Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: ABB STINKS
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 30, 2006 13:09

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still think ABB is a classic, assuming you make
> your own version that omits such filler as SOL,
> Biggest Mistake, Infamy, etc.

i'm afraid your name-sake has to go, as well.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 30, 2006 13:10

About the recording and the sound on ABB... I think I don't listen to it more than I do because the drums sound SUCKS again!!!

Let's open our ears: better drums sound doesn't mean mixing drums louder!!! And this is the main error on Stones albums at least since VL: the drums are mixed way toooo loud so the whole mix sounds bad for me. Damn, take the guy who mixed Some Girls to mix the master here!

Somebody once posted that he didn't like Neighbours because the drums were mixed too loud. I wonder what he thinks about the Stones output since 1994 soundwise, then...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: June 30, 2006 14:50

I remember when they released it I said it was a pile of shit, and everybody told me to shut my mouth.

Now I see a lot of you thinking the same as me.

It's never too late.winking smiley

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 30, 2006 15:01

Anderson Wrote:
> Who are you to tell me I'm not a fan just because I
> don't think "ABB ROCKS"?

Well, I didn't tell you that you weren't a fan. But you do seem to have cotton in your ears then.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 30, 2006 15:11

It doesn't stink, it just smells funny.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 30, 2006 15:17

For a band with the longlevity of a career that the stones have I thibk ABB is a blinder. My head aint so far up my arse to expect another Exile etc.etc.....

Posted by: Sugar Brown ()
Date: June 30, 2006 16:26

info
some girls is the first album where the drums (and the bass) are mixed forward...
...take the guy who mixed Rocks off

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: June 30, 2006 16:33

ABB is a musically good album , the only reason the 'classic' albums are seen as classic is because theyve been around for 30 or 40 years , there are crappy songs on every album , if the stones put out exile today with the crappy muddy mix and strange collection of songs it would be panned

tattoo you is only just starting to sound good , because songs have to be familiar before they can be appreciated

OLDKR

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 30, 2006 17:48

oldkr - that's ridiculous. dylan's last two albums were marveled at from day-one as classics because they're great. how does that square with your theory?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 30, 2006 17:52

Yea, and Wandering Spirit was also cherished from day 1.
And Jagger's 80s solo-effort sounds even worse 20 years after.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 30, 2006 18:09

Stonestod, you beat me; Oldkr, that is a ridiculous post. ABB is not going to get better with time. Matter of fact I think it might even suffer in the long run. IMO that is one of the key weaknesses of the album: the songs have not much staying power. Even the better ones are quite shallow.
I believe frimly that this could have been a MUCH better album with the same songs, but a different recording process, a different producer and mainly more time. Or time used more wisely.
Ronnie, Charlie, DY and a piano man should have kicked the songs for some time as a band. Jagger would have had much more focus and time for the lyrics. As it is one gets the feeling he was so busy playing Bass, and running his pro tools, babysitting that the words suffered.
The songs could have become a lot stronger, more identity and special with strong fade outs, rave-ups. Jagger would have had more to say. And I bet, the album would have been shorter, more powerful.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: June 30, 2006 18:34

<<<I remember when they released it I said it was a pile of shit, and everybody told me to shut my mouth.

Now I see a lot of you thinking the same as me.

It's never too late.winking smiley>>>

I was also very critical of this album when it came out and was taken to task by a fairly large contingent on this board. For me personally, it still ranks somewhere around Dirty Work, although I must admit the muscianship is superb in places.

It's a shame Mick and Keith made a decided effort to run as far as they could from Voodoo Lounge, the only album since Tattoo that really crossed over into the teen market and got them major sales and publicity. Bridges isn't bad, but is terribly over-produced, almost to the extent that it comes across as the Stones and their armada of extras trying to sound like the Stones...a parody per se.

If ABB is allegedly the modern exile, I am hoping the follow it up with a real rocker, like Sticky Fingers.

ABB is that kind of album you might crank while driving alone on a deserted highway, but at the first sight of people, gets turned down for fear of shear embarrassment.

"You look like a leper dressed as Sergeant Pepper"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 30, 2006 19:15

I don't subject Stones albums to analysis...I listen to them.
I've listened to and enjoyed ABB quite a lot since it's release. As far as I'm concerned, it's a very good album.
Imagine if some unknown or breaking band had released it...
..It'd be hailed as the best thing since a very good thing that's had the extra good kit fitted.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: June 30, 2006 21:21

Yeah it did take me some time to get past the lame mix of ABB. They've had WRONG production for about 20 years now. Loud clangy drums and loud Mick. They are supposed to be a rnr band--turn up those guitars! I thought the new songs on 40 Licks had a nice warm sound--too bad the songs were weak.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: July 1, 2006 00:32

I like it. Can't wait for another album

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: July 1, 2006 04:17

Here's another reason why ABB stinks-

most of the songs are too fast, as in too fast tempo.

For example most of the songs on Beggars, Let it Bleed, SF and Exile are slower. I think ABB confuses loud and fast with quality. ANd most of them don't mean anything. I just listened to Really Want to Be my Freind on the drive how. SUrley not the best song of teh Golden Era- but probaby better than most anything on ABB.

