Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. Unsung Bands for anyone interested
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: August 21, 2006 20:56

The SONICS(mid '60s pacific northwest u.s.a.)early stones style but raunchier.........DMZ (boston band...late '70s)Iggy & the Stooges type band, check out their guitar-slinger Peter Greenberg......The ORIGINAL SINS ('80s on up... from Pennsylvania, u.s.a....acid/punk/pop...x-cellent tunage......THE PLIMSOULS (l.a., u.s.a. based band...rockin' pop at its best....great singer/songwriter in Peter Case)for their best document, check out "One Night in America" live CD...THE COUNT BISHOPS (mid to late '70s english pub-rock band reminicent of the early Stones and The Pretty Things....raw, high-energy fun!..........THE EASTERN DARK (late '80s Australian pop-punk band from the Ramones school...catchier then hell and rockin"...only had a 45 and an ep ("Long Live the New Flesh"), then the singer died in a car wreck

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-21 21:04 by Leonard Keringer.

Re: Unsung Bands for anyone interested
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:04

Saw The Plimsouls in 1995 at Woodley Park in Van Nuys with Cheap Trick and The Tubes. Good show. Clem Burke played drums.

Date: August 21, 2006 21:05

Dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saw The Plimsouls in 1995 at Woodley Park in Van
> Nuys with Cheap Trick and The Tubes. Good show.
> Clem Burke played drums.

Dan.....we're practically neighbors....grew up in the arm-pit of the Valley...Canoga Park...now live in Los Feliz

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:09

If I can add to this Leonard
1. supersuckers, based in Seattle but play both punk and country with a great amount of razzmatazzz!
2. Thee Michele Gun Elephant, a japaneese punk, garage band who for the last 10 years have made some outstanding music (even though only the chorus is english)
3. Guitarwolf, a extremely LOUD Japaneese punk, rockabilly band
4. The Wildhearts, an english band with an endless number of "hooks" to their songs
5. Backyard Babies, a Scandanavian punk band
6. The Hangmen, a great LA band (killer version of Citadel on their loteria cd.
Great to have ya back Leonard!!!

Re: O.T. Unsung Bands for anyone interested
Date: August 21, 2006 21:27

I live in Burbank! I have seen the Supersuckers, Guitar Wolf, The Wildhearts (opening for the Darkness, Wildhearts were better), Backyard Babies and The Hangmen.

I could name dozens of bands but I would recommend Throw Rag. CDs are good, first one Tee Tot is amazing but they are much better live. Seen them lots of times going back to 1995.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:27

Hi Leonard

Nice to see you back

First of all Eastern Dark are in my Olympia of great bands. The single Julie is a Junkie/Johhny and Dee Dee, is an all time classic. I once met the bass player at a show in Sydney many years ago,nice guy. He played later with the Lemonheads
I believe.
There are a lot of fantastic bands from Australia from the same period, I lived there between 1987-1989 and it was amazing for live bands, I went out to see bands every night, what a time.The best were Lime Spiders, one of the greatest rock bands ever in my opinion, hard as nails but melodies to kill for, a crime they never hit the big time.Also Hoodoo Gurus,Celibate Rifles, New Christs,Beasts of Bourbon, and so many others, in retrospect those bands are still great now.

The Sonics are wonderful, Psycho and He's Waiting are all time punk rock greats.

I still have the first DMZ record on Sire, its good, but I bet they were much better live. I always liked that first Lyres record, I think its the same guy?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:29

Yeah, Welcome back Leonard. Just want to add to your mention of the Eastern Dark that there was also a posthumous 2-lp compilation (later released on cd)of live and studio stuff called Girls on the Beach (With Cars). If you find the e.p. and single and love them, this is worth checking out because there are a bunch more originals on there as well as some cool covers (Kimberly Rew, Descendents, True West !).

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 21, 2006 21:38

Let me throw in my $.02:

Redd Kross - LA's finest, who are back after a 9 year hiatus with some shows and a new album on the way. Their last album, "Show World", could be my favorite album ever, by anyone.

Too Much Joy - Great power pop/punk from four suburban NY kids who wanted to be the Clash and never failed to see the humor in it.

L.P. - from NYC. If you could cross Mariaa McKee with Pat Benatar, you'd have L.P. She just signed to a major, too, so hopefully you'll all hear her soon. Cracker fans will know her from the hidden track Cinderella on "Gentleman's Blues".

Mando Diao - from Denmark, I think. Very '60s/garagey but with an r&b influence as well.

Supergrass - yeah, they're big, but in my book, the best thing to come out of England in decades. They fell under the shadow of Oasis/Blur/Radiohead, but I think they'll wind up being the ones with the best legacy once all is said and done.

