Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The last "classic" Stones song
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:28

What made SMU such and instant classic ? It is the last classic Stones song IMO. On the Still Life tour they usually played it at the end along with the warhorses. When was the last time they played a new song at the tail end of their shows ? The Stones knew it was a classic even when it was new. I love everything from the Stones, but no more "classics" have come after SMU.

Re: The last "classic" Stones song
Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:37

And, unfortunately, no more will............

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:37

I agree with you completely out of my head.

Start Me Up sounds like a classic straight away.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:39

out of my head Wrote:
. When was the last time they
> played a new song at the tail end of their shows ?
> The Stones knew it was a classic even when it was
> new. I love everything from the Stones, but no
> more "classics" have come after SMU.

You Got Me Rocking has stayed regular in the set since it's release, and have been used as both opener and encore. How do you define a classic? A regular played song? The opening riff of It Won't Take Long is IMO a classic Keith riff, and a typical stones song.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:41

The Worst. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> out of my head Wrote:
> . When was the last time they
> > played a new song at the tail end of their shows
> ?
> > The Stones knew it was a classic even when it
> was
> > new. I love everything from the Stones, but no
> > more "classics" have come after SMU.
>
> You Got Me Rocking has stayed regular in the set
> since it's release, and have been used as both
> opener and encore. How do you define a classic? A
> regular played song? The opening riff of It Won't
> Take Long is IMO a classic Keith riff, and a
> typical stones song.

I think the meaning of 'classic' here is a mega-hit, insatantly recognizable song to many, many people...

Date: June 19, 2006 21:48

keefstheman Wrote:
>
> I think the meaning of 'classic' here is a
> mega-hit, insatantly recognizable song to many,
> many people...

Okay, I got your point. So, if a Stones Classic is a mega-hit, insatantly recognizable song to many, many people - I guess Satisfaction,Honky Tonk Women Brown Sugar,Jumping Jack Flash, Angie and Start Me Up are the only songs to be mentioned as classics?

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:50

IMHO "Rough Justice" is up there with the best...it's off the cuff - straight in your face rock'n'roll ;-)

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:59

Play ...Let me down...a little faster..rougher..its a classic..yes indeed.

Date: June 19, 2006 22:02

But anyway, have to agree Start Me Up is the last monster hit.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: June 19, 2006 22:05

Hey Rooster, interesting perspective- one I tend to agree with, however, if you commercialize "rough justice" with the whole IPOD thing (when it came out like Jet did with "are u gonna be my girl") then the second coming of SMU you'd have...

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: June 19, 2006 22:12

Yeah, I see all your points here. Classic Stones to me are Monkey Man, Cant You Hear Me Knocking, Jigsaw Puzzle, Rocks Off, etc etc, the list is endless as far as classics for true fans of the boys. I'm talking about the songs that instantly hook anyone that hears them and they instantly know who that it's the Stones. The songs with mass appeal in other words. I know that airplay and sales have PLENTY if not everything to do with this. It's good that the whole world can recognize the Stones when a certain riff hits. But it is better knowing that people like us know so much more about our Stones. That is why I put "classic" in quotes. I only meant that the Stones knew that people were really looking forward to hearing it as much as JJF, BS, etc even when it was new. The same can't be said for any song since. Except in our cases.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 19, 2006 22:34

Hey - the still outsell the Pulp!! *lol*

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: June 19, 2006 22:37

A classic Stones song to me isn't necessarily a monster hit. Though Satisfaction is a classic song I would consider Sway one too. The last classics I can think of right now, could i.e. be a song like Theif In The Night. The backing vokals in particular reminds me of songs written in the classic era (Sticky Fingers /Exile) It has that special Stones sound to it, if you know what I meanwinking smiley Many of the songs on ABB are prodused -and played in a connection to the albums around '70's. Laugh I Nearly Died could IMO have been released on Black And Blue, I mean, it has that sound to it. In general I would say that they still make good music...

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:08

They still have potential but really blow their marketing. ABB has some great rockers but they came out of the gate with a very weak ballad--single and video.

Love Is Strong was probably the last "hit" video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-19 23:09 by Chas.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:21

Imagine if Start Me Up had never been released....they kept SMU in the vaults all these years.

If they had released SMU in August 2005 as a single it would have gone nowhere in the USA charts, just like Rough Justice did.

The Stones are just not deemed "current" artists any longer in the States. The Stones are now "oldies" and "classic rock" format and don't fit the current hit parade.

Which is just how I like them!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:23

SMU is the undisputable answer. Nothing has come close to achieving that status - and none will ever again, it seems.

