Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Future?
Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: August 21, 2006 14:45

Is there any future for the Stones? At least one we can be proud of? I figure it will go one of two ways:
a)2007: Having just finished their bigger bang tour in America, amidst complaints about outrageous ticket prices and never-changing set lists, the Stones are once again announced the highest paid performers ever. They take another eight years to produce another album, patchy at best. Another world tour is announced for 2014. Set lists are unimaginative and the critics delight in tagging them wrinkly rockers. Having completed the tour the Stones are unlikely to produce any new material again due to their shamefully slow working pace. Although their 60's and 70's material is without equal the Stones finish up as nostalgia merchants, thereby cheapening their canon of work.

b)2007: Having just finished their bigger bang tour in America, amidst complaints about outrageous ticket prices and never changing set lists, the Stones are once again announced the highest paid performers ever. Mick Jagger announces that the Stones are no longer going to tour the world's stadia in an effort to concentrate on new material. 2008 sees the release of a new Stones album. Containing the Stones freshest new material in years, as well as covers of classic soul/blues/country material the Stones recieve unparalled critical acclaim. Mick and Keith begin to write together again and regain the elasticity of the early days. New albums are released every 2/3 years, puntuated by smaller arena-based tours. On these tours the Stones deliver diverse shows: Whole album shows eg.Sticky Fingers/Exile/Tattoo You
Covers Shows (Blues/Soul/Country/Funk)
All new material shows
Although they do not ignore their hits, they no longer take up the entire set list. Although reactions to the shows are unsure to start with, the Stones are soon hailed as rejuvenated artists who take gambles with their performances. The albums now show a mature band. Reviews rival those of earlier periods and the Stones are now once again viewed as cultural heavy-weights. The Stones continue to work into old age and prove that they were, are and ever will be the greatest band in the world!

What are your views? Whats next for this group?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-21 14:54 by iamthedj.

Re: Stones Future?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 21, 2006 17:46

After having performed for more than 6.5 million people by the end of this year - a world record bothy crowd wise and financially - the Stones will do the rest of Europe next summer. Total estimated 8 million people on one tour. And as Keith said at the press conference in Milan: "Yes. We could cut on tour". Which means there is no reason why they would or should not do a new record within the next 6-9 months.

The critics may feel free to stay home and spend teir money on whatever. There are still plenty others who love the Stones and buy tickets to their shows. And read the reviews from Twickenham London Aug 20 2006 i.e. last night. Seems like people love them.

With a past of some 44 years then you know most of their time is bound to be behind them, but that does not prevent the Stones from satisfying the fans for the future!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 21, 2006 17:58

Absolutely correct Björnulf. I think we should be happy with every day that we still have the Stones around. But I also think (and hope) that option b) as presented by iamthedj wouldn't be bad at all :-)

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 21, 2006 18:06

I agree with both Rolling Hansie and bv. The Stones have been the biggest musical influence on my life. I admire them for not only the great songs but their ability to bring artistry into pop. I think they have recorded some great work in the last 20 years, ie. "Already Over Me, The Worst, New Faces, Out Of Control, Infamy, Anybody Seen My Baby, etc. but wish that they would once again show the integrity and consistency they did in their early days. I realise that they are no longer kids living in each others pockets but think that the huge gaps between records is a big mistake.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 21, 2006 18:15

I think they will continue to tour until they drop. Don't know if we'll ever get another studio album; I hope so. And if so I hope they play more of it live than they are doing with A Bigger Bang.

Date: August 21, 2006 18:45

Although I become an over-excited child at their concerts I feel that touring is a waste of time without a record to support. Anyone Agree/Disagree?

Date: August 21, 2006 19:55

finally a voice of reason...now here in the U.S. there's whining about how the Fall Tour is going to be a bust...jeez, don't these people have lives?

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After having performed for more than 6.5 million
> people by the end of this year - a world record
> bothy crowd wise and financially - the Stones will
> do the rest of Europe next summer. Total estimated
> 8 million people on one tour. And as Keith said at
> the press conference in Milan: "Yes. We could cut
> on tour". Which means there is no reason why they
> would or should not do a new record within the
> next 6-9 months.
>
> The critics may feel free to stay home and spend
> teir money on whatever. There are still plenty
> others who love the Stones and buy tickets to
> their shows. And read the reviews from Twickenham
> London Aug 20 2006 i.e. last night. Seems like
> people love them.
>
> With a past of some 44 years then you know most of
> their time is bound to be behind them, but that
> does not prevent the Stones from satisfying the
> fans for the future!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 21, 2006 19:56

As long as they want to make new albums thaT is terrific news for me. They should however tour in a different kind of way.(imho)

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: August 21, 2006 20:18

Definately go into the studio, relax, spend time refining some new great blues & rock stuff - hire a producer or bv to hold them to classic stones stuff - ABB had a few gems just too many songs or too rushed on some. . . .slow it down a bit and fight it out if necessary!. . .they still got it if they want to take the time.

Forget the big world tours and all that - just show up at a few local sleezy bars here & there and get back to your roots.

Blues it up boys!!. . . . .

You got to roll me. . . .

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: August 21, 2006 20:31

iamthedj Wrote:
> Although I become an over-excited child at their
> concerts I feel that touring is a waste of time
> without a record to support. Anyone
> Agree/Disagree?

I do disagree for following reasons:

A) People don't come out to hear the new songs

cool smiley The lion's share of revenues comes from the live gigs, not from album sales

C) Other "oldies acts" like John Fogerty, the Allman Brothers, Motley Crue, Moody Blues, and probably alot of others I can't think of have toured without releasing an album with any NEW material. Wasn't the 40 Licks Tour done behind just a re-packaged box of old songs ??

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 21, 2006 20:36

The main thing I see from stopping the Stones from having an album out in as early as 2008 is whether Mick wants to continue to do solo albums. Since the release of Undercover in 1983, he has been pretty regularly alternating between Stones and solo albums. There may have only been 5 full studio albums from the Stones since the, but Mick has had 5 solo albums (counting Alfie) in that time. If Mick decdies to devote 2007 or 2008 to making another solo album, then a Stones album may not come for another 3-4 years from now.

Don Was told me last year that he thinks they will do something with the songs or recordings from the Paris 2002 sessions, so if they don't want to start from scratch, which it seems they did for A Bigger Bang, they may have a good starting point already towards their next album.

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: August 21, 2006 20:37

Do those Jagger solo albums make money ?? Also, will he do a solo tour ? If not, what's the point ?

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 21, 2006 20:49

iamthedj Wrote:
> Although I become an over-excited child at their
> concerts I feel that touring is a waste of time
> without a record to support. Anyone
> Agree/Disagree?

From a financial standpoint, there is no reason for the Stones to have to record new albums to tour. The fact that they always do tour behind new albums and continue to strive to be a relevant recording band is a major reason why I have a lot of respect for the band at this stage in their career. Many of their peers long ago ceased being reocrding bands and have settled into being nostalgia touring acts. The Stones could have easily settled into this, but fortunately have the mindset that to tour, they need to have new songs. Whether we feel they play enough of these new songs in concert is debatable, but the fact remains that they continue to be a creative force.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1637
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home