Date: August 21, 2006 21:38

Whoops - double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-22 05:03 by JuanTCB.

Date: August 21, 2006 21:44

JUan TCB I agree Supergrass are the Kinks of Britpop, not so commercially popular but the songs will stand up for the ages, also they are @#$%& killer live, Gaz is a great frontman

Date: August 21, 2006 22:09

I love Supergrass. Plenty of diversity between the albums but it always sounds like them. Seen them lots of times going back to 1997. Unfortunately missed the 2 set acoustic/electric show at the Troubadour.

Date: August 21, 2006 22:11

Juan, Redd Kross are one of the best bands of all time and Jeff Mcdonald is , IMHO, the most underrated songwriter out there. I'm extremely psyched for the new record as I'm sure you are. Saw them 9 or 10 times between '87 and '97 and had the pleasure of opening for them a couple times-really nice guys to boot.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 21, 2006 22:29

The Inmates - early 80'. Music inspired by early Stones, The Kinks and The Animals. Great songs.

Date: August 21, 2006 22:34

I once saw Redd Kross opening for Sonic Youth, the first song they played was "Knowing me Knowing You" by ABBA, they are funny guys no doubt.

Date: August 21, 2006 22:41

Redd Kross is at Sunset Junction this year.

Date: August 22, 2006 05:06

Great to see the Redd Kross love! I'm seeing them at Irving Plaza in NYC on 9/22 - my first show as I only got into them with Show World and they stopped touring very shortly thereafter.

Andrew - what band were you in?

Date: August 22, 2006 06:05

No one you would have heard of. In '87 here in Victoria, the band I was in was called Bedspins and R.K. were touring on the classic Neurotica album-amazing show. In '94 the band I was in at the time, BUM (yeah, I know-incredibly stupid name !), opened for them again here in Vic. I think I probably bored them to tears with my Redd Kross trivia questions but they were too nice to let on. I'm extremely jealous that you're going to see them at Irving Plaza-my friend Maxine lives in N.Y. and will be going for sure...she got up and sang Deuce with them at one of the Victoria shows and they told her she was the"weirdest girl they'd ever met"- I think they meant it as a compliment. Anyway, have a great time on the 22nd.

Date: August 22, 2006 06:21

Andrew -

Very cool - thanks for the stories!

On reddkross.com, they have streaming audio of a show from '97 - it's either Victoria or Vancouver. Click on the archives button in the Hit It! box and check out Episode 4 - it's great stuff.

Oh, and dig the current photo - Robert Hecker looks like an alien.

Date: August 22, 2006 07:46

It's Vancouver and I was at that show-they were opening for the Presidents of the U.S.A. and blew them away of course. That would have been one of their last shows before going on hiatus for, what, nine years. Yeah, Hecker looks trippy and appears to have his guitar slung so high now that it's almost over his head !

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 23, 2006 22:33

Lazy Cowgirls (the bass player is pretty good, well, good, not so pretty winking smiley ....

and bluesman Tinsley Ellis.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 24, 2006 01:17

Where can we get any of these bands music? a lot of the ones mentioned sound good.

Date: August 24, 2006 01:22

ROPENI Wrote:
> Where can we get any of these bands music? a lot
> of the ones mentioned sound good.

amazon.com perhaps Mr.Ropeni

Date: August 24, 2006 01:32

Thank You, Mr LK.

Date: August 24, 2006 01:41

ROPENI, LK is the bass player for the Lazy Cowgirls (see my post above) and yes, they are very good.

Date: August 24, 2006 01:43

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> ROPENI, LK is the bass player for the Lazy
> Cowgirls (see my post above) and yes, they are
> very good.

they're a bunch of crusty old fuchs.....painful to look at

Date: August 24, 2006 01:45

Mr Lewis, l am not familiar with LK's Band, but l will give them a listen.
Thanks for the information.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 24, 2006 01:45

I'd recommend the following:

- The Black Keys
- The Greenhornes
- Spoon

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 24, 2006 01:49

Cactus
SVT
Billy Clone and the Same (huge band, Phoenix, AZ, late 1970s.
Uranium Savages (not for the politically correct crowd...)
More when I think of them...

JR

Date: August 24, 2006 01:59

Don't let Leonard bullshit you. Check out their versions of "Route 66", "The Magnificent Seven", and "Second Cousin".

Hey, Leonard, what's up with all the numbers (66, 7, & 2)? Where's "25 or 6 to 4"? How about "999"? Musta been smoking a few numbers!

Posted by: gia43 ()
Date: August 24, 2006 02:22

I really like Mando Diao (and Supergrass-the singer does a good Mick impression...-)
and I also came across a Louis xiv album and they are really good. T-Rex and Rolling Stones influences all over the album!

Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home