I like fast- such as Some Girls but the Music (inclduing the words) stay in your brain.........80% of Some Girls is better than 80% of ABB.....

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: July 1, 2006 04:52

That post stinks.How can you compare If You Really Want To Be My Friend to songs like It Won't Take Long and Dangerous Beauty?Apples and oranges - can't accurately be compared to determine if it is better or worse than these songs,in my opinion.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: July 1, 2006 05:05

oldkr Wrote:

songs have to be familiar before they can
> be appreciated
>

THat applies only to people who generally dont like to try or listen to new things.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: July 1, 2006 05:08

Chas Wrote:
> Yeah it did take me some time to get past the lame
> mix of ABB. They've had WRONG production for about
> 20 years now. Loud clangy drums and loud Mick.
> They are supposed to be a rnr band--turn up those
> guitars! I thought the new songs on 40 Licks had a
> nice warm sound--too bad the songs were weak.

THank God Mick is loud-- unlike on Exile. All any one of you really cares about is guitars. Why the @#$%& do rnr bands even have drums and vocals then?

Oh, and ABB doesn't suck. But those of you who want to just listen to Exile 20,000 + times and relive your youth, by all means go ahead.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 1, 2006 06:58

anticapation for a stones album is something special, and with that comes disaray,confusion and even angre... for ya want to like it but is it likeable, ive even found myself forcing to 'like' songs, ta try an hang on any little sparkle... with the abb case, ill just say that ''let me down slow'' could of been a top notch song. im very surprised they do,ahhh, cant even think of the name, oh, ''rough justice'' live.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 1, 2006 08:37

Well, I like rough justice live. One concesssion I'll make is that they shouldn't have the back up vocalistists on that one. thats the only thing I dont like about how its performed. Maybe other on other performances its worked, but from what I've heard, thats my main complaint.

on ABB:

Its not that bad, it rocks more than Their last album.

Out of Control was a really strong track and is phenominal live, nothing on ABB matches it, but For straight ahead rock N rolll, ABB is better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 08:47 by ryanpow.

Date: July 1, 2006 08:56

plus I like Rain Fall down. on another post I said they could give it a break to make room for another song i was talkin bout, but I did say that I liked it. I think its good.

EDIT. Laugh I nearly died, LOVE IT. same goes for let me down slow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 09:03 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Bockwuchsd ()
Date: July 1, 2006 09:38

Haven't listened to ABB for months now and feel no desire to do so. A few good tracks are on it but to me it's a mediocre output at best. Maybe even lower.

Date: July 1, 2006 09:53

OT: ITs all fun and games unitl someone knocks over the bong.
what happened to my beer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 09:54 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: July 1, 2006 11:06

I think A Bigger Bang is musically good, but there is some points that just make it not really.. finished, you know? Examples:

- The butt ugly cover artwork. Admit it, it sucks completely.
- The mixing/producing is shit. Drums have a way too massive sound, the guitars sound very flat in a way. Don Was is terrible.

Posted by: glimmerfan ()
Date: July 1, 2006 11:45

I got this disk on the am of September 6. And drove three hours to St. Paul MN. On the way I was stoked to hear that my #1 band had returned to form! Checked into the hotel, cleaned up, and headed out to the bars that were next to the Xcell energy center where they were playing that night. The bars were packed, all wanting to hear the new Stones sounds, and they had em cranked! What a great time it was, a bounch of strangers all so happy to hear a real rock and roll disc from the best in the biz. BTW the show kicked ass! In short, if you think A Bigger Bang sucks, go cry to your mamma. These boys will keep on a rockin!!!!!!!!!

btw I don't post here much, but I feel that the positive bunch are all my friends... raise a glass!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 1, 2006 11:47

glimmerfan Wrote:
In
> short, if you think A Bigger Bang sucks, go cry to
> your mamma. These boys will keep on a
> rockin!!!!!!!!!
>
> btw I don't post here much, but I feel that the
> positive bunch are all my friends... raise a
> glass!

glad to see that when you do, it's to insult other posters.

Posted by: glimmerfan ()
Date: July 1, 2006 12:11

That's ak with me if I piss off a few lilly livered wennies out there. Point is these guys have given us all so many great times why start slagging on them now? Maybe all the moaners are afraid of gettin older. I say go for it Stones ! Please rock on as long as you can... Because there will radio waste land when you are silent.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 1, 2006 12:24

StonesTod Wrote:
> oldkr - that's ridiculous. dylan's last two
> albums were marveled at from day-one as classics
> because they're great. how does that square with
> your theory?

Interesting. In my mind, nobody can deem anything a classic before it has at least some years on it's back. The term "classic" itself has something "Not new" about it, wouldn't you agree? And BTW, who cares about critics? It's just the opinion of a single person.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 1, 2006 13:33

I'd say Love And Theft is a classic because it has all the elements to make it one. There's also variety as well as substance which makes it quite accessible. Bob's voice is also a major asset although he's maybe not a great singer in a conventional sense. The fact his vocals aren't perfect is an asset - it's not smooth, slick and predictable and Bob also isn't forever playing a role which he had grown out of 20 odd years ago.

In a word Bob's 'believeable'.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1269
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home