! Where are the naysayers NOW?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home