Posted by: JJFlash88 ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:34

It's a classic for a reason, it excites the crowd. I would say everyone on Earth has heard the song. Keith's opening riff just gives me the chills everytime I hear it. It's even a better song live than it is on Tattoo You IMO!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:34

Hey Tod, what about sol???

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:35

...all of which paradoxically, adds up to 25 years of non-classics...or at least if the selists would have you believe.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:37

Start Me Up is in a completely different league to Rough Justice.

Date: June 19, 2006 23:40

SMU was released in 1981 (only 3 years after all the radio friendly songs of SOME GIRLS).

The Stones were viewed as current hitmakers back then. They were still a hot commodity for TOP 40 US Radio. Both Miss You and Emotional Rescue were still in heavy rotation on all kinds of FM radio stations.

I do think some songs from ABB would have been a hit back in the late 70s or early 80s for the band.

Today, most of the Clear Channel ass wipes won't give a new Stones record a try no matter how good it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-19 23:43 by LeedsLungs71.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:48

A classic song has to have something inherently "catchy" about it; and it has to come at the right time and place for people to have the opportunity, or the availability, to be caught by it. As it were, an internal and an external quality. Arguably, since 1981, both qualities have not been fulfilled at once. But I think they were, in fact, fulfilled alternatively. The stones-buzz in 1989-1990 was huge, which is shown by the fact that Mixed EMotions was a hit: but it was only a short-time hit because it lack the internal quality. On the other hand, nobody cared about Bridges. But I believe that in 1989, Out Of Control would have took off and become a true classic. To me, it is the last great piece. Off ABB (overall a much better album than Bridges imo), nothing has that catchiness about it. Same thing with Voodoo Lounge, one of my very fav albums; no hits on it.
I think Don't Stop almost had what it takes as well.

Date: June 19, 2006 23:48

I agree with all of what you say LeedsLungs71, but additionally, the Stones could have helped develop the likes of Rock and a Hard Place, Saint of Me and One Hit to the Body simply by giving them more airtime in the setlists.

It's not just radio playlists that makes classics.

Date: June 20, 2006 00:02

True, radio playlists and classic songs are often at odds! I think the Stones have some "classic" songs that were never played on the radio. You Got the Silver is a great example; or Salt of The Earth and Jigsaw Puzzle. Or most of Exile...etc. Winter off of GHS is a classic to me. So is Time Waits for No One.

The thread here was a "mass appeal" classic that casual Stones fans might instantly recognize like Satisfaction or SMU.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:20

Unfortunately, classic songs are generally the most popular songs. Satisf,jjf, bs, smu. Great songs, but all hits with the "general" public. SMU is played at American football and basketball games all the time.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:23

If they hardly play new songs live they won't create "new" classics. I think that Saint Of Me could have made it to a live standard/classic.
But it's not only their fault. Single charts and air play have been the usual medium to create classics. They are gone - not much after Start Me Up radio politics changed.
In Germany they play ABBA instead every morning at 6.20 when I'm preparing breakfast for the children (I'm not really kidding!). At least, that was a band with nice girls that didn't make it in America, started 10 years after the Stones and lasted 20 years less.
There is/were a similiarity/-ies and a difference to Street Fighting Man. There are "controversial" songs on A Bigger Bang and Highwire was but they didn't play those songs live at all in contrast to SFM. But public (that includes Americans at a large degree, too) opinion agrees that the Stones are/were right. But the band doesn't take a chance on me (you see the ABBA radio influence...).

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:27

A classic can only become a classic if you give it some time to rest.

Don't Stop is a classic to me.

Date: June 20, 2006 00:50

Reptile Wrote:
> A classic can only become a classic if you give it
> some time to rest.
>
> Don't Stop is a classic to me.

Agree.

Posted by: asmallerbang ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:59

Classic pop if you like are songs that you hear a couple of time and then REALLY want to hear them again. Normally they've got a good hook AND a new original sound/groove. With older acts it's the element of surprise that draws people in. ABB was very good but it was Stones by numbers, they need to think out of the box and mix their sound up to get a new hit.

I thought "Anybody Seen My Baby" came close. It was really catchy and a slight redefinition of the Stones sound. I thought at the time if this is not a big hit then I doubt if the Stones will ever have a big hit again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 01:00 by asmallerbang.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 20, 2006 01:00

See, the secret of a classic is the feeling it gives you. What kind of emotions it brings. We've all probably had some of the greatest times in our lives seeing Stones shows where Start Me Up is always played. When you hear it now, it's kind of a souvenir from all those shows you saw. Subconsciously, perhaps. The 60's/70's are when most Stones fans were in school.. maybe those songs bring some good vibes back too.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home